Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
So will it switch to the right resolution in borderless now? That's my issue with fullscreen borderless.

My desktop resolution is always lower than my in game resolution (because things get too small to see otherwise). I have to manually switch resolution every time I want to play something that's not in exclusive mode.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
So will it switch to the right resolution in borderless now? That's my issue with fullscreen borderless.

My desktop resolution is always lower than my in game resolution (because things get too small to see otherwise). I have to manually switch resolution every time I want to play something that's not in exclusive mode.

If you run a lower resolution on the desktop you are doing it wrong. DPI scaling is the feature you want to use instead to make things larger and easier to read.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
If you run a lower resolution on the desktop you are doing it wrong. DPI scaling is the feature you want to use instead to make things larger and easier to read.
That doesn't work with all things. Like certain programs (rpg maker, clickteam fusion, I think?) and even the file properties window becomes very blurry by doing this.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't work with all things. Like certain programs (rpg maker, clickteam fusion, I think?) and even the file properties window becomes very blurry by doning this.
Generally, that "very blurry" appearance is what's happening to your entire screen if you are using a lower resolution.
It just stands out more when placed next to the much sharper output of applications which are rendered natively at the higher resolution.

If you stick to integer scales: 1×, 2×, 3× etc, the scaled result should be sharp.
The main problem is that it may not leave you with a lot of workspace.
That's why I wish 5K and 8K monitors were more available/affordable. 2x scale on 5K, or 3× scale on 8K gives you a super clean 2560×1440 workspace, while 2× scale on 8K gives you a 3840×2160 workspace.

For lower resolution displays, combining an integer scale like 2× in Windows with NVIDIA's DSR set to 50% smoothness, you can emulate how Apple handles scaling on macOS.
Everything is rendered at 2× scale to look sharp, and supersampled from a higher resolution to give you a larger workspace.

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I tried this out for Apex (Steam) and GTFO and got less than optimal results. I have a 9900K/2080 setup and I easily get 60fps in both but using anything but exclusive fullscreen or fullscreen in general gives me pretty annoying FPS drops. Unsure if it's the optimization between both games but as soon as I went back to exclusive fullscreen, it's working great again.

Windows 10 and all drivers are up to date and the only thing I have running is Discord (disabled overlay) and Core Temp. Also disabled the overlay in Steam so unsure what is causing it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried this out for Apex (Steam) and GTFO and got less than optimal results. I have a 9900K/2080 setup and I easily get 60fps in both but using anything but exclusive fullscreen or fullscreen in general gives me pretty annoying FPS drops. Unsure if it's the optimization between both games but as soon as I went back to exclusive fullscreen, it's working great again.

Windows 10 and all drivers are up to date and the only thing I have running is Discord (disabled overlay) and Core Temp. Also disabled the overlay in Steam so unsure what is causing it.
Did you try it with the fullscreen optimizations setting or SpecialK?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Ran borderless for a long time, then someday my PC decided to give me a black screen in all games unless I ran fullscreen and here we are.
Was nice while it lasted.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Alt-tabbing in a fullscreen game doesn't bother me so I just use that because it's far less of a hassle.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, that "very blurry" appearance is what's happening to your entire screen if you are using a lower resolution.
It just stands out more when placed next to the much sharper output of applications which are rendered natively at the higher resolution.
They're not remotely the same. Not even close.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't work with all things. Like certain programs (rpg maker, clickteam fusion, I think?) and even the file properties window becomes very blurry by doing this.
You can override that for programs that aren't DPI aware (anything that becomes blurry or scales badly with non-100% Windows scaling). Right click the .exe file, go to Properties, Compatibility tab, Change high DPI Settings, then check Override high DPI scaling behavior, so the app does the scaling. I tested it with Audacity, which is blurry with 150% scaling, and it makes it sharp.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
You can override that for programs that aren't DPI aware (anything that becomes blurry or scales badly with non-100% Windows scaling). Right click the .exe file, go to Properties, Compatibility tab, Change high DPI Settings, then check Override high DPI scaling behavior, so the app does the scaling. I tested it with Audacity, which is blurry with 150% scaling, and it makes it sharp.
Okay, thanks! That does actually work. I could've swear I tried this before without success. I'll try this out for a while and see how it goes. I just wish Microsoft would fix all the apps in their own OS to support this. Most noticeable file properties.

Edit: A reastart fixed the blurry file properties.

Last edited: