• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
On Planet ERA, where people who want overpriced consoles think they can "compromise", by releasing two SKUs.
As in, they don't consider the massive costs that such a dual release would incur, as well as the limitations the games would have to be to cater to the weaker hardware, making the expensive console pointless.

Sometimes I wonder why there is such a crowd who are absolutely fearful of PCs, and yet trying to push PC standards onto consoles. Consoles and PCs are separate for a good reason. Both have merits, but merging the two just gives you the worst of both words.

Dude lol. People really act like multiple SKUs aren't a thing platforms tried literally a gen ago and realized one was infinitely better lol

Yeah, multiple SKUs is such huge problem, it's never been a succes....... "Looks at the Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PS4 & PS4 Pro"

I think Sony and Microsoft are enjoying being able to sell to the $250 crowd and the $500 crowd and the resulting profits just fine, thank you very much.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, multiple SKUs is such huge problem, it's never been a succes....... "Looks at the Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PS4 & PS4 Pro"

I think Sony and Microsoft are enjoying being able to sell to the $250 crowd and the $500 crowd and the resulting profits just fine, thank you very much.
If you don't know the difference between a midgen upgrade and launching 2 SKUs, then I really see no point arguing with you on the matter of hardware manufacturing.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't know the difference between a midgen upgrade and launching 2 SKUs, then I really see no point arguing with you on the matter of hardware manufacturing.

I was just typing a response similar to this. People need to realize this. Also, everyone saying that the X proves that a higher price point is feasible aren't looking at the raw numbers for sales. People are still far more price sensitive than is being assumed

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Very good description. AMD currently has the "uncore" (I/O) @ 12nm using Global Foundries.

I'd add that DARPA has paid AMD to develop Chiplet building blocks for their projects by 2020-2021. The US Department of Energy has paid AMD to develop a Exa-scale computer that will be built with 10,000 APUs that are assembled from GPU and CPU chiplets without video I/O.

The crux of the DARPA program is to develop a new technological framework in which different functionalities and blocks of intellectual property—among them data storage, computation, signal processing, and managing the form and flow of data—can be segregated into small chiplets, which then can be mixed, matched, and combined onto an interposer, somewhat like joining the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Conceivably an entire conventional circuit board with a variety of different but full-sized chips could be shrunk down onto a much smaller interposer hosting a huddle of yet far smaller chiplets.

AMD is in the running for Department Of Energy Invests $258 Million To Build An Exascale Supercomputer
On Thursday, the United States Department of Energy's Exascale Computing Project announced it was awarding six companies -- AMD, Cray, HPE, IBM, Intel and Nvidia -- $258 million to research building the nation's first exascale supercomputer.

An exascale supercomputer would be capable of computing 1 million trillion floating-point operations per second.

The funding will be doled out over a three-year period. The Obama Administration made the first commitment to an exascale supercomputer in 2015. This new set of investments accelerates the time frame from 2023 to 2021.

21065703899l.png

Also, this image has been floating around related to DARPA's CHIPS project with the semi industry including AMD.

1YHwPZP.jpg

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

did you just compare mid-gen refreshes and slim models to having multiple SKUs at launch......

Jun 18, 2018
Has anyone got a rough idea of how the original PS4's power draw is split up between CPU, GPU, memory, HD, optical drive and other features?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree.Pro in 2016 had Polaris class GPU with some Vega features before Polaris was even out as a PC card,not to mention Vega.

Maybe due to being a mid-gen refresh they were able to be aggressive, but with PS5 needing an entirely new CPU as well as GPU they will need more time? I dunno. I still don't see how they have enough time to sort yields out when Navi is still being worked on atm.

It's November, so to launch in Fall 2019 they have like what, 6 months to finalise every aspect of the hardware and product? Ehhh.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Are we...sure ps5 is Navi 2? No one knows of the delay is real, but If it was supposed to be released 2019 would zen 2 even be possible?

Edit: wasn't their a report that Said it would have elements of zen 2 but not the whole thing? At the same time zen 2 is fundamentally 7nm, zen and zen plus are not. So it's just very confusing

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe due to being a mid-gen refresh they were able to be aggressive, but with PS5 needing an entirely new CPU as well as GPU they will need more time? I dunno. I still don't see how they have enough time to sort yields out when Navi is still being worked on atm.

It's November, so to launch in Fall 2019 they have like what, 6 months to finalise every aspect of the hardware and product? Ehhh.

well, they won't be waiting until this AMD presentation and then giving them a call - they'll have seen this and their roadmap well ahead of time. Just like they saw polaris/Vega info long before it was made public.

So you can't necessarily read anything into launch timing based on this AMD event.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
IPC gains in the footnotes:

That's a 29% gain over Zen. 23% over Zen+. I don't know the applicability of DKERN, but those are extremely promising numbers.

And based on this post, a Zen 2 die is only about 70-80mm^2. That includes PCIe but not memory controllers, and presumably up to 32MB cache. That's extremely good news for next gen consoles.

Math comparison is useless for normal people. We need to showcase the Zen2 improvement using the proper, internationally accepted, comparison method...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
well, they won't be waiting until this AMD presentation and then giving them a call - they'll have seen this and their roadmap well ahead of time. Just like they saw polaris/Vega info long before it was made public.

So you can't necessarily read anything into launch timing based on this AMD event.

With no rumours or leaks or anything regarding PS5 specs or hardware I imagine their APU design or whatever is still in the oven.

So again, I don't see how they are going to launch in 2019.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
With no rumours or leaks or anything regarding PS5 specs or hardware I imagine their APU design or whatever is still in the oven.

What was the lead time for ps pro info leaking from devs? Assuming the architecture remains stable x86/AMD GPU, I think pro is more of a guide than original PS4 as that was a big change from PS3. If existing tools etc all work moving forwards on PS5 they may be able to do a much shorter run in to launch.

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017

The simple fact of absolutely no news is weirdly lending my thoughts to 2019.

I think if there was no possibility they would have come straight out and said so by now.

That being said, there is no way to prove anything definitive either way until we get official word.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Has anyone got a rough idea of how the original PS4's power draw is split up between CPU, GPU, memory, HD, optical drive and other features?

No one can really tell you the power consumption of individual components on the APU die because its a single die. I doubt it would be an easy thing to measure.

The memory, HDD amd optical drive can probably be found by a google search. Why don't you have a go?

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
did you just compare mid-gen refreshes and slim models to having multiple SKUs at launch......

Why not? Microsoft and Apple release multiple SKUs of the Surface and iPad at the same time.

You guys are still stuck in the old-school console world where everything was coded to the the very custom and one-off metal.

Welcome to the new console world (especially for Microsoft) where the hardware is hidden behind a wall of software APIs.

-Developers will be able to make a game for a $250 console a $500 console and even a $100 streaming-only box with almost zero extra effort.
-Microsoft will be able to say they have the cheapest console AND be able to say they have the most powerful console

All your hand wringing about the complexity of multiple SKUs and hardware is ringing totally hollow to me... they do this already with other devices. Consoles are the same.

Jun 18, 2018

I call bullshit based on the supposed render of the device alone; no new generation of console has followed the looks of its predecessor that closely, and the idea of a PS2&4 hybrid screams lazy to me.

They've thrown in 'dedicated hardware for [anti aliasing solutions]' without any thought as to what this means. If you've got dedicated hardware performing decent quality MSAA, then you don't need to worry about DLSS or TAA. And as for DLSS, it's reliant on machine learning - and there's nothing about that in these specs. It's also an NVidia term, so I would expect an eventual AMD equivalent to have its own acronym.

As for the specs, I doubt we're going to see less physical cores than this gen, especially if backwards compatibility is a thing. You're not going to hope that HT is going to treat data for a software thread as good as a dedicated hardware thread.

And when it comes to the meat, the 11.2tflop GPU, 16gb ram and a 2tb HDD are all reasonable but obvious conservative estimates that have come up frequently here.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
For those asking about IPC:

HC28.AMD.Mike%20Clark.final-page-004.jpg

Zen is 50% higher than Jaguar. Zen 2 may be up to 30% faster than Zen according to AMD's press release. Couple that with a likely minimum increase in clock to 2.8GHz and we're looking at 3.4x single-threaded performance, with a max theoretical 6.8x multi-threaded speedup due to 8C/16T. FP workloads will be even higher.

This is all in roughly the same power envelope, give or take 5/10W TDP.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Why not? Microsoft and Apple release multiple SKUs of the Surface and iPad at the same time.

You guys are still stuck in the old-school console world where everything was coded to the the very custom and one-off metal.

Welcome to the new console world (especially for Microsoft) where the hardware is hidden behind a wall of software APIs.

-Developers will be able to make a game for a $250 console a $500 console and even a $100 streaming-only box with almost zero extra effort.
-Microsoft will be able to say they have the cheapest console AND be able to say they have the most powerful console

All your hand wringing about the complexity of multiple SKUs and hardware is ringing totally hollow to me... they do this already with other devices. Consoles are the same.
this is probably going to be my last reply to you, because it seems you dont really understand how this works. to put it very simply:

when multiple SKUs had no difference but storage space, they were more hurtful than harmful when it came to things like manufacturing, shipping, product orders, marketing, product placement, customer service, customer support, logistics etc. All things that go in to the process of selling a new console.

Now take into account you are discussing multiple SKUs that have actual different features between consoles and different user experiences. Youre multiplying everything i said above by a large number. Only increasing the hassle. There was a reason why there was only 1 type of PS4 and XB1 at launch.

If you think any of the platform holders will launch multiple SKUs at launch, even just a 1TB & 2TB version, that is mistaken. Now add to that you think there will be things like a mid-grade cheap version, a super powerful overpriced version, and a bare bones streaming console for dirt cheap? Like i said on your original post, whatever planet you envision this happening on, it's not earth. There will be *one* PS5, and *one* Xbox Scarlet.

This will ensure that all launch logistics are aligned, marketing is aligned, and the consumer base is aligned. Mid-gen refreshes dont have to worry about this because they have their own set of these logistics. So comparing them to multiple launch SKUs makes zero sense.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Someone sent that to me too. It is extremely fake. Like I've said a million times before, don't count on 2019.

people expecting a launch in 12 months but we have heard nothing yet. it's like...be realistic.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If you can't get basic things like importance of regions correct then why bother with a fake "leak"? Imagine wasting your time like that.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Someone sent that to me too. It is extremely fake. Like I've said a million times before, don't count on 2019.

Genuine question Jason. Why do you refrain from just saying 2019 isn't happening and rule it out once and for all? Something must be causing the hesitation over and above things can change.

Is what happened with PS4 Pro causing you to pause just in case?

FSmallhands

Nov 3, 2017
Genuine question Jason. Why do you refrain from just saying 2019 isn't happening and rule it out once and for all? Something must be causing the hesitation over and above things can change.

To be fair, he isnt a spokeperson for sony or MS.

He cant make that announcement.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Am I the only one who thinks 16 gigs of ram would be a small number for a true generation jump? Of course, anything above that would greatly affect the final price, even more with them releasing an improved version of the same console in the future. But I would like to see the strongest console possible from the start, with something between 18 and 24 gigs.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Am I the only one who thinks 16 gigs of ram would be a small number for a true generation jump? Of course, anything above that would greatly affect the final price, even more with them releasing an improved version of the same console in the future. But I would like to see the strongest console possible from the start, with something between 18 and 24 gigs.
It is on the small side, but we're helped by the fact that top resolution is very unlikely to change this generation (4K) and Navi will have HBCC and more memory compression techniques to lighten memory usage.

Is this real? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_DqP5DG7w or just a good guess. OLED for PSVR2 is likely wrong, 1080P/eye resolution for PSVR2 likely wrong. . Stream processors 3640 are not a multiple of 64

Genuine rumors are very unlikely to be broken on YouTube. It's a haven for sensationalist content unfortunately.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

What do you mean by "what happened with PS4 Pro"?

I cannot definitively say "2019 isn't happening" because I do not work for Sony and I have not been briefed on the PS5. All I can say is that people I've talked to about this, some of whom have been briefed, do not believe that 2019 is happening.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

To be fair he is not kodera to make that call.he is telling u what he has heard from people in industry. Be realstic, we are 12 month away from late 2019 and we don't even have a project name of ps5 let alone specs . And reason is that it probably isn't even finalised on Sony's end yet.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
What do you mean by "what happened with PS4 Pro"?

Just the fact it came out of nowhere at GDC 2016 and even devs were questioning whether it was coming out that year as it seemed 'exploratory' and very few devs even knew anything about it.

I cannot definitively say "2019 isn't happening" because I do not work for Sony and I have not been briefed on the PS5. All I can say is that people I've talked to about this, some of whom have been briefed, do not believe that 2019 is happening.

I think you know what I meant......No worries, I'll leave it there.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Ruling something out implies that you have some information to stave your conclusion. And as he keeps saying, while he's erring towards 2019 probably not being the case, he doesn't really have any conclusive statements to say that it definitely won't be the case.