• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I just hope both consoles will support BC well. Right now my Xbox One cant play like 90% of my Xbox 360 games and 99% of my OG Xbox games and I was beyond disappointed when they announced that no game will be further added to the BC program.
Yeah I hope once the series x releases they continue bringing more old games to the program, make sense they paused it to get the hdr and 4K upscale stuff working alongside Xbox one BC but its not anywhere close to where it should be.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I just hope both consoles will support BC well. Right now my Xbox One cant play like 90% of my Xbox 360 games and 99% of my OG Xbox games and I was beyond disappointed when they announced that no game will be further added to the BC program.
That's a licensing rather than technical limitation, due to the way BC has to work on the different architecture. Licensing won't be an issue next gen given the new consoles will be able to just execute the original code rather than it needing to be recompiled.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They will continue testing PS4 titles up until launch.

This makes sense.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That they will have a very limited BC for PS4, at least for the launch period?

It doesn't say that.

It suggests it will improve over time with updates.

That only tells us it won't be 100% out of the box, with the base system software going into launch machines (which would be software being loaded onto machines right about now). It doesn't tell us how far short of 100% it'll fall. It doesn't tell us where it will be with day one system updates.

Based on Cerny's comments in the Road to PS5 video, we knew the launch day compatibility wouldn't necessarily be the end of the story, nevermind the compatibility with software going into boxes at the start of the summer. There may be patches and changes over the course of the testing process which will at least run through to launch, if not beyond.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I bet it's going to be very few games that won't be supported, no need to panic yet.

And i bet one of the very few games is going to be Bloodborne.
They didn't even bother to have a Pro patch and i have 0 faith in them making a day one "enhanced patch" at launch for PS5.

I hope it will be. It's a big first party title so it would make no sense if it wasn't, really.

A big first title and it didn't receive a Pro patch to begin with.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this just means it's a day 1 update, then the mention of supported games is just to cover their ass if a few games don't work. At least I hope that's the case.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
tenor.gif

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
So if there's potential trouble with basic backwards compatibility does that mean there won't be automatic enhancements without extra developer work? It sounds like games will have to get patched to take advantage or there will just be a boost mode that doesn't give access to a good chunk of the hardware.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is the not so secret Smart Delivery of Sony, you are still going to play 4k games with better Res and FPS but this should be their Smart Delivery.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's crazy how opaque they are with this whole situation. I wonder if they don't even have a precise estimate in-house of what will be the number of PS4 games playable on PS5 at launch.

I hope they'll be more transparent in their coming presentations, but it shouldn't be such a big deal right now, and it's absolutely the result of their repeatedly vague wordings and illustrations.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
That topic title sure is...something.
We know nothing.

Why not wait instead of being concerned over nothing?

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm aware that when the PS5 is in PS4 mode every game will work, the compatibility issues were when the system was in PS5 mode with the faster clocks etc which is what they are working on, so that unlocked frame rate games for example would run closer to the frame cap.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So if there's potential trouble with basic backwards compatibility does that mean there won't be automatic enhancements without extra developer work? It sounds like games will have to get patched to take advantage or there will just be a boost mode that doesn't give access to a good chunk of the hardware.

Per their prior blog post on this, there'll be 'boost mode' enhancements - higher framerate, lower loadtime, higher res 'potentially' (i.e. in dynamic res games, presumably). Enhancements that would require code intervention will, well, require code intervention via patches.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That's what they told us before. They can't ensure all titles will work on PS5, but the overwhelming majority will. This's not something new.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So the OP saw this:

44OVIF.jpeg

But I see this at the link below:
KseD0d.png

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Everything you need to know about the PlayStation®5 console and PlayStation®5 Digital Edition with a new slim PS5 design. The best PS5 games, PS5 accessories, and the DualSense wireless controller.
Huh. What's going on? Maybe they were just editing it or something.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They will never say "play all" PS4 games, because even 99% of support will open them to pointless lawsuits.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Really with the thread title?Why must people constantly stoke negativity around this place?

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine some big leaks might come from the PS website over the next few days.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Some people here overestimate how much everyone actually care about backward compatibility.

I am buying a new machine for new games that are impossible in the old machine. I am sure most people feel similarly, otherwise the PS4 and Switch wouldn't be so successful.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we could wait until the actual page is online and not making assumptions about webcached pages. Hard I know.

Either way the wording doesn't mean anything different that was already said.

Deleted member 62078

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I'm concerned that this lines up exactly with what Mark Cerny said regarding backwards compatibility a couple months ago and now I'm being asked if I'm concerned about it now that it's on a website.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
That is a weird sentence. You could also interpret it to mean that it would update select PS4 games to play with enhanced features, like Smart Delivery.