Votes: 1,802 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 1,653 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
We literally have people claiming it a "small graphical leap" from the Quest 🤣 Nope...wireless is literally it's only negative, in every other area, it is a big leap over what we currently have. You can tell the people that haven't actually used the Quest wirelessly, in comparison to the latest PCVR sets even...it has mobile phone power and it's a Game Gear like battery killer.

Yeah lol anyone who's played RE4 will know that while it's amazing, it's a huge step down graphically from Village and the Q2 isn't coming anywhere close to rendering visuals like that.

I think it's way too expensive for what it offers right now so it's not interesting to me at all. But I think there are enough potentials buyers out there excited to play with it.

I could see VR follow 3D TVs though, but thats just a feeling

VR and 3D TVs offer completely different things. VR is nothing like playing on a flat TV, whether it's 3D or not, and for that reason it's not going anywhere. It's totally different way of playing games.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
If they don't fuck up the port in some way Resident Evils 8 will easily be some the top tier VR games. The problem is that it's an old game and most people already know the thrills and surprises of it. It won't have the same impact like RE7 back then. But oh boy, everyone in for the first time in VR will have some serious horror experience in THAT PART.

I've never played RE8. Literally, I've just watched the trailers. The PSVR2 version will be my first time experiencing the game.

Can't wait to get absolutely scared to death.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
50/50??

Do people *want* this to fail? Wtf

I suspect a ton of crow will be eaten in 2023, and as usual, the naysayers will disappear through the cracks.
I like VR. I own a Quest 1. I've been in the market for a new VR headset for a while. With all of that said, I cannot see myself getting a PSVR2 soon unless 1) we get more big releases like Half Life Alyx and a VR mode for Gran Turismo 7, or 2) it gets unofficial PC support where I can use it with SteamVR with minimal fuss.

I am exhausted by the idea that everyone who is critical of a new VR thing is just a VR hater who wants it to fail because of some weird sense of schadenfreude.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Time for a 'How many units will Quest 3 sell?' speculation thread :-)

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
VR and 3D TVs offer completely different things. VR is nothing like playing on a flat TV, whether it's 3D or not, and for that reason it's not going anywhere. It's totally different way of playing games.
Of course not and that's not what I wanted to say. I'm just very skeptical it'll ever be as mainstream as a normal console and who knows how long companies will try to sell VR then

Oct 31, 2017
Can I just remind you all THE FULL LAUNCH LINE UP has NOT ! been announced yet!
Sony have said that they want to make some games hybrid! I think this will be fantastic for the future of psvr2 because a lot of 1st party say like Spiderman etc could make you feel you are in the game via being in 3rd person perspective but with the sense controllers also this will be a unique experience I feel it would be to vomit inducing in 1st person view.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Sony have said that they want to make some games hybrid! I think this will be fantastic for the future of psvr2 because a lot of 1st party say like Spiderman etc could make you feel you are in the game via being in 3rd person perspective but with the sense controllers also this will be a unique experience I feel it would be to vomit inducing in 1st person view.
I'll take getting sick of it means I can swing around New York in First person

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

I fully get the "I am not satisfied with the specific games that have been announced so far" sentiment. I don't share it but we all have different preferences when it comes to games.

But the people cancelling their preorders due to the state of the current launch lineup… I don't get it. Launch is almost two months from now and every other day a new game is announced as coming to PSVR2. Only yesterday a best-in-its-genre title was revealed as not only coming but also being a launch title. The launch lineup keeps growing.

If you think the final lineup isn't worth it to you, then you definetely should not keep the preorder. But no one knows the final lineup yet.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
Free VR updates for popular full games are self-evidently interesting because they are free and contain a full game's worth of content, and I really can't look up RE7 numbers because there's no way to tell how many people played it in VR. Though I can look at the fact that Sony repeated the RE7 deal again, only with more money and more work put into for a game that is nearly two years old instead of brand new, and conclude it must have been deemed successful, or they wouldn't have done that.

There's a a tiny bit here if you're curious. If it's successful or not depends on their expectations for it and budget but it looks ok to me.

game.capcom.com

RESIDENT EVIL.NET

View your "Resident Evil 7 biohazard" data online. Come join the Family!

Decade_2050

May 19, 2019
To be fair that's in-line their current messaging with PS5 as well, they've told us start paying for upgrades on cross-gen games and to buy remastered games rather than expect enhancements (how many times has TLOU Part 1 been released now, three?)

I will say that this is the first generation that I have stopped preordering/buying new games. , I have a big enough PS+ backlog that I have been playing tha. The mandatory $70 sony started pushing for crossgen games really soured me. I Picked up some games for $20 3 weeks ago and will likely continue purchasing on a 2 year delay from now on. Even picked up a couple PSVR1 games I didn't have after I cancelled my PSVR2 preorder.

I'll wait two years after the PSVR2 launch and if it is still alive I'll jump back onboard and then buy some of the games. I seriously doubt it survives.
( if sony announces backward compatibility with their own PSVR1 games I'll jump back onboard sooner)

Last edited:

LittleWinston

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 1, 2022
Hopefully there is good support from Sony. They really should have given Valve whatever they wanted to have Alex at launch.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand your frustration but rest assured, there will always be a group of people determined talk it down and see it fail, whatever facts you could present don't matter. We had similar at PSVR launch, even presenting very similar arguments that it already failed before it even launched. Your hobby psychology guess is as good as mine why they are that way but you won't be able to change their ways.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Its one thing for Sony to say that making 3rd party PSVR games compatible with the PSVR2 is up to the individual game studio. I get that . I am sure that sony could have done more to facilitate this but fine. What really drove things home to me was that Sony itself has not announced a single inhouse PSVR1 game which would be made compatible with PSVR2. You would think sony would want to show how much better the new system is by being able to see the difference in play but so far only message I get loud and clear from Sony is buy new games, screw your old investment.

I have been day one on every Playstation product . I preordered the PSVR2 and I finally cancelled that Preorder two weeks ago. I was fine with the cost of the unit but the writing is on the wall for me. This has already failed.

I haven't cancelled my preorder yet but I feel the same. Jim Ryan's PlayStation just radiates "I don't care" energy all the time and it's so frustrating.

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand your frustration but rest assured, there will always be a group of people determined talk it down and see it fail, whatever facts you could present don't matter. We had similar at PSVR launch, even presenting very similar arguments that it already failed before it even launched. Your hobby psychology guess is as good as mine why they are that way but you won't be able to change their ways.

.... PS VR2 is releasing in less than two months.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I sorta expect maybe around 100-200 games a year to get released on this? That sound about right? Of those probably 10-20 would be must plays, with the rest smaller releases.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It is DOA for mainstream success as well as bolstering a new wave of 3rd party AAAs (genuinely seen a lot of people thinking this will happen) but if Sony is satisfied with performance similar to the first one and positions it more as a niche device then yeah it's not DOA in that sense
Something doesn't have to reach the mainstream to be successful, but many people still consider PSVR a failure while it was clearly successful enough for Sony to consider seeing another one through into the marketplace and it's not really some conservative half-measure either. The software side is obsured because it always is. As for the wave of 3rd party AAAs… what does that look like anyway? I think it's achievable in some form if Sony convinces other publishers on the "hybrid" approach.

This is in no way comparable to the PS5 pre-launch, lol. PS4 was a huge success, nobody thought the PS5 was dead on arrival, they were just questioning what games it would have and what the SSD speeds were all about.
I think you may be misremembering how the next-gen thread and others (e.g. the logo thread) went around here if that's the only thing people were saying, but anyway, it's the same kind of attitude and doomposting is what I meant: looking at how Sony's marketing strategy has deviatied and making unreasonably negative assumptions about its upcoming product. What marketing we're seeing with the PSVR2 is similar to what they have done with anything that relates to PS5, even not showing off its software in abundance until they're truly ready.

PSVR was not a huge success, 5 million is the last number we got? So why all of the sudden is there all this optimism
PSVR was a success and I wonder… does it have to be a huge success to carve its own place in the market allowing Sony to continue producing it as a differentiating aspect of its consoles? I noticed that in another thread that you think 10 million sold by 2027 is doable, which is quite optimistic so it does sound like you're questioning your own sudden optimism here. Pretty sure I've answered this "optimism" question of yours in another PSVR2 thread so won't be retreading that specifically.

PSVR 2 that's more expensive is going to fare better?
PSVR2 is definitely a better value proposition than the original which too needed a PS4 and required you buying the Move controllers and camera separately. Taking inflation into account, PSVR2 is still not cheap but still cheaper than PSVR1 ended up being.

Yes the technology is much better but it still has the same hurdles it had before
With additionally quite a few hurdles that said technology has managed to overcome, for devs and players.

not many people can actually play VR
What do you mean by this?

it's still tethered with a wire that also needs the PS5 to operate.
Same as the previous VR headset they produced that was, to oversimplify, a duct taped PS3-era hardware solution that managed to sell over 5 million units in around 4 years and even with software support that could have been better. This problem they need to overcome seems minimal in that context, especially when the tethering is actually being promoted as being a good thing.

Last edited:

Ether

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I canceled my preorder after diving into the games showcase. Very little feels like a new generation of VR.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
The tech is impressive, but the price is steep. Especially if you factor in the cost of the base console to go with it. So I can see it's appeal as being pretty limited. Likely doesn't help that I feel a ton of folks were only just able to buy a PS5 recently, so dropping another few hundred on a headset might be tough to swallow a few months after paying for the system.

Some of the line up looks ok, they should try harder to lock in a HLA port (though maybe gaben wont play ball).

I hope it succeeds personally, not because I will buy one, but because I am a big fan of PCVR production values. The success of Quest 1 and 2 shifted development to lower spec chipsets for the past two years, if PSVR2 succeeds I see it leading to a bunch more high end PCVR games as developers would be smart to port any of their bigger budget ones over to PC at some point to recoup costs.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Same as the previous VR headset they produced that was, to oversimplify, a duct taped PS3-era hardware solution that managed to sell over 5 million units in around 4 years and even with software support that could have been better. This problem they need to overcome seems minimal in that context, especially when the tethering is actually being promoted as being a good thing.

I was going to say that calling the tethering a positive might be a stretch, but I actually did see someone earlier talking about how their Quest Pro apparently only lasts an hour with eye-tracking on. If that's true, I wonder if this is the main, central reason why it has a cable - wireless VR is possible, and eye-tracking VR is possible, but they're not really feasible together yet for a long enough use time. And if course once you add a cable you get to go nuts with things like HDR and such.

The tech is impressive, but the price is steep. Especially if you factor in the cost of the base console to go with it. So I can see it's appeal as being pretty limited. Likely doesn't help that I feel a ton of folks were only just able to buy a PS5 recently, so dropping another few hundred on a headset might be tough to swallow a few months after paying for the system.

Some of the line up looks ok, they should try harder to lock in a HLA port (though maybe gaben wont play ball).

I hope it succeeds personally, not because I will buy one, but because I am a big fan of PCVR production values. The success of Quest 1 and 2 shifted development to lower spec chipsets for the past two years, if PSVR2 succeeds I see it leading to a bunch more high end PCVR games as developers would be smart to port any of their bigger budget ones over to PC at some point to recoup costs.

I feel like factoring in the PS5 cost is off-base, mainly because I don't think anyone will be buying the console JUST for PSVR2. The audience will consist essentially of people who already own a PS5 - that number already being higher than the headset sales will ever reach - or new PS5 buyers who are getting it for a whole host of reasons, PSVR2 maybe possibly being one of them.

Thankfully it looks like the line-up will grow even more before launch, but I agree that an Alyx port is needed. My hope is that it's already in the pipe and being held off until later due to the launch already having stuff like Horizon and Village. I saw it pointed out that the Walking Dead game, which is already out on Quest and PSVR1, is not actually coming out on PSVR2 until a month after launch. Why? Well, it might prefer to have space to itself. It's always better to space out your big games.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I sorta expect maybe around 100-200 games a year to get released on this? That sound about right? Of those probably 10-20 would be must plays, with the rest smaller releases.
10-20 must plays a year?
That's way more than I would even have time for.
If that's the case then I'll have nothing to worry about.
What did these numbers look like for PSVR1?
How many releases did it get per year and how many of those were quality titles?

Last edited:

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Something doesn't have to reach the mainstream to be successful, but many people still consider PSVR a failure while it was clearly successful enough for Sony to consider seeing another one through into the marketplace and it's not really some conservative half-measure either. The software side is obsured because it always is. As for the wave of 3rd party AAAs… what does that look like anyway? I think it's achievable in some form if Sony convinces other publishers on the "hybrid" approach.

I think you may be misremembering how the next-gen thread and others (e.g. the logo thread) went around here if that's the only thing people were saying, but anyway, it's the same kind of attitude and doomposting is what I meant: looking at how Sony's marketing strategy has deviatied and making unreasonably negative assumptions about its upcoming product. What marketing we're seeing with the PSVR2 is similar to what they have done with anything that relates to PS5, even not showing off its software in abundance until they're truly ready.

PSVR was a success and I wonder… does it have to be a huge success to carve its own place in the market allowing Sony to continue producing it as a differentiating aspect of its consoles? I noticed that in another thread that you think 10 million sold by 2027 is doable, which is quite optimistic so it does sound like you're questioning your own sudden optimism here. Pretty sure I've answered this "optimism" question of yours in another PSVR2 thread so won't be retreading that specifically.

PSVR2 is definitely a better value proposition than the original which too needed a PS4 and required you buying the Move controllers and camera separately. Taking inflation into account, PSVR2 is still not cheap but still cheaper than PSVR1 ended up being.

With additionally quite a few hurdles that said technology has managed to overcome, for devs and players.

What do you mean by this?

I guess I just think it will be disappointing if the crux of this system's software is just hybrid/flat converts

hersheyfan