• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Is it really hard to believe that some people might not view things the same way you do?
Of course you're free to have your own preferences.
I'm just surprised that anyone would want to bring back letterboxing in movies after 21:9 displays finally eliminated it for 99% of them.
The most common aspect ratio for movies is 2.37:1, and most "21:9" displays are very slightly wider, since they're technically 43:18 (2.39:1).
I'd prefer that they were 2.40:1 since that's as wide as typical movie aspect ratios get.

If I could buy a 2.40:1 TV, I would do so in a heartbeat.
I cannot stand letterboxing and the way that it either makes the image smaller, or requires you to sit closer to get the same impact.
Movies are supposed to have a bigger and more immersive image than TV, not less - and I prefer that for games as well.
16:9 is especially bad in third-person games. I played Resident Evil 3 on a 16:9 projector, and it felt so claustrophobic compared to my 21:9 monitor. I hate it.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Those games look very impressive in ultrawide.

Ultrawide is the god tier gaming upgrade IMO. 21:9@1440p is where it's at!

higuma

May 17, 2019
this is technically interesting but like, rip any sort of art direction or composition

Jan 11, 2018
Of course you're free to have your own preferences.
I'm just surprised that anyone would want to bring back letterboxing in movies after 21:9 displays finally eliminated it for 99% of them.
The most common aspect ratio for movies is 2.37:1, and most "21:9" displays are very slightly wider, since they're technically 43:18 (2.39:1).
I'd prefer that they were 2.40:1 since that's as wide as typical movie aspect ratios get.

If I could buy a 2.40:1 TV, I would do so in a heartbeat.
I cannot stand letterboxing and the way that it either makes the image smaller, or requires you to sit closer to get the same impact.
Movies are supposed to have a bigger and more immersive image than TV, not less - and I prefer that for games as well.
16:9 is especially bad in third-person games. I played Resident Evil 3 on a 16:9 projector, and it felt so claustrophobic compared to my 21:9 monitor. I hate it.

I don't want to bring back letterboxing, and there's not much you can do about the movie industry standards since they've been far from a good match with televisions since forever, but I am also not a big movie buff so I'm mostly talking about gaming here. And for that purpose I find 16:9 to be pretty good even if I'd be okay with something slightly wider. But 32:9 is just ridiculous to me. At that point it's starting to look like a strip rather than something to cover a human eye's FOV.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to bring back letterboxing, and there's not much you can do about the movie industry standards since they've been far from a good match with televisions since forever, but I am also not a big movie buff so I'm mostly talking about gaming here. And for that purpose I find 16:9 to be pretty good even if I'd be okay with something slightly wider. But 32:9 is just ridiculous to me. At that point it's starting to look like a strip rather than something to cover a human eye's FOV.
I agree that 32:9 is too wide, since it forces me to sit further back - which makes the image feel smaller.
But 21:9 does not. I can comfortably sit as close to a 21:9 display as I can with 16:9. It fills more of my vision without being any less comfortable.
  • Going back to 16:9 for gaming after 21:9 feels like something is missing - even if the display is much larger; e.g. a 130" projector.
  • Going back to 21:9 after 32:9 feels more immersive because I can sit closer.
At least that has been my experience.
Perhaps people that like the 32:9 format for gaming were already sitting far enough from their displays that all it does is add width, rather than force them to sit further back due to discomfort.

Jan 11, 2018
I agree that 32:9 is too wide, since it forces me to sit further back - which makes the image feel smaller.
But 21:9 does not. I can comfortably sit as close to a 21:9 display as I can with 16:9. It fills more of my vision without being any less comfortable.
  • Going back to 16:9 for gaming after 21:9 feels like something is missing - even if the display is much larger; e.g. a 130" projector.
  • Going back to 21:9 after 32:9 feels more immersive because I can sit closer.
At least that has been my experience.
Perhaps people that like the 32:9 format for gaming were already sitting far enough from their displays that all it does is add width, rather than force them to sit further back due to discomfort.

I feel like 32:9 is a format you'd use for a massive LED screen at a stadium or other public space.

I still think 21:9 is a tad bit too wide. But I guess it also greatly depends on what games you play. Fighting games at 21:9 just feel off.

ganmo

May 21, 2018
Pretty impressive. I'm impressed that someone still wanna play old PS1 games ;)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
This is ridiculous and I love it.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Jan 11, 2018

LOL!

Think that was a jab at Sony and Jim Ryan

I thought so too, but...

Mostly because 3d games doesn't age so well. But that's a personal taste. I do enjoy old ps1 2d games though :)

To me early polygon graphics are every bit as charming as 8-bit graphics. I feel the same way about those Virtua Fighter graphics as some do about Super Mario Bros.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
These look incredible. I'm usually a real hardware snob but the PS1 with perspective correction at a higher resolution is gorgeous.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
The lack of pre-rendered backgrounds paid off!

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

While the UI is too stretched to actually play it at 32:9 (alongside making the loading of the terrain very obvious in the open), it works great at 16:9. Coupled with the perspective correction, it's a huge improvement. Since there's no UI during gameplay you can also take some cool screenshots at 32:9 at least.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Someone do some Wipeout games.
UI and menus stretch in both 2097 and 3, and 3 in particular doesn't play well at all with any aspect ratio over 16:9 as the track gets loaded out near the edges. 2097 does this too but to a much lesser degree, the tracks I tried seem playable if you can deal with the UI stretching.

unknown.png

unknown.png

I don't have the first one so somebody else will have to try it.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I'm astonished so many of these games' renderers just roll with it instead of being hardcoded to cull outside the 4:3 view. Amazing results, though. :O