pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Anyone got good tips for getting a solid 60FPS at 4K on PC? I'm holding mostly steady at 60 with my 3080, but still get occasional drops to 50 in weird places (the bathroom in the apartment, for example). Picked this up on Steam based on all the rave reviews around here.
I get 120fps (locked) at 4k with my 3080, not sure what's going on there for you. What's your CPU?

829-D881-F-0167-4-D01-884-F-22-BB9-E477-E7-B.jpg

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Haha, that's a good way to look at it.
Yeah, lately I've been leaning towards waiting a few months postlaunch with some games in hopes that they get ironed out before my first play-through. This is especially true with open world titles.
Loading saves is even faster than that. Which is huge for a game like Prey. Now Quick Save/Quick Load actually work as intended. You can freely experiment abd reload without suffering 45+ second waits.
I can't remember but I'm sure you're right. I still need to check this out, didn't get the time last night.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Your patience bore fruit in the end. Now you get to experience the best possible console version.

With all the back and forth required in this game, I can see that, lol.

PS5 doesn't load as fast when it comes to backwards compatible titles. There's work to be done in this department.
Oh, boo :(
Mooncrash is on the list regardless, but hope they can make improvements there across the board.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Oh, boo :(
Mooncrash is on the list regardless, but hope they can make improvements there across the board.
It would be great if they did. Still, it's better than PS4 Pro so that's a plus I guess.
I got a screen about a goo cannon, but I don't actually have it, did I miss it?
Did you pick it up? It should be in your inventory. If it isn't, go to the security area where you first encounter a lot of gloo.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
is this supposed to be this difficult at start,
does it get any easier later.
i pretty much deplete whatever ammo i have with the foam gun thing loose half my health just to kill one of those phantom things.
and see 3 more of them down the hall.
(those spider like things are so mobile and annoying too.)
should i stealth my way around?
playing on normal btw.

Nov 8, 2017
i pretty much deplete whatever ammo i have with the foam gun thing loose half my health just to kill one of those phantom things.
playing on normal btw.

Yes you should stealth where possible to conserve ammo. You will eventually get better at resource management, although I don't think I ever was in a situation like you're describing where I was fully dry. That could just be my experience with these types of games.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I just started playing this recently on PC and finished it the other day
I really liked how they made you feel like all your choices were seen by the game, even some which I was surprised they vocalized like me not killing any mind controlled people. It made it feel like the sidequests weren't side quests at all, and TBH I was only really motivated to do them because O wanted to help the characters, so it really worked and made the ending pretty impactful

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a much better time here compared to my first ps4 playthrough. Even if the fps boost was the initial draw, the massively improved input latency and load times do wonders for this game on consoles.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
playing on normal btw.

Yeah the beginning is supposed to be tough while you're weak. Don't feel the need to kill everything on sight (especially Phantoms) so early as enemies can respawn after you leave the area :)

What are these psi hydro things for? Can I not use them yet?

They restore your "mana", which some abilities use.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
playing on normal btw.

Early game is hard, even on normal. Things open up later when you've found and upgraded more weapons, and unlocked more skills. Combining skills and weapons is key to defeating enemies. You can't really just rely on one thing at a time and certain enemies are weaker to certain combos.

As a hint: stuff is usually located in places you would expect to find them were Talos I real, and...

...there is a fairly powerful weapon in one such room off the main lobby. The trick is getting in there, but you don't need a keycard to do it. In conjunction with the GLOO Cannon, it'll make Phantoms easier though you still shouldn't take them head on till you're less squishy.

Till then, I'd avoid fighting Phantoms. Enemies eventually respawn, though in my experience, it seems to be tied to story progression.

Use your GLOO cannon and wrench on Mimics to minimise ammo use. Don't forget that holding the attack button releases a more powerful strike. You can one-shot Mimics like that.

Also: Carry a turret with you. They may not kill bigger enemies outright, but they will help keep the focus off you. I used to carry two turrets to every new room, set them up outside, and if I got in trouble I'd lead the enemies to them. Pain in the arse, sure, but it helped immensely, especially with unexpected swarms of Mimics. It's probably why it took me 20 hours to get to the Crew Quarters 😂

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
thanks folks, good tips.
also realised my initial issue was, i went for an optional task thing right at the start. and it put me at a pretty impossible place.
going with the main quest first was much better.
still will play this like amnesia games for a while.
enemies are pain in the ass for sure.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I started my New Game + save last night. Wow, 60fps feels great with this game. Could be a little sharper, but that would likely need a patch, rather than BC magic.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any reason why i dont see an option to fabricate medkids?

Also, do i have to go to my inventory every time to take a medkit? or can i equip it to like the dpad?

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like I've got a shitload of chipset slots for my suit, but no chips. Is that something that comes super late in the game? I'm a few hours in.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
So it looks like I've got a shitload of chipset slots for my suit, but no chips. Is that something that comes super late in the game? I'm a few hours in.

You should find some early. I doubt you have the neuro mods yet to unlock more slots. You will find plenty of chipsets later in the game.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see if Xbox/Bethesda puts out some sort of release next week about how many people have played some of these games. Prey in particular seems to be having a full-on renaissance, I've seen a TON of talk about it on Twitter and on podcasts recently of people saying they're playing it for the first time.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Love, love this game but it ran like poo on my base PS4 when I initially played it.

Unfortunately I don't have an X but how does it run on PS5?? Any players?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
cool, any way to fabricate medkids or to improve my armor? its at 0 right now lol

all the fabrication machines make different things?

No, you pick up various fabrication plans as you go.

You can improve stats with neuromods (basically skill points) and chipsets (perks) which you'll find as you explore. These are pretty rare early game though.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
cool, any way to fabricate medkids or to improve my armor? its at 0 right now lol

all the fabrication machines make different things?

You have to find a medkit blueprint first. All the fabrication machines will make the same stuff, whatever blueprints you have.

You might be able to find a droid machine where you can call out a droid to fix your health/suit/psych. I forget what they are called but they refill your stuff for free as many times you want.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You have to find a medkit blueprint first. All the fabrication machines will make the same stuff, whatever blueprints you have.

You might be able to find a droid machine where you can call out a droid to fix your health/suit/psych. I forget what they are called but they refill your stuff for free however many times you want.
hmmm interesting, are blueprints just laying around randomly?

also it seems to use medkits you have to hold Y + RT, which I could put it to up on dpad, i dont really use the flashlight lol

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I also have a bunch of psi hypo, but i dont think i can do anything with them yet. Do I need to get something or just a matter of getting farther in the game? I just got the keycard from dr calvino outside the space station, that is where i am at

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
I also have a bunch of psi hypo, but i dont think i can do anything with them yet. Do I need to get something or just a matter of getting farther in the game? I just got the keycard from dr calvino outside the space station, that is where i am at
Psi hypos are basically mana potions, you get a psi bar when you unlock certain neuromods that require psi to cast. You can hold on to a stack for later.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone noticed an oddity when playing at 60fps on a Series X/S where your turning speed is different looking left vs right?

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I just recently started playing this game again and I'm loving the System Shock 2 feel.

I have a question about enemy spawning. Do they mimics in an area continually spawn the longer you hang around and explore? I feel like mimics keep popping up out of thin air when I'm hanging around in an area reading all the emails etc.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I just recently started playing this game again and I'm loving the System Shock 2 feel.

I have a question about enemy spawning. Do they mimics in an area continually spawn the longer you hang around and explore? I feel like mimics keep popping up out of thin air when I'm hanging around in an area reading all the emails etc.

I'm not 100% sure but I think enemies mostly only respawn (in different, tougher configurations) when you pass certain checkpoints in the story. Mimics may seem to be spawning because they tend to wander around levels and are easy to miss at first glance.

The actual spawning happens when you transition between areas so it's totally possible to clear out an area and make it "safe" so long as you don't leave. (With one large exception)

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that a game released in 2017 is getting an OT of sorts here shows the beauty and marriage of things like fps boost and game pass. Keeping legacy software fresh so that the game doesn't feel like a relic of the past and presenting the game to people who probably never gave it a chance back in 2017. As clichéd as it is to say on St. Patrick's Day, Microsoft find gold with this going forward.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Just tested too and is fine for me. Though I did notice that putting the sensitivity on zero (to test) is still quick enough for me. Anything over 30 or so is unplayable to me.
Thanks for the reply.
I checked again last night and there is definitely something weird going on with my game...turning to the left is noticeably faster than turning to the right.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Thanks for the reply.
I checked again last night and there is definitely something weird going on with my game...turning to the left is noticeably faster than turning to the right.
I noticed in Dishonored, with FPS boost, that something odd was happening with aim acceleration. If I looked left and then quickly right it sped up a lot, as if it wasn't resetting the acceleration curve between movements.

God knows why aiming sensitivity/speed/curve hasn't been standardised by now.