rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
GMdzvyEWkAAkKs9

Yikes, surely they will publish a retraction... right?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Everything about this screams a kent state 2.0 waiting to happen. Time refuses to be anything but a circle.
Honestly I think the MSNBC gaslighting about "the most peaceful and non-violent application of disbursement ever" coupled with all the deliberate ad hominem attacks via cherry picking, while completely ignoring the violent counter protestors, indicates to me the way this is going to get covered.

As long as cops don't literally kill someone we are going to get, frankly, the same sort of whitewashed coverage we saw covering the genocide itself with many in the media talking about how police showed remarkable restraint.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think the MSNBC gaslighting about "the most peaceful and non-violent application of disbursement ever" coupled with all the deliberate ad hominem attacks via cherry picking, while completely ignoring the violent counter protestors, indicates to me the way this is going to get covered.

As long as cops don't literally kill someone we are going to get, frankly, the same sort of whitewashed coverage we saw covering the genocide itself with many in the media talking about how police showed remarkable restraint.

There were protestors being dragged out while knocked out cold. It's frankly a miracle they didn't accidentally kill someone yet.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
A whole truckload of Democrats have shown themselves to be absolutely terrible re:the protests, but "they" aren't the ones who are "using cops." Columbia has called NYPD over and over again. The only elected Democrat that's probably involved in that action is Eric Adams.
And those truckloads of terrible or silently complicit Democrats alongside the bullying from Republicans amongst a society that already treats Palestinian rights with at best suspicion and more often outright hostility signals a consensus and one-way pressure that all but guarantees that administrators will reach for the lever of State violence to suppress these protestors.

It's the same playbook we saw against BLM. You don't stand firmly behind the protestors instead you at best speak soft support in broad language while much more loudly clutching pearls, standing in silence amidst attempts to delegitimize, or outright echoing right wing language about, for example, the small incidents of violence or anti-semitism, or hyper focusing on calling to defund the police or using language like intifada or anti-Zionism goes way too far and delegitimizes the whole, and just generally spending more time picking apart the protestors instead of supporting them.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
I feel like it's only a matter of time. Especially with provocateurs like this in the media and at the protests.

And they're back with the "boo-hoo Russia exploiting this" crap now:

GMd_zeuX0AAEXsK

To which I can only say:

When the South has trouble with its Negroes—when the Negroes refuse to remain in their "place"—it blames "outside" agitators and "Northern interference." When the nation has trouble with the Northern Negro, it blames the Kremlin. - James Baldwin, 'Nobody Knows My Name,' 1961

Well, and also: fuck them all.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
There were protestors being dragged out while knocked out cold. It's frankly a miracle they didn't accidentally kill someone yet.
Yeah, seeing some of the footage I hope you are right and places like MSNBC can't keep up this charade through the week

The bits I watched genuinely felt like watching the sort of satires of state propaganda you see in movies that is hyper exaggerated to drive home the point….and I specifically went to MSNBc cause I figured they would at least be better on their coverage

zeroOman

Oct 27, 2017
Suggest reading the thread, tl;dr zionist counter-protesters broke UCLA's barricade and started throwing fireworks, stinkbombs, and spraying mace at Student Proteseters. It's been going on for about an hour with the bare minimum security and police interference.

View: https://x.com/mel_buer/status/1785548176482828549

More video

View: https://twitter.com/mel_buer/status/1785560079368130702

View: https://twitter.com/TeresaWatanabe/status/1785575610469007471

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Suggest reading the thread, tl;dr zionist counter-protesters broke UCLA's barricade and started throwing fireworks, stinkbombs, and spraying mace at Student Proteseters. It's been going on for about an hour with the bare minimum security and police interference.

View: https://x.com/mel_buer/status/1785548176482828549

This keeps escalating btw, LA Times is on the ground reporting 200+ counter-protestors assaulting the encampment...

Not just a random twitter account, to be clear: here's her staff writer page.

Edit: This is clearly a huge escalation, does this need a new thread...?

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This keeps escalating btw, LA Times is on the ground reporting 200+ counter-protestors assaulting the encampment...

Not just a random twitter account, to be clear: here's her staff writer page.

Edit: This is clearly a huge escalation, does this need a new thread...?

Yeah, they're not stopping.

View: https://twitter.com/mel_buer/status/1785589355643597034?t=YmIUypX4nOEIZ1ksF0Ny0w&s=19

View: https://x.com/mel_buer/status/1785589989939757164

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The police not doing anything at all to stop the violence from pro-Israel counter protestors says it all.

So much for Biden's anti-violence stance.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Biden has no control over the police but even if he did it was just a PR statement in an election year.

Sure. I wasn't suggesting Biden had direct influence over the police's action, but that his original statement was rather hypocritical considering the counter-protestors and police are the ones instigating violence (not just today, but for the past week too).

All he's done is condemn protestors and call them violent anti-semites right out of the gate. His words, PR statement or not, does have some influence on how these protests are viewed and handled.

And let's not ignore his past actions that enabled this genocide in the first place.

Last edited:

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Last edited:

Karew

Jul 5, 2022
The worst I've seen going around is that they broke a few windows? Nothing compared to this police response.
here's one example of CBS uncritically reporting an alleged hate crime against a Jewish person by a protester:

youtu.be

Yale investigating report of Jewish student assaulted at pro-Palestinian rally

Sahar Tartak, editor-in-chief of the Yale Free Press, said she was assaulted Saturday night while covering pro-Palestinian demonstrations in New Haven, Conne...

here's the video she posted as "evidence":

www.thefp.com

I Was Stabbed in the Eye at Yale

The school has allowed anti-Israel students to run roughshod over their most basic policies. Yesterday, I paid the price for their inaction.

same video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVf_-Tfcz8I

Oct 26, 2017

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Poor Joe Biden just has his hands tied as the police do everything he supports and wants to happen. I hope he'll be okay!

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Biden has no control over the police but even if he did it was just a PR statement in an election year.
Directly no, but this is why so many of us are fucking pissed about him fanning the flames of false narratives about rampant anti semitism because it signals a good/bad narrative that feeds an already established racist dynamic that has since day one sought to delegitimize these protests and ignore the fascistic and violent behavior of the counter protestors.

Just like when cops stood by during BLM protests as fascists acted in violence, this is not by accident and Biden has been complicit in feeding it instead of actively combatting it. So don't dare fucking call him blameless or imply his innocence in this.

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
And those truckloads of terrible or silently complicit Democrats alongside the bullying from Republicans amongst a society that already treats Palestinian rights with at best suspicion and more often outright hostility signals a consensus and one-way pressure that all but guarantees that administrators will reach for the lever of State violence to suppress these protestors.

It's the same playbook we saw against BLM. You don't stand firmly behind the protestors instead you at best speak soft support in broad language while much more loudly clutching pearls, standing in silence amidst attempts to delegitimize, or outright echoing right wing language about, for example, the small incidents of violence or anti-semitism, or hyper focusing on calling to defund the police or using language like intifada or anti-Zionism goes way too far and delegitimizes the whole, and just generally spending more time picking apart the protestors instead of supporting them.
I agree on all of those actors, Dems and Republicans, playing a part in creating (or, in the case of the US, maintaining) a permissive space for extreme crackdowns like the ones we've seen.

I'm merely pointing out vague conspiratorial rhetoric, since the normalization of it leads to some sketchy, not great spaces (as we've seen earlier in this thread).

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I agree on all of those actors, Dems and Republicans, playing a part in creating (or, in the case of the US, maintaining) a permissive space for extreme crackdowns like the ones we've seen.

I'm merely pointing out vague conspiratorial rhetoric, since the normalization of it leads to some sketchy, not great spaces (as we've seen earlier in this thread).
I mean I don't think it is all that conspiratorial to say that at this moment, both parties, writ large, are basically united around supporting state violence to suppress anti genocide protests regarding Israel. Either explicitly or through their silence as collegues around them fan the flames for it.

Where you do see deviation, like with Ilhan Omar, AOC, and Tlaib, they are actively being marginalized and attacked even within their own party.

It's hard not to interpret the dynamic as politically unified. America is failing(once again) some very basic tests about how free it actually is(not that most minorities don't recognize that every day), and in this instant you have rare and fairly broad bipartisan support(or at best tolerance) in using state violence to suppress the peaceful assembly of anti-genocide protestors. Or, as is occurring increasingly frequently, the attempts of counter protestors to terrorize and intimidate protestors.

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I don't think it is all that conspiratorial to say that at this moment, both parties, writ large, are basically united around supporting state violence to suppress anti genocide protests regarding Israel. Either explicitly or through their silence as collegues around them fan the flames for it.

Where you do see deviation, like with Ilhan Omar, AOC, and Tlaib, they are actively being marginalized and attacked even within their own party.

It's hard not to interpret the dynamic as politically unified. America is failing(once again) some very basic tests about how free it actually is(not that most minorities don't recognize that every day), and in this instant you have rare and fairly broad bipartisan support in the matter.
I don't disagree. But I'm sure you can read the post I originally responded to, as well as earlier posts in this thread, and see the sketchy rhetoric I'm referring to.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree. But I'm sure you can read the post I originally responded to, as well as earlier posts in this thread, and see the sketchy rhetoric I'm referring to.

We've got pretzel reading of Biden's statements to find a way to blame him, and also asking why he's not taking over state action and police forces. And then someone acts surprised when a Russian rag gets posted.

It's hard not to interpret the dynamic as politically unified. America is failing(once again) some very basic tests about how free it actually is(not that most minorities don't recognize that every day), and in this instant you have rare and fairly broad bipartisan support(or at best tolerance) in using state violence to suppress the peaceful assembly of anti-genocide protestors. Or, as is occurring increasingly frequently, the attempts of counter protestors to terrorize and intimidate protestors.

AoC isn't marginalized. You don't marginalize someone by making them a face for your party. But they are also House members, the role is very hard to 'stand out in' unless you take a leadership position.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
At some point every level of government is complicit in this. We're talking about a very democratic city in a very democratic state and a democratic white house. There is hardly any push back against the police escalation from anyone on any level.
The police and policy reactions to all of this have been absolutely abhorrent.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
No, not really.

One poster is explicitly referencing the bipartisan support for violence and the other the nature of cops protecting capitalist interests.

Are you implying those two statements are anti-Semitic? What is the allegation you are wanting to hint at and just let linger over those posters?

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
No, not really.

One poster is explicitly referencing the bipartisan support for violence and the other the nature of cops protecting capitalist interests.

Are you implying those two statements are anti-Semitic? What is the allegation you are wanting to hint at and just let linger over those posters?
I don't think the post I quoted is antisemitic. Referring to an unspecified "they" who are in control giving the orders and calling in the cops instead of, you know, Columbia admin and NYPD, is vague, conspiratorial rhetoric though.

When normalized and allowed to flourish that sort of conspiratorial rhetoric very often leads into more specific conspiratorial insinuations about who is "really" in control, which quickly becomes antisemitic. As we saw just a few pages ago, in this thread. Hence me specifying that in this instance we do know who is in control and giving orders, and cautioning against that rabbit hole.

Jan 18, 2018
And they're back with the "boo-hoo Russia exploiting this" crap now:

GMd_zeuX0AAEXsK

To which I can only say:

Well, and also: fuck them all.
Another way of saying
These protesters are not American.

And using certain terms, words to describe the protesters as the villains serve the purpose of preemptively justifying the violence against them.
Politicians know what they're doing when they
A. Stay silent
Or
B. Spew the false narrative of terrorism or antisemitism

These are politicians, they know what they're doing and we always choose when to soften the intent behind their actions when it's the team we like (democrats). "Oh he didn't mean that when he said that.. they have to do this…for the votes…the votes the vote the vote" We treat this shit like fucking football. Hit the goal!
We're so afraid of the future while our future gets beaten on TV right in front of us.people get so concerned with politicians "looking good" and polling well that we don't care if they actually DO well.
And the truth is, the less we hold these ghouls accountable the less it matters what you think or how you feel. They know no matter what you're on their side.
At the end of the day, these people are just as complicit as the folks giving the orders.

At some point every level of government is complicit in this. We're talking about a very democratic city in a very democratic state and a democratic white house. There is hardly any push back against the police escalation from anyone on any level.

Yep

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I wasn't suggesting Biden had direct influence over the police's action, but that his original statement was rather hypocritical considering the counter-protestors and police are the ones instigating violence (not just today, but for the past week too).

All he's done is condemn protestors and call them violent anti-semites right out of the gate. His words, PR statement or not, does have some influence on how these protests are viewed and handled.

And let's not ignore his past actions that enabled this genocide in the first place.

Agreed and he's made his position clear on this issue via a lifetime of actions as you say.

Police are there at the behest of the school administrators. You don't use a hammer if you want a measured response.

Last edited:

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Truly wonder how mainstream media is going to spin pro-Palestinian protestors as being violent agitators when there is an overwhelming amount of documented evidence on Twitter/TikTok showing Zionist freaks at UCLA inflicting harm through the usage of bear spray/pepper spray, fireworks, sticks, etc.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
We live in a fascist police state with a government that is blatantly trampling our constitutional right to freedom of assembly. If they do this to our own citizens just imagine what they will do to people that have very few legal protections if we continue to just lay down and accept this.

But never again right? There are zero glaring warning signs that we are on the precipice of ethnic cleansing in our own country. So it clearly doesn't matter that our government is using force to defend ethnic cleansing in Gaza. Democrats being largely oblivious to the contradiction is not a problem in the slightest.

/sarcasm

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Two university officials as well as a cop threatened us with arrests if we didn't take down our tents + any signage we had displayed at 7 in the morning.

Curious to see if we're going to remobilize or not; the university seems adamant about shutting us down without first listening to our demands, but we simply do not have the numbers to pressure them otherwise.

Last edited:

BrucCLea13k87

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God. You people are insufferably dumb. Biden fucked this whole thing up for the start. And yeah. As the fucking president he has a lot of say in how people react to these protests.

View: https://x.com/zeynep/status/1785514162682052846

People need to stop defending old men who are complicit in genocide and mass murder.

I'm not defending Biden, jackass. I'm saying that he has no say in police work. That's a state power. If it were the national guard, then it'd be a different story. You are insufferably dumb because you don't realize the difference between state and federal powers. Go read the Constitution.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
All these protest are happening because of Biden's murderous foreign policy. His whiteknights can't tone police or try and spin for him all fucking day everything occurring right now is ALL on him. There is no defense for him in any regard.