• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
"In all my years of veganism, the exercise, dieting, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your fatty greasy giant cheeseburgers, I'm going to enjoy it. Very very much."
"Titan was like most planets, too many cheeseburgers, too much to go around. And when we faced obesity I offed a solution."
"Nutrition."
"But random, dispassionate to meat and veggie alike. They called me a madman. And what I predicted came to pass."

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
My child is about to eat a cheese bugah, do I:

A. Raise my voice to warn them, thus damaging their psyche for the rest of their life?

B. Don't raise my voice but allow them to eat it, thus damaging their body for the rest of their life?
Damn man, wish I could answer but I haven't read Catcher in the Rye or To Kill a Mockingbird, mind waiting eleven years so I can school myself and reply to this?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My child is about to eat a cheese bugah, do I:

A. Raise my voice to warn them, thus damaging their psyche for the rest of their life?

B. Don't raise my voice but allow them to eat it, thus damaging their body for the rest of their life?

The hardest choices require the strongest wills.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Ya know I would understand OP's point if Morgan specified a trash-ass burger place like Burger King...but she trusts Happy's taste in burgers well enough to let him pick. She was prolly thinking Five Guys if we're being honest.

Oct 28, 2017
"Titan was like most planets, too many cheeseburgers, too much to go around. And when we faced obesity I offed a solution."
"Nutrition."
"But random, dispassionate to meat and veggie alike. They called me a madman. And what I predicted came to pass."

grimos189k3c.jpg

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's not promoting unhealthy eating or childhood obesity in any way. To say so would be calling for banning all unhealthy foods - even just mentions - from popular media no matter the context.
Right but what I'm saying is that many are overreacting like the OP is some weirdo when really he's just someone concerned with obesity and "mildly concerned" about a normalized depiction of seeking processed food for comfort. It's totally reasonable to disagree with the OP, but some, like the one who questioned his ability to be a good parent, are reacting too strongly.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I know what it's like to lose weight. To feel so desperately that you're hungry, yet to fail to eat nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. I ask you, to what end? Dread it. Run from it. Burgers arrive all the same. And now, they're here. Or should I say, I am.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
"Your dad used to love cheeseburgers too. That's
why he's fuckin' dead,
let's get you a salad, kiddo."

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Right but what I'm saying is that many are overreacting like the OP is some weirdo when really he's just someone concerned with obesity and "mildly concerned" about a normalized depiction of seeking processed food for comfort. It's totally reasonable to disagree with the OP, but some, like the one who questioned his ability to be a good parent, are reacting too strongly.

If OP wanted a good faith discussion about junk food in popular media (I have my doubts) then they shouldn't have started with a wholly inappropriate example. The use of Endgame is just to bait people. They just name a generic 'burger' in the movie anyways, and not all burgers are processed junk food.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
OP's is gonna fuck around and make junk food so taboo that his kids can't resist it. These type of food based prohibitions don't work for kids.
Marvel-Superheroes-Cookbook.jpg

iguanadolphin

Nov 2, 2017
Good thing the Marvel movies teaches the kids to be active. Go run, jump, swing, lift a heavy hammer. Play outside kids.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
If OP wanted a good faith discussion about junk food in popular media (I have my doubts) then they shouldn't have started with a wholly inappropriate example. The use of Endgame is just to bait people. They just name a generic 'burger' in the movie anyways, and not all burgers are processed junk food.
Nah, the OP's reaction to that Endgame scene was his legitimate reaction from what I see in the other thread. To him it *was* an appropriate example. Most (myself included) don't interpret it the same way, but the most that should garner is disagreement, not a mean-spirited pile-on (not saying that's what you did in particular).

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was going to be about how a peak human killing machine like Black Widow would eat a plain ass peanut butter sandwich for dinner.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the OP's reaction to that Endgame scene was his legitimate reaction from what I see in the other thread.

You sure about that?

That's a very good counter-argument. In the fullness of time it doesn't matter. As a matter of record, I did edit the Wikipedia article about Shawarma to remove references to Avengers, but only because the sourcing was really poor. Attempts to link this obscure reference to Middle Eastern street food (which in turn were derived from a statement by Nicholas Brendan after an audition attended by Joss Whedon in the course of casting for the televised version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) to some worldwide renaissance of food from the Eastern Mediterranean were not successful.

So yay me! Arguably I single-handedly wiped out a trend towards Middle Eastern fast food. Or maybe I'm just saying we should be more careful about the dietary choices we depict for grieving small children in popular media.

Shawarma isn't unhealthy. Fucking hell.

I thought this was going to be about how a peak human killing machine like Black Widow would eat a plain ass peanut butter sandwich for dinner.

Wasn't it on white bread too? The horror.

Oct 28, 2017
Arguably, the MCU does promote unhealthy habits, but it has more to do with perfectly chiseled beefcakes they throw up on screen than an innocuous scene about a child and their hamburgers.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very good counter-argument. In the fullness of time it doesn't matter. As a matter of record, I did edit the Wikipedia article about Shawarma to remove references to Avengers, but only because the sourcing was really poor. Attempts to link this obscure reference to Middle Eastern street food (which in turn were derived from a statement by Nicholas Brendan after an audition attended by Joss Whedon in the course of casting for the televised version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) to some worldwide renaissance of food from the Eastern Mediterranean were not successful.

So yay me! Arguably I single-handedly wiped out a trend towards Middle Eastern fast food. Or maybe I'm just saying we should be more careful about the dietary choices we depict for grieving small children in popular media.

I'm sorry what

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Yea Marvel is really adding to the obesity problem.

It would be really believable for Stark to ask for a spring salad when he was free, instead of indulging in something delicious.

The obesity problem stems from a lot of things, but child obesity is upto the parents to control. Kids are only getting food from their parents/guardians.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Parents use unhealthy food to bond and/or comfort all the time.

And that's not bad per se. Chocolate bars belong into the once a day food group not never ever. If the child does not over eat on it that's ok. (E.g. one treat when you pick up your child.) surely, not ideal, but to keep sweets away from your child per se is unhealthy too.

Now to get back to over eating on unhealthy stuff. There are situations in which parents are just glad their children eat anything. Traumatic situations such as losing parents or serious illnesses count as those. Obesity is a problem, a normal weighting child refusing to eat and becoming underweight would be as much of a problem, although not as common.

Furthermore a mither who just lost her partner might not give a fuck, and there are situations in which this is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.