Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I hate gyro aiming but it should be a option for those that like it. And while we're at it steam also let's me turn off that damned light.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
It's great on the Switch due to having separate Joycons and basically using only the right one as a pointing device/gun, but moving around a whole controller like the DS4 constantly would be a pain in the ass in the long run.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sony do this with Killzone 2 or 3? I thought it was a little neat at the time but I never used it beyond a novelty.

if I remember correctly, I think killzone 2's implementation of the sixaxis was for the sniper sections and it wasn't for aiming, it was to make you keep your hands steady so you don't move your gun (so they're making you not to use it).

uncharted 1 has sixaxis implementation but it was only for balancing your character when he's walking on planks and for grenades, which both weren't really pleasant to use.

both aren't really a representation of what gyro can be good for

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason it feels WAY better to me when it's something I'm doing with the right joycon only and not when I'm tilting an entire gamepad. Still, the option is nice and should probably be implemented more often.

Oct 25, 2017
What did they use in Heavenly Sword? Whatever that shit was kinda sucked. It's been like 10 years though, so I think it could be implemented better now.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's not a thing on PS4 and is a thing on Switch because Switch's most popular shooter (though maybe it's behind Fortnite these days) is Splatoon 2, a game series that helped popularize gyro controllers for shooting by making it the default. Now, since the ability is there, I don't know why companies aren't patching their games for PS4 when they patch them for Switch. But I think Splatoon/Splatoon 2 (and the games that have followed) are the reason they are in demand on Switch.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming is excellent, and should at least be an option for many games on any platform that supports it.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Ha I am surprised to see the number of people actively against the option.

Reasoning, perhaps?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they even know it exists such that they can make an informed decision?

Every time it tries to enter the core market, meaning playstation and xbox, it's widely and soundly rejected by the audience. I'm not talking about the moms who bought kinect and flailed around in front of it, I'm talking about everyone else. People who buy the yearly 3rd party games and people like us on forums it's probably the only thing we agree on.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I remember using Gyro aiming in Uncharted Golden Abyss on PS Vita. Always wonder why no other games utilize the feature.
It was great!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Gyro aiming on Steam is next level stuff. I laugh when people call it trash without properly giving it a chance. It's not like you have to swing your hands wildly. You just make slight adjustments to help correct your aim.

I don't get why it isn't even an option in Sony produced games.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gyro aiming on Steam is next level stuff. I laugh when people call it trash without properly giving it a chance. It's not like you have to swing your hands wildly. You just make slight adjustments to help correct your aim.

I don't get why it isn't even an option in Sony produced games.

yeah, i can't use that controller without gyro

heck there's no reason not to have it enabled because if you turn the sensitivity down it's basically there for small adjustments when you need it, and you're not swinging your arms when you use the controller so you could basically ignore it even when it's on

having gyro is basically having 2 aiming options with 2 different sensitivity at the same time, which is an advantage.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Every time it tries to enter the core market, meaning playstation and xbox, it's widely and soundly rejected by the audience. I'm not talking about the moms who bought kinect and flailed around in front of it, I'm talking about everyone else. People who buy the yearly 3rd party games and people like us on forums it's probably the only thing we agree on.

What specifically is it that the core audience doesn't like about gyro aiming you think? Too hard to get comfortable playing a game while moving the hands and wrists? Something like that?

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

Then explain why millions bought Splatoon. Lots of People like Gyro. People who've experienced Gyro tend to like it in the long run.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I guess I wonder what it'd be like if Sony "supported" it as much as Nintendo supports its gimmicks, ya know?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What specifically is it that the core audience doesn't like about gyro aiming you think? Too hard to get comfortable playing a game while moving the hands and wrists? Something like that?

If I had to guess it's the burden of having to get used to something new when what they have right now works perfectly fine in everything. They don't want to take the time to adjust, they just want to get in and play the game.

Then explain why millions bought Splatoon. Lots of People like Gyro. People who've experienced Gyro tend to like it in the long run.

I mentioned nothing about the nintendo audience who is wildly different to the others and are used to nintendo's gimmicks.

Oct 27, 2017
As some people have said, It's because the audience hasn't been trained to accept the concept, and are still on the "lol motion control" straw-man. I'd say developers should be including gyro aiming as an optional standard in ALL PlayStation 4 shooters, whether the player-base likes it or not.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Gyro aiming is excellent and should be an option on any controller or system that supports it.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't know who "we" should be, but ever since Splatoon 1 came out there has been more than enough debate on the old forum and here about gyro and there are a lot more positive opinions on that topic compared to when motion controls first came along, because the tech behind it has improved by a countrymile, making it a precise and effective option to aim in shooters.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gyro aiming makes more sense on Switch to me where you're holding the screen in your hands and your view moves with the motion. Using it on a controller with a stationary screen has never seemed very good to me.
Nope. After playing a lot of Splatoon 1 and 2, you want a fixed screen/position and just turn the controller. Otherwise you would move the whole screen and miss something

People don't want that shit in games. The market has spoken...and for once they got something right.

Truth. It honestly seems more weird than anything else to me. I've never cared for it.

Funny to always see these kind of responses from people that never tried it. Do you still think it's like Wiimote Waggle? Cause it's not.
But even funnier is, how a market can speak for or against a thing, when most don't have the option to peoperly test it.
Does it ruin you experience? Not really, but maybe because those using gyro in a competitive game would kick thoses asses not using it due to being faster, more accurate and not being reliable on a aim-assist system implemented so that you can hit something with dual stick only.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly have no idea why the option isn't at least there for PS4 shooters. For those who are violently against gyro controls, just turn it off.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Does everyone understand that gyro + stick is more accurate and faster than stick alone?

Or does anyone contest it?

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: Red Faction Guerilla ReMarstered has it on PS4. BUT IT IS TERRIBLE! They did a real crap job on that port.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With the Dualshock 4, I've personally never really had a situation that I wanted or even thought about gyro controls cause the analog sticks feel fine as is and give plenty of room for adjustments/travel.

On the Joycon's though, I can see the desire for gyro. Those sticks have little room for adjustments and overall feel inferior to the other controllers (even the Pro controller). So when the majority of users have the Joycon's and come from the other larger controllers, I can see why they'd want gyro to be more precise.

I can also just be looking at this wrong as I can't remember the last time I've used gyro controls.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gryo aiming is great. I keep hoping it catches on. At least devs are putting it in switch games

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I would never use it nor do I care about it, just like cross play. However both should still be options as options are always nice to have especially when it's something your device is capable of.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017
I thought that first post was a pretty good start! :o
I think gyro aiming is great and should appear in more PS4 games but, I don't find it as comfortable as it is on the Switch. On the PS4, the only game that I have that uses it, is Gravity Rush 2, and I use it all the time there, because it's way faster and more precise to use than the sticks; but without a quick way to recenter the camera you can turn your hands to some really awkward and uncomfortable positions.

On the Switch, I use it to play Splatoon 2, and that's the best implementation I've ever used, especially if you're using the joycons separated from the Switch (one in each hand). Playing in that way, the speed and precision is much greater than the sticks, and it's more comfortable than the PS4 because you only have to rotate one hand, and the game provides a quick way to recenter the controller to camera view. I find that Splatoon 2's gyro implementation allows me to get really close to m+kb levels of play speed, it's that good.

The Vita also had a number of games that did gyro aiming well (Gravity Rush 1, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary), but the problem there was that you were also moving the screen, so it was best used to compliment the sticks rather than replace them.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think gyro aiming is great and should appear in more PS4 games but, I don't find it as comfortable as it is on the Switch. On the PS4, the only game that I have that uses it, is Gravity Rush 2, and I use it all the time there, because it's way faster and more precise to use than the sticks; but without a quick way to recenter the camera you can turn your hands to some really awkward and uncomfortable positions.

On the Switch, I use it to play Splatoon 2, and that's the best implementation I've ever used, especially if you're using the joycons separated from the Switch (one in each hand). Playing in that way, the speed and precision is much greater than the sticks, and it's more comfortable than the PS4 because you only have to rotate one hand, and the game provides a quick way to recenter the controller to camera view. I find that Splatoon 2's gyro implementation allows me to get really close to m+kb levels of play speed, it's that good.

The Vita also had a number of games that did gyro aiming well (Gravity Rush 1, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary), but the problem there was that you were also moving the screen, so it was best used to compliment the sticks rather than replace them.

I agree. While I like it on my ds4 and steam controllers, but it's even better when you can do it one handed with a joycon.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation players haven't had the history of using motion and gyro for aiming, so they will be resistant to change. Nintendo consoles dropped dual analog in the Gamecube days and have since moved on to better control methods for each console, so they have different expectations.

A Playstation player playing with gyro for the first time will probably immediately try to turn it off because they aren't used to it. A Nintendo player given dual analog today will probably be baffled at how slow and cumbersome it all is (example: the reactions to Fortnite here when it first came out on Switch but had no gyro).