• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You asked what I meant and I clarified. Now you're upset my conclusions differ in meaningful ways from the original misconceptions perpetuated by some media outlets. Sorry that hurts your feelings.

I never asked what you meant. I pointed out your statement was at best incredibly misleading.

Sony did not say they are following the same reveal timeline for PS5 as PS4.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I never asked what you meant. I pointed out your statement was at best incredibly misleading.

Sony did not say they are following the same reveal timeline for PS5 as PS4.
That's actually correct. You didn't ask what I meant because you don't actually care. I was being kind and giving you the benefit of the doubt. Because the other implied conclusion is that you were looking to dunk on someone the whole time.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
9.2TF PS5 wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would mean that apparently Sony and Cerny made some real bizarre decisions.

If doing so saved them $50 on their BOM for the APU/RAM (net of increased cost of cooling solution), it's not a bizarre decision at all. If Sony goes on to sell 100m PS5s this generation, that $50 savings will yield an additional $5B in income (not revenue) over the 6-7 year life of the console. Those are huge numbers.

Additionally, those BOM savings can allow you to sell your console at an accordingly lower retail price. "Well instead they should just make it stronger and take an additional loss. They'll make it up on software!" Maybe, but there's a limit to that line of reasoning, and if taking a $100 loss on a $500 machine would allow them to sell at $400, wouldn't taking a $100 loss on a $450 machine allow them to sell at $350? (Obviously there's a limit as to this line of reasoning, since one might argue that they should just slap a new coat of paint on a PS4 Pro and sell it for $200 and call it a day. But I don't think 9.2TF is way out of line from a next-gen performance perspective - especially given many/most expected both consoles to be targeting 9-10TF this gen.) Additionally, Sony has long been focusing on the benefits of next-gen that aren't focused on raw graphics power - SSD, hw-assisted RT, better CPU, controller haptics, etc. - that it makes sense that they might feel like they didn't have to really stretch themselves on the TF front.

I'm personally 50/50 on the whole thing, but I don't think they'd be making an absurd decision either way.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
It's troubling though that there's no chip in the pipeline that seems to indicate this, so it's kind of counting on it being well hidden from prying eyes.

Is a custom chip that is "well-hidden from prying eyes" any stranger than the fact the retail PS5 console has been so well hidden that it's yet to be revealed by anyone? Serious question.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
That's actually correct. You didn't ask what I meant because you don't actually care. I was being kind and giving you the benefit of the doubt. Because the other implied conclusion is that you were looking to dunk on someone the whole time.

Sony never said they are following the same reveal timeline like you wrongly claimed that's all I care to get across. It's an incredibly misleading statement you made. Have a nice day.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is a custom chip that is "well-hidden from prying eyes" any stranger than the fact the retail PS5 console has been so well hidden that it's yet to be revealed by anyone? Serious question.

Don't ask me.

tenor.gif

Jun 23, 2019
Sony never said they are following the same reveal timeline like you wrongly claimed that's all I care to get across. It's an incredibly misleading statement you made. Have a nice day.

You two done? Ok.

now-kith-26007968.png

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Possible, but I doubt anything substantial went towards VR unless it is something that would help in general.
Yeah, whatever is in the console that helps VR, will help the console overall and the reverse as well. So yeah, pretty much what you said.

Anything VR specific would be in a new headset/controllers.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I highly belive that Sony targeted a final retail price of $399,95 Dollars for the PS5.

Therefore a 8-9.2 TF, 12GB RAM with an 1TB SSD sounds absolutely plausible to me for what you can expect for $399,95 Dollars.

That would also explain Sonys silence right now to me, they are probably waiting until they have some great games to show when they reveal the PS5 to compensate the lesser powerful hardware with great software.

I think that if Sony had the more powerful system, than they would have already came out and had shouted it out from the highest mountain that the PS5 is more powerful than the XBox Series X. Because no companys wants that the competition has all the spotlights.

But this is of course all speculation from me!

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I have thought about that a 54 CU GPU makes it harder to get HW BC for a PS5 Pro for example, or you just rely on clock increases there. The same goes to the Xbox Series X which we assume to have 56 CUs but I think it will easier there as the BC is SW based (with a few HW tweaks). If you look back to those mid-cycle updates this gen, they were only possible because the amount of CUs was doubled or more. I would suggest that if there are mid-cycle updates planned they are based on a smaller node that would allow to increase the CU count respectively.
PS5 Pro could be 72 CUs :)

I really hope PS5 has a thicker abstraction layer, Sony can't keep building APUs according to 10 years old consoles.

Surely cerny when designing the PS5 from the ground up didn't think "let's have the exact same number of CUs as the PS4 Pro, which is less than the Xbox One X and I'm sure MS won't go any higher"? By designing around 36CUs and going narrow/fast they're basically handing the performance crown to MS before they even start.

3SE's and 54CU which can be disabled per SE for BC would surely be how he would try to design it? It's the most logical way anyone would design a next gen console.

PS4 - 1SE
PS4Pro - 2SEs
PS5 - 3SEs

They did butterfly for PS4Pro, this would be the "clover" formation.

9.2TF PS5 wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would mean that apparently Sony and Cerny made some real bizarre decisions.
This has been my lead thought for a while, the 54CUs (and 3SE)/Clover design, whoever coined it first here, which might have been you Dr Avatar.

6 disabled CUs could also help a lot with yield, no?

Either way, I don't think if it ends up being that it's Sony shifting to a different design from what we saw in the githubs leak (what someone said above about Van Gogh lite). It would have to always have been the plan and github was just representative of testings what was available to test to gather data while waiting for RDNA2 testing being ready.

It's troubling though that there's no chip in the pipeline that seems to indicate this, so it's kind of counting on it being well hidden from prying eyes.

But yeah, 9.2 wouldn't be bad, but it'd be weird.
You have to keep in mind that a 54Cu will result in a bigger iGPU than the XSX and at the same tine 300Mhz higher clocks, sound expensive and hot to me. It's not impossible, but something to keep in mind.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I really hope PS5 has a thicker abstraction layer, Sony can't keep building APUs according to 10 years old consoles.

You have to keep in mind that a 54Cu will result in a bigger iGPU than the XSX and at the same tine 300Mhz higher clocks, sound expensive and hot to me. It's not impossible, but something to keep in mind.
I don't think it'd be 2ghz if it's 54cu. 1700 to 1800 mhz max. The 2ghz tests were just tests or to get an idea of relative performance. (All speculation of course)

Jurassic579

Oct 27, 2017
IF PS5 will be 9.2 at 399 then they must reveal the price when they present the machine as it will, after the exlusive games be the USP to not go with MS.

right?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Has Sony confirmed if PS4 accessories will work with PS5?

I'm looking for a headset currently and I don't want to replace it in few months.

I'd wait. I think most will work but when it comes to headsets there are a lot with Optical Out and well theres no idea to know if the PS5 has one. PS4 slim ditched it but the Pro has it so ... who knows. Even in general dunno about headsets. I'd imagine the Sony ones will work for sure but besides that shrug

fnwilborn

Sep 15, 2018
From what I've seen so far, nothing MS has shown me convinces me I need to get a XSX and instead just upgrade my PC and get GamePass.
Thing is, my PC is oldish but runs the games I need to run there (Civ and PDS games mostly) just fine. Switch makes up for my Nintendo needs. I skipped the current gen (PS4/XBO), but is thinking of jumping in next gen. So far Xbox seems best for my needs, the one thing Sony has is exclusives. Not sure it's enough, really.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I don't think it'd be 2ghz if it's 54cu. 1700 to 1800 mhz max. The 2ghz tests were just tests or to get an idea of relative performance. (All speculation of course)
Both Flut and the Guthub leak were clocked at 2Ghz. Considering I doubt Sony will bin the chip for two different setups (one high in CUs, one high in clocks) which will make it more expensive just for a faster BC boost mode, I doubt it's a BC only clock. Whatever Oberon will be, it's probably trying to hit 2Ghz.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Thing is, my PC is oldish but runs the games I need to run there (Civ and PDS games mostly) just fine. Switch makes up for my Nintendo needs. I skipped the current gen (PS4/XBO), but is thinking of jumping in next gen. So far Xbox seems best for my needs, the one thing Sony has is exclusives. Not sure it's enough, really.
If you skipped current gen and are not just console warrioring here, your best bet is to buy one or both consoles now. They are both reasonably cheap and have insane libraries available to them for a low monthly subscription.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020

This is honestly the biggest thing that worries me about how the PS5 is doing PS4 BC. At some point in time the Sony hardware team is going to decide to cut off support for the PS4 because so many modes and hardware tests will be difficult for them. At this point its just a question of whether or not it happens with the PS5 Pro (which lets be honest, will happen at some point this gen) or with the PS6. Either way, their shortsighted method of BC is worrying to me and making me doubt whether jumping into the ecosystem is a good idea

fnwilborn

Sep 15, 2018
If you skipped current gen and are not just console warrioring here, your best bet is to buy one or both consoles now. They are both reasonably cheap and have insane libraries available to them for a low monthly subscription.
Console warrioring? Only reall allegiance I have in consoles is Nintendo. I absolutely adore Nintendo. Else I've always been a PC guy, playing Civ and PDS mostly for the last decade and a half. Last non-Nintendo console I had was PS3, before that PS2. I can wait until next gen, it has no rush. :)

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
From what I've seen so far, nothing MS has shown me convinces me I need to get a XSX and instead just upgrade my PC and get GamePass.
There's a constant trickle of posts like this.
You are literally one of Microsoft's target customers.
They don't care if you buy an xsx. They care if you have Gamepass. It's not some secret loophole you found 😊.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Both Flut and the Guthub leak were clocked at 2Ghz. Considering I doubt Sony will bin the chip for two different setups (one high in CUs, one high in clocks) which will make it more expensive just for a faster BC boost mode, I doubt it's a BC only clock. Whatever Oberon will be, it's probably trying to hit 2Ghz.
Yeah, that does make it less likely to be 54CU @ 2ghz and just 36 or something in-between and Cerny got a new way to close on the fly some random amount of CUs.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
And haven't you said in past that 2 GHZ could be the sweet spot for the node upgrade to N7P or 7nm+ ?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They don't care if you buy an xsx. They care if you have Gamepass. It's not some secret loophole you found 😊.
Ehh.. they'd rather you buy an xbox and have Xbox gamepass.

Those customers are likely far more lucrative for them; they have to by XBL Gold for one.. and the device contains a successful store where MS gets a 30% cut of all revenue from 3rd parties, revenue from all 3rd party hardware through licensing, etc.

Sorry I always point this out lol, but MS surely cares... they want people to be able to access their games from anywhere, but they still would prefer you are an actual Xbox customer.

They don't particularly care WHICH XBox you buy.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
A series X plus PSNOW or PC ports of Sony games is a good plan!

No offense, but why? There are only a few of the big PS exclusives on PS Now. There are almost none of the big PS exclusives on PC. And why would someone buy the XSX and a powerful, next-gen capable PC? Imo it makes more sense to get a PS5 + Xcloud. That way you can play ALL the exclusives day one. Xcloud + GP is just too good.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The one thing I don't get is how Microsoft benefitting from all those free months I've accumulated from promotions and AMD hardware tie-ins. 9 months accumulated so far. I don't really plan on paying once that runs out either. I know I'm not alone in this.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I don't get is how Microsoft benefitting from all those free months I've accumulated from promotions and AMD hardware tie-ins. 9 months accumulated so far. I don't really plan on paying once that runs out either. I know I'm not alone in this.

You're not alone, but it doesn't cost MS much to let you play, and some (significant) % of people in your position will pay once that runs out. Companies aren't chasing after you, as an individual, to make a sale.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If doing so saved them $50 on their BOM for the APU/RAM (net of increased cost of cooling solution), it's not a bizarre decision at all. If Sony goes on to sell 100m PS5s this generation, that $50 savings will yield an additional $5B in income (not revenue) over the 6-7 year life of the console. Those are huge numbers.

Additionally, those BOM savings can allow you to sell your console at an accordingly lower retail price. "Well instead they should just make it stronger and take an additional loss. They'll make it up on software!" Maybe, but there's a limit to that line of reasoning, and if taking a $100 loss on a $500 machine would allow them to sell at $400, wouldn't taking a $100 loss on a $450 machine allow them to sell at $350? (Obviously there's a limit as to this line of reasoning, since one might argue that they should just slap a new coat of paint on a PS4 Pro and sell it for $200 and call it a day. But I don't think 9.2TF is way out of line from a next-gen performance perspective - especially given many/most expected both consoles to be targeting 9-10TF this gen.) Additionally, Sony has long been focusing on the benefits of next-gen that aren't focused on raw graphics power - SSD, hw-assisted RT, better CPU, controller haptics, etc. - that it makes sense that they might feel like they didn't have to really stretch themselves on the TF front.

I'm personally 50/50 on the whole thing, but I don't think they'd be making an absurd decision either way.
but its unlikely to be significantly cheaper to make than the xsx, unless it also has less ram, smaller ssd ect. the truth is it doesnt cost ms much more to make the better chip.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess the theory is there are enough people who WILL subscribe to make it worthwhile for them. A properly decent first party line up dropping day one on game pass would make it almost insane value even for people who today think that won't be the case.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No offense, but why? There are only a few of the big PS exclusives on PS Now. There are almost none of the big PS exclusives on PC. And why would someone buy the XSX and a powerful, next-gen capable PC? Imo it makes more sense to get a PS5 + Xcloud. That way you can play ALL the exclusives day one. Xcloud + GP is just too good.

True but I think PS exclusives are eventually launching day one on PSNOW and PC, so honestly consoles won't be necessary eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.