• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YAY OR NAY

• Yay

Votes: 208 88.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 27 11.5%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was apprehensive and skeptical about SOR4's soundtrack at first, but over time it has super grown on me and I believe it has some good-ass music that truly lives up to the legacy of the franchise. It has a few callbacks and references to the stylings of the original games, but it ain't just nostalgia, it contains plenty of variety and has its own vibe. A lot of the tracks are just fantastic.

olivierderiviere.bandcamp.com

Rising Up Extended + Down The Beatch, by Olivier Deriviere

2 track album
Rising Up is basically the game's anthem.

This is one of the smoothest tracks I've heard in a video game in a while

Funky is right.

Strolling through Chinatown feeling like a complete badass.

Vibin'.

What's also great about the music and you can't really appreciate outside of the game is how dynamic it is, tracks will weave through several phases as you move through a stage.

And I gotta say that Yuzo Koshiro brought his A game to the tracks he contributed.

youtu.be

Character Select

Provided to YouTube by IDOLCharacter Select · Yuzo KoshiroStreets of Rage 4 (Original Game Soundtrack)℗ SEGA, Dotemu, Mutant Ninja, Brave Wave Productions Li...

youtu.be

They're Back

Provided to YouTube by IDOLThey're Back · Yuzo KoshiroStreets of Rage 4 (Original Game Soundtrack)℗ SEGA, Dotemu, Mutant Ninja, Brave Wave Productions Limite...

The soundtrack in SOR4 is honestly as good as the game itself, and both of them only get better the more time you spend with them. Oliver Deriviere and his team of guest composers did a top tier job.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I turned on the retro soundtrack right away, but yea these are good. Will listen to the actual soundtrack on my next play through!

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Rising Up is probably my favorite track in the whole series. I don't think there's a single track I dislike tbh.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
xK1irQD.gif

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I LOVE the soundtrack. I'm even glad that they didn't go all big-name artists: Rising Up is probably my favorite track and not from Koshiro, after all.

It doesn't feel like it's retreading old ground, but it's a perfect fit for a new Bare Knuckle.

gotta figure out how much i like Call the Cops, it might be getting an unfair boost in my brain because it's from the level where you beat the shit out of a million cops

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I would expect no less from the talent behind the soundtrack! I still need to pick up SoR4, but I think I'm going to wait until the more readily available physical release comes out.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Olivier Deriviere is one of the best VGM composers of the last decade, yet to hear a bad soundtrack from him

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad that Streets of Rage 4 turned out the way it did, and so glad that people seem to have largely accepted it as a great entry. From the gameplay to the visuals to the music, it's my favorite retro revival since Mega Man 9, and I was as skeptical as anyone when it was first announced. Still waiting for my buddy to be free to do a hard mode run, but in the meantime I will gladly listen to these tuneskies with my good headphones in.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I repeat: this is the best soundtrack of this gen.

My best was Velocity 2X. But this one is simply better. Storm Boat is ridiculous. Down the Beach plays too short. In fact, they should create a beach level just for this track.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I LOVE the soundtrack. I'm even glad that they didn't go all big-name artists: Rising Up is probably my favorite track and not from Koshiro, after all.

It doesn't feel like it's retreading old ground, but it's a perfect fit for a new Bare Knuckle.

gotta figure out how much i like Call the Cops, it might be getting an unfair boost in my brain because it's from the level where you beat the shit out of a million cops

When the cells open and the beat drops...

The soundtrack is phenomenal, the dynamic transitions are dope, it's contemporary while still respecting the legacy. And the game is top notch.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Listening to the songs in isolation is one thing, but hearing them as they dynamically evolve throughout the level as you play is something else entirely.

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
Agreed, the soundtrack is downright goosebump inducing.
My favorite is this one, for the Genesis vibes:

Best of all, uploaded by the original creator!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good, but I listened to 2's full OST the next day and it wasn't close. And that was limited to using the genesis hardware, man.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I repeat: this is the best soundtrack of this gen.

It's up there. SFV beats it by volume tho.

Listening to the songs in isolation is one thing, but hearing them as they dynamically evolve throughout the level as you play is something else entirely.

The way the music is queued in the game is excellent. Some of the best in a 2D game since Samus taking that elevator ride and Jungle Floor fading in.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Came in here to complain about describing music as "bangers" but I was pacified by Funky HQ :-o

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't good DESPITE the limitation. It was so good because of it.

I mean, I don't think it would suddenly be better on different hardware, no. But now they can do literally anything and it's less good.

There's also a glaringly obvious difference between the quality of the Yuzo tracks and the other guy's tracks on 4.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But Jeff Gerstmann told me it was bad.

I think it's fantastic.

It's a great soundtrack but Jeff was right in saying it doesn't have the sound of the older Streets of Rage. The series music was absolutely dripping in late 80s/early 90s club hits inspiration and this soundtrack doesn't have much of that tbh.

Oct 26, 2017
It's good, but I listened to 2's full OST the next day and it wasn't close. And that was limited to using the genesis hardware, man.
I'm a huge fan of both SoR2 and it's soundtrack to the degree that it was incredibly influential in my musical taste as a youngster but I think you're doing Olivier Deriviere's work a massive disservice here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The way each portion of Call the Cops transitions based on where you're at in the level is always incredible. Gets me hype every time

www.youtube.com

I'M SCREAMING.. THIS GAME IS A MASTERPIECE. | Streets of Rage 4 Gameplay

I haven't been so hype playing a game in YEARS! WELCOME, to Streets of Rage 4. Join The Samurai ► http://bit.ly/1vKSGtU That Twitter Tho? ► https://twitter.c...

same man.

i want some couch co-op :( fuckin' covid.

I wish online supported four players—that must be something to behold

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I was really confused when I first listened to the soundtrack. I went into it with the foreknowledge of people saying it was disappointing, but as I listened to track after track of straight heat, I was slightly upset with myself for lowering expectations.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Heck, yeah! Soundtrack is such a great fit.

'On Fire' is one of my favorites. I actually said, "Oh, damn!" out loud at 1:07 on my first playthrough.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great soundtrack but Jeff was right in saying it doesn't have the sound of the older Streets of Rage. The series music was absolutely dripping in late 80s/early 90s club hits inspiration and this soundtrack doesn't have much of that tbh.

I said it in the thread leading up to SoR4, but SoR2's soundtrack was extremely contemporary. It would be silly to make old sounding music when SoR2 was making music that was literally the cutting edge of dance sound. I really detest making things nostalgic just for nostalgia's sake.

While I thought Double Dragon Neon was great and Virt's soundtrack was phenomenal, that was in spite of the SUPER TACKY over-the-top 80s/90s nostalgia throwback.