• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I mean we can't say that Sony upped the clocks to 2Ghz to be more competitive with the XSX and at the same time say they want to launch at $399.99. You can't have both.
So you think PlayStation 5 will have less than 9.2 teraflops? It would make sense. This would probably be the best scenario:
Xbox Series S: 4 TF, 299$
PlayStation 5: 8 TF, 399$
Xbox Series X: 10 TF, 499$

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If you going by what Klee said that plan change in 2017.
Both jason and matt said they here 2020 in 2018 .
Also when it comes to specs it's not a simple thing , the hardcore spend more money and specs matter to them early on .
So it's not about only about dominating the gen but making the most money you can.
If we go by what Sony saying first year buyers spend $1600 while the other spend $700.
That means the first years buyer are worth more than 2 people buying the system later on .

Jim Ryan also said:
"As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks – probably our main task – is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before."

If they're trying to rapidly move PS4 players over to PS5, I'd wager a $499 (or more) console isn't the best way to do it.

But a $399 one sure as hell is.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
No sane person believes Sony will unveil PS5 during a 45 min presentation at a tech show lol. I'm hoping they will mention PS5 and give us a date to look forward to PS Meeting 2020. Klee has already hinted at February and a Sony dev on Twitter already said he's not talking anything about his next game until February too.

Something I was thinking about. Cerny said he was doing the first Wired interview to get ahead of potential leaks as a result of the devkits they were about to send out. Is it possible that, in order to get ahead of the spec leaks that are likely to happen at CES (if we go by 2013), Sony might choose to surprise drop the PS5 spec list at CES, along with confirming the PS Meeting in February?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
BTW, something no one is talking about is that Klee has told us XSX is 64 CU while the Github leak shows 56 CU. Just a random thought I had.
Colbert VX1 DukeBlueBall
If you going by what Klee said that plan change in 2017.
Both jason and matt said they here 2020 in 2018 .
Also when it comes to specs it's not a simple thing , the hardcore spend more money and specs matter to them early on .
So it's not about only about dominating the gen but making the most money you can.
If we go by what Sony saying first year buyers spend $1600 while the other spend $700.
That means the first years buyer are worth more than 2 people buying the system later on .
I totally agree, but it doesn't mean a 399$ strategy isn't a valid one. I mean, it worked really well for PS4. If you put PS4 in a bubble, ignore the Xbox One, it was a 399$ console aimed at break-even or profit day-one (remember that the extra 4GB of GDDR4 increase the BOM to 388$, it should have been a sub 350$ BOM console before the upgrade). Their CPU was so terrible that it's comparable to the PS3's in power and GPU was really weak compared to what was available on PC. If you think about it, the only reason PS4 seemed powerful was that Xbox One was so weak.

I don't know what PS5 final specs will be, but I don't think 36 CU with a high-end CPU and SSD is so far fetched for a 399$ PS5.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan also said:

If they're trying to rapidly move PS4 players over to PS5, I'd wager a $499 (or more) console isn't the best way to do it.

There also Cerny and CEO that said the cost will be worth it .
Plus them getting users over faster than ever before can be done in many ways that is not only about price .
In fact they could go $449 for all we know.

Feb 26, 2018
I agree with you, stuff changes all the time. No problem, but Klee didnt said that 6 months ago, he said that 3 weeks ago and and this week again. When somebody doubles or triples down on wrong information then it is either misinform peopel on porpuse or the information is not outdated.
This. Like he literally said this week that he wasn't saying anything and was just going to sit back and watch everyone kill each other like Lord of the Flies lol. That's not the statement of someone who isn't confident about the information he has.
Didn't the same happen with Lockhart before? The same insiders who confirmed it than cancelled it than reconfirmed it again.
Anyway Klee does seem to be confident in his info so I guess time will tell if he is right (btw I have no problem with Klee or Matt but I remain sceptical yet)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
BTW, something no one is talking about is that Klee has told us XSX is 64 CU while the Github leak shows 56 CU. Just a random thought I had.
Colbert VX1 DukeBlueBall

I totally agree, but it doesn't mean a 399$ strategy isn't a valid one. I mean, it worked really well for PS4. If you put PS4 in a bubble, ignore the Xbox One, it was a 399$ console aimed at break-even or profit day-one (remember that the extra 4GB of GDDR4 increase the BOM to 388$, it should have been a sub 350$ BOM console before the upgrade). Their CPU was so terrible that it's comparable to the PS3's in power and GPU was really weak compared to what was available on PC. If you think about it, the only reason PS4 seemed powerful was that Xbox One was so weak.

I don't know what PS5 final specs will be, but I don't think 36 CU with a high-end CPU and SSD is so far fetched for a 399$ PS5.

Klee did not say the GPU is 64 CU read after he plays and said to someone the maths if anexanhume is right.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how upset people seem to be getting when Klee is questioned, I can't imagine the reaction being much better if Matt is disagreed with or questioned.

I honestly don't understand the aversion people seem too be having towards insider rumours. I see no reason to question anything Matt has said at this stage. When we have some firm specs, maybe things will change.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Something I was thinking about. Cerny said he was doing the first Wired interview to get ahead of potential leaks as a result of the devkits they were about to send out. Is it possible that, in order to get ahead of the spec leaks that are likely to happen at CES (if we go by 2013), Sony might choose to surprise drop the PS5 spec list at CES, along with confirming the PS Meeting in February?
After CES 2013 specs PS4/Xone leaked?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Dropping SMT would only make the CPU marginally smaller and significantly less efficient. Wouldn't do much to temps.

The threadmark reads as 64 CU, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought so considering the mod who threadmarked it called it " Kleegamefan - Possible Xbox Series X GPU Compute Unit Count?". If it was cleared later then forget that I ever said anything :)

Feb 26, 2018
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Dropping SMT would only make the CPU marginally smaller and significantly less efficient. Wouldn't do much to temps.

The threadmark reads as 64 CU, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought so considering the mod who threadmarked it called it " Kleegamefan - Possible Xbox Series X GPU Compute Unit Count?". If it was cleared later then forget that I ever said anything :)
Interesting
But I do think he said "bingo" on the TF number. Was it after or before the WindowsCentral 12 TF news?

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
Because Microsoft clearly had budgeted for 2?

So do people think Sony budgeted the R&D for the 2019 PS5 and just...scrapped it for the 2020 one? I don't understand.
The decision to postpone the release of the PS5 was made in 2017, at this time the 2019 PS5 APU design would be well under way. There are a few obvious reasons Sony would want to continue developping and testing this APU, while also branching out from it to make an hypothetical updated 2020 APU. "Financial implications" sure wouldn't stop them from doing that...

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Interesting
But I do think he said "bingo" on the TF number. Was it after or before the WindowsCentral 12 TF news?
Maybe, but it was 10 days after the 12TF news and long after every insider has confirmed it.

And I want to be clear, I think Kleegamefan is awesome, I would never assume he doesn't tell the truth and his contribution to this thread has been amazing. He tells us what he knows, which is amazing, even if now and then if his knowledge isn't up to date he can be wrong (for instance Lockheart being alive). You can't expect an insider to know everything at any given time unless they are Phil Spencer and Mark Cerny :)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I honestly don't understand the aversion people seem too be having towards insider rumours. I see no reason to question anything Matt has said at this stage. When we have some firm specs, maybe things will change.

Well....at the current moment, most are choosing to actively ignore/deny/bemoan leaked and confirmed/verified data like the Github leak. As some others have said, currently, that's the only hard data we have to go on.

The rest is well....nothing really.

See, this isn't even about the TF number. It's about the logic being used to come to the conclusions people are coming to. Those who feel/believe the PS5 might be the "stronger" console don't appear to be basing it on anything....concrete (for want of a better word). Yet those same people are more than happy to crack the shits at those suggesting the PS5 might be "weaker" based on....actual leaked data (no matter it's age).

This is why these threads continue to be an endless shit show.

The final TF number is ultimately irrelevant. Sony would sell 100 million PS5 with a 5TF console, a 6TF console, a 9TF console and most likely a 12TF console (depending on its price). I hope I'm wrong and Sony has somehow secretly hidden the truth from all of us and surprises everyone with a 14TF monster. Then we can have 2 ridiculously overpowered consoles to enjoy without needing mid-gen upgrades and maybe actually move to 60fps becoming the standard.

But currently, based on nothing more than the more concrete information we have at hand (that hasn't come from insiders), stuff that's come from actual leaked data, that doesn't appear to be the case.

But here's a question. Why is it a problem? Let's say the PS5 does turn out to be 9TF. Is that such a bad thing? Would it be the end of the world? The way some are acting at the prospect of it, you'd think that would be the case. Personally, as someone still rocking a Panasonic 1080p Plasma, a 9TF PS5 will still give me the 1080/60 gaming I crave that currently only the One X provides with any kind of consistency. Lockhart will probably even give me that. Let alone a 9TF PS5.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
www.resetera.com

Speaking of 56CU,reminder:

Btw, if Series X really has 56CU as we heard that means 60/56CU GPU design?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Given how upset people seem to be getting when Klee is questioned, I can't imagine the reaction being much better if Matt is disagreed with or questioned.

Matt was questioned several times over the last few months. But he doesn't need to prove anything, his track record speaks for itself and it started back on the old site.

I like Klee and I trust him, he's sharing what he heard from a dev friend that's it. Also unlike most insiders here, Kleegamefan is one of the few that is NOT biased.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Ok if Ps5 is > 12TF i take it day one.
If it's < 10TF I will probably wait for 1 year or 2

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well....at the current moment, most are choosing to actively ignore/deny/bemoan leaked and confirmed/verified data like the Github leak. As some others have said, currently, that's the only hard data we have to go on.

The rest is well....nothing really.

See, this isn't even about the TF number. It's about the logic being used to come to the conclusions people are coming to. Those who feel/believe the PS5 might be the "stronger" console don't appear to be basing it on anything....concrete (for want of a better word). Yet those same people are more than happy to crack the shits at those suggesting the PS5 might be "weaker" based on....actual leaked data (no matter it's age).

This is why these threads continue to be an endless shit show.

The final TF number is ultimately irrelevant. Sony would sell 100 million PS5 with a 5TF console, a 6TF console, a 9TF console and most likely a 12TF console (depending on its price). I hope I'm wrong and Sony has somehow secretly hidden the truth from all of us and surprises everyone with a 14TF monster. Then we can have 2 ridiculously overpowered consoles to enjoy without needing mid-gen upgrades and maybe actually move to 60fps becoming the standard.

But currently, based on nothing more than the more concrete information we have at hand (that hasn't come from insiders), stuff that's come from actual leaked data, that doesn't appear to be the case.

But here's a question. Why is it a problem? Let's say the PS5 does turn out to be 9TF. Is that such a bad thing? Would it be the end of the world? The way some are acting at the prospect of it, you'd think that would be the case. Personally, as someone still rocking a Panasonic 1080p Plasma, a 9TF PS5 will still give me the 1080/60 gaming I crave that currently only the One X provides with any kind of consistency. Lockhart will probably even give me that. Let alone a 9TF PS5.

The Github numbers don't align with alot of what has been rumored. And Matt has straight up suggested that they're inaccurate. That's why people are leaning away from them.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jim Ryan also said:

There's many ways to "force" a move to a new console. People are reading too much into these comments and making assumptions on PS5 being 399€.
For instance I also remember reading a couple of months ago that PS5 would have the latest features in tech and be targeted at hardcore players, and this was coming directly from one of the higher ups at Sony, I guess I could also say PS5 would be 599€ based on those comments (i won't).

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Downgrade from fried French toast fucking insane to batshit insane.
8267c8c547946c41ab51c63cd273614e.gif

;)

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is the first Schrodinger's console.
They will never give any specs and it will have bomb inside to prevent opening it.
Both 9TF and 12 TF at the same time.
6 more years of this.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I will take a $399 PS5 any day over anything else, even if it means betraying Klee.
$399 is launch day impulse for me, even if line up sucks.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of 56CU,reminder:

Btw, if Series X really has 56CU as we heard that means 60/56CU GPU design?

Most probably 56/52 design. hmqgg is probably talking about the devkit will all CUs enabled. When he said it matches, I think he is talking about the clocks. He never confirmed both will have the same number of tflops.

56CUs (total) make perfectly sense because it's the 5700XT design with just another row of WGP added on each sides of the butterfly.

So it must be around 1.8ghz frequency actually to get 12tf with 52CUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.