• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Being real, if Sony is supporting on screen controls for remote play on PS5, there is absolutely no reason to not support PS4 controller for PS5 games. Just my two cents.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So wait are all communties gone? I joined a few comicbook related ones would those be considered private?

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I can't access my friends list since this update; which is annoying as it doesn't seem like ANYTHING has changed or improved?

adeelgg

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the beta for this update and have to say while the new parties seemed strange at first they work a lot better now. They seem to be on dedicated servers instead of p2p so I no longer run into issues when party chatting with friends with strict NAT types and the audio quality stays high for those with slower connections. It feels more like Skype or discord where your chat with a friend or group is always there and you can jump in and out of voice chat instead of needing an invite/creating a party all the time

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
It seems a bit shit they're basically getting rid of communities. It already had a massive nerf with the removal of parties a few months ago. I hope there's something better for PS5.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Anyone know how to change 2FA from SMS to app? I've been waiting for this for a while and I haven't found anything on the PS4 or their site yet.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Removal of Event Creation and Private Community Creation
After 8.00, you will no longer be able to create Events or access existing Events created by other users.

We're also removing the ability to create private Communities under the Community app on PS4. If you already have existing private Communities, you can continue to access them.

Huh. Wonder if it's in anticipation of new similar features, or they're just doing away with this. The communities are kind of badly implemented, but the event feature was pretty nice.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah my friends list won't load. Seems abit laggy all around. Hopefully it's something that works out.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As someone with literally no PSN friends who doesn't use parties / chat, can someone explain what exactly is different that apparently has people so upset?

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to clarify this matter asap.

Sony isn't invited to my party.

Found an article from 2013 that says Sony already has permission to go to your party and wreck things:

"Any information collected in this way, for example, your UGM, the content of your voice and text communications, video of your gameplay, the time and location of your activities, and your name, your PSN Online ID and IP address, may be used by us or our affiliated companies to enforce these Terms and the SEN Terms of Service, to comply with the law, to protect our rights and those of our licensors and users, and to protect the personal safety of our employees and users. This information may be passed to the police or other appropriate authorities. By accepting these Software Usage Terms, you expressly consent to this."

v1.escapistmagazine.com

Sony Reserves Right to "Monitor and Record" PS4 User Communication

Question: Is Sony monitoring PSN? Answer: Yes. Yes they are. An updated version of Sony’s Software Usage Terms for the PS4 stipulate that Sony may “monitor and record” communications between users made through PSN. The same section of the terms stipulates that Sony also reserves the right to...

I think this specific change could be related to other users reporting your audio. I am just speculating but since they are increasing party size to 100 users, what if another user can "Report" you and it feeds the Playstation Safety team the last 30 seconds of what the reporting user just heard. They can review the content of the audio, say yep this user is racist/abusive, and then ban you.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'd just like to say a big fuck you to Sony for the useful features they removed from my PS4 in firmware 8.0.

My Australian PSN Community used Community party chats to signify they were parties where anyone in the Community was welcome to join (they came up with our Community icon next to them in the party list).

We used Events to organise gaming nights (such as themed Gran Turismo Sport race nights) so that we could easily tell people information about the night (e.g. what tracks, what cars to bring), track attendance, and also easily let people know what the start time was in their local timezone (we had gamers across 6 different timezones).

Firmware 8.0 took those features away, and replaced them with... nothing. Just straight up deleted them. What a bunch of cunts.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I'd just like to say a big fuck you to Sony for the useful features they removed from my PS4 in firmware 8.0.

My Australian PSN Community used Community party chats to signify they were parties where anyone in the Community was welcome to join (they came up with our Community icon next to them in the party list).

We used Events to organise gaming nights (such as themed Gran Turismo Sport race nights) so that we could easily tell people information about the night (e.g. what tracks, what cars to bring), track attendance, and also easily let people know what the start time was in their local timezone (we had gamers across 6 different timezones).

Firmware 8.0 took those features away, and replaced them with... nothing. Just straight up deleted them. What a bunch of cunts.
Communities was indeed a great feature. I used it all the time and it was helpful to check out if a certain game had people playing in that instant.
Why did they remove it?

Oct 25, 2017
Communities was indeed a great feature. I used it all the time and it was helpful to check out if a certain game had people playing in that instant.
Why did they remove it?

My guess would be lack of use, does suck if you found a active community you enjoy on there, but my last thought if I had a question about a game would be to search out a PSN community for it.

Glad they added some more avatars feel like they still could add so many more in the new circle format, like how don't they have something for all of their big PS4 games. Death Stranding, Days Gone, Sack Boy, Spider-Man, etc.

There are two avatars from the PS3 of a toothbrush one with and without toothpaste, this has got to be the weirdest assortment of images.

Last edited:

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think it needs clarification. It's right there in black and white. Others can record you in party chat and file complaints using that audio. It specifically says other users.

Others recording you is a possibility with all things, this is about Sony recording all chat audio all the time.

Found an article from 2013 that says Sony already has permission to go to your party and wreck things:

v1.escapistmagazine.com

Sony Reserves Right to "Monitor and Record" PS4 User Communication

Question: Is Sony monitoring PSN? Answer: Yes. Yes they are. An updated version of Sony’s Software Usage Terms for the PS4 stipulate that Sony may “monitor and record” communications between users made through PSN. The same section of the terms stipulates that Sony also reserves the right to...

I think this specific change could be related to other users reporting your audio. I am just speculating but since they are increasing party size to 100 users, what if another user can "Report" you and it feeds the Playstation Safety team the last 30 seconds of what the reporting user just heard. They can review the content of the audio, say yep this user is racist/abusive, and then ban you.

If it's something like that, then it would be fine. But this is to me what needs to be clarified, what is recorded and when.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If you're new to authenticators, I recommend going with the Microsoft authenticator over the google one.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
As someone with literally no PSN friends who doesn't use parties / chat, can someone explain what exactly is different that apparently has people so upset?
You can no longer create an empty party with just yourself in order to automatically remove yourself from multiplayer voice chat. (An easy way to avoid toxic comments, unwanted music, and background noise like pets and children, etc.)

Addtionally, you can no longer create an open party and have your friends join when they're online/ready. (this is what I do) It's so much easier to just have the first one online in your friends list create the party and have others join as they can. From what I understand about this update, now you HAVE to invite people in order to create a party; which is inconvenient in many ways.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
So inviting someone to a group gives access to the previous chat history, thats beyond fubar. If my friend decides to add someone they have access to potentially personal information I gave out and i have 0 control or even a way to purge the message history.

And I do know a few very vindictive people who would abuse this.

This is ridiculously insane. R.I.P. privacy.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
You can no longer create an empty party with just yourself in order to automatically remove yourself from multiplayer voice chat. (An easy way to avoid toxic comments, unwanted music, and background noise like pets and children, etc.)
Dangit this was my go to apex legends tactic lol

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Others recording you is a possibility with all things, this is about Sony recording all chat audio all the time.

If it's something like that, then it would be fine. But this is to me what needs to be clarified, what is recorded and when.

What's the big concern with Sony having access to party chat audio? Do you think they'll learn what kind of Fig Newton's you like and run targeted ads?

Google and Facebook have mountains more information on you than Sony ever will...this is just another small piece of a much larger picture.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it needs clarification. It's right there in black and white. Others can record you in party chat and file complaints using that audio. It specifically says other users.
Good. I had some shit experiences in some party chats I was super upset when someone was commenting on my race or whatever it was shit. I'm all for Less harassment.

Oct 25, 2017
So the friends list issue is still going on then? Just updated in the U.K. and it's constantly trying to load then hitting me with an error code of: WS-37505-0.

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
What's the big concern with Sony having access to party chat audio? Do you think they'll learn what kind of Fig Newton's you like and run targeted ads?

Google and Facebook have mountains more information on you than Sony ever will...this is just another small piece of a much larger picture.

Privacy is a principal human right. There is no need for any additional concern. Whenever privacy is violated it should be scrutinized and questioned.
You are also dealing with basic assumptions here, because you don't know anything about my internet behavior except for what I have exposed to you here on Era.

The normalization of decreased personal privacy online, doesn't mean we should just accept every time another potentially safe space is violated.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Totally forgot about communities still being a thing for some. Sounds like existing ones are staying, it's just that no more private ones can be made going forward.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Just looked at PlayStation's FB post on the update, comments just full of pissed off people. Update was definitely a swing and a miss, wonder if they'll walk back any of the changes or just wait for people to cool off.

Lots of confusion about that party recording notification that pops up when you join a party too. People thinking Sony is automatically recording chat and not that they are trying to say that other players themselves can record you and report you.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need reverse this until they can fix the friends list issue. Maybe at the same time just rethink the party system change.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The public/private settings for parties have been removed. Only members of the group can join the party.

That's some premium garbage right here.

What a horrible firmware right before PS5. Restrictions to this, restrictions to that, everything dumber and more complicated, welcome to the future.

Edit:

Oh cool, and friendlists are dead.