• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
9d63d628-2851-4432-9747jcy.png

If our gaming future is to exist largely online, then I'm becoming increasingly sceptical of whether Sony deserves my money. The company has built the PlayStation Store into an unparalleled empire, but it's about to gut popular racing game DriveClub and wipe it from its servers. If you already happen to own the Evolution Studios developed racer then you'll still be able to access it, but all of its flagship features will be absent – and certain pieces of content will be cut, too.

Look, I understand that the Japanese giant is a business and it has to make cost cutting measures at times. I imagine that a game like DriveClub, with its underlying emphasis on leaderboards and social connectivity, likely eats into the company's precious coffers. And yes, when there's presumably a small community of people playing, it probably sees that as an unnecessary expenditure. But if that's the case: what the heck are we paying for PlayStation Plus for?

The manufacturer may argue that your annual subscription fee is invested back into the PlayStation Network's overall infrastructure: voice chat, cloud saves, parties, et al. But the price has been going up while the value has been going down, so how can it justify gutting popular first-party games when we're paying for the privilege to be able to play them online? LittleBigPlanet may still be running, but why would you ever want to invest time and effort into the upcoming Dreams when the company is acting this way?

The thing is, this isn't an isolated incident: Gravity Rush 2 recently had its online component removed, after fans campaigned to keep it alive for a few months longer. In the case of Kat's sophomore outing, it doesn't actually detract from the game, but it's a bad look all the same – he sequel was barely a year old before it wanted to pull the plug. Kill Strain, meanwhile, didn't even get to a year – it was shut down and erased from history like it didn't even exist in the first place. Drawn to Death is next in line.

More in this link

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their not wrong and its yet another shining example of Sony not giving a fuck about its consumers purchases or their software legacy.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a strange decision, considering that games continue to grow in their level of online connectivity; especially when consumers are paying a premium, recurring, online cost, specifically to fund these network services.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It definitely isn't a good look when you're asking your consumers to pay for it. Taking the game off the store due to Licensing is one thing, but pulling online play as well is another. I really hope they're able to handle their server stuff better soon. I'm still bothered with how they treated Gravity Rush 2.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
I have no idea why they would shutdown a 2014 game's servers yet continue to run Uncharted 2 servers (2009).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think Starblood Arena was the most recent example? Not as high profile as Gravity Rush 2 but kinda more damning. It's an online only game that cannot be played offline even in the single player modes. It only came out two years ago and it'll be totally unusable for people who bought it as of July this year.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
That's pretty much gamers in a nutshell to be fair

They have the audacity to remove Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3 or Witcher 3 or any other game I love? Yeah, its time to start war.

Gravity Rush 2 wasn't even a good game to begin with. A sequel so boring that I almost fell asleep. Not throwing shots cuz I love the 1st one.

DriveClub is prolly facing licensing issues and Sony doesn't wanna deal with it heading into Playstation 5.

So I'm not even upset BUT its anti consumer and dumb.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I think Sony might have some stone age tech when it comes to servers, if Microsoft is able to keep servers for old AF games alive I don't know why Sony can't. It can't be that expensive unless they have some weird fucked up system we don't understand.

Last edited:

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly it is simple no success equals cut loses and move on to the next project.
If not successful rinse and repeat.

I think it is a mistake and we should put some rounds in Driveclub on stream to show there is support. Some #keepDriveclubonline or something more catchy.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dead multiplayer games going offline doesn't make them a laughing stock.
Advertising DriveClub at the start of this gen as a revolutionary multiplayer experience, and then disabling those same functions before the end of the generation is absolutely reason for mockery.

In one generation, Sony has gone from the company offering a great multiplayer experience for free, to charging for one that delivers less with every coming year.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Advertising DriveClub at the start of this gen as a revolutionary multiplayer experience, and then disabling those same functions before the end of the generation is absolutely reason for mockery.

In one generation, Sony has gone from the company offering a great multiplayer experience for free, to charging for one that delivers less with every coming year.

Driveclub was advertised as a lot of things but when it actually surfaced it wasn't any of those things. This is nothing new. Like, welcome to 2014 or whatever. It was supposed to be a launch game. Nobody even plays Driveclub anymore and the studio itself was sold off and now defunct. I can't imagine spending my energy being upset about a dead game in a dead IP going offline 5 years later.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is more an industry wide problem considering the Nintendo Wii store isn't even accessible in its entirety which is worse than Sony hand selecting a few games. They are also giving a years notice which is a lot better than other cases like Digimon Cyber Sleuth which randomly vanished from PSN one day without any notice. Overall I wish there was more transparency from everyone for a minimum duration of service and a period of notice before removal.
Even at the moment I find myself looking at some of Telltale's games given their status and the licenses involved and wondering could they vanish from availability any day now.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its honestly just sad. Regardless of how few people play a specific game online you shouldn't be shutting down servers for your first party games on your own platform, at all. Even more so being those very same people are paying you to play those games online. You can't trust Sony and its incredibly scary in a future thats pushing online services more and more.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It makes them look like tight-fisted misers at best and disrespectful scumbags at worst. If they're gonna charge for an online paywall then surely the least they can do is keep these servers running.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I may just drop PS Plus moving forward, as they've greatly reduced the value of the network for me over the course of this generation. And I actually had Plus back on the PS3.

These decisions aren't completely unfathomable but they feel petty given how large and profitable Sony is, especially when older and smaller games on other networks are still supported.

However, I don't think that my perspective or that of the author of this article are going to be reflected in the market any time soon.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They have the audacity to remove Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3 or Witcher 3 or any other game I love? Yeah, its time to start war.

Gravity Rush 2 wasn't even a good game to begin with. A sequel so boring that I almost fell asleep. Not throwing shots cuz I love the 1st one.

DriveClub is prolly facing licensing issues and Sony doesn't wanna deal with it heading into Playstation 5.

So I'm not even upset BUT its anti consumer and dumb.

Delisting games is usually licensing. Server shutdown is Sony's choice.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think Starblood Arena was the most recent example?
I wish more people brought this game up in these threads, absolutely ridiculous how Sony handled this situation. The worst thing about this was that the devs weren't even provided the opportunity to support the servers themselves, Sony just phoned em up one day and told them that they'd be shutting down the servers, there was zero detail past that.

That's just weak. Makes me think Sony had an easier time shutting the servers down for this game without much backlash because it's a VR game.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, usually I haven't given a shit about server shutdowns, but pulling it with something like Driveclub is a step too far even for me. Gonna need to raise a stink on this one I think. Hopefully other media outlets get in on the act.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sure, you're probably right about each of these. But they should still be baking into their model that games may have licensing issues and lack popularity - but should still be supported nonetheless. Especially first party games.

Nintendo supported an entire hardware last gen that was a sales dud. And those games are still online. And when they took Wii and DS offline, that was a disgrace too.

These companies build online play into games, so they should build a long-term plan for supporting the servers. If they don't plan to do that, then make the game P2P or offline only. Multiplayer games should always give users the custom server option too.

In other words, games shouldn't be designed to lose functionality. Especially when there's such a huge retro scene out there.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It already feels like a thing of the past. To be honest I trust the likes of Google and MS much more with this stuff.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is more an industry wide problem considering the Nintendo Wii store isn't even accessible in its entirety which is worse than Sony hand selecting a few games. They are also giving a years notice which is a lot better than other cases like Digimon Cyber Sleuth which randomly vanished from PSN one day without any notice. Overall I wish there was more transparency from everyone for a minimum duration of service and a period of notice before removal.
Even at the moment I find myself looking at some of Telltale's games given their status and the licenses involved and wondering could they vanish from availability any day now.
cyber sleuth is such a good game thats really sad, at least it had physical copies, driveclub bikes will be restricted to who will buy it until the deadline, after that you can do nothing about, i think thats more problematic than cyber sleuth, that you can try to get a used game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I love the idea of playing Driveclub again, but in reality I haven't played it in years. I spent a lot of time on a few LBP levels. I assume they're still it there, but I don't know. I'll make stuff in dreams and it will be fun to see if people like it. But will I care in 2+ years? Not really. Most art is lost to the ages. I'm not offended by that fact, and all publishers do this. Sony isn't extra bad in this regard.

This is a 'don't go Sony next gen' hit piece pure and simple. We're getting a lot of these lately. Someone has a massive axe to grind me thinks.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
This is great, I was hugely on Sony ecosystem since ps1 but have slowly primarily gamed on computer. Stopped my ps+ sub almost 2 years ago.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
cyber sleuth is such a good game thats really sad, at least it had physical copies, driveclub bikes will be restricted to who will buy it until the deadline, after that you can do nothing about, i think thats more problematic than cyber sleuth, that you can try to get a used game.

oh snap i gotta get DC Bikes dlc, i been meaning to buy it but keep putting it off. I hope it goes on sale again :/

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dead multiplayer games going offline doesn't make them a laughing stock.

They're making money hand over fist with PSN and yet are the most penny-pinching when it comes to leaving servers up. The cost of leaving a handful of servers up for an old game is absolutely trivial, even if few are playing them. It's Donald Trump stiffing some kids of $5k levels of pathetic, in my opinion.

But that's where we see the differences in the big publishers - whether older or smaller games are treated as part of your ongoing library, or tossed off the minute they aren't as popular anymore.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks, but they see the MAU. Cant imagine too many people are still playing most of the games they take down. Racing games also have their own hurdles, just look at the delisted recent Forza games

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why they would shutdown a 2014 game's servers yet continue to run Uncharted 2 servers (2009).

Easy. Uncharted was a popular game. Gravity Rush and Drive Club aren't. Mind you I really like Gravity Rush myself but its popularity next to an Uncharted game and the potential players it has is much less than that of a blockbuster like Uncharted.