• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
So you think the rumor is credible? I don't think it'll confuse customers but just seeing the best possible hardware at a higher price tag might turn them off

No idea who the dude is. I think its unlikely but I don't think its that any more confusing than Microsoft's approach. A PS5 costing like $400 and a PS5 Pro which has some better specs, more storage and whatever for like $600 doesn't seem that crazy to me. To me it makes more logical sense than Microsoft's (supposed) approach where they are trying to sell consumers on 2 wildly different specs as both being next gen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, to the depraved enthusiast, perhaps. But how many PC users have a GPU rated at 12TF?
I do, but it's an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti (factory overclocked) and I highly doubt it'll run Halo Infinite at the same level Xbox Series X will.
XSX has plenty of power to deliver as a baseline for 9th generation software.
Yep

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Eh, to the depraved enthusiast, perhaps. But how many PC users have a GPU rated at 12TF?
I do, but it's an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti (factory overclocked) and I highly doubt it'll run Halo Infinite at the same level Xbox Series X will.
XSX has plenty of power to deliver as a baseline for 9th generation software.
A RTX 3060 will be around that.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
No idea who the dude is. I think its unlikely but I don't think its that any more confusing than Microsoft's approach. A PS5 costing like $400 and a PS5 Pro which has some better specs, more storage and whatever for like $600 doesn't seem that crazy to me. To me it makes more logical sense than Microsoft's (supposed) approach where they are trying to sell consumers on 2 wildly different specs as both being next gen.
Here's the thing with that though if Sony comes out with a new playstation, at launch, with a price tag of $599, a lot of casuals might immediately jump to the thought of when Ps3 was $599 with a $499 option. In my opinion, it's just not good for the public persona to see such a high price tag even if it is only a pro/hardcore preference.

Not only that, but if Sony were to just have one SKU at launch at $399, then drop the price after a few years, the Ps5 pro could be even more powerful than the theoretical launch Ps5 pro, and it could be $399 instead of the launch $599. It's a win win for everyone

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
That's using 1100MHz clocks, if using normal clocks (1800MHz), expect even larger TF.
And yes they calculated it wrong, it's 16TF at 1100MHz and 27TF @1800MHz.

Bit offtopic: rumor ampere targeting 33tf
www.pcgamesn.com

If the Nvidia Ampere rumours are true, there’s a 33 TFLOPS GPU on Geekbench

Previous rumours suggest a doubling of floating point units in Ampere GPUs, which would put the leaked chip at 33.2 TFLOPS

16 TFLOPS sounds about right for an RTX 3080 level card. I'd expect the 3080 Ti to be 20+ TFLOPs.

That would either be late 2020 or H1 2021. It depends. With the RTX 2000 series, Nvidia launched 2080 and 2080 Ti about a month or so apart in Fall 2018.
Previously, Nvidia had launched the high-end Ti cards 6-9 after the xx80 product.

I wouldn't expect 30+ TFLOPs until Nvidia Hopper with 4 MCM chips (and using 5nm) in 2022.

FLSexT1.png

And that would be for a Tesla HPC card.

Sorry, off-topic.

12 TF XSX will still be monstrous for a console

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
IMO a good article about Xbox Series X and marketing communication

www.gamesindustry.biz

Xbox Series X gets its first great soundbite | Opinion

While Sony is keeping its powder dry for what will presumably be a mammoth reveal of PlayStation 5 in a few months -- a…
One of the mod's here claims Sony has something in place.

People brought up their "cross buy" but that's digital only and was mostly used for indies.. so I'm assuming they've expanded the idea. I think it was Matt.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Official PlayStation Youtube Posts Console Announcement Trailer

These Sony motherfuckers I swear to god

The twitter post for this announcement is ridiculous. I love how it doesn't matter what Sony posts on twitter , the first response is always someone asking for PS5 news. It's like the more hardcore part of their community just doesn't give a single fuck about anything else other than PS5.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems more and more likely all of MS first party stuff is going to run on an X1s for most of if not the entirety of next gen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, I'd say that TVs last for years, plenty of people will still be running a 1080p TV at the end of this gen.

Secondly, there may well be a chunk of people who are more concerned with cost than they are getting the shiniest shinies. Quite how many people that is remains to be seen, but that casual market might be happy enough with 1080p upscaled to 4K by their TV.

fair enough. Now let's play market dynamics. How many price conscious gamers bought Xbox one at launch? Probably not many because they're price concious. Maybe waited 3 years for a 1S or a price drop.

also a price conscious gamer might want value for money by keeping a console for a good few years.

Are there many that will even be in the market to get a new console now? Even if it's 'affordable' by our measure?

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
It seems more and more likely all of MS first party stuff is going to run on an X1s for most of if not the entirety of next gen.

I recently wrote something like this but I'd imagine it being like like apps in the app store on iOS:
Compatible with Xbox One (Durango), Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, & Xbox Series X.

As the developers lean more into the new-gen features than the other versions will fall off. A game designed around the new SSD (or any of the RDNA2 features) on a deep system-level will only be Series S/X compatible. I also expect a few games to be not compatible with the Durango/One S but working on the One X and later about 18 months - two years in.

As for MS goes, I would expect them leaning into their dev team to ensure that if there's a build that runs somewhat stable at 720p/900p with everything on low... then release it on the Durango/One S just cause they can (Witcher 3 Switch).

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
fair enough. Now let's play market dynamics. How many price conscious gamers bought Xbox one at launch? Probably not many because they're price concious. Maybe waited 3 years for a 1S or a price drop.

also a price conscious gamer might want value for money by keeping a console for a good few years.

Are there many that will even be in the market to get a new console now? Even if it's 'affordable' by our measure?

Who knows really, this is a new strategy, it could backfire, it could be a success. I guess time will tell.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Perhaps its time to quote Matt Booty again in regards to cross-gen comments..

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty says exclusives will be cross-gen for a year after Xbox Series X

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty says exclusives will be cross-gen for a year after Xbox Series X

If you just grabbed an Xbox One, you're not being cut off immediately.

1 year (or 1-2 years as was reported before) does not sound like the whole XSX generation.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No way; for one they aren't going to want to support the Xbox One in general for that long. They won't be producing / selling them.. they'll all be out of warranty.. they wont' want to update the dashboard, have extensive hardware/software support, etc.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

www.windowscentral.com

1 year (or 1-2 years as was reported before) does not sound like the whole XSX generation.
Sucks a little bit, but not bad. Should give their studios plenty of time.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"You lose? You get an embarrassing avatar of my choosing until the PS5 is RELEASED"
My bet was about consoles would not achieve 12TF, I was originally thinking about around 10 TF. The bet was from May 2019 before we got all the info in Github, TGA and chip photos. Since then I knew I would lose. Then last week the official number came and I wore the confirmed avatar of shame for a week. Week is over now!

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

www.windowscentral.com

Which to be frank... won't be many games, and some will be more low-key games anyways that wouldn't have been next-gen crazy tech showpieces anyways.

This Ms strategy is likely partly due to how low their output is in general. They bought a bunch of studios and should improve but a lot of those projects are gonna be year 2/3 or not crazy AAAA games anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.