• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing alot often the bolded and I think it's worth stating that the majority of the regulars in this thread are very rational. As a result, there is no 'big deal' about PS5 potentially being weaker than the Series X. If you have seen any of that, I imagine it's from a small portion off users who are either provoking/trolling or otherwise too attached to their favorite console (either Playstation or Xbox) to see their bigger picture.

The "big deal" is always going to come from a small subset. It was the same with the info that PS5 was stronger during E3 and it's the same after the GitHub shenanigans. I assume that when people ask "what's the big deal?!" they're talking to the people that it would be a big deal for, no matter how large or small the group may be.

I don't know how involved you were last go around but as someone who was checking forums daily the ratio of "Secret Sauce hidden GPU" to actual people that believed it is so lopsided that it's hard to imagine why it's still brought up and referenced 7 years later, even in this thread. Or how Tidux was brought up a few weeks ago. Or how MisterX is brought up here....ever. Point is, people tend to notice when they hear something crazy no matter how quiet the voice is. Mix that in with good ol' fanboyism and you've got some nice ammo for a console war. It's why my biggest hope for this gen is for the consoles to be as close as possible. Not because I care that XSX is going to be more capable than my PS5, but so the bickering that has to exist can at least be about the games more than the machine.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would not be great because they would need high quality chips for every console to have 40cus that hit 2ghz. It doesn't seem reasonable in a mass market device.
That's pretty much my understanding on it, as much as I'd like the PS5 to hit the double-digits, if the GitHub info is correct, it just doesn't seem like there is a solid case for Sony skipping CU redundancy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Even if what you said is true, there are plenty of other options Cerny could have thought up of instead of OC a 5700 to 2Ghz. That's not a simple issue of budget; it is bad design--heat, cooling, low yields. There are no upsides ocing a 5700 so aggressively: it gives you worse yields, it increases the risk of overheating, and it demands an expensive cooling solution. If anything, the 2Ghz clocks flys in the face of budgetary concerns.

Sony would have visibility of AMD roadmap way before some of it is public. So they'd have known about rdna 2, RT etc. Is it possible when they were first looking at specs that AMD over promised thermal and power performance for Navi and Sony got painted into a corner by committing to a narrow/fast solution and now the power curve doesn't work so they're needing to downclock/ spend on cooling/spend on low yields?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
So after posting information about the next gen game being open world, detailing the engine the game is running on (Unreal 4), mentioning the game is multiplatform, giving a relative performance comparison and giving some specs by claiming both consoles are > 10TF, he draws the line at (for example) RAM type and amount?

If the concerns were about outing the source, the details on the game under development are way more specific and identifiable than spec ranges.

He can draw the line to what ever he wants if he thinks it has better chance of outing his source.
Or if he knows which company has the harsher NDAs.

Sony would have visibility of AMD roadmap way before some of it is public. So they'd have known about rdna 2, RT etc. Is it possible when they were first looking at specs that AMD over promised thermal and power performance for Navi and Sony got painted into a corner by committing to a narrow/fast solution and now the power curve doesn't work so they're needing to downclock/ spend on cooling/spend on low yields?

You would think they have a idea of the power curve with how early they were testing Ariel .

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty much my understanding on it, as much as I'd like the PS5 to hit the double-digits, if the GitHub info is correct, it just doesn't seem like there is a solid case for Sony skipping CU redundancy.

yes ps5 will probably

-not push 2ghz (heat and reliability issues)
- of course have CU redundance
- not have a different form factor from ps4 (no greater cooling than today)
- have a mainstream price

all this combined will mean 8-9TF with current gpu tech. So it WILL be below XBX pretty much certain imo

beta

Dec 31, 2019

If it was because the navi thermals where worse then expected then wouldnt we see a highly clocked part from MS aswell?. I feel like because we aren't that something else is going on instead.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So after posting information about the next gen game being open world, detailing the engine the game is running on (Unreal 4), mentioning the game is multiplatform, giving a relative performance comparison and giving some specs by claiming both consoles are > 10TF, he draws the line at (for example) RAM type and amount?

If the concerns were about outing the source, the details on the game under development are way more specific and identifiable than spec ranges.
TBF Klee has provided us with the XSX specification for the GPU (slightly above 12tf RDNA) as recently as December 13th, but not for PS5 for some reason. Although I agree I'm not sure why leaking the XSX tf number is fine but leaking the PS4 tf number would pose an issue. I'm sure Klee has his reasons though, doesn't want to get his source in to trouble.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Don't think cell was weaker than the 360 cpu .
It was just more of a pain in the ass to program for .
But it has been a long time and i can be wrong .

Cell was much faster then Xenon at FP math but branchy code was slower as the SPUs didn't really handle branching too well and where more suited towards graphics like computations.

Jun 23, 2019
yes ps5 will probably

all this combined will mean 8-9TF with current gpu tech. So it WILL be below XBX pretty much certain imo

Everyone's assumption that the GitHub leaks are the most recent development is the main crux of the discussion. We know these numbers are real. In the grand scheme of the PS5 itself and where it fits is an entirely different discussion and one that I feel won't get answered until Sony unveils the specs or we get a huge leak.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be the least bit surprised if people are disappointed with some aspect of the paper specs for both consoles, because few here are really qualified to understand the implications of a given design. I expect the games themselves are what will win people over. As always. It's easy to simply throw out numbers and presume that willpower alone is enough to make them realistic. It's another thing to stick to a budget, live within the constraints of reality and make hard trade offs with the belief that you know what you're doing and it will all turn out for the best.

I won't be shocked if the PS5 comes out at 9.2TF and if it does, I trust it's with good reason that will be reflected elsewhere in the design or retail price. I'll definitely own one just to play the titles that won't be available anywhere else. I will also be very curious why the exotic cooling design on a dev kit if it isn't a trial run for something the retail units will need, and why there'd need something that elaborate for a somewhat conservative sounding GPU design. I expect I'll learn a lot over the next year or two, which is just how I like it.

+1 -on top of slowly unpicking why they Went for the solution they did (I'd they have), I'm also looking forward to seeing how devs adapt to RT, vrs` and a fast ssd. Turing RT is too slow even on 2080Ti so brute force RT will almost certainly need to be replaced by custom applications of that RT hardware which will be fascinating to see evolve

Oct 28, 2017
Just have the PS5 look exactly like a PS2 only with USB-C ports in front and a disc slot (not tray) and we're done here.
ps5-release-date.jpg

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He can draw the line to what ever he wants if he thinks it has better chance of outing his source.
Or if he knows which company has the harsher NDAs.

You would think they have a idea of the power curve with how early they were testing Ariel .

This is why I can't reconcile a 36cu high clock chip in my head. The idea that Sony would do that relies on believing that they didn't known the road map and/or had issues when moving to 2020 release. And that Cerny decided that a high clock 36cu chip was the most effective way to get to their desired specs.

I can't believe any of that really.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's assumption that the GitHub leaks are the most recent development is the main crux of the discussion. We know these numbers are real. In the grand scheme of the PS5 itself and where it fits is an entirely different discussion and one that I feel won't get answered until Sony unveils the specs or we get a huge leak.

i think the form factor of the ps5 will reveal a lot.. if it is a pc like box (like xbx) it can push 12TF... if it has a standard flat design it just wont exceed 9TF (laws of physics, heat etc)

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

beta

Dec 31, 2019
yes ps5 will probably

I dont think they will stay the same, the high clocks and high core counts for both graphics cards and the CPUs are likely to require major changes to cooling on both sides.

For example from what i can tell the 5700 (non xt) draws roughly 165 watts alone, that's the same as the PS4 PRO on the GPU alone and only at 1.725Ghz not 2.00Ghz.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony only have one sku then being more powerful (and likely more expensive) than xsx might not be practical. You'd cede the 'value' market to a possible Lockhart. Still doesn't explain the crazy clocks though

i would be ok with a high price and performance but for the overall market i would guess a lower powered 399/499 would do better than a higher powered 499/599

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone confirm the veracity of the info provided at below link:
www.techpowerup.com

AMD Playstation 5 GPU Specs

AMD Oberon, 2233 MHz, 2304 Cores, 144 TMUs, 64 ROPs, 16384 MB GDDR6, 1750 MHz, 256 bit
Has this been posted before?
Has been posted. It's considered as placeholder data.

srry for the late quote, but do you know where this was orginally posted? sounds like a dope response
Matt was upset. Don't quite remember the context.

Jan 20, 2019
TBF Klee has provided us with the XSX specification for the GPU (slightly above 12tf RDNA) as recently as December 13th, but not for PS5 for some reason. Although I agree I'm not sure why leaking the XSX tf number is fine but leaking the PS4 tf number would pose an issue. I'm sure Klee has his reasons though, doesn't want to get his source in to trouble.

He only provide that information after Microsoft annoaunced the console, before it was 10+

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony only have one sku then being more powerful (and likely more expensive) than xsx might not be practical. You'd cede the 'value' market to a possible Lockhart. Still doesn't explain the crazy clocks though

i would be ok with a high price and performance but for the overall market i would guess a lower powered 399/499 would do better than a higher powered 499/599

Sony will be fine at $499 at least for the first year .
As for the value market i not certain how much there is in the early days .
If we look at the PS3\360 gen i don't remember the 360 arcade edition selling much more then the normal one early on .

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
yes ps5 will probably

Not at all likely. The presence of Cerny precludes such terrible decisions.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I dont think they will stay the same, the high clocks and high core counts for both graphics cards and the CPUs are likely to require major changes to cooling on both sides.

For example from what i can tell the 5700 (non xt) draws roughly 165 watts alone, that's the same as the PS4 PRO on the GPU alone and only at 1.725Ghz not 2.00Ghz.
My impression is that V looking dev kit really runs at 2GHz but retail PS5 will have lower clock, in 1.8-1.9GHz range so overall a bit below 9TF GPU.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Do you guys think PS5 will be the first Sony system to launch simultaneously worldwide? Or will a region be pushed back to early the following year again?

For comparison per wikipedia:
PS1 12/94 Japan->9/95 NA/EU (9 months)
PS2 3/00 Japan->10/00(NA) and 11/00(EU) (7/8 months)
PS3 11/06 Japan/NA->3/07 PAL (4 months)
PS4 11/13 NA/PAL->2/14 Japan (3 months)

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
If anything it's the Series X that I expect will really push the clock on the GPU/CPU, that combined with some great cooling just like the One X.

And stop fooling yourselves talking about dual-GPU's please.

I think the highly optimistic thoughts (yet somewhat realistic) about PS5 at this point is:
- The leaked tests are real but doesn't show the final architecture in terms of number of compute units etc. and being way overclocked.
- lower clocked variant of the series X configuration (same amount of CU's or near).
- 16GB GDDR6.
- Notably faster SSD implementation with end-to-end customization (hardware and software).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Do you guys think PS5 will be the first Sony system to launch simultaneously worldwide? Or will a region be pushed back to early the following year again?

I think it'll be properly worldwide. Maybe that could be one of the reasons behind Jim Ryan's fast transition statement?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The point is though that clocking high seems to be the worst way to reach the performance target.
Why would we assume that 9.2TF was the PS5's performance target?

This is why I can't reconcile a 36cu high clock chip in my head. The idea that Sony would do that relies on believing that they didn't known the road map and/or had issues when moving to 2020 release. And that Cerny decided that a high clock 36cu chip was the most effective way to get to their desired specs.

I can't believe any of that really.
Did Sony know AMD's roadmap when they chose to have a 1.84TF GPU in the PS4 while AMD had 5.6TF GPU in the market before PS4 came out? Why would you assume Sony had chosen their parts out of ignorance and not out of intent? PS4 was designed to be as powerful as possible while priced at 399$ and sold for break-even day-one (which didn't happen because they've upgraded to 8GB). PS4 was not designed around the best GPU offering AMD had in 2013, not even close to that.

You mean the graph that had the X/Y axis as GHz and CUs? Let me see if I can find it.
modiz This one?

powerscalinggpuonlyuljwr.png
I'm going to do this every time this graph is posted, quote why it's irrelevant to consoles in every way :)

Chips aren't born equal. When you break up a wafer into chips, different chips will have variant quality. One chip will have a messed-up CU, another will have all CUs in perfect condition but will draw 200W in order to run at 1.8Ghz and another will be exactly the same but will draw only 150W. Because of that, GPU makers tier their cards. 5700 and 5700 XT are the exact same chip born on the same wafer. AMD had tested both and found one to be of higher quality so they've put it in the 5700 XT bin while the other chip was of lower quality, so it went in the 5700 bin. That's how AMD uses "the whole buffalo", they set a few bars for different SKUs and divide the chips between those SKU according to their quality. 5700 XT has to have 40 out of 40 active CUs and reach 1905Mhz while drawing 225W tops and 5700 has to have only 36 out of 40 active CUs and reach 1725Mhz while drawing 180W tops. If a chip is tested and it needs 280W to reach 1905Mhz, it goes in the 5700 bin even if all 40 CUs are perfect because it couldn't hit 225W. If a chip has a messed up CU, it goes in the 5700 bin even if it can reach 1905Mhz while using just 130W because it can't reach 40CUs.

Consoles, on the other hand, don't have the luxury of SKUs. If you want to take the same chip as the 5700/5700 XT and use it in a console, you know that your baseline has to be low enough because you don't have a cheaper SKU that uses all the chips that don't make the cut. You have to turn off some CUs, you have to decide on a low enough clock speed, heat, and power draw targets so that the vast majority of chip that are made can be used. After all, the more chips you have to throw away, the more money you've spent making your APU. Maybe your PS4's GPU has perfect 20CUs and it can hit 1000Mhz easily (2.56TF), but it won't because all PS4 consoles have to be the same and your neighbor's PS4's GPU can't hit those numbers.

Now that we know that, let's look at these "power draw/clocks" graphs and tables and think about what they actually mean. Someone took a 5700 XT, undervolted it and had pasted the results in a table or a graph. But what do these numbers really mean? First, they always use the 5700 XT, not the 5700. As we already know, a 5700 XT is the best of the best that came off the assembly line so obviously it will show the best overclocking and thermal performance. So they are basically taking the best-case scenario and presenting it as if it's the average scenario, that's the first failing of these graphs.

The second failing is that the 5700 XT has a 225W TBP label, but why is that? Haven't AMD heard about under-volting? Are they wasting power just for the hell of it? Not really. We've already talked about how not all chips are born equal, and even though the 5700 XT chips are the best chips on every wafer, they still vary in quality. One can hit 1905Mhz while using 140W and another chip will use 220W in order to hit the same clock speed. AMD had tested them and realized that the baseline should be 225W. It doesn't mean that the card you've bought will actually need 225W, but some of them do so the 5700 XT generally speaking does need the 225W label, even if your card doesn't. The concept of under-volting is based on that you've won the silicon lottery, your chip can achieve the desired clock while using a lower voltage than the lowest quality 5700 XT that are out there. So the whole concept of under-volting is totally irrelevant to consoles. Sony can't count on the numbers in those graphs and table, after all a lot of 5700 XT can't sustain them and probably all 5700 can't either. So what will Sony do? Use AegonSnake's tables and throw away 70% of the chips to the bin?

That's why these tables and graphs are irrelevant to consoles. There are no different SKUs to utilize the lower quality chips and the graphs are made based on high-quality chips that provide figures that most of the chips on the wafer just can't reach, thus irrelevant to console makers.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Did Sony know AMD's roadmap when they chose to have a 1.84TF GPU in the PS4 while AMD had 5.6TF GPU in the market before PS4 came out? Why would you assume Sony had chosen their parts out of ignorance and not out of intent? PS4 was designed to be as powerful as possible while priced at 399$ and sold for break-even day-one (which didn't happen because they've upgraded to 8GB).

But from everything i can tell a wider lower clocked chip would have better yields, and a cheaper cooling solution making the console cheaper overall.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
DrKeo for that power chart - while individual chips will vary, isn't it reasonable to help provide a ballpark for general increased power requirements vs desired performance?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

PS US,EU and JP already all announced holiday 2020 launch of the PS5 on twitter.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
But from everything i can tell a wider lower clocked chip would have better yields, and a cheaper cooling solution making the console cheaper overall.
That's 100% true, wider and slower will probably be cooler and less expensive. Thing is, who to say PS5 was targeting 9.2TF when it was designed? Around the end of 2018, the silicon was locked, the CU count was locked. Whatever CU count they had in late 2018 / early 2019 is probably the final CU count the PS5 will have. Clocks? They change according to yields, how efficient your cooling solution is and how much you are willing to spend in order to push your console's power a bit further in the endgame.

I don't think it's much different than the memory case in the PS4. Sony went for a clamshell so they can achieve 8GB, they wouldn't have if that was their intent from the get-go because clamshell has its disadvantages and it was a very odd design choice. But they reacted to MS and to developer feedback, so they had to think on their feet, they had no choice. I'm 100% sure Cerny wouldn't have designed a PS5 which has 36CU running at 2Ghz from day one. If the PS5 is 36CU @2Ghz, and that's a big if, it probably happened because of reasons out of Sony's hands.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that the TD was a really great find, good job!

DrKeo for that power chart - while individual chips will vary, isn't it reasonable to help provide a ballpark for general increased power requirements vs desired performance?
It's one thing to use this chart to show how clocks affect power consumption (which is great), it's another thing to use it in order to claim RDNA clock sweat spots or console APU TDP.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would we assume that 9.2TF was the PS5's performance target?

Did Sony know AMD's roadmap when they chose to have a 1.84TF GPU in the PS4 while AMD had 5.6TF GPU in the market before PS4 came out? Why would you assume Sony had chosen their parts out of ignorance and not out of intent? PS4 was designed to be as powerful as possible while priced at 399$ and sold for break-even day-one (which didn't happen because they've upgraded to 8GB). PS4 was not designed around the best GPU offering AMD had in 2013, not even close to that.

I'm going to do this every time this graph is posted, quote why it's irrelevant to consoles in every way :)

Because give the options of getting to 9.2tf, why on earth would they pick a 36cu high clock scenario? Given the general assumption on power,/heat, it doesn't make sense.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Because give the options of getting to 9.2tf, why on earth would they pick a 36cu high clock scenario? Given the general assumption on power,/heat, it doesn't make sense.
I think his theory is, and frankly it sounds very reasonable to me, that Sony from the start wanted ~ 8TF PS5 and when they found out Anaconda will be ~12TF Sony decided to raise the clocks (cause they didn't have any other option after 36CU design was locked) in order to close that gap a bit, right DrKeo ? :)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The "big deal" is always going to come from a small subset. It was the same with the info that PS5 was stronger during E3 and it's the same after the GitHub shenanigans. I assume that when people ask "what's the big deal?!" they're talking to the people that it would be a big deal for, no matter how large or small the group may be.

I don't know how involved you were last go around but as someone who was checking forums daily the ratio of "Secret Sauce hidden GPU" to actual people that believed it is so lopsided that it's hard to imagine why it's still brought up and referenced 7 years later, even in this thread. Or how Tidux was brought up a few weeks ago. Or how MisterX is brought up here....ever. Point is, people tend to notice when they hear something crazy no matter how quiet the voice is. Mix that in with good ol' fanboyism and you've got some nice ammo for a console war. It's why my biggest hope for this gen is for the consoles to be as close as possible. Not because I care that XSX is going to be more capable than my PS5, but so the bickering that has to exist can at least be about the games more than the machine.
i think regardless of the system parity its going to be a much more respectful tone this gen; both companies are doing as good a job at appeasing their fans as they ever have. the problem last gen was a feeling that the entire content focus of one side was going downhill, but here everyone's playing the hits. version differences will once again be minor curiosities for most people unless they're gamebreakingly severe.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think his point is, and frankly it sounds very reasonable to me, that Sony from the start wanted ~ 8TF PS5 and when they found out Anaconda will be ~12TF Sony decided to raise the clocks (cause they didn't have any other option after 36CU designed was locked) in order to close that gap a bit, right DrKeo ? :)

That makes no sense at all. You get slight increase in performance for potential $100 increase in price, ultimately failing to come anywhere close to the competitor in power and match them in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.