NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help thinking next gen will be starting slower out of the gate than last gen. we're all so fed up with PS360 last gen and so eager to move to PS4/XBX. this time around, we already have talks about nextgen, but I think people are still comfortable with current gen spec. you have many people saying it's too soon, or the gen just feel like it's starting to get good etc. mid gen refresh also helps.

so I'm guessing that PS4 will still continue to sell well even when PS5 is out. and if Sony can manage to sell PS4 for really low price like less than around $150 or so, I can see PS4 selling 10s of millions more after PS5 is out.

How people feel now is not going to be how people feel 2 years from now. Heading into current gen all the talk was about how consoles were dead yet PS4 steamrolled out of the gate, which caught everyone off guard. Look at publisher support in 2013/14 for proof. It's why we got so many cross ports and remasters in those first couple of years.

I think consumer spending habits with regards to electronics have changed. The moment PS5 launches it becomes the shiny new thing that everybody wants. I don't think there is going to be much of a market for the old stuff. All it takes is for a game like Cyberpunk or something similar running on new hardware to convince gamers "oh yeah maybe I do need a new box"

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Benji

How much do you think the Pro has contributed to sustained momentum in this case? Compared to previous generations where there were no iterative consoles would things usually have dropped off a little by now?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Here's a list of best-selling game consoles

That would put it at the highest-selling console under 100 million, surpassing the PS3 and X360. It will crawl past 100 million most likely, but 120 million is a stretch considering how much it's slowing.

It's slowing because the price has only dropped by 25% in 5 years. It'll spike when they drop it again, and it would probably be possible to get a 7nm Super Slim down to $149 eventually. That's not even getting into the (admittedly slim) possibility of a portable 3nm SKU way down the line, probably 2023.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
YJoroNu.gif

a lil outdated but still relevant.
monster sales

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Why does that say ps4 sold 99 mil if they just announced 86 mil?

Those are AMD GPU's sold to their respective manufacturers by year supply, this just says Sony max cap to manufacture is 99 million PS4's by the end of 2018. No console sales are estimated here just max manufacturing capability.

Example: Can't sell 40 million XB1's if you only have 36 million GPU's available.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now PS4 passed PS3 and X360 and became 4th best selling home console of all time, behind Wii, PS1 and PS2.

By the end of March 2019. PS4 should be at 97,5 million shipped and I expect 100 million by the end of June.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
By this time next year PS5 will be the second best selling home console of all time, based Cerny and Kaz!

Oct 28, 2017
Those are AMD GPU's sold to their respective manufacturers by year supply, this just says Sony max cap to manufacture is 99 million PS4's by the end of 2018. No console sales are estimated here just max manufacturing capability.

Example: Can't sell 40 million XB1's if you only have 36 million GPU's available.

Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up buddy. So could this also mean Xbox one sales are considerably lower than 36 mil? Cause I find that hard to believe. If so, then wow.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up buddy. So could this also mean Xbox one sales are considerably lower than 36 mil? Cause I find that hard to believe. If so, then wow.

It may or may not be it just depends if MS ordered an extra bulk of GPU's after this report came out. But still chances are it's less than 40 million total GPU's YTD.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 continues to sell great. They will be ~93-94M by new year, and then another ~4M in calendar Q1 2019. By the end of june's quarter, PS4 will not only surpass 100M, but it will probably also surpass PS1 and Wii, thus making it #2 home console of all time.

November 2019:
$399 - Playstation 5
$299 - Playstation 4 Pro
$199 - Playstation 4

IMO, big nope. The reason for Pro's existance is to offer higher resolution versions of PS4 games. If PS5 can do everything that Pro can do [games will be emulated in Pro mode], then there is no reason for Pro to be in stores.

$399 - Playstation 5
$199 - Playstation 4

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There's time until 2020 to keep moving big numbers. With the seven (at least) projects made by internal studios still to be released, I cannot see any succesor within the next year. Why would they? Part of the reason why Days Gone was delayed is because... They don't need it at the market by the time it was planned to launch.

Discounting PS VR titles and lesser games (in terms of production) like Everybody's Golf or Knack II, seven is exactly the number of big SIE exclusives released between 2017 and 2018. With that figure in mind, I'm certain there's fuel enough on PS4 for at least fall 2020.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
These are just estimates, AMD does not provide splits in their reports. Most estimates by rival research firms have had XBO typically anywhere between 35-40m at the end of last year. But that's for the MS results thread.

I was wondering the same and just wanted to add this from the report:

Jon Peddie said:
We used company financial reports to arrive at the shipments and installed base of gaming consoles. Every quarter we collect shipment data from AMD, Intel, and Nvidia on their processors. We segment the market into three categories (High-end, Mainstream, and Entry-level – see Figure 9: GPU market segmentation, page 12). That data goes into our GPU report, Market Watch, and our graphics board report, AIB (add-in boards)

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If this AMD GPU report is anything to go by they should be at around 36 million XB1's sold max.

It's a bunch of estimates and also incorrect. The PS4 number for 2017 is incorrect and XB1 numbers are also incorrect. Unless the XB1 sold less than zero units outside the US in 2017.

It's just a market research company trying to guess at total sales. The PS4 numbers from 2013 to 16 are straight from Sony's financial reports.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I think it will land around 120 assuming another decent price drop

But we have to see how long legs pro has with price drops too depends how much of course will be interesting

They've never approached the 99 price point that ps2 hit and that's probably a huge limiting factor

I think the lowest price for the PS4 will be 229$ ( and 199$ during sales like Black Friday ). People are going disappointed if they expect a price point around 200$. It won't happen. Look at the 3DS, 8 years later the system is still selling more than 150$.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
There's time until 2020 to keep moving big numbers. With the seven (at least) projects made by internal studios still to be released, I cannot see any succesor within the next year. Why would they? Part of the reason why Days Gone was delayed is because... They don't need it at the market by the time it was planned to launch.

Discounting PS VR titles and lesser games (in terms of production) like Everybody's Golf or Knack II, seven is exactly the number of big SIE exclusives released between 2017 and 2018. With that figure in mind, I'm certain there's fuel enough on PS4 for at least fall 2020.

The PS5 isn't going to suddenly drop PS4 sales. It's going to come out at $399-499, with the PS4 probably being $199. They won't target the same people.The PS5 might come next year or 2020, but they won't go delaying it just because the PS4 sells well.

I find the lack of new first-party announcements this year far more telling, along with Sony ignoring PGW and canceling PSX.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I think the lowest price for the PS4 will be 229$ ( and 199$ during sales like Black Friday ). People are going disappointed if they expect a price point around 200$. It won't happen. Look at the 3DS, 8 years later the system is still selling more than 150$.
Agree it will be similar to ps3 costs late stage

Never really saw it less than 200 ever

Imo that above anything is why it cannot reach ps2 sales

I assume costs are such from traditional parts and manufacturing pipelines that it is not realistic to reduce costs as much unless there is a major move to smaller fabrication process which is way limited right now and reserved for upcoming parts and only high end

Hope next consoles make it to small node processes to fit more on die and such and more performance but I think future wise outside of streaming consoles this is the typical price trend now nothing ever below 200

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bunch of estimates and also incorrect. The PS4 number for 2017 is incorrect and XB1 numbers are also incorrect. Unless the XB1 sold less than zero units outside the US in 2017.

It's just a market research company trying to guess at total sales. The PS4 numbers from 2013 to 16 are straight from Sony's financial reports.
So did the Xbox One surpass 40M or not?

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
between selling more units and earning more margins (per unit), take a guess which option corporations prefer.

Is it that simple though? Getting a system into people's homes means selling ps+, ps now, and other content they get a cut of. I'm sure they know what they're doing but it's more complicated than just the money from selling the console.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
November 2019:
$399 - Playstation 5
$299 - Playstation 4 Pro
$199 - Playstation 4
Nah, I bet they discontinue the pro and leave the base PS4 as the margin maker. The pro most likely costs way more to manufacture and at its current volume vs the base model. I doubt it makes sense to keep it around while PS5 is out.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is simply insane

You have to keep in mind they aren't throwing their console at the people for nearly free.
This is still all selling at a high price and people simply can't hold back and wait for price cuts.

Really happy for Sony and hopefully they can continue that way NextGen.