• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does your PS5 controller make any noise?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
is this......a new level of insight i was not aware of.....are you telling me Micolash was right?

d8fd40cd84dcda226a297ddb138a153e.jpg
I think it definitely qualifies as Madman's Knowledge.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I have coil whine in my ears ........ Sony!!

Is my Tinnitus a result of Sony using inferior parts?

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
My controller is silent other then the "click" when the triggers lock/unlock that 8s annoying as shit but only noticed it in Astro so far

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I've heard/felt the adaptive triggers disengage in Spidey when bringing up the UI, but I think that's normal. I haven't heard any coil whine from my controller or console though.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Your controller doesn't have coil whine that's not how that works like... at all.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
As someone who is very sensitive to this stuff and has been on this site shitting on Sony for how bad it is on my PS5, I can't hear anything coming from my controller.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Just held my DualSense up to my ear like a moron and I can confirm that it DOES make a sound. 99% sure it's because of the microphone/speaker and it's completely inaudible when not directly holding it to your ear.

RNK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No coil whine, but I can hear the motors and haptics quite a bit. They make beeping sounds and higher pitched squeals when swinging in spider man. I'm assuming(hoping) it's normal and they've found a way to have the controller mimic sounds using the haptics as well as the speaker. If not, both of my controllers are defective...

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Not coil whine but my R2 trigger does make a noise sometimes, like some loose parts rattling inside. I first noticed it when I played the rocket thruster level in Astro. If you played the game, you know the L2 R2 triggers go crazy during that part, I suspect something came loose there and now I can occasionally hear some rattling coming from the R2 trigger when I play games with adaptive triggers.

But it's not a constant noise, it doesn't happen when I play Valhalla. I think the warranty only cover the console itself and not the controller? I would buy another one but waiting for some new colours.
That sound is just the effect of the adaptive triggers repeatedly engaging and re-engaging (and only that part of Astro's Playroom uses that specific effect of "on-off-on-off-on-off"). It may not be intended, but it is expected.

May 19, 2020
i'm holding my super nintendo controller up to my ear and i can hear coil whine. wait, no, it's ants. now there are ants in my ear. anyone else have a problem with super nintendo ants in their ears?

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm maybe outing myself with a lack of knowledge here but I swear I had never heard of the term coil whine before the PS5's launch. (That's not to downplay concerns about coil whine and noisy PS5s, it just amuses me that I'd never encountered the term before and we're worrying about controller "coil whine" now? Wild)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Virtually any electronic that has some kind of transformer in it - i.e. most electronics - will have some amount of coil whine, usually barely perceptible. If you start paying attention to it, it will drive you crazy.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I ran it through Audition, and it's definitely there. No telling if it's actually coming from the controller and not the system across the room, though. Or anything else, for that matter. And I did have to increase the volume around a hundred-fold.

Junker

Oct 27, 2017
I don't notice coil whine but it seems the buttons have ray tracing? Can anyone confirm?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I ran it through Audition, and it's definitely there. No telling if it's actually coming from the controller and not the system across the room, though. Or anything else, for that matter. And I did have to increase the volume around a hundred-fold.

This is exactly how the movie Contact began.

I don't notice coil whine but it seems the buttons have ray tracing? Can anyone confirm?

That's right.