• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't always a thing. Updates used to be pretty quick, then bang, 40 minute wait to 'copy'. I think things changed a couple of years after launch and never went back.

It's probably my biggest annoyance with the console.

Which games are you seeing this with and are they digital? Because some people have never seen this, it's probably dependant on a bunch of things and it looks like getting your games digital instead of physical could be one of them.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is easily the thing I hate the most about PSN. Wanted to fire up GT Sport after a small update. Now I'm waiting over half an hour for the copying. And it is only at 41%. Unbelievable.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
It seems to be weirdly inconsistent too. I had two updates yesterday, one for The Last of Us and the other for Uncharted 4. Neither were very big, but The Last of Us installed instantly, whereas Uncharted 4 needed a few minutes of copying.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
It's new, didn't happen before a few years ago. At first I thought it was because of my PS4's hard drive being too fragmented, but it seems to be a general issue.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Which games are you seeing this with and are they digital? Because some people have never seen this, it's probably dependant on a bunch of things and it looks like getting your games digital instead of physical could be one of them.
Hmm, hadn't really thought about it but it happens with both. Happened a lot with Destiny 2 (digital) and most recently GT Sport (physical).

I'm going to try the database rebuild endlessflood mentioned. Hopefully that helps.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
This happened with me and it's on disc. Also with Spidey as well.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
It's beyond frustrating to come home from working 12-14 hour shifts. Not have a chance to play anything for sometimes over a week or more, have to download patch/update, which can take sometimes 20+ minutes and then wait for the update to copy for over 45 minutes. It legit makes me not even want to turn on my PS4 sometimes when I know there is an update.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
when destiny updates with an expansion i leave work a half hour earoy because of how long it takes

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's beyond frustrating to come home from working 12-14 hour shifts. Not have a chance to play anything for sometimes over a week or more, have to download patch/update, which can take sometimes 20+ minutes and then wait for the update to copy for over 45 minutes. It legit makes me not even want to turn on my PS4 sometimes when I know there is an update.

You can minimize this with some preparation. Leave your PS4 in rest mode when you leave in the morning if you're going to play in the evening. Or when you get home, start up the game you're going to play the first thing you do and leave it running in the background while you do other stuff.

Hmm, hadn't really thought about it but it happens with both. Happened a lot with Destiny 2 (digital) and most recently GT Sport (physical).

I'm going to try the database rebuild endlessflood mentioned. Hopefully that helps.

This happened with me and it's on disc. Also with Spidey as well.

Alright, thanks for the info. GT Sport seems to be one of the main offenders with this.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This attempt against humanity needs to stop. Got a few seconds 250mb Monster Hunter update and now I'm close to 10 minutes waiting for this copying bs and it's only at 32%

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Destiny 2 and Fallout 76 take the longest to copy for me. Gran Turismo will copy and update that's 8 times the size in 1/4 the time the others do.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
there has to be a solution for ps4 cutting download speeds to like nothing right?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I hate this shit every time Rocket League has an update. Even though my system should download them in rest mode, it doesn't. So I'll be like "Yeah man I'm getting on now. Oh, a 35mb patch? I'll be there in 40 minutes then."

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
This was always a thing but it used to say something else. I can't remember what it was. "Preparing download"? Or something like that.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
60% that'd be 30% every 10 minu
I hate this shit every time Rocket League has an update. Even though my system should download them in rest mode, it doesn't. So I'll be like "Yeah man I'm getting on now. Oh, a 35mb patch? I'll be there in 40 minutes then."

Well, it's been half an hour for me right now, 250mb update... copying at 96%

Excited to finally play the game...

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I had to copy a Saga Frontier save file from one memory card to the other today as it wasn't reading for whatever reason. It didn't take too long though.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next time a publication interviews Sony execs about the PS5, we need them to ask about this shit. I'm super invested in the PlayStation ecosystem but if I need 100gb free to download a 2gb patch, I might as well not have that 98gb at all.