Oct 25, 2017
There are ways of doing it already. I can't remember how I did it, but I remember getting Remote Play working on my Samsung Galaxy S6, and it didn't involve any rooting of the device either.
There used to be a mod of the Remote Play app, but the guy who made it stopped working on it so now there is no way to get Remote Play without using Magisk (requires root) and you still won't be able to use a controller.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's more impressive is that PS4 still costs 300 bucks, PS2 and 3 were all much cheaper during their 6th year.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's crazy how extremely pessimistic this generation started and yet here we are, practically 100 million PS4 consoles sold. Sony really did a splendid job this gen.

To really temper the expectations we need to look at the whole console gaming platform. How many units are we at across all the key players. Then we will know what the TAM is and if the market has grown or shrunk.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
They only recently added it to iOS, so they are expanding it now. In comparison Android has a metric buttload more variety in devices than iOS, so it makes sense that they'll need more time to implement it on Android.

Also, holy crap at that Spider-Man footage. I was hoping we'd get a chance to see a clip of it and it didn't disappoint at all :)

This was Sony XPeria APK for android devices come out on 2013. Sony then activetly blocked these since 2016.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That's absolutely not the reason, it's a business decision to push their own phones.

I know historically that's been the case but I'm talking about going forward. During their investor relation event they put a pretty heavy emphasis on remote play being an important feature on multiple devices and Android phones were included in the image. Of course they had the footnote that it was currently on Xperia only, but there's every reason to believe that will expand to more Android devices going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
now historically that's been the case but I'm talking about going forward. During their investor relation event they put a pretty heavy emphasis on remote play being an important feature on multiple devices and Android phones were included in the image. Of course they had the footnote that it was currently on Xperia only, but there's every reason to believe that will expand to more Android devices going forward.

UUntil the app is literally on my phone and working, I don't trust anything they say.

I refuse to believe it has taken them YEARS to develop a fucking phone app for remote play.

It is an active decision not to either develop the app or release the app purely for business reasons. It's on their own android phones for years. They know what they are doing.

I'm not giving them credit. They hold the app hostage as a bulletpoint for their line of phones. Simple as that.