• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Greetings all. Looking for thoughts on this situation as I have not encountered this before. I'll try to summarize the circumstances as briefly and concisely as possible.

3/3: recruiter reaches out on a position they recently posted, says that I fit their profile. I review the posting and agree that I would be a good fit.

3/4: I submit my application through their portal.

3/11: "Teams" interview with VP of HR, which I feel went well.

3/14: "Teams" interview with SVP of Operations(my prospective boss). I feel this went well. Told to expect another interview in a few weeks time.

4/1: On-site, in person interview with SVP of Ops, CFO and CEO. Brief on-site lunch with SVP of Ops. Tour of facility. I feel this went well. At the end of this I was told to expect a relatively quick response on next steps.

4/4: sent thank you note to the VP of HR, asking her to pass along my thanks to the rest of the group.

4/11: after not hearing back, I asked the VP of HR if there was anything she could share. She responded and said I should hear back from the SVP of Ops by end of week(4/15).

4/18: I hear back from the SVP of Ops, he would like to meet for lunch tomorrow, which I accepted.

What should I expect here? If they aren't going to make me an offer, why waste more of my time? But an offer could also be made over the phone? This just seems odd to me, and outside of normal protocol. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this happen before so it's not completely out of protocol and it's usually a good sign.

Like Skittles posted above, they're more than likely just trying to make sure that you can handle normal, non-work interactions to some standard of normalcy.

It's bullshit but part of the process at some bigger firms.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I've never encountered anything like it either but this may be the company's way of doing a personality/behavioral interview? Instead of sending you a survey/asking you scenarios, they may be trying to get a feel for you in person.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
They'd not bother if it was a no. So it's a yes but that could be a good yes and everything you want or a yes but you need to accept less money or whatever.

I guess over lunch they can also gauge you in a different setting.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
My previous company used to invite candidates out for lunch. Like the above poster said, want to make sure folks are complete weirdos IRL/are easy to casually talk to.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
This is strange to me especially after you've already interviewed on site but good luck on the job for sure. Don't hold your knife with your fist etc lol

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They wouldn't invite you to lunch if they're not interested in hiring you.

I'd go into this expecting it to be another interview of sorts.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Most likely deciding between you and one other final candidate. Hence the longer-than-expected delay between "you'll hear from us shortly!" and then them going dark.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
To echo what others have said, it's just to suss you out as a person and not just technical abilities. Been there.

Don't yell at waiters, order something regular and show decent table manners.

mogget

Nov 7, 2017
Sounds normal to me. I've been on both sides of the recruiting meals. They wouldn't take you to lunch if they didn't like you; it's more "personality/fit" now than anything else. You're playing defense at this point - which is a good thing!

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this happen for director level positions in the past. They just want a non formal chat and to offer you the position.

OP
OP
Furiousone

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
I should mention- the 4/1 interview 3 hours and in-person (met with HR, SVP, CFO and CEO,) so I feel they know that I'm not a wackadoo at this point, lol.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
4/18: I hear back from the SVP of Ops, he would like to meet for lunch tomorrow, which I accepted
One thing I could envision here is that after getting to know you and your skillset they have another opportunity in mind and they want to run it by you in a friendly setting.

Whatever the case may be, make sure to negotiate a good package and get your bag.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
preview.jpg

Later that day:

OP's Inbox:
Thank you for your interest in our company

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
SVPs don't normally have time to have lunch with people they're not interested in hiring.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
its a long con where the VP looks at you deep into your eyes when the bill comes, most people will eventually just pick up the tab and he gets a free lunch. The bastard!

but yeah its just a final shakedown, lot of people older (im older) like to do a final gut check in person and make sure this is a person they can get along with

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a small or family owned company? Its exhausting these days going through 2-3 interviews but having to meet for lunch as well? Just hire me already and get it over with.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wanted to see if you'd be capable of accepting the lunch offer without first making a resetera topic about it...unfortunately, here we are, so I regret to inform you we've gone in a different direction OP

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
After a month of job-dating, I think it's time for them to open their wallet and show you their fat, juicy offer. Or something.

Don't worry about it and don't overthink it.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Without knowing more about the position, just based on who you said you interviewed with; they might want to have a chat with you without the pressures of a formal interview. I've been on the hiring side, and it has been useful, especially at the very end of the process. They might either be ready to give you an offer, or they're deciding between you and someone else.

My advice is to not think too much about it. If you got to that point, you're obviously qualified and they like you

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
They're trying to make sure you're not a weirdo in real life

Just this...enjoy the lunch. I guess they could be weirdos too but in my experience, this has been indicative of leadership who prioritizes good communication. Could it be wielded in an exploitative manner? Of course! But at this level, I'm sure you know how to manage up.

Nov 19, 2019
I've encountered situations where the opinions of the hiring decisions makers are mixed, so they'll have a senior person do a close review and act as tiebreaker.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't invite you to lunch if they're not interested in hiring you.

I'd go into this expecting it to be another interview of sorts.

Riot Games invited me to lunch after an interview in 2010 and I was such a weirdo that I didn't get the position

Lesson: Don't be a weirdo 😃

Dec 19, 2021
If something goes wrong with your order or service assume it is part of the interview and be polite about any mistakes. It is a depressingly common test at lunch/dinner interviews.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I don't think you have anything to worry about, OP. Sounds like they just want to see what you're like in that setting.

I think the bigger issue is that your interview process has been so drawn out, but I guess that's expected in some industries. I have been shocked at how long the interview processes have been in my search for mid-tier job in my industry thus far.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They might be trying to sell you a timeshare. No such thing as a free lunch.

For real though, a hiring process that takes over a month seems ridiculous to me.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think it's probably an offer too, in a setting that could throw you off a little and make you reluctant to counter. Show up knowing exactly what you want

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably just a culture fit type thing to make sure you're not weird as others have said. At my current job (which I started before the pandemic), the last stage of my interview was a 5hr onsite that included lunch at a restaurant with the hiring managers.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It's gonna be one of those weird things where they know the waiter and they will purposely get your food wrong, to see if you can handle it.

Tldr; if you send back the burger because it has tomatoes on it you'll lose the job.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you're being recruited to their Black Ops division.

The pay's good, but I don't know if I could handle the stress. I'm not about that life. But the decision's up to you, OP. You think you got the goods for that kind of action? Just remember, if your cover gets blown, you'll be disavowed. Flying without a safety net, always on the razor's edge...

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You should definitely show up in your favorite anime shirt and be prepared to defend to the death why that anime is better written than anything they have heard of. It is the way.

Seriously though, they're probably wanting to make you an offer. But if not, don't burn the bridge at this point.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to tell you this OP, but you'll have to defeat them in a Pokemon battle if you want in.