• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Costco XSX basically went oos instantly from what I can tell. If you can't even get one of these things on a membership website now seems like it's gonna be impossible pretty much everywhere.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's so insanely hard to get one that I think I might just end up not caring eventually and wait it out. I really wanted to play Cyberpunk on a PS5 on release but it might not be possible.

Like... this shit fucks me up. Make it local pick-up only with phone number/capchas, limit 1 per number/payment option and everyone is set.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
Jury's out on that, but given that there wasn't one on Friday, it's possible that we're gonna enter a dry spell in which stock gets saved up for Black Friday.

I really hope not. These smaller stock drops are better than larger ones, particularly if the bots and the demonspawn that use them don't get out of bed for anything other than announced stock drops.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming no Direct Queue, whats the next drop looking like? Retail stores have it online for black Friday? Is there a schedule for stores and their times that it would be available?

Arken

Jan 14, 2018
Seattle
I'm on the team of why can't it include phone number confirmation along with captcha? Is this so difficult to implement or is it just they don't give a flying-shit?

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gamestop opens up 7AM and isn't open on Thursday. So I suggest calling around on Wednesday and checking stock on popfinder to see how much your location of choice will have. They are expecting a MINIMUM of two per store.

Two disc? Two digital? one of each? One playstation one x box? who knows, messaging isn't entirely clear. So if you're gonna camp it out or something. Try your best to not waste your time ahead of time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They don't care. A sale is a sale.
They care, a sale isn't a sale when it's a bot for a reseller who will be returning the device in just under a month when they couldn't sell it for over $1000. It's also bad for the company image. This is why BestBuy has been trying more and more things to battle the bots, and why stores like Costco limit it to 1 per customer and threaten canceling orders.

But the question is, is how much they care worth the expense of battling bots? For some companies, the answer is, no.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm checking my email like hourly hoping my MS Store order for the XSX ships. I don't think it's worth playing the brick and mortar game since I've got an order secured I just don't have faith they're shipping it early. I'll be waiting until 12/23 I have a feeling 🧐

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
anyone got any leads on a Pulse 3D headset? i have a console and everything and my partner and i are currently sharing headphones, i'd rather just have my own for gaming. failing a Pulse does anyone have any recommendations on PS5-compatible headsets that don't look like knockoff transformers?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop opens up 7AM and isn't open on Thursday. So I suggest calling around on Wednesday and checking stock on popfinder to see how much your location of choice will have. They are expecting a MINIMUM of two per store.

Two disc? Two digital? one of each? One playstation one x box? who knows, messaging isn't entirely clear. So if you're gonna camp it out or something. Try your best to not waste your time ahead of time.
Thats good advice. Thanks! Hopefully I won't even had to consider Gamestop and I can get one online earlier

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats good advice. Thanks! Hopefully I won't even had to consider Gamestop and I can get one online earlier

Of course! Just be safe if you have to do gamestop option. I'd say if you're not even in the first 3 in line, don't both. Ask the people ahead what they're there for and go home if they're taking what you want. Not worth dying over this shit.

Let's all get something on or before Wednesday. After Friday, there's no mention of when or who is getting stock.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I just randomly refreshed Costco about 5 minutes ago, it let me add to cart but not place order, then eventually it let me complete the order (after about 15 tries). I'd say refresh Costco a bunch and see if it lets any of you in.

Edit: For Series X btw

I'd assume it's flickering stock, maybe for people that canceled or something?

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
How so. Is the markup between disc version and digital version that significant to generate a profit? I'm not sure the cost of adding a disc drive and other connecting components, but I'd think the profit margins between the two would be really insignificant.
They are losing money on both. The disk drive only saves a few dollars.

I'm pulling these numbers out of no where, but if they are losing $100 on PS5 then they are losing like $190 on DE.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
They are losing money on both. The disk drive only saves a few dollars.

I'm pulling these numbers out of no where, but if they are losing $100 on PS5 then they are losing like $190 on DE.
Looks like the sale of the sale of the two break even, basically.
www.polygon.com

Report: Sony struggling with PS5 costs, price point uncertain

Bloomberg says the system currently costs $450 to make
They lost more money selling ps3.
www.cnet.com

Is Sony eating hundreds of dollars on each PS3?

The game console might cost you $499, but it's got $806 worth of parts and manufacturing behind it, a research firm says.
I don't think the money lost in selling DEs is significant enough to not produce more. At least that wouldn't be that primary reason for doing it. I understand demand for fully digital may not be understood so they we're likely more conservative on that front.