• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Looks great.
I really though it was a new bayonetta the first seconds lol

I will follow Yoko Taros command.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Murder can absolutely be uncomfortable and embarrassing. I hate watching footage of TLoU2 for example and would tbh prefer less murder games in general even if there are some I like. Moreover I think the difference is that by and large the murder in games is fictional, often stylistically presented, and not usually directed at any specific creed or ethnic group. I think if other trailers yesterday focused on, say, murdering partivular minorities and put that front and center I would have been equally repulsed and embarrassed (case in point, some of the backlash towards Resident Evil 5).

In the case of sexualization it's because while these depictions are fictional, fiction has a subconscious and understated impact in how we regard reality around us. In contrast to murder (in most of the world), it's much easier to be a sexist than it is to commit homicide. And sexualized/objectified character designs are almost always female, and when taken in a broader cultural context of sexual harassment and assault, especially in the video game industry, just feel extremely tone-deaf and icky in 2021.

To each their own, I guess, as I get older I find myself becoming less and less comfortable with grisley depiction of realistically rendered humans being murdered for the sake of fun gameplay, and I gravitate more towards less realistic violence in games (such as side scrollers or games based on ridiculous action vs. monsters or zombies).

We all look out our own windows. I used this point before, but I'm an illustrator and I know a lot of illustrators/cosplayers who frequently find it fun to either design or dress up as sexualized characters -- some of these people female, (meanwhile the overwhelming majority of people in this thread dictating what is okay for a female character design to be like are male) so I guess from my perspective I view all of this as kind of normal and victimless. I agree the Eden character is a cringy design, but I'm not willing to take it to the dramatic extremes that some in the thread are when complaining about it.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be cautiously interested in this game based on the gameplay, but the character design is such obvious nerd-bait that I'm skipping it on principle alone.

Can we please let our female leads wear clothes? Just some real pants, for once. Please.
Only if the clothes are skin tight like those plug suits from evangelion. And have the jiggle physics from dead or alive. Otherwise you're a sexist prude who relishes in ultra violence.

/s

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this character design existing because it doesn't seem to be the norm anymore. There's a market for it and I can choose to not support it. I'm surprised Sony lead with it, though.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Murder can absolutely be uncomfortable and embarrassing. I hate watching footage of TLoU2 for example and would tbh prefer less murder games in general even if there are some I like. Moreover I think the difference is that by and large the murder in games is fictional, often stylistically presented, and not usually directed at any specific creed or ethnic group. I think if other trailers yesterday focused on, say, murdering partivular minorities and put that front and center I would have been equally repulsed and embarrassed (case in point, some of the backlash towards Resident Evil 5).

In the case of sexualization it's because while these depictions are fictional, fiction has a subconscious and understated impact in how we regard reality around us. In contrast to murder (in most of the world), it's much easier to be a sexist than it is to commit homicide. And sexualized/objectified character designs are almost always female, and when taken in a broader cultural context of sexual harassment and assault, especially in the video game industry, just feel extremely tone-deaf and icky in 2021.
bingo. Though I do believe who you responding to already understands but is just playing the devils advocate to be a troll.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on staying away from the shitshow this thread has devolved into, but...
..... sigh I guess I'm going to give you an example of how you can dehumanize people through fictional game characters.

NOTE: PLEASE KNOW IM DOING THIS OUTRAGEOUS EXAMPLE TO SET A FUCKING POINT.

Imagine I have a game with a zoo, and we get to monkeys and gorillas/etc and put black people in the cages and have nothing said about it.
"BUT BUT ITS A FICTIONAL GAME, THEYRE NOT REAL!!!!!". Shut the fuck up and know that implications effect real world people and are fucking bad in general.
... A sexualized depiction of a character is somehow equivalent to someone comparing black people to monkies?

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own, I guess, as I get older I find myself becoming less and less comfortable with grisley depiction of realistically rendered humans being murdered for the sake of fun gameplay, and I gravitate more towards less realistic violence in games (such as side scrollers or games based on ridiculous action vs. monsters or zombies).

We all look out our own windows. I used this point before, but I'm an illustrator and I know a lot of illustrators/cosplayers who frequently find it fun to either design or dress up as sexualized characters -- some of these people female, (meanwhile the overwhelming majority of people in this thread dictating what is okay for a female character design to be like are male) so I guess from my perspective I view all of this as kind of normal and victimless. I agree the Eden character is a cringy design, but I'm not willing to take it to the dramatic extremes that some in the thread are when complaining about it.
Do you not see how damaging sexualization of women can be at a society level?

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on staying away from the shitshow this thread has devolved into, but...

... A sexualized depiction of a character is equivalent to someone comparing black people to monkies?
I'm making the point that just because it's fictional means jack shit. I had to use extreme racism to go against the "It's just a video game" to prove the point that a game could dehunanize someone playing the game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm making the point that just because it's fictional means jack shit. I had to use extreme racism to go against the "It's just a video game" to prove a fucking point.
"Had to"? I have no idea why whenever people want to make their extreme points around here, they see to having black people be their go-to in their examples.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
9eFqvCl.gif

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why whenever people want to make their extreme points around here, they see to having black people be their go-to in their examples.
Because some people are too stupid to understand anything else and might be able to grasp a comparison to racism. I don't see why you're too stuck up on this point. The object was to show dehumanization in games can have an effect.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Gameplay and soundtracks seems to be on point.

Lacks visual identity and charm though, but if the OST and gameplay delivers I'll give it a go regardless.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Because some people are too stupid to understand anything else and might be able to grasp racism. I don't see why you're too stuck up on this point.
You really don't see why someone might take issue with your example on a personal level, or your choice to be dismissive of it as being "stuck up" on it?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i am torn between appreciation for what looks like really fun combat and kickass music and disdain for the character designs and male gaze camera work of the trailer

this thread though. dump it straight into the trash
The trailer was a bit gratuitous, butt I'm gonna wait until I play the finished product and give it some ample thought before slapping it with my stamp of disapproval. Who knows, she could end up being a well-rounded character.

Or maybe the developers really are just behind the curve.
🙄

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Except that I'm not? I think you've spent too much time in an echo chamber and should talk to more people.
I mean, we have tons of threads about sexual assault/harassment on this very forum, on the front page. How sexual images change how we perceive the opposite sex. If you talk to anyone in person about experiences with sexual assault and sexual harassment in your community or neighborhood I bet you can get tons of information about how people feel emboldened to degrade women based on their experiences. Talk to your cosplayers about their experience with creeps in the community fam.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
We all look out our own windows. I used this point before, but I'm an illustrator and I know a lot of illustrators/cosplayers who frequently find it fun to either design or dress up as sexualized characters -- some of these people female, so I guess from my perspective I view all of this as kind of normal and victimless. I agree the Eden character is a cringy design, but I'm not willing to take it to the dramatic extremes that some in the thread are when complaining about it.

The problem doesn't necessarily lie with individuals creating or cosplay with sexualised characters. There's fan-art or sexualisation of characters who weren't sexualised in the first place. However, it's not abnormal to see pushback towards sexualised designs, considering there's an expectation or skewed view created as you've constantly been exposed to such designs. We've seen more than often that women are sexualised and there are numerous examples to be found as to how problematic that can be.
E.g. What's the purpose of quiet having the design she has in mgs5, other than the plot reason given in that game given as justification. Lady and Trish in DMC5 aren't as sexualised as the main characters, why is there no equivalency in that regard?
Looking at the volume of sexualised female characters there are much more characters like MC and even the person at the end of the trailer than male characters, especially in this subgenre. Show me how many character-action games don't have a sexualised design like the characters in this game.

This character is just one of them and you can agree that there's no necessity for this character to be as sexualised as she is now, right? Whether that's only in design but also framing, via camera/jiggle etc.
It doesn't seem out of place to see some criticism or pushback towards such designs as sexualised women are more than often normalised rather than being abnormal. Also, there's a difference between a sexy character and a sexualised character also, for which the latter applies to this character imo.

Idk, perhaps someone will articulate better of what I'm trying to say.

There's also no direct correlation between the violence on display and the design of the character.

anyway, I like character-action games, the combat looks cool, but the design is off-putting.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Oversexualization aside(why does it have to be so boringly sexy).
I'm really happy about all these ambitious east asian games releasing right now.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't see why someone might take issue with your example on a personal level, or your choice to be dismissive of it?
I was directly talking to another person and used a note saying it was a fucking outrageous example. That person I was talking to didn't see how fictional game characters affected real people. I used a stupid outrageously racist thing to prove that yes you can dehumanize someone in a fictional setting.

What's the actual problem. That I referenced that racism still exists with America and its a fucking travesty or that I used a black person as racism instead of some other minority to explain to a dumb poster that didn't understand that dehumanization does exist in a game.
Explain the problem to me please.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This character is just one of them and you can agree that there's no necessity for this character to be as sexualised as she is now, right? Whether that's only in design but also framing, via camera/jiggle etc.

I agree, I would prefer the camera were less lecherous and the design less cringy. That's not how I do things in my game. However, I do at times find sexy character designs fun (either gender, anyone) so I'm not automatically offended by this in theory. I just find this a bit too much for my own tastes as it prevents me from taking the rest of the game seriously (not sure if it's asking to be taken seriously, I guess..).

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Everything needs to be mom approved, or it's shameful apparently.

There's difference between making something sexual and objectifying a character.

And in fact, gamers tend to hate when something sexual, but not for their pleasure is done (see a certain TLOU II scene).

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

FWIW I think there is a big difference in agency between a cosplayer wanting to dress up in a skimpy outfit and a fictional character designed to pander to a particular target demographic. The latter has no agency beyond what the designer grants her or allows her to do -- because her appearance isn't something she can control, while the former at some level is acting of their own accord. Which isn't to say that the latter can't also be objectifying, but the video game character is quite literally an object, which I think is maybe why people react more extremely to the depiction rather than what cosplayers etc. do with it.

Also I don't think people are saying what a female character design can and cannot be, just expressing their disappointment with what it is currently. For myself, personally, its much more about the spotlight sony has shone on this in light of recent events (e.g. at Actiblizz and otherwise). These kinds of games featuring these sorts of designs will always exist and I don't think there should be legislation or anything against them existing (if only because of all the slippery slopes you would end up introducing), but I think the criticism and response is important to both help keep the broader issues in mind while playing (and possibly even enjoying!) the game, as well as hopefully create things with broader and less problematic appeals in the future.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oversexualization aside(why does it have to be so boringly sexy).
I'm really happy about all these ambitious east asian games releasing right now.
I think that's what gets me. At least Bayonetta has a fun gimmick and the character's personality is great. 2B design is sexualized but I see the appeal and even like it myself. This just feels like a mixture of both but the result is really generic.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Is this type of talk really necessary?

When it's against the same old shit and sexism and base dismissals of said sexism then yeah. It's the same song and dance and I'm sick of it. It's disgusting and ridiculous.

Also they got permabanned. For previously also dismissing concerns about -underage- sexualization so I think I'm ok.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I think there is a big difference in agency between a cosplayer wanting to dress up in a skimpy outfit and a fictional character designed to pander to a particular target demographic. The latter has no agency beyond what the designer grants her or allows her to do -- because her appearance isn't something she can control, while the former at some level is acting of their own accord. Which isn't to say that the latter can't also be objectifying, but the video game character is quite literally an object, which I think is maybe why people react more extremely to the depiction rather than what cosplayers etc. do with it.

Also I don't think people are saying what a female character design can and cannot be, just expressing their disappointment with what it is currently. For myself, personally, its much more about the spotlight sony has shone on this in light of recent events (e.g. at Actiblizz and otherwise). These kinds of games featuring these sorts of designs will always exist and I don't think there should be legislation or anything against them existing (if only because of all the slippery slopes you would end up introducing), but I think the criticism and response is important to both help keep the broader issues in mind as well as hopefully create things with broader and less problematic appeals in the future.

I guess my point was that there are a variety of people who enjoy this type of thing, and especially in the art/concept art world it's very common for female artists to also enjoy drawing and designing very sexualized female designs. A lot of the criticisms I see are overly reductive. In any case, I see it as a taste thing. If it's not for you, it's not for you, and leave it at that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. Fictional characters have no agency aside from what they're given by their writers and art designers. A real-world cosplayer can do whatever she wants with her body, including making a sexy costume based on an existing design and then adjusting it to be less male-gazey. It's her choice how she presents herself to the world.

Meanwhile this character, and so many others like her, is designed by a committee of people to appeal specifically to a subset of male game and anime fans. She has no agency, she has no choice, she's simply stuck wearing whatever the art designers think is maximum sexy, similar to how A2 in Nier Automata lives in a post-apocalyptic world but somehow has not found a single pair of pants in the ruins of humanity? Who the hell is A2's butt constantly being on display for? It's not like she's a sexual being herself.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer was a bit gratuitous, butt I'm gonna wait until I play the finished product and give it some ample thought before slapping it with my stamp of disapproval. Who knows, she could end up being a well-rounded character.

Or maybe the developers really are just behind the curve.
Incredible!

This thread is something else lol. Game looks sick and I'm interested to see more updates in the future.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
If the character has even tenth of the charisma bayonetta has that would be fine, but how it played straight is just ... lol.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I fucking love it when I can see the soft curvature of a female character's labia. There's nothing cringe about that at all.

Dandte

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 month): Sexism. Trolling. Antagonizing another member. Account in junior phase.
I would be cautiously interested in this game based on the gameplay, but the character design is such obvious nerd-bait that I'm skipping it on principle alone.

Can we please let our female leads wear clothes? Just some real pants, for once. Please.

a718ee9fc011ac681dafd24b424b0519.jpg
Project-EVE-247370.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
All of you will be ashamed of your words and deeds
*game releases, female character is portrayed way worse than anybody would have thought previously*
Ah, well. Nevertheless...

Oct 28, 2017
Looks great.
I really though it was a new bayonetta the first seconds lol

I will follow Yoko Taros command.
wait wow wow wow hold up. Yoko Taro?

In any case, I agree that the male gaziness of game camera and the character design are a disservice to the otherwise awesome art direction. Main character looks like a random NPC from a Korean MMO or something. So vanilla.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, I would prefer the camera were less lecherous and the design less cringy. That's not how I do things in my game. However, I do at times find sexy character designs fun (either gender, anyone) so I'm not automatically offended by this in theory. I just find this a bit too much for my own tastes as it prevents me from taking the rest of the game seriously (not sure if it's asking to be taken seriously, I guess..).

Yea, but there's a subtlety to that and Atom made that point already so I'm not going to add more on that.

I'm not offended, but I'm rather disappointed 😅

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
User banned (1 month): Sexist trolling
I want to read more about how fictional characters have no agency and how the character should wear real pants from superhero fans with a skin-tight full body suit wearing character as their avatar, I haven't had enough yet.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
wait wow wow wow hold up. Yoko Taro?

In any case, I agree that the male gaziness of game camera and the character design are a disservice to the otherwise awesome art direction. Main character looks like a random NPC from a Korean MMO or something. So vanilla.

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1436113252241469462

He just writes "Buy" lol

But yeah it was not the positive aspects of bayonetta that I saw in the first few seconds.
However I'm a sucker for this type of world and combat.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I guess my point was that there are a variety of people who enjoy this type of thing, and especially in the art/concept art world it's very common for female artists to also enjoy drawing and designing very sexualized female designs. A lot of the criticisms I see are overly reductive. In any case, I see it as a taste thing. If it's not for you, it's not for you, and leave it at that.

Lots of people enjoy things that are harmful to certain communities, that doesn't mean that concerns raised by said community should be dismissed as 'a taste thing'.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
The character model is a complete turnoff for me. We're still doing skin-tight outfits and tons of blatant ass shots in 2021? C'mon.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I take it back. Looking at the trailer again now that I'm not half asleep, the character design is nowhere near as good as I initially thought it was. Still like the colour palette of it, but there's skintight and then there's that. And the gratuitous genital shots are, of course, a bit much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I want to read more about how fictional characters have no agency and how the character should wear real pants from superhero fans with a skin-tight full body suit wearing character as their avatar, I haven't had enough yet.

If you truly can't see the difference between Rogue's design and what these developers are doing with their character and the constant crotch, chest and ass shots, that's on you.