• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will be the good news to reduce the shock of price?

• Big Game Reveals (Not yet revealed)

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • Full Backwards Compatibility

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • A unannounced bit of tech in the Ps5

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Nothing, they'll go as cheap as possible

Votes: 78 45.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
499 on both it is fine.

But first of all we need to understand bom costs. People are saying north of 499... If that is the case I don't know.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget, Sony is the company that pulled these price/marketing stunts:

You don't have to be sensible to be successful. These were both after competitor announcements too. This ain't their first rodeo in the price wars.

That second video and their smugness with sharing used games is so ironic now that they're pushing a digital only version of their console at launch.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know why people think it's going to be insanely expensive. It's the best way to hand over the generation to Microsoft and Sony are not about to do that. $399 for digital and $499 for the disc version. Even if they lose some money, they can make that back from subscriptions.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people think it's going to be insanely expensive. It's the best way to hand over the generation to Microsoft and Sony are not about to do that. $399 for digital and $499 for the disc version. Even if they lose some money, they can make that back from subscriptions.
Xbox will always be 3rd place in install base because japan doesn't buy it, there's not really anything they can do about it

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
the difference some of y'all put in 400 vs 500 is crazy it's 100 bucks for something you're gonna have for 8 years. If you think something like as powerful as the PS5 or X is gonna be 400 you're tricking yourself

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's no way the digital releases with less than 1.5 TB SSD, and that will balloon the price significantly.

It's not. Jim Ryan confirmed it's just a disc drive addition/exclusion.

"As you saw, there is a small difference in the form factor of the two consoles. I'm sure you also observed, the basic design aesthetic is consistent between them. So there is that and the fact that the digital edition does not have a disk drive. That is it. Other than that, they are identical products."

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they had a $399 product between the two SKUs we would have already seen the price.

So $499 is probably a minimum.
They didn't talk about price the same way they didn't show the UI, or the console breakdown. This was about solely games and to ensure all attention was on games. Announcing price would've dominated the conversation.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This applies to both Microsoft and Sony but I've been wondering lately if we might all end up pleasantly surprised by the cost of these machines. We've all seen the articles about the cost of the parts or whatever, but in 2020 both companies can afford to take bigger losses up front than ever before. They know that a decent chunk of people who buy the systems, especially early adopters, will sign up for PS+, Xbox Live, Gamepass etc. for the whole 7 years of the generation or however long it ends up being, so maybe they're thinking they can take the hit now and recouped it down the line?

Sure they can afford to take bigger losses, but their goal will be to find the optimal price for minimizing losses while assuming the most advantageous market position possible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

My original thought on price was $449, now with two versions, perhaps they can push it down to $399 for the digital, and that way they meet their $399 price. Even MS (so I read on Era) believes Sony was going for $399 some time back.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's not. Jim Ryan confirmed it's just a disc drive addition/exclusion.

"As you saw, there is a small difference in the form factor of the two consoles. I'm sure you also observed, the basic design aesthetic is consistent between them. So there is that and the fact that the digital edition does not have a disk drive. That is it. Other than that, they are identical products."
Yeah I was looking for this interview. Didn't realize there were so many since the reveal, lol

www.cnet.com

Sony's PS5 design is 'bold, daring and future facing," PlayStation CEO says

The PlayStation head, in an interview with CNET, discusses the new PS5 design, launch games like Spider-Man, and pre-orders.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Full BC would be limited to the disc version of the PS5 though.

That's what makes this whole thing annoying.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Disc drive may only cost Sony $20 but the value added by it for a consumer far exceeds that. Cost is irrelevant in the decision. Especially if full BC is true. Like I'd gladly pay $600 if there's full BC , even if digital is available for $400.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If the Playstation were 400 dollars...they'd be screaming it from the rooftops. There'd be no reason to play chicken. I don't know why people keep thinking you're getting this type of leap for that amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.