• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm saying that if game designers have to accommodate older hardware in their game designs, it's going to to limit the types of experiences they can create.

Graphical scaling isn't an issue. Things like data loading/streaming is an issue when you can't count on a specific minimum.
I swear we've been through this a million times already.

I think they're only looking at it in terms of the final product? And not in terms of what the product won't be because of the lower baseline consideration.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Tried to check google cache, but no luck. lol
Found it:
Flops won't be everything. On paper MS might have a slight TF advantage, but it's not going to be the case in real world perf.

PS5 GPU: part GCN for BC, part RDNA, part custom designed for RT.
Xbox Next GPU: part GCN for BC, part Vega 7 for for cloud computing.
MS will not mention the words Navi nor RDNA at their E3 press conference.
lol

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Oh I love demos too !
These two fit in a Windows executable with the size of a Twitter avatar.
100% code, 0% asset, 64kB (music included) :

You can even run it on your PC :

www.pouet.net

Darkness Lay Your Eyes Upon Me by Conspiracy

pouët.net - your online demoscene resource

Did you bring this same energy when TLOU2 and UC4 trailers were revealed? Why are people trying to shit on NT now? Sure it's a cutscene but im impressed by that cutscenes. Like I was impressed by UC4 and TLOU2.

Last edited:

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
A bit off topic,i just saw this in the other thread:

"Certainly, there doesn't appear to be a consensus at the time of publication about Sony's plans for the show, with some sources telling VGC it will again skip E3 and others indicating it could yet negotiate a return. However, we understand that Xbox's events team is working under the assumption that PlayStation will not be at E3 2020 and upping its plans accordingly."

Intriguing!

Wasn't the last time Sony had a major gaming event was back in E3 2018? They've been really silent on events for a while, what is their endgame?

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
U9pVEsM.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know them showing literally a demo from last year of spiderman running on what was prototype next gen hardware tells a much different story.

What you saw was a last gen game running much better on next gen hardware...

That's exactly what Cross-gen offers....

You didn't see new, presently impossible gameplay elements, due to developers building from the ground up to take advantage of cpu and SSD gains...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What you saw was a last gen game running much better on next gen hardware...

That's exactly what Cross-gen offers....

You didn't see new, presently impossible gameplay elements, based on cpu and SSD gains...

Actually yea you did. Games built around using the ssd to stream the data faster when traversing a open world was what they were trying to show. They showed how much the PS4PRO struggled when they tried forwarding throughout the map. Imagine building the game around that if you were trying to make not only spiderman faster when web slinging but also in how much of the map he could traverse in a single big swing.

All that has to be loaded in, they literally were kind of hinting at what would be possible on PS5. If spiderman 2 is going that route in terms of having more loaded/streamed of the map at a time while your traversing, it's going to show on lesser hardware not having that SSD and extra cpu power.

Wasn't the last time Sony had a major gaming event was back in E3 2018? They've been really silent on events for a while, what is their endgame?

They have been had a few things said here and there of knowing that they have traditionally launched with less than stellar titles, because a lot wasn't ready. So they are literally waiting till they have a lot to show.

Which is why there are leaks about games like Bluepoints that might be launch title.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, Zen2 chiplet size:

Assuming 8MB L3 I would guess it would take ~45-50mm2 die space. Or slightly less space as 8c Jaguar took at 28nm.
Some 40mm² of that 75mm² is L3.
I've pixel counted Fritzchen Fritz shots some time back. The different Zen2 models he has vary marginally in total size, but all basically round to 76mm². Blocking out the actual L3 cache silicon, a 75% reduction (from 16MB to 4MB, as per the Flute benchmark) reduces this by almost exactly 26mm². So the Flute CPU is 50mm². I know that looks like an approximation, but it's actually just avoiding spurious precision (e.g. one measurement I took gave a result of 50.339mm²).

I didn't personally see anything that wasn't a graphical upgrade.
Nothing about those games was so special they couldn't have run on 360/PS3.
Even in 2020 I can't think of a game that is drastically different than what I was playing in 2012 on an Xbox 360 or PS3.
"Actual next gen games" is a marketing point that console companies say to lie to you and make you think you're buying something that can't be done anywhere else.
We are talking about prettier polygons and faster frame rates, and load times.
The rhetoric of "it's just better graphics" or "it's only eye candy" is incredibly misguided and condescending. Nicer-looking games are improvements, and new generations allow graphics that are literally impossible on the previous gen. Why do you think people buy new-gen consoles by the millions, and launch games that are "just" prettier? Categorizing the audience that pays hundreds to jump in day one somehow deluded or unsophisticated is ugly and elitist.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I've pixel counted Fritzchen Fritz shots some time back. The different Zen2 models he has vary marginally in total size, but all basically round to 76mm². Blocking out the actual L3 cache silicon, a 75% reduction (from 16MB to 4MB, as per the Flute benchmark) reduces this by almost exactly 26mm². So the Flute CPU is 50mm². I know that looks like an approximation, but it's actually just avoiding spurious precision (e.g. one measurement I took gave a result of 50.339mm²).

The rhetoric of "it's just better graphics" or "it's only eye candy" is incredibly misguided and condescending. Nicer-looking games are improvements, and new generations allow graphics that are literally impossible on the previous gen. Why do you think people buy new-gen consoles by the millions, and launch games that are "just" prettier? Categorizing the audience that pays hundreds to jump in day one somehow deluded or unsophisticated is ugly and elitist.

I don't know what this was about but Infamous and Resogun was 100% worth the entry cost on PS4 When I got in.

Neither of those games could have ever been on PS3 without significantly turning down effects built into the very nature of the game.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Actually yea you did. Games built around using the ssd to stream the data faster when traversing a open world was what they were trying to show. They showed how much the PS4PRO struggled when they tried forwarding throughout the map. Imagine building the game around that if you were trying to make not only spiderman faster when web slinging but also in how much of the map he could traverse in a single big swing.

All that has to be loaded in, they literally were kind of hinting at what would be possible on PS5. If spiderman 2 is going that route in terms of having more loaded/streamed of the map at a time while your traversing, it's going to show on lesser hardware not having that SSD and extra cpu power.

A cross-gen open world game is going To enjoy the exact same benefit when played on an SSD - faster streaming.

the dev could choose to limit Spideys fast swing move to then next gen version. sorta like how Forza Horizon 2 on 360 didnt have all the features Forza Horizon 2 on Xb1 had.
Now will a next-gen exclusive launch title turn that faster streaming into some revolutionary gameplay element? Probably not. to start with, it'll be obvious practical improvements like what you saw in demo.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Man, sometimes, the things I read on this forum goes beyond the realm of simply being skeptical to being full on being conspiratorial and objectively wrong. What makes it worse is how authoritatively these people tend to speak like they know what they are talking about. All those devs out there working on newer tech that immerse players in the world... "nah, that's just some pretty graphics that would have been absolutely possible last gen".

Those are some gutter trash tier posts.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
well unlike the ps5 e3 speculation, this isn't something I'm making up. An ms exec us saying they will have cross gen exclusives for the first two years. This isn't debatable. They ARE making the same mistakes. Or rather new mistakes because they at least had the common sense to launch next gen only games last gen.

I don't know how you can compare unreleased and unrevealed next gen ps5 games to current Xbox games but i guess if you like Xbox franchises it makes sense. I've already said that ms won't lose their diehard fans. That's not the point.

I have game pass. I've had gamepass for almost a year. Its a great value but i don't see what this has to do with next gen. You can have next gen only games on gamepass along with last gen games. You don't have to limit your output, handicap your devs, and punish your early adopters just for some parity between subscribers.

See above. We are discussing matt bootys comments. Maybe he's lying or playing some 3d chess with Sony trying to get them to release cross gen games.

Or maybe he means what he says.

I can't compare cause we just don't know. You don't have to be a fan of a box's games to determine which will be or look better. It's a whole new gen claiming one has "won" in any department by saying they already messed up or is making a mistake is ridiculous. How about they launch first and we can go from there, counting down till launch then day 1 saying one is better does not make sense. At least to me but like you said, I guess a Sony fan would?

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With all this talk about fast loading of assets via the SSD I now REALLY want an Antman game where I can choose to grow and shrink at will instantly and each version of the world will be extremely detailed and what you do at one scale affects what happens in the other scale with no loading or pop-in.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you bring this same energy when TLOU2 and UC4 trailers were revealed? Why are people trying to shit on NT now? Sure it's a cutscenes but im impressed by that cutscenes. Like I was impressed by UC4 and TLOU2.
No the Hellblade 2 teaser was technically impressive but not interactive. While it's true that technically I find demos using strict constraints (like the size of the executable) more impressive than pre-rendered cutscenes, the role of a cutscene teaser is narrative and artistic, to make you enter in the portion of the univers of an entire game - it's not a one-shot like the two things I have linked.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
If you guys think that 343i is just going to take the XBO version of Halo Infinite and upscale it to SX you're nuts. First party has all the resources they need to make both versions sing.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
A cross-gen open world game is going To enjoy the exact same benefit when played on an SSD - faster streaming.

the dev could choose to limit Spideys fast swing move to then next gen version. sorta like how Forza Horizon 2 on 360 didnt have all the features Forza Horizon 2 on Xb1 had.
Now will a next-gen exclusive launch title turn that faster streaming into some revolutionary gameplay element? Probably not. to start with, it'll be obvious practical improvements like what you saw in demo.

Your not getting the point that it takes extra work, on top of sometimes the game having to make huge sacrifices like losing the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing exclusive launch software is usually a risk for devs/pubs.
But usually, leaving behind 50-100mil potential consumers for the 5-10 early adopters works because your game stands out in a limited selection.

But this gen, any launch exclusive game is going to be competing with every PS4/XB1 game released, that may now have upgrades renewing interest.

If you're not a First Party dev, and your game doesn't absolutely not work without Next Gen tech, then it would be a very bad business decision to release it exclusive to the smallest audience possible. Particularly when cross-gen is going to be extremely simple this time round.

Liabe Brave to the rescue

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

You completely missed the point. Nobody is saying those graphical upgrades aren't great; they are saying the exact same graphical upgrades can be in cross-gen games.

A bunch of you are completely missing the point.

I'm so confused why this is confusing to people. Removing a game from an old console arbitrarily does not make it a better or more advanced game.

Now IF early exclusives actually were games that simply could not be done on the last gen that would be something; but I honestly am having trouble thinking of any.. and the games brought up don't seem to have any actual elements that couldn't be done, other than their graphics. And that's how cross gen works.. same game, different graphics.

In the end we'd need developers to tell us about their early exclusive games or their cross-gen games and proclaim whether any of this is correct; but most in this thread agree that games like Ryse and Killzone could have been on the PS3/360 generation.... even people who for some reason can't seem to get that means cross-gen Xbox games can be just as pretty as Ryse and Killzone were relative to the start of that gen.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Your not getting the point that it takes extra work, on top of sometimes the game having to make huge sacrifices like losing the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor.

You know what else's takes extra work?

Learning how to leverage next-gen hardware into gameplay elements that take full advantage of next gen performance games and revolutionize the way we play.

We're guaranteed at least a full year of games that are more or less last-gen concepts on steroids.

Last edited:

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
There is a whole lot of hand wringing over something that is pretty straight forward. "For the next year or two". Okay, so games that went through the design phase a long time ago and have been in active development for some time already.

Most of MS's studio acquisitions haven't cleared their queue of of projects that were in development prior to acquisition yet. Most likely designed with current gen systems in mind. Those games are all going to get an extra level of next gen spit shine and those teams will move on to focusing on next gen experiences.

It all seems fine to me /shrug

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
You know what else's takes extra work?

Learning how to leverage next-gen hardware into gameplay elements that take full advantage of next gen performance games and revolutionize the way we play.

We're guaranteed at least a full year of games that are more or less last-gen games on steroids.

Using the SSD for better, more seamless environments that aren't feasible on a HDD isn't going to be some kind of difficult, time-consuming challenge, though. If anything, the constant workarounds devs currently have to spend time and effort on due to slow storage speeds are the real challenge, and the guaranteed SSD is going to take away that burden. They'll be able to just make the levels they want to make without having to design them around the constant need to slow down the player.

Things like using the new CPUs to greatly enhance world simulation is going to take time and practice, sure. But there is absolutely no reason why we couldn't get PS5 exclusives that truly can't be scaled down to PS4 right from the off, even if it's just due to seamless environments rather than a bunch of different things.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, sometimes, the things I read on this forum goes beyond the realm of simply being skeptical to being full on being conspiratorial and objectively wrong. What makes it worse is how authoritatively these people tend to speak like they know what they are talking about. All those devs out there working on newer tech that immerse players in the world... "nah, that's just some pretty graphics that would have been absolutely possible last gen".

Those are some gutter trash tier posts.
There's a lot of armchair developers on this forum. The kind of posts that rile me up the most are when people go "lazy devs!". Seriously, 99% of posters here have no idea how stressful, time consuming and nerve wrecking game development can be. Speaking from a first hand experience, unless you're extremely passionate about making games, I wouldn't advise anyone to take game development as a college course.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you guys think that 343i is just going to take the XBO version of Halo Infinite and upscale it to SX you're nuts. First party has all the resources they need to make both versions sing.
And how are they going to achieve that without creating 2 different versions? The CPU/GPU/HDD SPEEDS are massively more powerful than Xbox One.

You completely missed the point. Nobody is saying those graphical upgrades aren't great; they are saying the exact same graphical upgrades can be in cross-gen games.

A bunch of you are completely missing the point.

I'm so confused why this is confusing to people. Removing a game from an old console arbitrarily does not make it a better or more advanced game.

Now IF early exclusives actually were games that simply could not be done on the last gen that would be something; but I honestly am having trouble thinking of any.. and the games brought up don't seem to have any actual elements that couldn't be done, other than their graphics. And that's how cross gen works.. same game, different graphics.

In the end we'd need developers to tell us about their early exclusive games or their cross-gen games and proclaim whether any of this is correct; but most in this thread agree that games like Ryse and Killzone could have been on the PS3/360 generation.... even people who for some reason can't seem to get that means cross-gen Xbox games can be just as pretty as Ryse and Killzone were relative to the start of that gen.
Why wouldn't raising the base line limit not make it a more advanced game? Also the Last guardian did get released only because of the PS4.
There's a lot of armchair developers on this forum. The kind of posts that rile me up the most are when people go "lazy devs!". Seriously, 99% of posters here have no idea how stressful, time consuming and nerve wrecking game development can be. Speaking from a first hand experience, unless you're extremely passionate about making games, I wouldn't advise anyone to take game development as a college course.
People always think that things are easy when they know nothing about it. But when you have to peform under pressure and have to reach your deadlines things can become very difficult. Sometimes that means walking away from a project and calling it finished even if you want to spent more time with it. But as we all know, time is money and getting perfect result is only possible with lots of money and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.