• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was the PSPGo the best handheld of its gen?

• Yes

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 58.3%
  • It's the best PSP

Votes: 27 25.0%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
While I may have been more of a DS fan during the DS/PSP era, I feel that my favorite handheld from that time has still got to be the PSPGo.

It was such a neat little device, and while may seem tacky to some, really was quite sleek, and most importantly, functional in the way it was executed.

Not sure why, but it still has a place in my heart as far as handhelds go, and though it was short lived as it came in towards the end of the PSP's time, I still felt it was one of the best handhelds during that time.

How did you feel about the PSPGo?

9PJ7Xgv.jpg

suvvGSX.jpg

15jQPIo.jpg

Z9XH5RT.jpg

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I love PSP Go for how portable it is, but especially now that I'm an adult the design is actual hell for any 3D games that utilize that analog nub.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I basically never sell my consoles - but for some reason - I sold my PSP Go.

I regret that so much. I really loved the design of it. It was so cool.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I'd like to own one for novelty's sake but it looks awful to actually hold. Kind of like a Game Boy Micro, another sleek console redesign that was rather impractical.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Love it, still have mine that I bought at release, slightly annoyed that the clear rubber plastic on the back is slowly yellowing over time (probably should have just not had it).

I think Sony could have salvage or did a better job on the system if they created a special USB UMD drive to let you use your disc on the device (or even archive or backup a single game at a time). Loosing your physical media was just a difficult thing for people to image or put up with at the time. =/

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I guess if you have little baby hands it was ok, otherwise it was stupidly cramped. DS Lite wins easily.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Like a lot of Sony products, it came before its time and was not executed as well as it could have been.

The main complaint I had with the hardware was sticking with the same 802.11b Wi-Fi that had been present since the original PSP, released nearly five years before the PSP Go. On a device that was digital only, this led to excruciatingly slow downloads.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Jailbroken that thing is an outstanding emulation machine. 16gb of onboard storage goes a long way on older games, and can't beat it for portability and form factor.

Havent used it since getting a switch, but it has literally been sitting on my nightstand right next to where my phone and switch charge for the last two years. I got way more use out of it than I did my 1000 series psp.

Edit: key to the downloads was to use the pc version of the sony store and then transfer via usb cable. Not elegant, but definitely faster. Not sure if that storefront is even still up, but I assume it would be for the vita.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I'm considering buying one in those weeks but I'm trying to figure out if I can install my PSP digital games now that the PS store doesn't work anymore on the PSP

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I still love my psp go. People would often ask me what phone I was using when I played it in public. I still hate that the save state feature wasn't on the vita.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Long term comfort is really bad, but it was super portable and the buttons (with the exception of the analog nub) are still my favorite for any handheld console. The robustness of the sliding mechanism is amazing too, I've had mine on my desk at home and regularly mess with it and it's held up for 10 years. If anyone who hasn't held one gets the opportunity, the sliding alone is worth it IMO.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Neat design but will absolutely fuck up your hands due to its size. Shoulder buttons sucked too.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved mine too. It was amazing if you hacked it, totally ahead of it's time.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The PSPgo was almost the switch. You could get a dock to play it on a tv and sync a DualShock 3 to it.

I wished at the time they would continue in that direction, but the Vita was like impossible to get on your TV. They totally could have beat Nintendo to the punch years earlier.

Oct 28, 2017
The world just wasn't ready for a digital only platform at the time, but the form factor was amazing. It's a shame we never got a Vita GO.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
This is the system I played for years before I got back into consoles. It became even better when I was able to use it for emulation.

However, I did end up recently selling it which I do kinda regret, but it was pretty rough on the hands and I just stopped playing for years in favour of other consoles. I had the same story with the GameBoy Micro.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
replaced all the other PSP for me at home. Connected to a CRT with a DS3 is a great way to enjoy PSP and PSX games.

Hated it initially because it's digital only

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Form factor's not terrible but as an actual gaming device I think the control placement is not great! For all its flaws I'd rather get a Vita.

Oct 25, 2017
With a case it's not as terrible to hold but otherwise it was like trying to play on a potato chip and way too thin for my hands.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played this once around the time it came out for about 20 minutes and my hands were cramped to hell. Uncomfortable and terrible to use, but awesome aesthetically and super small. I respect the idea, and kinda wish I could get one for collectors sake.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Would take another no doubt. It was great but ahead of its time. Now that everyone is all about going fully digital for portables it would have done a bit better.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
It's a cool design but the high price and reduced functionality compared to the 3000 killed it. I know which one I chose to purchase.