• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
In my opinion everyone with a Feb or March date prediction is on the chopping block now. You can't cancel GDC and the same time plan and make an event in the same month. That would contradict all what you were saying about the cancelation reasons.

Ehh, I follow your logic but I think, as others have pointed out, the PAX and GDC events may have required lots of Sony employees traveling from many different places globally to attend, thus the risk.

A reveal event may not require those same people attend at all. It could just be a handful of the core Playstation heads and an invitation to the press that wants to attend or not attend, as well as a livestream.

They seem a lot different in nature to me personally.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion everyone with a Feb or March date prediction is on the chopping block now. You can't cancel GDC and the same time plan and make an event in the same month. That would contradict all what you were saying about the cancelation reasons.
A private event where you invite who you want is 100% under your control. Whereas GDC, PAX, etc, aren't.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more meaningless than Flops as there's not even an established measuring context, so even with same architecture you could "report" widly different numbers.
Cross architectures it's all pointless anyway.
Yep, I was just thinking the same, LOL. It's about as useful a "metric" as millions of polygons per second. I mean, Xbox 360 could draw 500 million polygons per second. Cool, but that's assuming it's a scene of just unshaded polygons and nothing else

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I know I meme about The Lion King graphics in real time often, but serious talk now. I think next gen we can come close to the fidelity of the models seen in the Jurassic World movies. Here's Rexy from the end of Jurassic World.
latest

Here's a Tyrannosaurus in Jurassic World Evolution
latest

I'd say it already compares quite favorably and JWE is a simulation game where the engine has to account for the player building a full park filled with dozens of dinosaurs and hundreds of guests along with everything running to keep the park lively. In a more linear and controlled environment (Dino Crisis reboot!!), there should be more hardware power to boost the model fidelity even further. Since current science favors that adult Tyrannosaurus Rex also wasn't covered in feathers but rather scaly skin, that works even better too. I can see a Tyrannosaurus model being composed of 1 million polygons easily since Thunderjaws in Horizon were already 550K polygons. Now feathered raptors with 3-4 of them onscreen at once, that would be even more challenging

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
respawnfirst.com

Dualshock 5 Will Modify User Experience Based on Biofeedback

Sony Interactive Entertainment's new patent mentions Dualshock 5's tracking of biofeedback such as heart rate and sweat secretion.

What the actual heck?????

If they invested in a touch screen, that would have been much better. Also I don't think how this could be used to enhance gameplay tbh, the last paragraph is the real concern more than the supposed benefit.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
respawnfirst.com

Sony Interactive Entertainment's new patent mentions Dualshock 5's tracking of biofeedback such as heart rate and sweat secretion.

If they invested in a touch screen, that would have been much better. Also I don't think how this could be used to enhance gameplay tbh, the last paragraph is the real concern more than the supposed benefit.
That's fucking awesome! Games are gonna be mind blowing next gen.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Unless they're screening everyone entering for carona, the risk is still close to what it would be at something like gdc. Assuming they invite press, of course.
27,000 attendees at GDC last year.

PlayStation Meeting? Like a hundred or two max?

GDC = booths, interaction with tons of media, etc. PlayStation Meeting is basically just a conference, with little to no interaction.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I know I meme about The Lion King graphics in real time often, but serious talk now. I think next gen we can come close to the fidelity of the models seen in the Jurassic World movies. Here's Rexy from the end of Jurassic World.
latest

Here's a Tyrannosaurus in Jurassic World Evolution
latest

I'd say it already compares quite favorably and JWE is a simulation game where the engine has to account for the player building a full park filled with dozens of dinosaurs and hundreds of guests along with everything running to keep the park lively. In a more linear and controlled environment (Dino Crisis reboot!!), there should be more hardware power to boost the model fidelity even further. Since current science favors that adult Tyrannosaurus Rex also wasn't covered in feathers but rather scaly skin, that works even better too. I can see a Tyrannosaurus model being composed of 1 million polygons easily since Thunderjaws in Horizon were already 550K polygons. Now feathered raptors with 3-4 of them onscreen at once, that would be even more challenging

Polycount and game models won't be any problem on next-gen and we can reach and exceed CGI quality models.
In fact Last Boss of SOTC Remake was around one million polygons and last boss of Spider-Man was over 1 million polygons.
Even current gen consoles and mostly mid-gen ones are able to pull much more higher poly characters but the problem is that they have low amount of VRAM and mostly the bandwidth and HDD are so slow that if they pull high poly models, the high quality normal maps for those models won't be loaded instantly so the the whole process won't follow.

With next-gen hardware having great GPUs with enough VRAM and bandwidth and SSD, the bottleneck of current-gen won't apply so any CGI quality model is doable and we can reach 1 pixel + 1 texel per pixel and even higher.
But what gives a CGI look is not the amount of polygons in a model but mostly how it is lit and how it animates. With good RT lighting applying RT AO to the model and with surrounding areas having enough GI bounces, this will make any model pop out and look real especially if it animates well too.

Companies used to pull CGI quality work will have no problem reaching CGI level ingame.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polycount and game models won't be any problem on next-gen and we can reach and exceed CGI quality models.
In fact Last Boss of SOTC Remake was around one million polygons and last boss of Spider-Man was over 1 million polygons.
Source for the latter? And you don't have to tell me the rest, LOL. I'm building my portfolio around real time 3D rendering techniques, I know what we're lacking in the field

Oct 25, 2017
It helps understanding the difference between different 20 series NVIDIA cards but once we have something which isn't Turing based, let's say the new Amper cards or an AMD RT GPU, it will be totally worthless.

None of this is relevant considering the CPU, SSD and RAM (in relative terms to the resolution) are the same. This is NOT the same thing as the Switch. The Switch is trying to hit the same resolution as the PS4 while having a totally different architecture, 1/7th of the memory bandwidth, half of the available memory and most importantly a weaker CPU than the 360. If it resembles anything, it's actually the Switch in dock VS undock mode which is exactly XSS VS XSX, the exact same console with the exact same architecture only with a lower TF GPU running the same game in lower resolution. Will developers need to optimize? Sure, but it's all a game of balancing graphics. Gameplay and level design have nothing to do with it.
Xbox One and X are still part of the equation. So yes, it does have something to do with it.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
respawnfirst.com

So if I keep getting wrecked Ina game like Sekiro, this will help ease the suffering essentially?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
They can do a video call conference for the developers, and the reveal via a pre-recorded presentation.

The future is now, old man.

With that said, I don't expect anything until May.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Source for the latter? And you don't have to tell me the rest, LOL. I'm building my portfolio around real time 3D rendering techniques, I know what we're lacking in the field

It is known bro and I posted about it many times when the game released:

blog.us.playstation.com

Insomniac Interview: The Tech Behind Marvel’s Spider-Man

Learn how @InsomniacGames taps into the power of PS4 and PS4 Pro to create a massive world that looks Amazing. #SpiderManPS4

The last sentence

And about SOTC Remake I forgot the link but it was posted by me and others in OT around release. Someone who remembers can post the source sorry I totally forgot it. There is even a captured image about it the whole paragraph giving more thorough infos about the game.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So if I keep getting wrecked Ina game like Sekiro, this will help ease the suffering essentially?

I was playing Dark Souls on the switch and I got stuck(eventually killed) between two enemies in the catacombs, and my Apple Watch told me to breath. 😂

Can't do any hands-on sessions with a pre-recorded presentation stream though.
The pre-recorded presentation would be a reveal for the fans. It's not like any of us can try the games being shown on Nintendo Directs/State of Play. 😋

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The pre-recorded presentation would be a reveal for the fans. It's not like any of us can try the games being shown on Nintendo Directs/State of Play. 😋

The presentation is for the general public, not just fans, which is why they invite press from major media outlets, who would ideally have hands-on with the hardware/software to write about, etc. They're skipping E3, which is where all the press had quality time with the PS4 back in 2013, so they'll need an event to replace that.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is known bro and I posted about it many times when the game released:

blog.us.playstation.com

Insomniac Interview: The Tech Behind Marvel’s Spider-Man

Learn how @InsomniacGames taps into the power of PS4 and PS4 Pro to create a massive world that looks Amazing. #SpiderManPS4

The last sentence

And about SOTC Remake I forgot the link but it was posted by me and others in OT around release. Someone who remembers can post the source sorry I totally forgot it. There is even a captured image about it the whole paragraph giving more thorough infos about the game.
Now that's incredibly impressive. 1 million polygons for a human sized character alone and that was a scene they were around the other villains. For SOTC, I'm not surprised because the final Colossus is a level on its own and is the size of a skyscrapper. 1 million polygons there makes sense

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Now that's incredibly impressive. 1 million polygons for a human sized character alone and that was a scene they were around the other villains. For SOTC, I'm not surprised because the final Colossus is a level on its own and is the size of a skyscrapper. 1 million polygons there makes sense

Oh about that Spider-Man boss, the article says over 1 million (for human sized boss) while SOTC was around 1 million which makes Spider-Man even more impressive.

Edit: Silencerx98 I found it finally:

mashable.com

'Shadow of the Colossus' remake turns rose-tinted memories into something real

Easily one of the best video game remakes to date.

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F703548%252F9d3975ff-22c7-4761-b2bf-098f7f313982.png%252Ffull-fit-in__950x534.png

What I mean is, for next-gen you can expect even around 10 million polygon character models in games like ND games and so. This is very doable. 1 million polygons should be the basis for next-gen.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Oh about that Spider-Man boss, the article says over 1 million (for human sized boss) while SOTC was around 1 million which makes Spider-Man even more impressive.

Edit: Silencerx98 I found it finally:

mashable.com

'Shadow of the Colossus' remake turns rose-tinted memories into something real

Easily one of the best video game remakes to date.

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F703548%252F9d3975ff-22c7-4761-b2bf-098f7f313982.png%252Ffull-fit-in__950x534.png

What I mean is, for next-gen you can expect even around 10 million polygon character models in games like ND games and so. This is very doable. 1 million polygons should be the basis for next-gen.

Man, this makes me want their new game to be Demon's Souls remake.

SOTC PS2 ----> PS4

DeS PS3 ----> PS5

Leaps of 2 generations. Yes, I know SOTC was remastered on PS3, but IIRC, it was mostly resolution/framerate rather than a massive increase in polygons.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Man, this makes me want their new game to be Demon's Souls remake.

SOTC PS2 ----> PS4

DeS PS3 ----> PS5

Leaps of 2 generations. Yes, I know SOTC was remastered on PS3, but IIRC, it was mostly resolution/framerate rather than a massive increase in polygons.
It'll probably run better than any FS game too. 😋

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Even current gen consoles and mostly mid-gen ones are able to pull much more higher poly characters but the problem is that they have low amount of VRAM and mostly the bandwidth and HDD are so slow that if they pull high poly models, the high quality normal maps for those models won't be loaded instantly so the the whole process won't follow.

With next-gen hardware having great GPUs with enough VRAM and bandwidth and SSD, the bottleneck of current-gen won't apply so any CGI quality model is doable and we can reach 1 pixel + 1 texel per pixel and even higher.
But what gives a CGI look is not the amount of polygons in a model but mostly how it is lit and how it animates. With good RT lighting applying RT AO to the model and with surrounding areas having enough GI bounces, this will make any model pop out and look real especially if it animates well too.

Companies used to pull CGI quality work will have no problem reaching CGI level ingame.

To get some thoughts perhaps. The E3 presentation of TLOU2 for example showcased movements from both Ellie and NPCs that is not normally that fluid during actual gameplay. It looked more CGI based. What do you do you think is actually happening in those scenes and in your opinion, do you think that level of fluidity is finally attainable for next gen? I would assume so.

Oct 26, 2017
How much gameplay wise would change in a Demon's Souls remaster.

Because there's a lot of bad gameplay mechanics that From later ditched in there.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
To get some thoughts perhaps. The E3 presentation of TLOU2 for example showcased movements from both Ellie and NPCs that is not normally that fluid during actual gameplay. It looked more CGI based. What do you do you think is actually happening in those scenes and in your opinion, do you think that level of fluidity is finally attainable for next gen? I would assume so.

TLOU2 is already transitioning to next-gen tech yeah. We will see more cross-gen titles that you would have never thought would be possible on current-gen.
In fact if games were tragetting both PS4 Pro and XB OX from start, we would have gotten stuff close to the Heretic Demo on such mid-gen consoles which doesn't use fancy next-gen techs like RT or advanced hair and cloth physics.
Next-gen we gonna see stuff we would have never imagined to be possible few years back until it becomes the norm and we get used to it.

They already explained that, it's a technique you can look up called motion matching. It'll likely be common on the next consoles.

Indeed.

I really want to know how close the following next-gen parts of FFVIIR are going to get to the CGI of Part 1.

1:1 except maybe for every individual hair modeled and over 3 light bounces.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

They already explained that, it's a technique you can look up called motion matching. It'll likely be common on the next consoles.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone confirm this Navi doesn't scale well with higher clock frequencies. This could be the biggest issue with first generation of rdna gpu's. 5700xt doesn't perform well when OC.
It performs exactly as you would expect, it just doesn't OC much as it's already running quite a bit higher than it should, judging from its thermals and power.

Even if games are made cross-gen, the XSX will still have features the current-gen version doesn't have, just like every cross-gen game. Fast loading, RT, different graphical features, more characters on screen, etc., I'd imagine that even cross-gen games will try to use the SSD and CPU as much as they can. There is no reason to think an Xbox One X version will be in any way identical to the XSS version. One version is built for Jaguar and a sub-100MB/s HDD and targets 4K while the other should be built for an 8C/16T Zen 2 and 40 times faster SSD that targets 1080p. In other words, the X version will be the S version cranked up to 4K while the XSS version will be the XSX version downscaled to 1080p, which means the XSS and the Xbox One X versions should be very different.

Comparing the two systems just because their GPU performance is probably similar (which isn't even true considering things like VRS, RT, and other new RDNA features) is pretty misleading. The only real connection between the X and the XSS IMO is that I'm pretty sure MS should kill the X once the XSS and XSX are out, it serves no purpose in the new ecosystem.

P.S
3 hours and 21 minutes between big_z's and dgrdsv 's posts, a new record for this thread? Guys, we are dying, we really need some new info :)
You've missed the part where all Xbox games for the next couple of years will be cross platform? Again, XSS being essentially a substitution for XBX in terms of performance means that they don't really need a devkit for XSS right now. They do need one for XSX but with XSS this is basically covered by XBX devkit at the moment. As for new features, well, chances are that they'll make XSS "faster" in comparison to XBX (RT is one big question mark here though) so it's fine as well.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
/* TARGET VEGA10 */ {HSA_VEGA10_ID, "", "gfx900", "gfx900", "gfx900", 4, 16, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET VEGA10_HBCC */ {HSA_VEGA10_HBCC_ID, "", "gfx901", "gfx901", "gfx901", 4, 16, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET RAVEN */ {HSA_RAVEN_ID, "", "gfx902", "gfx902", "gfx902", 4, 16, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET VEGA12 */ {HSA_VEGA12_ID, "", "gfx904", "gfx904", "gfx904", 4, 16, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET VEGA20 */ {HSA_VEGA20_ID, "", "gfx906", "gfx906", "gfx906", 4, 16, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET ARIEL */ {HSA_ARIEL_ID, "", "gfx1000", "gfx1000", "gfx1000", 2, 32, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET NAVI10 */ {HSA_NAVI10_ID, "", "gfx1010", "gfx1010", "gfx1010", 2, 32, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET MI100 */ {HSA_MI100_ID, "", "gfx908", "gfx908", "gfx908", 4, 16, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET NAVI12 */ {HSA_NAVI12_ID, "", "gfx1011", "gfx1011", "gfx1011", 2, 32, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0},[/TD]

/* TARGET NAVI14 */ {HSA_NAVI14_ID, "", "gfx1012", "gfx1012", "gfx1012", 2, 32, 1, 256, 64 * Ki, 32, 0, 0}

uint simdPerCU_; //!< Number of SIMDs per CU[/TD]
uint simdWidth_; //!< Number of workitems processed per SIMD[/TD]
uint simdInstructionWidth_; //!< Number of instructions processed per SIMD[/TD]
uint memChannelBankWidth_; //!< Memory channel bank width[/TD]
uint localMemSizePerCU_; //!< Local memory size per CU[/TD]
uint localMemBanks_; //!< Number of banks of local memory[/TD]
uint gfxipVersion_; //!< The core engine GFXIP version[/TD]
uint pciDeviceId_; //!< PCIe device id[/TD]

after HSA_CODENAME and three gfx### ;

the first number is number of SIMD per CU => for Vega cards there are 4 SIMD per CU => for Ariel 2 SIMD per CU
the next number is Number of work items processed per SIMD => for Vega cards it can do 16 per SIMD => for Ariel it can do 32 much like Navi cards

So a little math says that although these are different architectures the output is same albeit at a different configuration (16x4 = 2x32 = 64), so I think the difference comes from elsewhere, like fab optimizations and more suitable configuration for the target.
The output isn't the same, you have 64-wide waves in GCN which are processed in 4 clocks over 16-wide SIMD units. With RDNA you have both 32-wide and 64-wide waves which are processed on 32-wide SIMDs meaning that you get results as fast as in 1 clock cycle (2 for 64-wide waves). This is up to four times faster for smaller workloads which is basically the main source of efficiency gains RDNA has over GCN.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
respawnfirst.com

After this we just need that cooling and heating tech Sony had patented for a controller, a screen instead of the touchpad and back buttons and the DS5 would be the ultimate controller! 😃

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
According to AMD Navi 10 is already produced under the second 7nm generation process from TSMC, N7P:
amd-5700-navi.png

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/3331/radeon-rx-5700-navi-and-the-rdna-architecture/

This kills the idea of a process advantage for consoles, unless you hope for N7+ with EUV which has different design rules and needs more work.
Vega 20 was N7, Navi and Zen2 are N7P. N7P is an update of the same 7nm fabs so it's basically all N7 designs are N7P now, AFAIK.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were patents for DS4 that included heart rate monitoring, sweat feedback to modify gameplay elements... ultimately that idea was not used in PS4...and I feel that was a good thing. Besides the unnecessary use of the battery, I like an even playing field in playing a game (with the only differentiator being the difficulty you select at the start, ofcourse), anything else will punish people for this or that variable... and that creates a situation where you're ripe for the picking of microtransactions to make your life easier.
No thanks. I can live without that nonsense.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
respawnfirst.com

I'm not sure if it's the same patent, but Sony had one for detecting nausea for VR players so they can take steps to mitigate it somehow, maybe by pausing or turning on some rumble which apparently helps.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It performs exactly as you would expect, it just doesn't OC much as it's already running quite a bit higher than it should, judging from its thermals and power.

You've missed the part where all Xbox games for the next couple of years will be cross platform? Again, XSS being essentially a substitution for XBX in terms of performance means that they don't really need a devkit for XSS right now. They do need one for XSX but with XSS this is basically covered by XBX devkit at the moment. As for new features, well, chances are that they'll make XSS "faster" in comparison to XBX (RT is one big question mark here though) so it's fine as well.

I'm sorry but this just doesn't make sense. Did you read the post you responded to? There are huge performance differences between Lockhart and the XB1X, and it will not be a substitution in any sense. Lockhart will have something like 4x the CPU and 40x the storage performance - I don't see how that's comparable. And the XB1X is being replaced by the Series X as the premium, 4K version of the console. Lockhart is replacing the XB1S as the mainstream, 1080p option.

The cross-gen games thing is also a red herring. In November 2019 Matt Booty said "over the next year, two years," which means the time period only runs to about November 2021, and of course this only applies to MS first party games. So the only games affected by that policy are first-party games coming out after Series X launch (let's guess November 2020) but before November 2021. Here's the entire list of games affected by that policy:

Confirmed 2021:
- Grounded

Unannounced but could reasonably launch before November 2021, given usual dev times for the franchise:
- Forza Motorsport 8
- Forza Horizon 5

Could theoretically ship between next-gen launch and November 2021, place your bets:
- Everwild?
- Playground RPG (Fable)?
- Undead Labs new game?
- Maybe some little Double Fine thing we don't know about?

And that's pretty much it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm not sure if it's the same patent, but Sony had one for detecting nausea for VR players so they can take steps to mitigate it somehow, maybe by pausing or turning on some rumble which apparently helps.
Didn't alien isolaton on ps4 e variably difficulty of using a headset?

Sure I read somewhere it monitored your breathing and the alien could also detect you from it and ambient noise.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't alien isolaton on ps4 e variably difficulty of using a headset?

Sure I read somewhere it monitored your breathing and the alien could also detect you from it and ambient noise.

Alien Isolation had headtracking and voice detection on PS4 Yeah (I think for XB1 and PC too).
But this is totally different, we are talking about something like this:

kotaku.com

A Heart-Monitoring Horror Game That Gets Tougher As You Get Scared

Horror games can be scary enough on their own—do we really need one that measures our heart rate and gets harder as we get more scared? Maybe we do. Maybe. We. Do.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Florida

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
So there's this new COD battle royale game and it's said to be revealed on the 25th of Feb as "the associated embargo lifts on 2/25"

Interesting date.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
respawnfirst.com

"Your background sweat secretion analysis is complete, Gohlad. Based on your elevated heartbeat and higher temperature we concluded that you have a potential fever or flu coming. For public safety reasons, we advise you to stay at home today and spend your time playing more video games instead."

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Performance is one thing, how's heat as it gets higher?
According to this random Reddit post, increasing clock rate from 1.75GHz to 2GHz increases power draw from 136w to 185~200w.

Looks like hitting 2GHz isn't all that hard for these RDNA cards, some 5700 XT (like this one) even have boost clock as high as 2.01GHz out of the box, and that's all without any exotic cooling solution.

Edit:
This AnandTech's review provides some more clues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.