Joule

Nov 19, 2017
If you're planning on moving on from PS4 and taking your currently installed games with you to PS5, DO NOT "back up PS4" to external HDD. Simply format the drive and copy your games to the external HDD. That's how the plug and play works. Just wipe the PS4 after you've done this if you plan on selling it.

PS5 can't read the PS4 back up so it's essentially useless to back it up if you're moving to PS5. Don't mess up like me or you'll have to re-download all those PS4 titles again.

Save yourself some bandwidth and time

BONUS P.S. "made for apple" headphones now work with dualsense including the microphone :)

8rFy3.jpg

apple.stackexchange.com

Can I use non-apple headphones with an iPhone?

Is it okay to connect non-Apple headphones to an iPhone (a 5s, in this case) or do I need to use apple branded or authorized headphones for some reason?

2nd BONUS: Don't forget to change your your RGB range to limited for accuracy automatic seems borked like it was on PS4 (and I believe PS3 too)

3rd P.S.: on PS5 if there is a game you own and there is a PS4 version in game library with a little lock in the corner, don't delete it, it will just delete the PS5 version as well. For example, with Miles Morales, the PS4 version will show up in your library with a little lock in the corner. Just ignore it or you'll just be deleting the PS5 version if you try to delete or remove it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
lol I did that. sold my Pro months ago, backed it up, and then face palmed when they said that the external HDD can just be plug and play.

i did at least copy my save files on an extra USB drive just in case

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
There's a "backup PS4" feature somewhere? I've moved all my PS4 games to my 4tb external and plan to just plug it into the PS5. That's correct, right?

I was also going to do the system transfer thing with an ethernet cable but hearing all the horror stories I guess I'll just get my saves from the cloud.

b4lmung

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yup, I also did the same mistake as op.
Fortunately, I somehow moved all my ps4 games to my external HDD too (I don't know why I did that but it save a lot of my time from downloading).
However, the saves are now gone. I have to replay Ghost of Tsushima again.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Didn't even think to backup.. I just plugged my ps4 external hdd into the ps5 and after a couple of minutes of it analysing it all my games worked đź‘Ś

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is if I have an external drive that I currently use for my PS4, that will work on PS5 without being touched?
Yes, however, I will also warn that if you currently share your PS4 profile with another console/family member/friend, and your current PS4 is not your Primary, it probably means you have not updated tons of games (and in my case, I have a 4TB drive that was full of PS4 games, with 90% needing updates).

That's not necessarily an issue, except you will get endless update notifications, and it seemed to cause the PS5 UI to be slow as hell until it made its way through and checked every game. I definitely recommend setting up the PS5, download any PS5 games, get that stuff sorted, BEFORE connecting your external drive, as it made doing anything on the system a pain for a good hour or two, haha. I think I also exacerbated the issue by not having enough free space on the external for all of the updates go through, so I had about 20 errors in the update section. Definitely don't do that, haha.

Once it chewed through everything though, it seems to work great (aside from the occasional PS+ collection game that I have in disc form, meaning I have to delete the disc data and redownload the game if I don't want to use the disc (or sold/gave away the disc)).

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Dope, glad I read this thread. I'm setting up my PS5 right now and I've just transferred my PS4 harddrive games over to the 5. All my others are on the external.

I have another question, maybe someone can help me. Is there a maximum amount of external harddrives you can have on the PS5? I've got my PS4 one but I also got one the other day for my PS5. I didn't know I could use my PS4.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
theres nothing special about the apple plug besides how apple wires it on there devices. its otherwise a standard plug.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Cool, thanks all. And I'm guessing once I plug my drive into the PS5 I'll want to copy those games over to the SSD to take advantage of any improved load times?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Dope, glad I read this thread. I'm setting up my PS5 right now and I've just transferred my PS4 harddrive games over to the 5. All my others are on the external.

I have another question, maybe someone can help me. Is there a maximum amount of external harddrives you can have on the PS5? I've got my PS4 one but I also got one the other day for my PS5. I didn't know I could use my PS4.
iirc there's no limit to how many external HD you have, but you can only have one plugged in to the PS5 at a time, at least right now, according to the FAQ lol.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Apple earbuds finally working feels like a generation too late.

But it probably mean common earbuds with mics will now work as well.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Yup, transferred all my games to my 4tb HDD downloaded my saved data from the cloud and it was easy peasy! Will move some to the PS5 for those added enhanced performance.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have PS Plus cloud saves yet, so I exported a PS4 backup to USB, thinking I'd be able to extract my saves from it. Formatted and traded in the Pro, got my PS5, no way to get my saves.

I guess I could borrow someone's PS4, restore, export the saves the workable way, and then restore a backup of their's, but I really cannot be with sufficient fuck for all that.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
What's if I do not want to use an external drive so I can utilize the SSD? I honestly haven't looked into any of this (busy irl) and picked up my PS5 today. Won't set it up until Saturday at the earliest.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So... if I have an SSD that I pulled out of my PS4 Pro, I'm SOL, right? That would be the same as a backup?

OP
OP
Joule

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
theres nothing special about the apple plug besides how apple wires it on there devices. its otherwise a standard plug.
i mean i agree but there has always been an issue with these types of headphones and DS4. among other things like treadmills, elliptical and stuff
Should it be limited or full on a CX?
if you don't want to crush your shadows, change the setting on PS5 (and PS4) to limited. Automatic is broken as usual. Leave the settings on the LG CX to Auto. It's not broken on the TV
Depends entirely on what you set your TV to, but leaving both on automatic is working fine for me so you likely don't have to touch either.
I honestly believe automatic RGB range on PS5 is busted but I could be wrong
sorry for the stupid question, but how do you format the external drive?
In the settings when you plug one into PS4 or PS5 it gives you the option to format it in the "storage" settings. you have to format to use it with the consoles
Ooooooo didn't know that about the iPhone headphones. That will be great if I want to do a quick chat with someone.
yeah so dumb that they didn't work before but glad they do now
So... if I have an SSD that I pulled out of my PS4 Pro, I'm SOL, right? That would be the same as a backup?
no because it has the PS4 OS on it
PS4 used the OMAP standard.
PS5 uses CTIA by the sounds of it.
i'm not knowledgeable on the subject but whatever changed from dualshock 4 to dualsense, it looks like "apple" headphones work properly now and I'm happy :)

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, there's something about using the ethernet port that appears to be causing database errors and bricking consoles or something? I haven't found the original thread but everyone's recommending to avoid using it for now in the PS5 help thread on reddit:

www.reddit.com

r/PS5 - PS5 Help Thread | Setting Up, Tech Support, Error Codes, FAQ and more.

621 votes and 9,888 comments so far on Reddit

Aww crap, I did that already

Nothing seems to have happened tho

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have a solution to Modern Warfare? I'm using the PS4 disc. After downloading all the add ons (apparently they have a high res pack for the PS5)... it's not letting me start the game...and it says to delete the game/app... and reinstall it (by putting the disc back in) but I'm worried all those add ons/data packs will have to be redownloaded again.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Can the usb c port on the controller be used for usb c earphones? Or is it just for charging? I have a bunch of Samsung AKG eaephones but they're all type c, got no standard jack eaephones/headlhones with a mic

Camillo

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks alot for your advice, I was already preparing to backup my PS4 just for one game (Pinball Arcade, most of its tables aren't available for download anymore). Will save a lot of time by just copying one game :)

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did this and lost my PS4 screenshots, trophy pics and videos. The saves weren't an issue because of PS+ and I did keep an external SSD with some games installed. It's not a big deal, but annoying still.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If you remove your external storage from your PS4 and plug it into the PS5 without any changes it will work.

I know because that is exactly what I did with the external HDD I was using on my PS4.

The PS5 immediately detected my installed games on the external drive and they worked as-is.

Sony even outlines how this works here

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question. Can I redownload my digital ps4 games on my ps5 without having uninstalling it on my old PS4 this having a copy on each console?

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I didn't need to format my external hard drive. I took it from my PS4 and plugged it into the PS5 before the first power on.

Of course chose not to copy from a PS4, after all of the setting up my PS5 just played the games

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
damn I'm lucky. Didn't even know you could back up a PS4 to an external drive. I copied over all my games last night to my external ssd and my PS5 picked it up and started working with it immediately.

I had to download my saves from PS+ though. If I didn't then I guess I would've had to do the PS4 to 5 transfer.