• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ordered a 65" and a new media stand that can actually fit the next gen consoles — my current one would not. I have a friend lined up to buy my B7 from me, and that's really the biggest factor in this short-term upgrade decision. Sure, I do badly want HDMI 2.1 and some of the other quality of life features since I got mine, but I could've waited if my friend hadn't agreed to buy in and essentially help me fund my CX.

Delivers on Tuesday. Going to use it to distract me from the election news. Picked up my new media stand today but I'll construct it on Sunday or Monday.

I sunsetted my PS4 Pro and my Xbox One X and reset them. Already gave my Xbox One X to a friend; the friend that's buying the B7 from me will be getting the PS4 Pro when he comes to pick up the TV too, he just has a regular PS4 right now and doesn't want a PS5 until a bit later. Just gonna game on my Switch and my gaming laptop until my next gen consoles arrive.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
How much is the return shipping going to cost you?

They're waiving it but I think it's normally $50. Seems so dumb, maybe I'll try again tomorrow to get a different rep who is willing to go against policy when it makes no sense.

Edit: after reading around it seems like Amazon wouldn't care but it might be a problem later for me if I have a warranty claim and the serial #s don't match. But I've found posts of other people in this having similar issue and getting Amazon to give store credit which would be fine with me so I'm going to try again and instead of asking for partial refund I'll ask for a promotional credit.

Last edited:

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
My 55" is being delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I never upgraded to the Pro or One X and I've been on this Panasonic plasma from 2008 so really looking forward to this.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, I'm not sure, it kinda sounds more like a fundamental issue than a specific TV's problem. VRR + eARC probably just can't play along.

Anway, here's the choice posts from that other thread, I found worthwhile to consider before buying:

Issue is that not even the CX is perfect (although it is right now the best 2.1 option). 4K@120Hz with HDR works great but enabling VRR causes dark areas to flicker. In addition, I appears that eARC and VRR don't play well together either. Basically, VRR on TVs is botched in general.

Do not buy something based on a promise future firmware update. You don't know how that will turn out. There's been examples of gotchas that came up after firmware updates have been released or heck even the upcoming Yamaha receiver has a hardware bug preventing the promised firmware from functioning properly with HDMI 2.1.

It's also worth noting that literally every manufacturer has been having significant issues with 2.1 implementation (video linked): which is to be expected as this is brand new stuff and we're in the early adopter phase.

Honestly, 2020 is not a good year to buy a new TV. I know it's super tempting but the best thing to do is wait until next year, let the teething issues resolve and take a call on what's the best option in market after extensive tests and RL feedback.

Someone just tell me what 65' TV I should get for my PS5. --- Lol Wait til 2021 models to hit for everything is honestly probably the best way to go at this point.

For the people that are hesitant on the CX with the VRR issues. Wait until LG actually fixes before even buying it. Either through an update or by releasing the CX11 which will likely come out next summer.

The clear option right now if you haven't already bought a TV is to wait. HDMI 2.1 support will be available in many more sets next year, so you'll have better choices in where to make sacrifices.
Thanks for putting this together.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Pulled the trigger on the 65 inch. Super excited. Wife gave me the side-eye when I hit checkout but I'm sure she'll think differently when I'm rockin that HDR and 120fps on my PS5 and XSX.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for putting this together.

I think it's a good litmus test. If you can read through all those takes - and still want to get the TV, then you'll probably not regret it. I'm pretty much convinced I'll get it as well, but I like to see what to expect beforehand. It'll be a beautiful TV, just flawed in some ways compared to future models - but for a lot of what I'll use it for those flaws won't be an issue.

LtOrange

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
I jumped on this deal to get ready for the new consoles. Does anyone have HDMI cable recommendations? I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this tv and I have no idea what I'm doing.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
My wife convinced me to hop in, so I bought one. 65" cx from costco coming next month along with the ps5

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped on this deal to get ready for the new consoles. Does anyone have HDMI cable recommendations? I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this tv and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Piggybacking. The new consoles come with HDMI cables. Are those going to be good enough for my LG CX or should I buy something extra?

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting to get a 65 inch LG Oled, but I'm going to wait until the HDMI 2.1 spec is fully ironed out.

I'll probably get a C11 that hopefully has an ATSC 3.0 tuner around this time next year.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I loved an OLED but I have a bad habit of leaving the console on for hours at a time on either the dash or in menu in a game, I have this bad nightmare of getting 'Open Director' and my Emblem from Destiny 2 burnt in to one if I did go for it.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I tried convincing myself against upgrading my TV but after some research and my GF telling me to do it, it looks like I'm back in the game to buy this.

I would've gone the Costco route but with the coverage being limited, I'll go Best Buy especially since I can already do the 24 month financing.
Also I've seen that burn in was a concern of the past but not so much with these newer models, I'm not sure though.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
I've been waiting to get a 65 inch LG Oled, but I'm going to wait until the HDMI 2.1 spec is fully ironed out.

I'll probably get a C11 that hopefully has an ATSC 3.0 tuner around this time next year.
I tried convincing myself against upgrading my TV but after some research and my GF telling me to do it, it looks like I'm back in the game to buy this.

I would've gone the Costco route but with the coverage being limited, I'll go Best Buy especially since I can already do the 24 month financing.
Also I've seen that burn in was a concern of the past but not so much with these newer models, I'm not sure though.

I want the 65 CX so bad. I've added it to my cart on Best Buy like 10 times today, but I just can't justify buying a new TV every 2 years lol. So I'm just accepting I'm gonna ride with my B8 until maybe PS5 Pro and just be happy and enjoy.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Getting the 55' CX from Costco tomorrow for my desk PC/console gaming mega desk gaming area. I have a 65' C9 from last year that was my biggest purchase in like a decade that is my main movie/TV watching unit, but unlike most people here and most sane people in general, I don't actually really like couch gaming, and then to hook my PC up to it requires a 15 foot HDMI cable strung across the floor. That and the fact that I frequently have to sneak in gaming time during the day because my time is so limited at night means that if I don't have it at my desk I won't use it much.

So I am justifying this to myself and all of you in this thread as I spend $1349 on another TV tomorrow. In all fairness, 1. any PC monitor anywhere near this good would be smaller, have worse HDR, and cost just as much, 2. this will be forward compatible as a TV and for gaming for ~minimum 5 years, and 3.I'm resellingas much of my unused stuff as possible to make a huge 2x console plus TV commitment this fall. WIth my PC with a 2080TI I should be good to go for years now and having it all in one place at my desk will be so nice.

Also! if the consoles end up being more powerful than we thought or frequently having 4k60 or 120FPS modes once AMDs DLSS equivalent comes out, I can downgrade PC parts and justify it even easier. There, I have convinced myself again!

Now to somehow see if my wife will not notice the difference (43' TCL to 55' OLED)....wish me luck?

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
Just said fuck it and placed an order for a 55" CX, replacing my TCL 55P605. Got it for about $900 with some gc I had saved. I don't trust my roommate with it so I am going to mount it in my room lol.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So from what I've read the main flaws for the CX series are:

4k 120hz + VRR is broken (stutters, and other problems).
VRR + eARC audio doesn't work right at any resolution 1080p - 4k (sucks if you want to use a soundbar).
Burn in can ruin the set.
It lacks the bandwidth for the highest spec 4k HDMI 2.1 video (48Gbps needed, it is limited to 40Gbps - so lower depth color bitrates are needed)
It's a bit expensive (2x the price of comparable sets while still having issues in the HDMI 2.1 4k 120hz output).

Anything else?
1) it's not broken, it doesnt work as well as it should but it can be fixed via a firmware.
2) didnt hear about this. but if true, something that can easily be fixed via a firmware.
3) rtings and hdtvtest has done several videos of burn in tests and its very rare. you have to be gaming with the same hud for 5 hours a day for months for it to have burn in.
4) this is true, but also bs because this is literally the best picture quality in a tv you can buy without spending $5-8k on a tv. i have an hdmi 2.1 x900h and the picture quality doesnt even come close to sony's own oled let alone the cx.
5) it's expensive, but at $1,849 for the 65 inch set, it's less than double the price of the x900h, the only other major hdmi 2.1 4k 120 hz LED tv on the market.

i am typing this on the x900h right now. and here are the issues i have with it.
1) picture quality is good but comparable to the ks8000. a 4 year old tv. HDR brightness might even be less than the ks8000.
2) only 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, one of them being an eARC so you literally cant use soundbar with a PC and a PS5 or with two consoles. no firmware update can fix this.
3) hdmi 2.1's 4k 120 hz mode on PC is blurrier than 1440p 120 fps. reddit and then rtings confirmed it, hdtvtest contacted sony and sony literally said they went motion clarity over picture quality. i shit you not. they said that. i literally started the return process for this tv after reading that this morning.
4) no vrr yet, but if it has the same issues hdmi 2.1 has with 4k 120 hz, i dont trust sony to get vrr right either.
5) vizio and samsung qled both have issues with hdmi 2.1 and vrr. LG CX isnt the only one, and it actually supports gsync unlike the other tvs.

and finally, this is the best gaming tv on the market. 4 HDMI 2.1 slots vs 2 for sony and only 1 for samsung. gsync support. amazing picture quality. please dont take any offense, but posts like yours will turn people away from THE best tv out there, and as someone who got influenced by such posts and spent $1,600 on a sony x900h instead, I am now regretting it.

to everyone else, buy this tv if you can afford it. there is no better tv out there and this is a great price for either size set.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Any rumors for next years TV especially the LG c11 lineup? Wonder if they are going to use 12bit panels with full bandwidth hdmi 2.1. 240hz?

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
One of the major pros for me is the input connections on the TV are on the left side of the back vs the right side on the TCL which limited all my peripherals to be set up in a position. I didnt want. Now its going to work out perfectly with how I want things connected.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this thread for making me seriously contemplate an upgrade. I wouldn't even think about it if my C8 was pristine, but it's had a major defect since I got it at the start of last year. A truly horrendous uniformity, where any time it hits the dark grey/near black spectrum, a really huge pillar of black rears its ugly head on the left third of the screen from the bottom, to nearly the top. It's pretty pervasive in basically any genre the TV is actually supposed to excel with. But I don't need VRR (I doubt most do) for the next-gen consoles, since that will likely be ultra niche with the few games that will actually support it, and I have a monitor for PC games where I feel like I'll really need it. Plus, I think the most I could get for my C8 right now would be $500 anyway, which would basically cover the warranty of the CX.

If the CXI is an improvement, I will likely just get one of those instead next year. I also want to be able to actually go to the store in my area to return the TV if it has any problems out of the box. The C8 is my second LG OLED, and both have been problematic and impossible to return since I "got a good deal" online.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
The 48" seems like the perfect gaming TV.
Yeah, but extremely difficult to find and more expensive than the '55. I was originally completely set on doing that, and then changed my mind when the 55' dropped so low - just going to set it back about a foot further (never intend to do any desktop work or probably anything like an RTS on it in the first place).

Lanofrose

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting for Black Friday. Seems like prices will be just as or even lower based on last years 9 series prices being lower than its late OCT/ early NOV offerings (77 inch more so then 65). Most likely going with the 65 inch C9 or CX, but if that 77 inch comes down to near 3,000 maybe I jump on that (which i didn't think seemed possible, but look at how hard it is discounted already.)

Last edited:

RaphaBE

Sep 19, 2020
California
Yeah, but extremely difficult to find and more expensive than the '55. I was originally completely set on doing that, and then changed my mind when the 55' dropped so low - just going to set it back about a foot further (never intend to do any desktop work or probably anything like an RTS on it in the first place).
I was in the same boat and it was a really tough call. It's difficult to justify spending more on a smaller screen, but the 55" would have required some awkward changes to my desk setup. I've received the 48" today and I'm very impressed so far, though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I purchased it through Costco, by the way.

As others, I have some mild concerns about burn-in but I'm not overly worried either. I imagine that - even with intensive use - it should easily last 2 years before burn-in potentially becomes an issue. Obviously I'd prefer if it lasted much longer, but it isn't unusual to replace TVs after 2-3 years anyway (and it can always be recirculated to a bedroom or some such).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a LG CX 55 myself back on September 29th.

I guess it would be pointless to return my set just to get it at the lower price, huh.

Depends on where you got it, and how much the hassle is worth it to you. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a 65'' C8 at my local Best Buy for $2,000 March of last year. I was waiting for the C9, which turned out not to be worth it over the C8, and then when I actually decided to buy the C8, I had to get it online, or else pay $2,500 locally (which I honestly should have).

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was in the same boat and it was a really tough call. It's difficult to justify spending more on a smaller screen, but the 55" would have required some awkward changes to my desk setup. I've received the 48" today and I'm very impressed so far, though I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I purchased it through Costco, by the way.

As others, I have some mild concerns about burn-in but I'm not overly worried either. I imagine that - even with intensive use - it should easily last 2 years before burn-in potentially becomes an issue. Obviously I'd prefer if it lasted much longer, but it isn't unusual to replace TVs after 2-3 years anyway (and it can always be recirculated to a bedroom or some such).
I've had my oled 5 years and it's been fine so far. If you go crazy you can make the TV have temporary image retention but proper burn is is very hard to achieve.
You need max brightness and the same image for hundreds of hours.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Depends on where you got it, and how much the hassle is worth it to you. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a 65'' C8 at my local Best Buy for $2,000 March of last year. I was waiting for the C9, which turned out not to be worth it over the C8, and then when I actually decided to buy the C8, I had to get it online, or else pay $2,500 locally (which I honestly should have).

It got it from Amazon for just under $1700 including taxes and shipping.

I just checked the Best Buy link and it doesn't matter anyways, It says it's unavailable within 250 Miles and with no shipping options.

Even so this new TV is worth the price I paid. It's the best picture quality I've ever seen.

Then again my TV progression is basically Sony Wega KV-20FS120 > 32 Inch Toshiba Regza 32RV530U > 49 inch Sony Bravia X800D > LG CX 55.

I don't typically upgrade TVs often, like once every 5 to 8 years.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Then again my TV progression is basically Sony Wega CRT TV > 32 Inch Toshiba Regza 1080P HDTV > 49 inch Sony Bravia X800D > LG CX 55.

I don't typically upgrade TVs often, like once every 5 to 8 years.

Haha. My progression was a Sony Wega (fucking heavy) > 1080p plasma > B6. I've never personally owned an LCD "TV", but I've had plenty of LDC/LED PC monitors if that even really counts. I saw how ugly LCD was compared to CRT and noped the fuck out of that race regarding TVs. I tried to upgrade around every 5 - 8 years as well, but was kind of forced to last year, and ended up with a TV I can't wait to upgrade from. The issue is that I don't need a new TV right now, and mine actually looks stellar in approximately 80% of the content, and in all video games. It just looks like absolute dog shit with that last 20%.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good litmus test. If you can read through all those takes - and still want to get the TV, then you'll probably not regret it. I'm pretty much convinced I'll get it as well, but I like to see what to expect beforehand. It'll be a beautiful TV, just flawed in some ways compared to future models - but for a lot of what I'll use it for those flaws won't be an issue.
I bought and installed the 65GX yesterday - so hoping it's a good TV.

I'm interested to see how some of the BFI and VRR stuff shakes out. I would have liked to go above 60FPS if I could but i've managed to live with 30FPS on a 100ms+ response TV so anything will feel like an upgrade to me.

Oct 27, 2017
shiiiiiit those are good deals. I'm already 100% decided on buying a CX 65" when I move to a new place next month. Hope these sale prices repeat around then.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a 65" last Friday for almost $600 more, thank god best buy price matched it.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Bought the 55CX yesterday, haven't set it up yet. Is there a new user guide I can read up. What should I expect, calibration is obviously big.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the 55CX yesterday, haven't set it up yet. Is there a new user guide I can read up. What should I expect, calibration is obviously big.

I went with what RTings suggested, but if there's better options I'm all ears.

www.rtings.com

LG CX OLED Calibration Settings

We used the following calibration settings to review the LG 55" CX (OLED55CX), and we expect them to be valid for the 48" model (OLED48CX), 65" model (OLED65CX), and the 77" model (OLED77CX).

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm so torn. I fucking hate my Sony x900f for watching movies and the shite viewing angles drive me nuts, but it's basically fine for games...My wife would rightly kill me if i bought this.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I'm not sure what being cut from the same glass as the 77" means. But I've seen that as a reason it's so expensive.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I love Costa Rica but these things always annoy me. The CX was not available here this year, (they skiped it, not sure if it was COVID related or what).

I´m hoping they do bring the C11...

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what being cut from the same glass as the 77" means. But I've seen that as a reason it's so expensive.
Hmmm - I am not sure either (and honestly, the 48' does work much better for my space) but it is so hard to justify spending more for the smaller screen. I am off to Costco in a few hours (they dont have the 48 on the floor) so I guess it will be an impulse decision either way.

Anyone else know if there is actually some difference in panels between the 48 and the 55? We would love to know!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn. I fucking hate my Sony x900f for watching movies and the shite viewing angles drive me nuts, but it's basically fine for games...My wife would rightly kill me if i bought this.
I'm curious what has disappointed you with that set, movie-wise? It tends to be pretty well-regarded, apart from viewing angles (as an X930E owner, I understand that pain.)