• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Finding out NDA'd information about your competitors is... not ethical, in many cases not legal at least here in the US.

So whatever MS/Sony "knows" they aren't going to put any of that into marketing messaging at this point. If MS "knows" they have more TF's they can't claim that right now as it's not public info. Whatever Phil and team knows they said they don't know anything.. because that's how it's actually legally supposed to be lol
Yeah, and iirc they're saying it's "the most powerful Xbox", or "the most powerful console we have ever made", not "the most powerful console". Big difference.

All in all, at this point I don't care anymore, I'm just so happy that we're truly getting a 12TF Xbox with Xbox,360,XB1 BC and buy XB1 games and you get the XSX version! Day 1 on this beauty!

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Have we ever had identical hardware? Ever?

Have we had the same game code, same design objectives running on two different games on the same hardware from different development teams?

Does this account for different engines? This is a horrible question that even you would struggle to answer.

I see we've moved from identical hardware to also mandating identical code?

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

I don't think anyone was arguing that the same game running the same code will look better on inferior hardware.

What people were arguing that it isn't "only hardware" that makes some games look better than others. So a talented developer making a game such as death stranding will have a better looking game than, say, Crackdown 3 despite Crackdown 3 running on better hardware.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't that's why I'm speculating in a speculation thread. This is where I got my info.

from Gamespot
New PlayStation boss Jim Ryan says the company's main goal is to move the community from the current generation to the PlayStation 5 more quickly than it has in the past.

Referencing the success of the PS4, Ryan told GI.biz about leveraging the strong brand to the next gen.

"These are gamers who are networked and sticky and engaged and passionate about PlayStation to an extent that we've not seen in previous generations," he said. "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks--probably our main task--is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before."

It's unclear how Sony plans to move players along to the new console or if this will impact its stated plans of releasing games cross-platform. Ryan went on to point out that developers and publishers have given good feedback on the PS5's development tools, something that was a particular issue with the PS3.

Next time don't speak so definitively when you don't know shit yourself.
Right, and I just posted the pdf from Sony that mentions the transition.

I thought me saying price could also mean fast transition was enough to say I see your point....but I guess not.

It could be both. But the fast transition has an official origin.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Well like I said.. making statements based on a leak reported in the media is very different than making statements based on information obtained other ways.

MS may or may not know PS5 details; they probably do but TBH I think people here are a little too confident with the idea. If they did obtain that info, it's likely someone involved broke the law. Reading IGN isn't breaking the law. So if they do have that info, they aren't going to make statements about it.

The fact MS isn't proclaiming the XSX will be the most powerful at this point really has no meaning.

I agree with you, if ps5 details were already in the wild based on a leak, then microsoft could make a statement saying XsX is going to be the most powerful console ever made.

Since there's nothing in the wild, and even if microsoft knows the spec, if they say that, people, and sony for that matter, will know they broke NDA rules.. so for microsoft is just better to say its "the most powerful console they ever made"

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did Playstation UK just pin a PS5 tweet? It's from October, but I could have sworn this tweet wasn't pinned when I scrolled through their account a few days ago -

Well PS UK is the best PS twitter account. Guess they laughed at all the "reveal the PS5 already" tweets towards them and simply pinned the PS5 tweet from October last year :P

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Won't it look kinda bad for MS if Sony comes out and announces a more powerful box after leaning so heavily into the whole #PowerYourDreams, #FeelTruePower, as well as all the "world's most powerful console stuff" for the past year + with the 1X?

Like, it seems like it really, really matters for them to be able to say that they're the most powerful. They're almost setting themselves up to be meme'd into oblivion if they aren't, no?
We really need to do away with this kinda thinking.

12TF is absolutely amazing. That's basically a GPU that's on par or more powerful than a 2080. Something not a single person would have believed to be possible just a few months ago.

If the PS5 is anywhere between 10-12TF, that's amazing too. And even if it ends up being more powerful, say 12.5TF or even 13TF, in the grand scheme of things it would make no difference whatsoever.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
User banned (1 week): Trolling. Platform Wars. History of similar behavior.
I highly believe that Phil Spencer knows the final targeted Specs already of the PS5. He knows alot of people in the gaming industry and has probably alot of friends there who have access to PS5 Dev Kits. Anyone with me?
ah the ever omnipotent phil, I hear in folk lore he as the same powers as Q all knowing and seeing.

phil was a cog in the Xbox machine until what the last 6 years and suddenly he knows everyone in the industry and has access to everything, please lol.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finding out NDA'd information about your competitors is... not ethical, in many cases not legal at least here in the US.

So whatever MS/Sony "knows" they aren't going to put any of that into marketing messaging at this point. If MS "knows" they have more TF's they can't claim that right now as it's not public info. Whatever Phil and team knows they said they don't know anything.. because that's how it's actually legally supposed to be lol

They can still come out with "The most powerful console" because it's technically correct.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
We really need to do away with this kinda thinking.

12TF is absolutely amazing. That's basically a GPU that's on par or more powerful than a 2080. Something not a single person would have believed to be possible just a few months ago.

If the PS5 is anywhere between 10-12TF, that's amazing too. And even if it ends up being more powerful, say 12.5TF or even 13TF, in the grand scheme of things it would make no difference whatsoever.
Exactly.

IF the PS5 winds up 11tf, that would be absolutely amazing.

I know there can't be console wars over a 1tf difference.....

I know there definitely will be if the PS5 is 9tf tho.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I'm happy that I'm not the only one who believes that. That would explain the confidence from Phil Spencer for me in the XBox Series X.

Enough people talk "off record" and "in these four walls" to know pretty much everything.

Phil/MS will have a pretty damn clear number on what Sony is at currently. There will be some details hidden from each other but it will be minimal.

They can still come out with "The most powerful console" because it's technically correct.

Going back on that, or sony trumping it would be super embarrassing for you if you were wrong though. It's not worth shouting about it, until it's official.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't it look kinda bad for MS if Sony comes out and announces a more powerful box after leaning so heavily into the whole #PowerYourDreams, #FeelTruePower, as well as all the "world's most powerful console stuff" for the past year + with the 1X?

Like, it seems like it really, really matters for them to be able to say that they're the most powerful. They're almost setting themselves up to be meme'd into oblivion if they aren't, no?
Holy crap, 12TF is awesome! In my opinion 10TF is awesome too!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh there will be, at least initially.

But in the final products it likely won't make a difference.

I still think when Digital Foundry does it's side by side comparisons of COD or Assassin's Creed on PS5 and Series X, most of us will be going like this trying to see any major differences.

8Uh_Nw_YGGXM4BLqIPhjfz-DS1P-hypWuyEcdgZyAx421daNa8DAyEGW2POFOivjpr8foh6yICcHdHNDpQEX7basqElhQqVHzxkbNrtMMbK8BBdJ4MoGoaQBhHPZ3_igakpBeT79h7hsTb3rqGBH5K2iaIte2xbaTE-DF9r_jlOaVsflF7q1YN6Or9AMnyOo5g

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No I was outside the club but after last article talking about huge cost decrease of HBM 2 and someone told me the memory architecture of the PS5 is different by pm, I think it is possible.
I think the SSD will be above 7 GB/s but it will be interesting to see if my prediction will be true or false. I would bet a ban on it.
Memory, SSD, what do you know Chris ?
Man, next gen will be a battle of the first party exclusive games. Imho MS has done a great job building (or buying😅) their first party studios. Their in a way better position compared to current generation. Can't wait to see what MS and Sony first party games for next gen hardware.
Phil put them on the right track, but they still have to convinced me that they can make good SP games, which is 99% of my gaming time.
So... Nvidia were clearly referring to Lockhart?
As many of us noted, they never specifically said 'consoles'.

dasdasdsadas.jpg
Maybe it is Stadia :p

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
If PS5 has less CUs, but higher clocks, how will it be comparable with Seriex X?

For example (just example):
XsX - 56 CUs - 1700 mhz - 12.1 tflops
PS5 - 44 CUs - 2000 mhz - 11.2 tflops

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I want these boxes to be really close even TF wise.. but haven't some of the "insiders" claiming the performance is similar also basically hinted the TF's are different?

IIRC one of the major ones made a "TF's aren't all that matter" comment at some point.

We need a dossier on every insider, what they've said, and when lol

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020

Man.. here in brazil sony fanboys say gamepass is "mendigo pass", something like homeless or beggar pass, because for the fanboys, they say xbox players subscribe to xGP because they don't have money to buy games..

people will find a reason to have console wars, no matter what.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I have reached a point where I'm no longer concerned about the performance of either boxes. I'll get PS5 (and if Nvidia fucks up the pricing of Ampere) I will buy a series X. I can't wait to play the new Halo (hopefully they don't mess it up) and can't wait to play a new Ratchet & Clank (imagine the Kervan metropolis) and all the other big, openworld titles that will be infinitely more detailed, filled with more life, action and opportunities. All the insane MP games with much larger maps, more complex physics and larger player count.

With a more than decent CPU, GPU along a high speed SSD, this generation is set to be delivering the boldest and most ambitios creations players have EVER seen.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
ah the ever omnipotent phil, I hear in folk lore he as the same powers as Q all knowing and seeing.

phil was a cog in the Xbox machine until what the last 6 years and suddenly he knows everyone in the industry and has access to everything, please lol.
He's the head of Xbox, and reports directly to the CEO of Microsoft. You don't think he has tons of access? Seriously?

argam

Feb 1, 2020
Man.. here in brazil sony fanboys say gamepass is "mendigo pass", something like homeless or beggar pass, because for the fanboys, they say xbox players subscribe to xGP because they don't have money to buy games..

people will find a reason to have console wars, no matter what.

There are morons everywhere...

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I see we've moved from identical hardware to also mandating identical code?

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

I don't think anyone was arguing that the same game running the same code will look better on inferior hardware.

What people were arguing that it isn't "only hardware" that makes some games look better than others. So a talented developer making a game such as death stranding will have a better looking game than, say, Crackdown 3 despite Crackdown 3 running on better hardware.
I am stating that the question you are asking you wont find an answer to. The coment about same hardware is feom yourself.

So what type of game are you making? Is it 2D/3D or 2.5D? What is the genre, sub genre, what is the scope, what is the budget, how much time do you have to deliver? What engine are you using? How much support do you have? What frame rate etc?

There are more than a milion and one reasons why games on the same hardware look and perform different.

What code you eventually run is different and it is determined by a lit of factors, both internal and external.

When it comes to hardware, what hardware you are targeting matters. You can do more when there is more to work with. I doubt you even know what it is you are asking.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
You saw the light.
Saddly, gameplay of NG games are hiding in the same place as the PS5.
I think ND is busy with TLOU2 so imo we won't see anything from them for at least a year and a half. Hence I'm a bit more hyped about what Insomniac, GG and Santa Monica have in store for us. That said, I'll probably faint when the show off TLOU2 running on PS5.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Memory, SSD, what do you know Chris ?

Phil put them on the right track, but they still have to convinced me that they can make good SP games, which is 99% of my gaming time.

Maybe it is Stadia :p

I think the console will be close in power but I think Xbox Series X will more powerful. For memory I don't have any idea just I think it will be GDDR6 but why not?

For SSD just a guess.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I was outside the club but after last article talking about huge cost decrease of HBM 2 and someone told me the memory architecture of the PS5 is different by pm, I think it is possible.
Different eh?

Esram + ddr3 confirmed lol

I think if the ps5 was using hbm, devs would've leaked it by now. There is a small probability that Sony is leaving it for the final devkit after the spec reveal but i doubt it. Giving devs an entirely different memory structure months before launch is not viable.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

If people on this board know the targeted specs of these machines, why is it a stretch to think Phil Spencer does as well?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I wonder did microsoft announce official 12tf couse they know they have advantage over sony or maybe they know sony is higher and would be hard to annouce it later if it was inferior number :-)

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting timing on MS' part. Many thought end of February was the time for PS5's reveal. Wonder if MS are also expecting the PS5 reveal soon and decided to get ahead of it. Fun times!

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think ND is busy with TLOU2 so imo we won't see anything from them for at least a year and a half. Hence I'm a bit more hyped about what Insomniac, GG and Santa Monica have in store for us. That said, I'll probably faint when the show off TLOU2 running on PS5.
I wrote NG for Next Gen.
GG will probably be first, but I want to see Spidey the most, Insomniac are wizard.
I think the console will be close in power but I think Xbox Series X will more powerful. For memory I don't have any idea just I think it will be GDDR6 but why not?

Foe
"someone told me the memory architecture of the PS5 is different by pm" ?!?!

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Very interesting timing on MS' part. Many thought end of February was the time for PS5's reveal. Wonder if MS are also expecting the PS5 reveal soon and decided to get ahead of it. Fun times!
The timing is explainable though. It has less to do with Sony imo. It has to do that this week was a good slot to put it out before GDC 2020 as they are still plan to have a bigger presence there. As next gen will be a big talking point at GDC they mitigated the risk something leaks from there. Doing it this week they were able to control the message and the communicated information.

Status
Not open for further replies.