Do you watch how you spend your money?

• Not really...

Votes: 87 6.8%
  • Kinda?

Votes: 430 33.6%
  • LOL. I wish I had money to worry about spending, you dork.

Votes: 170 13.3%
  • I don't gotta worry like that... no offense.

Votes: 80 6.3%
  • Of course. Money is precious.

Votes: 512 40.0%

• Total voters

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I also learned the hard way that not all payments process in under a week. That means that $500+ school payment you made last week might not get processed immediately and suddenly you're scrambling to get out of the red because you bought something else while the school payment was still processing, and my dumb ass didn't remember it until I was suddenly in the negatives a few days later.

What I've been told to do is pay bills with a credit card, use a debit card on everything else. I don't have a credit card just yet cause I don't want one, but that's what I'll be doing when I eventually need to get one.

I get 2% cashback when I use my CC. I literally make money just by spending it on stuff I was gonna buy anyway!

Just don't overspend and pay it off every month. If you were gonna spend $20 or whatever in cash anyway might as well just put it on your card and don't forget to pay it off.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I COULD have the money to buy X in my debit account, but why should it sit there uselessly all month, actually eating itself up (inflation)? Instead, I pay off my CC debt in full every month along with my other bills, transfer the money that's left over to my investment account where it can do something useful, and leave my debit account with only a small amount for stuff that has to come out of there. Then I use my CC to pay for stuff during the next month, and repeat.

Of course you shouldn't use a CC to buy stuff you don't actually have the money to cover. So if you're living paycheck to paycheck it's maybe not the best idea, unless you're very careful to never go over what you can pay off.

I do this exact thing. Its so easy to do, that I am surprised how bad people are at it. When I was younger, I barely put anything in the investment account though. I needed to have a few thousand dollars every semester to cover grad school fees and I would need to have cash available for stuff like car maintenance once a year.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm genuinely curious how this is universally panned as 'bad advice'. Credit Card debt is right up there with Student loan debt as a major issue with a lot of Americans today.
I've personally taken up this mantra myself. If I don't have the money to buy it using the money in my checking account than I shouldn't be putting it down on a credit card either. The temptation to impulse buy on shit you don't need, want or really afford is higher in my opinion. So far this philosophy has worked out great for me. And I've seen a lot more friends get themselves in serious financial trouble due to credit card spending.

Well yeah, if you can't control yourself then don't use a credit card. But for people who are actually responsible, using a credit card can give you cash back, extended warranties, price protection, vacation/trip insurance, ability to dispute charges, etc. depending on the card. All for free.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Dude im always scared of my spending, heck i often postpone to buy something till the next month even if I can easily afford it.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Alternate take, always use a credit card. Pay it off in full every month. Enjoy your good credit score and card rewards.
This. As long as you use it for relatively small things that you can pay off in a reasonable amount of time, it's advisable to build your credit. I often think of it is a slight cash advance on my next paycheck or two and subtract the amount I spent from them. If I can't cover the value of what I'm buying in a paycheck or two and have money for my daily expenses then I try to hold off unless necessary.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
What I've been told to do is pay bills with a credit card, use a debit card on everything else. I don't have a credit card just yet cause I don't want one, but that's what I'll be doing when I eventually need to get one.

I felt the same way as you and didn't get one until I was 26, but honestly it's better to get one and just use it like a debit card and you pay it off every month (never carry a balance). You earn cashback/points and you build up your credit report.

In terms of watching my spending I don't keep an eagle eye on it, but try to limit large unnecessary purchases and normally try to save at least couple hundred bucks each month. I recently got back into using Mint, but I just set my budget to my normal monthly recurring bills and just watch the monthly cash flow to see how much Im saving.

Last edited:

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This is horrible advice. Use a credit care, be smart about spending, pay it off every month, reap rewards.
Meh I see this a lot but I'm more focused on saving money. ... I've looked into things like Costco corporate and I wouldn't even make my money back on it. They try to upsell you " just buy your house insurance here ". Yeah no.
I feel having a rewards card often becomes a driver for spending more than you need to id rather just keep it .

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a bank does do that for you in the us. this situation sounds like a case where you're ordering a transfer out of your bank account for school payments. in which case the payment would take a few days to process. your bank tells you when the money is transferred. it is not the bank's fault that a customer forgot they scheduled a transfer.

Oh yeah, sure, if you intentionally schedule it for a certain date in the future. I never do that, I always leave the date empty (meaning make the transaction ASAP). Don't like it looking like I have money that I actually don't.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
An Excel sheet with the details of your expenses is your best friend. Update that shit daily and you'll be clear on what you have, OP. Or use a budgeting app on your phone.

I've been tight on money this year, so I pay up my bills and mandatory expenses in the first week of the month, and then if I managed to save an amount by the final week, I see if I use a bit on non essentials - clothing is what I'm thinking - and the rest, even if its a miserable amount, goes to savings for a rainy day.
This month was hell, though, since I had to buy my contact lenses.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I feel you OP. I've been living paycheck to paycheck for the last year or so because A) divorce and moving out is expensive even if you don't pay a dime of the legal fees and B) the zero interest promos on some of my credit lines expired and hit me all at once.

To make things worse, I owe $1200 in taxes this year (I've never owed) because my marital status wasn't single for the entirety of last year and I was recently diagnosed with gallbladder disease and had to have it removed. So now I'm all of the sudden in debt for an additional $5k.

Doing the math and cutting out everything unnecessary I'm going to be in the red every month, and when I called National Debt Relief they told me they can't work with my taxes (even though a rep a few months ago told me they could) and that my private student loans aren't applicable because they were consolidated with a small federal loan over a decade ago.... even though they're still privately serviced.

So yeah, I'm straight up drowning right now.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, sure, if you intentionally schedule it for a certain date in the future. I never do that, I always leave the date empty (meaning make the transaction ASAP). Don't like it looking like I have money that I actually don't.
right but you can't do that sometimes. e.g. when I would pay certain costs at university, they didn't allow an instant transfer. the uni had their own finance/tuition portal and you'd enter your banking information and then they would say that a transfer would occur in a certain number of business days. but it wouldn't show as pending or anything on my banking account, because the transaction hadn't been initiated yet.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
No kidding OP, lol.

I actually take it to an extreme. I use a phone app where I enter every single one of my expenses. It's really neat actually because I can see how much I spend on whatever on an average month, and I can compare myself to different periods of my life, like how much did I spend on groceries back when I was living in Japan compared to when I was living in China etc.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP. I've been living paycheck to paycheck for the last year or so because A) divorce and moving out is expensive even if you don't pay a dime of the legal fees and B) the zero interest promos on some of my credit lines expired and hit me all at once.

To make things worse, I owe $1200 in taxes this year (I've never owed) because my marital status wasn't single for the entirety of last year and I was recently diagnosed with gallbladder disease and had to have it removed. So now I'm all of the sudden in debt for an additional $5k.

Doing the math and cutting out everything unnecessary I'm going to be in the red every month, and when I called National Debt Relief they told me they can't work with my taxes (even though a rep a few months ago told me they could) and that my private student loans aren't applicable because they were consolidated with a small federal loan over a decade ago.... even though they're still privately serviced.

So yeah, I'm straight up drowning right now.

Sucks to have all that hit you at once. But it sounds like you had credit debt before all this, that you're now getting hit with. That's the one thing here that's on you it sounds like.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
right but you can't do that sometimes. e.g. when I would pay certain costs at university, they didn't allow an instant transfer. the uni had their own finance/tuition portal and you'd enter your banking information and then they would say that a transfer would occur in a certain number of business days. but it wouldn't show as pending or anything on my banking account, because the transaction hadn't been initiated yet.

Oh, I've never experienced anything like that. Banking is generally very smooth and simple here in Sweden.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread is incredibly confusing. When we refer to a credit card, we really mean a debit card - and I'm not even sure you can get credit cards here.

No kidding OP, lol.

I actually take it to an extreme. I use a phone app where I enter every single one of my expenses. It's really neat actually because I can see how much I spend on whatever on an average month, and I can compare myself to different periods of my life, like how much did I spend on groceries back when I was living in Japan compared to when I was living in China etc.

Does your bank not keep check of this automatically? Or is this a pay by cash thing.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes af, OP. Get it together!

YNAB was the foot that kicked our ass in to gear.

We started using it almost 5 years ago and we wouldn't be in the same position without it.

Seriously y'all, if you take anything away from threads like this, it is get a budget, I personally prefer zero sum accounting budgets like YNAB, where every dollar had a home, and stick to it.

Refine it, rework it and learn to live within it. Single income family of four and we are comfortable now, if for nothing other than becoming more thrifty and frugal. We count where every dollar goes, we are willing to move the money around but we make sure we can pay for everything before buy/do it.
This was me. Totally changed my financial life. If I didn't have it, I'd look at my account and think I had a lot to spend. But really, it's all spoken for between emergency funds, annual expenses, and retirement savings. The best thing ever.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use my CC for everything possible and pay off the balance. My bank's app makes it so simple and I'm getting substantial amount of free money from cash back rewards.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It's a practice, OP. It takes time. Don't stop buying things you want just space them out. I used to have a game fund where I took out $20-$50 bucks a pay check in a PayPal or venmo. That was made as my guilt free money.

Honestly, I had to hit rock bottom to appreciate and learn how to spend better. Hope it's not the same for you, OP.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Does your bank not keep check of this automatically? Or is this a pay by cash thing.

I never use cash, but no my bank doesn't keep track of how much I spend on groceries, eating out, drinking, games, etc., in graphs or otherwise. I don't even know how it could. Even if the bank sees "Amazon" in the transaction history it would never be able to know if I purchased a book, some socks, or something for the household.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
um, no. if you are responsible with your money, a credit card is literally the best thing you can use. Just a month ago I had to do some home improvement projects on the house. I looked and saw that amex was giving 20% off home depot gift cards with reward points. Got $400 home depot credit for $0.

Not even counting the potential cashback rewards you could get with a CC, but a CC is safer than using debit/cash. With a CC, you are playing with the bank's money, not yours. Sure, if there is fraudulent activity on your debit card you will eventually get it back, it might only be a day but it could be a week+. If you have a house/rent payment, car payment, or any other large payment, especially when it is autodrafted, you could be fucked if someone stole your debit card at the wrong time. You will eventually get that money reimbursed, but it is rough when your checking account is low/negative.

With a CC? Just don't use that card for a few days, the money in your checking account is literally untouched.

This. Your CC is your shield. I just had mine skimmed, and they blocked it automatically. Then removed the charge. None of my money was ever touched, and per most credit card companies (I say most because I don't know, it's certainly the major ones), your money will never be touched. Just call it a fraudulent charge and move on.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never use cash, but no my bank doesn't keep track of how much I spend on groceries, eating out, drinking, games, etc., in graphs or otherwise. I don't even know how it could. Even if the bank sees "Amazon" in the transaction history it would never be able to know if I purchased a book, some socks, or something for the household.

Of course there's big general places where they wouldn't know, such as Amazon. But yea, my bank keeps track of all my different expenses in the categories you mentioned above.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread is incredibly confusing. When we refer to a credit card, we really mean a debit card - and I'm not even sure you can get credit cards here.

Who does? Where are you from? Here in Sweden I know there are some that just call all cards "credit cards" (mainly people who don't know the difference), but in general debit cards are just called "bank cards" here, while CCs are CCs (although you can also have one card that does both).

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
YNAB.com really saved me. My wife and I have been struggling with our finances ever since we were married, but their budgeting software was the first thing that actually worked for us. It's relatively expensive, especially when compared to the free alternatives, but I will gladly pay the fee every year, because it's really changed our lives.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
OP, I feel for you, and I'm sorry. I can't speak internationally, but as far as the US goes, financial literacy and personal finance is something that is becoming far less common in schools, and it's a shame.

I think the use of a credit card can be both good AND bad advice, as many have stated. If you have the discipline, and treat it like a debit card by paying it off every month, then certainly its beneficial. If you don't have that discipline, then it's another liability. Most people don't have that discipline.

OP, I'd suggest taking a look at the personal finance subreddit. They have a bunch or resources there that could greatly help you out. I use a spreadsheet to track my cashflow, along with a Google form to automatically log purchases, and I got the template from the subreddit,. I'd be happy to share my modified one with you if you'd like.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who does? Where are you from? Here in Sweden I know there are some that just call all cards "credit cards" (mainly people who don't know the difference), but in general debit cards are just called "bank cards" here, while CCs are CCs (although you can also have one card that does both).

Denmark. When paying in a shop you'll most often be met by 'skal du ha' den pĂĄ kredit?' but basically no-one has a credit card as far as I know.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Side advise: almost NEVER use a credit card. Only crack it when you are on a real pickle that needs to be solved asap.
Uh, no. Every single payment I make is on my credit card. I don't carry debt on my card, it helps build my overall credit limit and raise my credit score. This is silly advice.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Side advise: almost NEVER use a credit card. Only crack it when you are on a real pickle that needs to be solved asap.
This type of advice is most suitable for irresponsible people who can't curb their vices. If you're at a counter - or an online checkout - and have the choice between debit and credit, always go for the latter, especially if it's a purchase you would otherwise have to make regardless of how you were going to pay for it. The benefits are twofold: More credit history and credit points redeemable for cash.

Oct 27, 2017
I use a credit card for everything I can and pay them off in full every single month. Great way to earn rewards without ever paying a cent of interest.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alternate take, always use a credit card. Pay it off in full every month. Enjoy your good credit score and card rewards.

Why would I use a form of payment that nets me no rewards? I never carry cash.

OP, you should really use You Need a Budget. I've always been good with my money, but YNAB took me even... Further.... Beyond!

It's almost an obsession to be under budget now, and thanks to YNAB I can.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I had a long stint of unemployment early on in my career, about 8 months and it basically gave me PTSD where I was freaking out about money all the time as I watched my savings dwindle.

Sometimes I'm way too frugal but its worked out ultimately and given me a nice back up to dip into should I ever run into that situation. Once a week, I basically look into my account and calculate how many months I can live without a paycheck.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why would I use a form of payment that nets me no rewards? I never carry cash.

OP, you should really use You Need a Budget. I've always been good with my money, but YNAB took me even... Further.... Beyond!

It's almost an obsession to be under budget now, and thanks to YNAB I can.
Do you pay for a YNAB subscription?

I've tried several budgeting apps and didn't enjoy any of them. What do you recommend?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a long stint of unemployment early on in my career, about 8 months and it basically gave me PTSD where I was freaking out about money all the time as I watched my savings dwindle.

Sometimes I'm way too frugal but its worked out ultimately and given me a nice back up to dip into should I ever run into that situation. Once a week, I basically look into my account and calculate how many months I can live without a paycheck.

If you dont mind, I'm curious, how long would you be able to go without income?

With current savings I could go around 14 months.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If you dont mind, I'm curious, how long would you be able to go without income?

With current savings I could go around 14 months.

About 2 and a half years, and that's without ANY form of paycheck/unemployment benefits. Used to be way more but got married, bought a house and had to buy a new car, so I'm slowly building back up.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Sucks to have all that hit you at once. But it sounds like you had credit debt before all this, that you're now getting hit with. That's the one thing here that's on you it sounds like.

Most of it was within arms reach of being paid off until I lost my job, and depended on the cards for the months after my severance ran out. By the time I found a (much lower paying) job I had racked up a considerable amount. That's when the separation from my wife took place and I had to move out, file for divorce, etc.

So just wave after wave of ultra-suck.

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
I know I still should but no, not really. My heart isn't in it anymore. I don't shop around or check what I have spent but generally I imagine I spend less often than I once did.
Too much effort these days.

Oct 25, 2017
you need to use something like Mint or YNAB to keep track of your spending. I've been doing it for years and it helps keep my budget under control.

my main problem though is still spending more than I have to. Not more than I can, just more than I need to spend. There's room to trim things down still I guess but I need to commit to just not buying stuff outside of necessities ever really.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
This type of advice is most suitable for irresponsible people who can't curb their vices. If you're at a counter - or an online checkout - and have the choice between debit and credit, always go for the latter, especially if it's a purchase you would otherwise have to make regardless of how you were going to pay for it. The benefits are twofold: More credit history and credit points redeemable for cash.
Plus if your credit card gets compromised it's an easy fix. If your bank account gets compromised it's a nightmare.