• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
So disappointed with this release.

Tried a 10 lap race from day to night and from dry to light rain.

Race is going well; I'm having a good battle with 19 AI, the day-night transition is fantastic as is the overall performance (game is super optimised in the dry; less so in the wet but better than rF2). The last lap and the rain comes...car refuses to drive like it's driving on ice. AI have no such isses. So from a tie to first to last place in 16 corners.

Utter shite.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit yesterday and I see that some issues still weren't fixed since the earliest versions. Like when you pause the game and resume it with another button then that button is pressed in the game itself. I resume with X and have gear up assigned to that button and always end up upshifting. Or the AI still seems unaffected by the changes in weather. Hopefully I'll find at least a few hours to play this today, I still plan on going from the lowest to the highest tier in the career mode. :)

Oct 27, 2017
From the Xbox Store:

Project CARS 2 Spirit of Le Mans Pack DLC

Race to glory at Le Mans past and present with the Project CARS 2 "Spirit of Le Mans" Pack. Fight the Battle of the Titans driving for Ferrari and Porsche on a painstakingly and faithfully recreated Le Sarthe Circuit as it was in the movie "Le Mans". Race the V12 Ferrari 512 S and 512 M, and flat-12 Porsche 917 LH and relive the greatest sportscar era in history. Then fast-forward to now and fight for victory with four of today's high-tech endurance heroes―the Toyota TS050 Hybrid, the Porsche 919 Hybrid, and two of Audi's all-dominant racers, the high-grip Audi R18 (Fuji 2016) and high-speed Audi R18 (Le Mans 2016). Yesterday and today's heroes, on the legendary Classic Circuit de la Sarthe: this is the "Spirit of Le Mans".

Release date is the 5th of June.

Good on SMS for including both high-downforce and low-drag variants of a modern LMP1; it's something I've been waiting for after they went through the effort of modeling similar aero packages for the Group C machines.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
tenor.gif

That's a pretty loose definition of "8 cars".

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see that guys at SMS haven't removed all controversial weather choices from the career mode. The Ginetta Junior championship still ends in the snow (and apparently German GT3 series also has it). Or adding rain to the Lotus Vintage invitational event was also a horrible idea (I think I moaned about this as well when I was my playing on my friend's copy after the launch xD). The old Lotus cars are difficult to drive even in dry conditions, but on the wet cold track they become impossible to control when the tires inevitably get cold after a few laps.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I see that guys at SMS haven't removed all controversial weather choices from the career mode. The Ginetta Junior championship still ends in the snow (and apparently German GT3 series also has it). Or adding rain to the Lotus Vintage invitational event was also a horrible idea (I think I moaned about this as well when I was my playing on my friend's copy after the launch xD). The old Lotus cars are difficult to drive even in dry conditions, but on the wet cold track they become impossible to control when the tires inevitably get cold after a few laps.
It's thoughtless nonsensical shit like this that crosses my mind as I reach for the 'buy' button.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
SMS have to show off their weather effects as much as possible & it's a good thing the tyres magically change when the weather does*!

*In my experience, this feature may or may not work all the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's thoughtless nonsensical shit like this that crosses my mind as I reach for the 'buy' button.

I've spent next to no time in the career mode in this game thanks to shit like that. Custom races are the only way to go.

Maybe that's why I've had a better time than most when playing this game. Full control, leave nothing to chance.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I don't have too much time in PC2, but the time I have had has been nothing but fun. Do other sims feel better here and there? Of course, but there's nothing like a afternoon to night race with a full multiclass field at the Nord. So much fun.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SMS have to show off their weather effects as much as possible & it's a good thing the tyres magically change when the weather does*!

*In my experience, this feature may or may not work all the time.
Uh, what? I haven't noticed any automatic tyre changes. Afaik it was a feature only in Forza 7 and Turn 10 received a ton of shit from more hardcore players for implementing it.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, what? I haven't noticed any automatic tyre changes. Afaik it was a feature only in Forza 7 and Turn 10 received a ton of shit from more hardcore players for implementing it.
Is there not an option for tyres 'automatic by weather'? In my experience it seldom works when the dry turns to wet and the AI sail past like Senna in the European GP.

Of course I could have worded my post a little better; I have the flu & feel like shite. Rereading my post it does not read as well as I'd have liked.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there not an option for tyres 'automatic by weather'? In my experience it seldom works when the dry turns to wet and the AI sail past like Senna in the European GP.

Of course I could have worded my post a little better; I have the flu & feel like shite. Rereading my post it does not read as well as I'd have liked.

The auto by weather option works in a way that if it's raining then you will start on rain tires. It also works in a way that if you start on dry tires and you pit in when it starts raining the pit crew will switch your tires to wet ones without you needing to explicitly tell them to do so.

AI being uneffected by wet weather (as far as grip levels are concerned) in certain circumstances is a whole different issue however.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
And therein lies the rub with auto by weather.

I start a 10 lap race with rain due at the end of the race, I select tyres by 'auto by weather'. I watch as the rain comes on lap 9 & I crawl around the track and the AI drive like it's still dry. No pitstops by the AI either.

It's safe to presume the sim would know what tyres to select and/or request a pitstop if slicks are being used (rain tyres in the dry won't last long); alas it seems either the wrong tyres are selected or the AI aren't affected by the rain as the AI clear off without issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And therein lies the rub.

Start a 10 lap race with rain due at the end, select tyre 'auto by weather' and watch as the rain comes & you crawl around the track and the AI speed around like it's still dry. It's safe to presume the sim would know what tyres to select but alas it seems either the wrong tyres are selected or the AI aren't affected by the rain.

The way around this:
  • Manually select your tire compound at the start of the race
  • Set your pit stop up so that you get put on wets when you pit
  • The important bit - add a mandatory pit stop in the race setup options
This way the AI will pit in when it starts raining to change to wet tires (as they should) and you will always have the tires you need for the circumstances.

If you set short races up where it progresses from dry to wet (to the other way round) then the AI are unlikely to pit for some reason and the whole "AI with magic grip" issue manifests itself. I think it's down to the fact that the AI will only pit once their tires get worn unless you force them to.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And therein lies the rub.

Start a 10 lap race with rain due at the end, select tyre 'auto by weather' and watch as the rain comes & you crawl around the track and the AI speed around like it's still dry. It's safe to presume the sim would know what tyres to select but alas it seems either the wrong tyres are selected or the AI aren't affected by the rain.

It's the latter, like GHG said in some situations the AI is unaffected by the changing conditions. Setting the tyres manually before the race wouldn't change anything, the 'automatic by weather' option is just there for comfort so you don't forget to put the right tyres at the beginning of the race or while pitting.

• The important bit - add a mandatory pit stop in the race setup options

This option isn't available in the main career mode, right?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Ha! I got caught out editing my last few posts for clarity.

Either way gents this a large oversight by SMS and one I'd like to see rectified.

The electronic manual makes no mention of ensuring a mandatory pitstop be selected by the player to ensure the AI are unaffected by rain.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This option isn't available in the main career mode, right?

Not unless it's part of the default series settings for whatever you're racing at the time. Hence I've stayed well away from the career mode in this game, if not I think I'd hate it.

Ha! I got caught out editing my last few posts for clarity.

Either way gents this a large oversight by SMS and one I'd like to see rectified.

The electronic manual makes no mention of ensuring a mandatory pitstop be selected by the player to ensure the AI are unaffected by rain.

Of course not, this is an SMS game and stuff like this was only figured out by the community finding ways around the bugs :)

Let me put it this way, rF2 AI this is not and it's unlikely to ever be that way, I don't think they care enough to properly fix stuff like this (or something is so fucked in the way they coded the AI that they can't). So it's a case of use the workarounds and take it for what it is or be frustrated.

We have been screaming at them since launch (*cough* and before launch *cough*) to fix this issue and it went from them insisting there was no problem to now acknowledging it but not actually fixing it.

This game is so close to being almost perfect but issues like this and the lack of a single player custom championship option really hold it back.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly, for me at least, I was really disappointed with the ffb and odd swaying some cars were displaying...i think it may have been the Jake Spade ffb file I used.

I deleted the custom ffb and went back to raw, problem solved! The ffb isn't 100% to my liking but it's good enough.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not, this is an SMS game and stuff like this was only figured out by the community finding ways around the bugs :)

Let me put it this way, rF2 AI this is not and it's unlikely to ever be that way, I don't think they care enough to properly fix stuff like this (or something is so fucked in the way they coded the AI that they can't). So it's a case of use the workarounds and take it for what it is or be frustrated.

We have been screaming at them since launch (*cough* and before launch *cough*) to fix this issue and it went from them insisting there was no problem to now acknowledging it but not actually fixing it.

This game is so close to being almost perfect but issues like this and the lack of a single player custom championship option really hold it back.
The bold bit really pisses me off as we all want an SMS release that mirrors that of the halcyon Blimey! and SimBin days. It is the same story for Sector 3 who are still trying to recapture their former glory; at least SMS have a few hit releases under their belts.

Car BoP aside, GTR 2 released in 2006 with nearly all of the features pCARS 2 has (sans VR) with very few of the issues pCARS and prior SMS releases have been derided for. I'm sure people will state games are far more complex nowadays etc; I'd argue they were also pretty damn advanced back in 2006 given what GTR 2 can do, even when using & working with the limitations of isimotor.

Can it really be that hard for a dev team to make a modern sim that rivals releases that are 12 years old?

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I have to say, when everything clicks on this game, it is bloody good.

I'm in the middle of a six hour offline simulation of the Daytona 24 Hours in an LMP2 car. I've just passed the car over to the AI for a stint so I can have lunch.

The sun is setting and we're in the lead and it all feels so immersive and authentic and I can't wait to get back in the car and take over again and this is where this game and racing generally is just so damn fun.

EDIT: *sigh*

EDIT 2: *siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
You can add the invitational Sugo night race in the GT86 Rocket car where it rains..and the car has no rain tyre option.

Oct 27, 2017
Patch 6.0 (~3.9 GB) and the 'Spirit of Le Mans' DLC are up on Xbox, including the previously unannounced Porsche 924 GTP and 961.

It was a pleasant surprise to see the trio of hybrid LMP1s in their own class, (no more Mareks and RWDs, huzzah!), and complete with KERS that can be manually deployed; I was worried that they'd get lumped in with the 2014-spec machines and their automatic KERS. I'm looking forward to giving them a good thrash later on.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Latest PC build 1.6.0.0 is live & it's a 1GB download :)

Update infor from Nathan Bell:

Various improvements, fixes and optimisations.

Fixed occasional stability issues.
Improved usability of in-game tools.
Improved AI ability at various tracks.
Improved the penalty system.
Optimised tyre wear in wet conditions.
Optimisations to LiveTrack at various tracks.
Improved track-limit zones.
Other miscellaneous fixes.

As I mentioned previously, we will no longer be releasing fix-by-fix patch notes. I can't fully go into detail why, but just know that it's much more efficient for us internally this way, so this is how it will be going forward. We hope you guys enjoy the new update. Happy racing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had a quick play on the PC version, the DLC isn't live yet despite the patch.

Only change I notice in a quick couple of laps around Le Mans was the fact that my performance seemed to be marginally improved in wet weather and the fact that the OSD colours are amore vibrant now.

On another note I tried out the demo on the PS4 version to see how it compares to the PC versions since I know everyone said it was different and... my god it was horrible. It's like a completely different game. The FFB using the same wheel with the same in game FFB settings and it's nowhere near the same. What a shame for those who have no alternative but to play it on console :(

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK

Only change I notice in a quick couple of laps around Le Mans was the fact that my performance seemed to be marginally improved in wet weather and the fact that the OSD colours are amore vibrant now.

On another note I tried out the demo on the PS4 version to see how it compares to the PC versions since I know everyone said it was different and... my god it was horrible. It's like a completely different game. The FFB using the same wheel with the same in game FFB settings and it's nowhere near the same. What a shame for those who have no alternative but to play it on console :(
I'm just glad I can play a decent racing sim at all.

PC racing sims have such a ridiculously high barrier of entry that it's just not worth it for people like me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just glad I can play a decent racing sim at all.

PC racing sims have such a ridiculously high barrier of entry that it's just not worth it for people like me.

Those were just my impressions of the demo, the full game might well be different, I guess it's just whatever you're used to so it was quite jarring for me!

Anyway, DLC trailer:

It unlocks midnight whatever your time zone is. I think it's already unlocked for New Zealand.

Oct 29, 2017
I keep trying to get into this game on PS4 but the AI issues keep frustrating me (crashing into you or not recognizing that you exist mostly) but does anyone have any good settings for the Logitech G29? They feel alright out of the box but any improvements would be welcome.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe next time, try not to come across so patronising to us console players?

Don't take it the wrong way, it's more a fault of SMS rather than the platform(s). They are the ones who decided to outsource critical parts of porting development for the console versions and cheap out on console Q&A. When I said it's a great shame I actually meant it, I was part of WMD during the development for the game.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Don't take it the wrong way, it's more a fault of SMS rather than the platform(s). They are the ones who decided to outsource critical parts of porting development for the console versions and cheap out on console Q&A. When I said it's a great shame I actually meant it, I was part of WMD during the development for the game.
I didn't read the original post as patronising either.

I tried pcars on the Xbox One and was shocked how it both looked and played. Not a fault of the console as FM and FH both look pretty solid to me.

Point taken on the cost of PC gaming; it is a steep entry price but the lower cost of games make it comparable to a console in the longer term.

QA across the board for SMS is a major letdown for players irrespective of platform.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Yes I found it a big disappointment. Things like weather not affecting AI are fundamental to the experience and should be a day one fix, not something we're still waiting on.

I was a backer of the first game. Made some money on that too. But I'm disappointed with quite a few aspects of the second game and doubt I will buy the third.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Your post makes me wonder how different the Xbox version is from the PC version in terms of FFB. The PC version of Forza 7 supports (one at least) high frequency direct drive wheel and it should be the same driver as the Xbox. Maybe PS4 FFB implementation is more or less legacy (LAGacy) crap from PS3 times.

Maybe next time, try not to come across so patronising to us console players?
He was only talking about the FFB, if you're playing with a controller he can't have been patronising to you and... in general it came off as a "it's sad that the devs and Sony can't get stuff right that works on PC and has nothing to do with the performance of the consoles". Which is something they both should get called out for, absolutely.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Your post makes me wonder how different the Xbox version is from the PC version in terms of FFB. The PC version of Forza 7 supports (one at least) high frequency direct drive wheel and it should be the same driver as the Xbox. Maybe PS4 FFB implementation is more or less legacy (LAGacy) crap from PS3 times.

He was only talking about the FFB, if you're playing with a controller he can't have been patronising to you and... in general it came off as a "it's sad that the devs and Sony can't get stuff right that works on PC and has nothing to do with the performance of the consoles". Which is something they both should get called out for, absolutely.

Interestingly enough, by all accounts the FFB on the PC version of Forza 7 is superior to the FFB on the xbox version. No idea how things stand on the xbox version of this game though.

The DLC still hasn't released on steam for whatever reason...

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Interestingly enough, by all accounts the FFB on the PC version of Forza 7 is superior to the FFB on the xbox version. No idea how things stand on the xbox version of this game though.

The DLC still hasn't released on steam for whatever reason...
A typical time is 7pm local... so in ~90 minutes. I know they said midnight, but give it another 90 minutes.
Had not tried FM7 on Xbox myself yet. FH3 felt different, but I think it had some more sliders on PC in the beginning when I tested both. Wouldn't say, it was a big difference (admittedly, BOTH were FAR from great, could be the differance would be more noticable in FM7 which is much better, still not actually good, but better).

Also, about the EIGHT CARS and then they only mention 7 cars in the Text. The missing car in the text is this here:
ss_726e4beeb23443a24c6bba603e13ceee7485f98c.600x338.jpg

Which is totally awesome for me. My dad had a 924 and two 944s when I was little and I made the physics for an AC mod of the 944 Turbo S road car.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
And with the dlc out...thoughts?

I have watched a few videos and the track and cars look good. I have seen several videos of people passing AI the grass...which is interesting at 370+ km/h and the WR times are 20 seconds faster than the actual lap record.

The game is is sale on Steam; no discount on the season pass or seperate dlc.

Oct 29, 2017
So Ive come to the conclusion that I just cant play this game. Its a completely insufferable experience. The physics model is great but everything surrounding it is dogshit; the biggest offender being the AI. God, the fucking AI combined with the bullshit penalty system is just too much. How did this past testing? I was giving the game another go last night, I was on a staging lap and one of the other cars rear ends me twice (I didnt brake check him or anything like that) and *I* got the penalty for it...Get. Fucked. Not to mention the AI still swerves like fuckin drunkards leaving the local pub when you get close or make any kind of semi aggressive move.

I want to love this game so bad but I just cant. They fucked this whole deal up and fucked it up bad. I guess its back to GT Sport for me.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Ive come to the conclusion that I just cant play this game. Its a completely insufferable experience. The physics model is great but everything surrounding it is dogshit; the biggest offender being the AI. God, the fucking AI combined with the bullshit penalty system is just too much. How did this past testing? I was giving the game another go last night, I was on a staging lap and one of the other cars rear ends me twice (I didnt brake check him or anything like that) and *I* got the penalty for it...Get. Fucked. Not to mention the AI still swerves like fuckin drunkards leaving the local pub when you get close or make any kind of semi aggressive move.

I want to love this game so bad but I just cant. They fucked this whole deal up and fucked it up bad. I guess its back to GT Sport for me.
Do you have the opponent aggression at default? You can change it on a 0-100 scale, I found it to be aggressive with the default settings, dropped it a bit and now it's better (still not perfect though).

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying how the achievements (trophies in my case) are still bugged. I got the My Popular trophy after completing 12 or 13 invitational events instead of 10, now Cream of the Crop trophy (Won all Factory Drive events for 3 manufacturers) won't unlock despite fulfilling its requirements. :/

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
PC Version!

pCARS 2 patch 1.7.0.0 notes:

Fixed various stability issues
Improved usability of in-game tools
Improved AI ability at various tracks
Improved the penalty system
Improved pit stops and repair logic
WMR headset support now enabled
Various other minor issues

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
PC Version!

pCARS 2 patch 1.7.0.0 notes:

Fixed various stability issues
Improved usability of in-game tools
Improved AI ability at various tracks
Improved the penalty system
Improved pit stops and repair logic
WMR headset support now enabled
Various other minor issues
Any BoP changes? GT3 is relatively balanced but the McLaren is still not where it was before it got unfairly nerfed.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
First I wanted to mention that Team VVV has redisgned their website, it looks great but has very few members so far. They'll also continue their podcast soon. So, maybe check that out.

Now, is anyone interested to talk about one single piece of new content from the DLC (or even not from the DLC would be fine)?