• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
The problem is that for the PS4/XB1 generation onwards having only the unpatched release version of a game is an inferior experience (sometimes broken). At least when I play an old GameCube or PS2 game I don't have to worry about the servers still hosting patches etc.

Physical ownership in the gaming space is all but dead outside of some Switch games that release in great shape. The sole remaining benefit of physical releases now is just the trade-in value.
yes and that is the sad part the digital future. It's getting to the point that even physical games are just an extension of digital games, and their temporary nature. i am actually grateful the switch uses cartridges. cartridges still house the complete game outside dlc. but eventually even they will become just download discs. solidifying the nature of the death of physical media

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I never understand the outcry about things like these. Did people expect them to stay open forever?
They should just move the games to the PS4/PS5 store. They'll need to build new emulators, but they had a PS2 emulator on the PS3 of all things.

Lots of great Vita and PSP software will also be lost.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Better to wait until it's official. They're not gonna announce that they're closing it the next day, so there will be time.

Why not just leave the games up for purchase. Are they that costly?

If I were to guess, I'd say it's probably the fact that they have to maintain legacy systems and maybe account for the older consoles when developing anything new, and whatever digital revenue PS3 and Vita games (let alone PSP, which you can't even connect to today's WiFi networks IIRC) are still bringing in is not significant enough to warrant that hindrance. The systems themselves are either EOL or basically only receive the minimum amount of firmware updates to keep them working and to prevent CFW. They're not going to go back and integrate any store changes into these consoles.

Will there be a new backwards compatibility program coming that is better than the current options?

Who knows, but probably not. Sony's focus seems to lie elsewhere, for better or worse.

is the future of backwards compatibility PSNow on the PlaysStation?

Yes, this is most likely what it'll be.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Not only PS4/PS5 doesn't have bc with PS3/PS1/PS2/Vita, Sony "is" killing its legacy.

It's understandable that those stores are probably a ghost town at the moment. But what a s*** show.

Nov 24, 2020
Tampa, Fl
Jesus christ.

Be sure to pick up the Persona 2 duology!

Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg
Persona_2_EP_cover.jpg
Oh wow, I had forgotten to get these. Thanks for the reminder.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Most of us paying attention started moving to Xbox a while back for long term availability. I even repurchased games on 360.
Same, I was ready to start investing more into ps4 early in last gen digitally but when xbox introduced it bc program I'm like nah, other than exclusives ALL my third party digital with be on xbox for longevity. Yes I know ps4 is bc on ps5 but what about when ps6 rolls around. How long will I be able to buy ps4 games then?

deflektor

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks if it's real...Haven't done any modifications on any of my hardware and I still buy ps1 and ps3 games every now and then but it looks like Sony wants the only viable way forward to be...

Under_Jolly_Roger_cover.jpg

Oh well, the bright side *for me* is that my 2 unopened copies of Elminage Original for PSP that I bought back when it was released will have their value dramatically shot up and as such I might be able to finally afford a new graphics card for my PC in the near future :D

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Welp, that's confirmation then?
Close as we're likely going to get until Sony themselves confirms. Massive bummer, I've a tonne of digital PS3 and Vita games I'm going to have to back up, and this doesn't inspire confidence in Sony keeping PS4 and later PS5 games around in the future.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
You know, a couple of months back I decided to download a bunch of games I had on my PS3 just in case this would happen. What promoted me was the fact that the PS3 store currently has a bug where the purchase button is not visible. It is there and you can press it but you have to know what buttons to press. Since it has been like this for a while without a fix, I figured they were getting ready to shut it down.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This is the nail in the coffin for any BC theories, isn't it? Unless they planned on relaunching all of the legacy content from scratch similar to the original Wii virtual console.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I checked, and I have everything that I bought downloaded. I still think that it's a big shame. I'm going full physical on PS5.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If true I'm never going to invest into the PlayStation eco system again.

I think I will build my pc sooner rather than later!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling that they'd say it's going to make the PS5 store experience better but somehow it'll become worse.

I don't know about anyone else but that website takes like 15 sections to respond for every click
It's amazing in a bad way.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
This is sad news for me. Just started collecting again for the ps3 and had some PSN titles in my wishlist just in case but it seems my hand is forced in buying them since physicals for some are super rare.

Any must buy PSN titles for the PS3?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Truly disappointing honestly. Hopefully I'll still be able to download my purchased games in that case, but I have my doubts about that. They're killing these stores off way to soon, and this is an incredibly short sighted move for them as well.

Let's just hope that the whole report is fake

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
I've got a bunch of games saved to my PS3 HDD - I assume if that was to crap out and I got a replacement then I would no longer be able to re-download those titles?

If I was to run a back up does anyone know if that would back up my games? Would definitely back up my games to a HDD for future if so.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same, I was ready to start investing more into ps4 early in last gen digitally but when xbox introduced it bc program I'm like nah, other than exclusives ALL my third party digital with be on xbox for longevity. Yes I know ps4 is bc on ps5 but what about when ps6 rolls around. How long will I be able to buy ps4 games then?

At least from PS4 onwards they're taking steps to forward proof purchases and likely make these titles available to buy in the future.

PS3 and previous gens though... they're cut off I guess.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Couldn't they just create emulators for those 3 platforms? You can't tell me a PS3 emulator is impossible for them on PS5 hardware. Kinda blows.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty bullshit.

I own all of the PSone and PSP games I want, but my PSP is a bit borked and makes playing them a pain at times, so I got them on Vita PSN.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
But, but Sony is a big company and there shouldn't be any worry since they aren't likely to go out of business I was told by so many people...

I've said for years now that a company doesn't have to go out of business for this to happen and it was only a matter of time before a major store front gets shut down once it's no longer in the financial interest of the company. This wouldn't even be Sony's first time shutting down a digital video game store either. Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony have all shut down services.

This is what I've been warning about for years about the digital future. It's amazing how people are clinging to the fact that they think they'll still be able to download their content. Maybe for a longer period, but how can you watch this happen and not be worried when Sony will lose financial interest in maintaining access to those servers too?
I think what people meant is that you can still download your purchases. It is important to note that you will be able to download anything you purchased indefinitely. I don't think anyone who is pro-digital future ever really thought that any of these stores would stay online forever. As you mentioned in your post, all three companies have shut down stores.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's expected but also disappointing. Eventually we'll lose access to download our digital PS3 games a well.

As much as I may dislike the PC platform here and there it's still my long term platform. Anything that I REALLY want to keep forever, I get on PC. The store page for Counter Strike is still up.

edit: To be fair, even the PC isn't perfect. There's too many old games that are unplayable on Windows 10 without patches being applied.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't they just create emulators for those 3 platforms? You can't tell me a PS3 emulator is impossible for them on PS5 hardware. Kinda blows.
Can they do it?

Of course.

Will they? No.

The best-case scenario is really adding these games to PS Now. Even then you won't get everything because game licensing is such a pain.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this is early. I guess MS just sidestepped the whole situation by having a complete BC program (which Sony should copy btw!).

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the silver lining is that the 360/PS3 era was when Steam really started establishing itself as a destination for indie games. That said, it's a massive bummer for fans of smaller Japanese titles, as there's a bunch of Vita exclusives that didn't see a PC port and likely never will at this stage.

May 17, 2018
My favorite generation of PlayStation. Knew this was coming.

God, I fucking hate how much Sony wants to just abandon that whole era.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I'm not entirely sure if the report paints the whole truth of the situation. Sony could shut down the on-console store but you could still buy and start download of games from the store on PC. Sure, it's definitely less practical but it wouldn't mean the end of all digital games on these consoles.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna buy the last few Vita games I'm missing, download every Vita / PSP game, save them to a hard drive and never look back.
Bless CFW.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So end of buying, but you can still download what you bought right?

Yeah, this is an important point, I don't mind the store going away but if I need to I'd like to be able to download the games again, especially considering their stupid proprietary storage system.

Though I guess you can store them on a computer and that's what I'll have to do. Can you do that directly to a computer or do you have to download to Vita/PSP first then transfer?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Truly disappointing honestly. Hopefully I'll still be able to download my purchased games in that case, but I have my doubts about that. They're killing these stores off way to soon, and this is an incredibly short sighted move for them as well.

Let's just hope that the whole report is fake
For context fucking Playstation Home had a 6 month announcement to closure window. July 2nd is about 4 months. I can see them announcing a closure then but ain't no way they are closing down the PS3 store in little over 4 months.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 came out in 2006. It's time to let go. Vita was a complete failure, time to let go of that too
"NES came out in 1983, it's time to let go"
"SNES came out in 1991, it's time to let go"
"PS1 came out in 1995, it's time to let go"

Yeah you sound as ignorant as those statements. Change your username.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The only game I can think of that I NEED to purchase before this happens in Xenogears... All these Square remasters have me hoping for a PS4 release though...

Status
Not open for further replies.