Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
A lot of people were surprised when I last posted this, so reposting for this thread:

•The average household in the bottom quintile of America's economic ladder will see its annual income rise by more than 20 percent.

• A family of four with one working parent and one unemployed one will have $12,460 more in government benefits to help them make ends meet.

• The poorest single mothers in America will receive at least $3,000 more per child in government support, along with $1,400 for themselves and additional funds for nutritional assistance and rental aid.

• Child poverty in the U.S. will drop by half.

• More than 1 million unionized workers who were poised to lose their pensions will now receive 100 percent of their promised retirement benefits for at least the next 30 years.

• America's Indigenous communities will receive $31.2 billion in aid, the largest investment the federal government has ever made in the country's Native people.

• Black farmers will receive $5 billion in recompense for a century of discrimination and dispossession, a miniature reparation that will have huge consequences for individual African-American agriculturalists, many of whom will escape from debt and retain their land as a direct result of the legislation.

• The large majority of Americans who earn less than $75,000 as individuals or less than $150,000 as couples will receive a $1,400 stimulus check for themselves and another for each child or adult dependent in their care.

• America's child-care centers will not go into bankruptcy en masse, thanks to a $39 billion investment in the nation's care infrastructure.

• Virtually all states and municipalities in America will exit the pandemic in better fiscal health than pre-COVID, which is to say a great many layoffs of public employees and cutbacks in public services will be averted.

• No one in the United States will have to devote more than 8.5 percent of their income to paying for health insurance for at least the next two years, while ACA plans will become premium-free for a large number of low-income workers.

• America's unemployed will not see their federal benefits lapse this weekend and will have an extra $300 to spend every week through the first week in September.

The study that determined child poverty would be cut in half was based on a package that included the minimum wage hike. Combined with the fact that the child benefit is only ensured for a year, the point of child poverty is being greatly exaggerated.

It's a good bill, but it ought to not be the only bill because Americans need a lot more help.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
How does the tax forgiveness on unemployment work? If someone was unemployed for most of last year 2020 they paid taxes on the UI money they received.

if taxes have already been filed and money was paid on the UI taxes how is that money taken back after the fact?
An amended return. I'm hoping they just make a webportal tho lol it's possible

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
giphy.gif

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
How do I amend my tax returns and should I do it now since the bill has been signed into law? I'm not sure how to do this lol

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The study that determined child poverty would be cut in half was based on a package that included the minimum wage hike. Combined with the fact that the child benefit is only ensured for a year, the point of child poverty is being greatly exaggerated.

Different studies, different authors but child poverty still gets halfed. And yes it's for a year but we all know entitlements are difficult to withdraw, and Republicans couldn't even pass the ACA repeal even after campaigning on it for years and years.

t.co

2021 Poverty Projections: Assessing Four American Rescue Plan Policies

Four key elements of the American Rescue Plan Act would reduce the projected poverty rate for 2021 by more than one-third.

Summit

Banned
Mar 1, 2021
Different studies, different authors but child poverty still gets halfed. And yes it's for a year but we all know entitlements are difficult to withdraw, and Republicans couldn't even pass the ACA repeal even after campaigning on it for years and years.

t.co

2021 Poverty Projections: Assessing Four American Rescue Plan Policies

Four key elements of the American Rescue Plan Act would reduce the projected poverty rate for 2021 by more than one-third.
That's good news. I hope it pans out as suggested and lasts a lot longer than a year.

Oct 25, 2017
I am just saying, they owe you $2K after this next round...unless they already gave you the $600.
I mean more what they got "for me", if that makes sense. The past two checks they got the full amount + 1 child (I have a younger brother), this is the first time they'll get anything on my behalf and I'm gonna pocket it lol.

Adult dependents can get the full $2000 with the recovery rebate credit on their 2020 returns.

It's possible the first $1200 is too but I'm not certain on that yet.
I filed through Turbotax like a month ago and I was not eligible for that as far as I could tell, though I have to amend my taxes anyway because I collected unemployment which is now tax exempt up to about $10k so I'll see how that works out in a few weeks.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of waiting he signed it sooner to get people relief faster. THIS is a president people!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I mean more what they got "for me", if that makes sense. The past two checks they got the full amount + 1 child (I have a younger brother), this is the first time they'll get anything on my behalf and I'm gonna pocket it lol.

I filed through Turbotax like a month ago and I was not eligible for that as far as I could tell, though I have to amend my taxes anyway because I collected unemployment which is now tax exempt up to about $10k so I'll see how that works out in a few weeks.
Yeah, the bill just passed lol You're eligible now with an amendment. There will be an option then.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Lots of weird Democrat defense going on in here, with folks talking about technicalities and obscure legislative details. Y'all need to come around on the fact that NONE OF THAT SHIT matters to the average voter, and this entire process has been horrible optics for the Democratic Party.
Embarrassing take my guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Politically it's a fucking whopper too. Zero republican support. Republicans voted against helping americans in a pandemic, votes against families, votes against jobs, voted against vaccine support, voted against helping schools reopen safely, voted against cutting childhood poverty, voted against cutting black childhood poverty by 60%.
That's what's blowing me away, what's the play for Republicans on this? This should've been an easy yes

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's what's blowing me away, what's the play for Republicans on this? This should've been an easy yes

Id say about 70% of the Republican caucus is just trying to be obstructionist. Vote no, no matter what to try to do what they did to Obama and sink Democratic chances of holding the House or Senate come 2022 by slowing the recovery. This worked in 2009-2011 and beyond to a degree. Republicans supported bipartisan financial stimulus and recovery when Bush was president, and then universally opposed it when Obama was, but Democrats got it passed because they had a 59 seat Democratic Majority. The economic recovery from the recession was slower than previous recoveries, mostly because of GOP obstruction, partly because of Democratic hesitance to really open the bellows on the fire and get it roaring ('penny wise and pound foolish').

And then like 20% actually think that with a $1.9t spending bill with the economy already recovering then it might lead to inflation and extended high unemployment. Like unemployment benefits continue into October or w/e, and so that'll keep the unemployment rate higher than it would be if people are forced to go back to work or find a worse job than they had before the recession. So... Let'ss ay the economy is really improving by June, but unemployment could still be 8% because for some people the $300/week stipend plus their states unemployment benefit might be better for them than going back to work, risking their health, and maybe being paid the same or less... so the number might be higher than it would be otherwise. There's some small risk that the spending could lead to raising inflation, so the fed will have to raise interest rates to control it, and demand on Housing from the pandemic (nobody is leaving single family houses right now, we're at a historic low for volume), and high unemployment could make a risky economic situation. I think this is the traditional conservative argument against government spending in terms of economic results ... Personally I think it's wrong and the economy is probably going to be better in ~2022-2023 than it was in 2019, and DEmocrats are going to say -- This is us, we own this historic economy, and Republicans unanimously voted against it.

I think it's a risk for those ~20% (say the Mitt Romneys, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowskis who supported a smaller bill -- $600-$900b) in the GOP.

And then you have 10% of the Republican caucus who is sniffing glue, laying prostrate at the golden calf of Trump, and I can't understand how the fuck they work.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This was good but Dems need to push this was all the work of Senate Democrats. If the news or people say "The Senate pass x" then you are giving credit to those other evil bastards. No they didn't help at all, vote them out and Vote Democrat.

They better not play the "ill play nice and hold back" Obama card. Biden and cufrent dems need to remind everyone what happened here.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dude is getting things done. Major wow.

Under promise, over deliver - now thats a nice change

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
called up my tax lady as soon as it passed, I had already handed off all my paperwork last week but made sure she'll account for not being taxed on unemployment.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to confirm bc a friend asked, where is this in the bill? can't seem to find any sites parroting this.
Mentioned here:
www.cnet.com

Are you old enough to receive a stimulus check? What it takes to qualify as an adult

Are you eligible to get your own stimulus check, contribute to your family's overall amount or get no money at all? We'll tell you how the eligibility rules for the third stimulus payment apply to you.

Everyone's situation is different, but we can help explain what it means for you -- whether you're a student, living on your own and are employed, if you're in the military, if you receive SSI or SSDI, if you're married or a parent, or if you're in a child-support situation. And while tax season is here, we'll help explain how some young adults could get the original stimulus payment of up to $1,200, as well as the second stimulus payment of up to $600.

Links didn't show up, but they're on that page with more info.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This was good but Dems need to push this was all the work of Senate Democrats. If the news or people say "The Senate pass x" then you are giving credit to those other evil bastards. No they didn't help at all, vote them out and Vote Democrat.

They better not play the "ill play nice and hold back" Obama card. Biden and cufrent dems need to remind everyone what happened here.

That's what they're doing apparently, skip to 2:40

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm not getting the check, but I appreciate all the other stuff in the bill that will make the lives of many Americans in need better, or at the very least less awful. Good job to Joe and the dems who got it done.

Oct 25, 2017
"lmao 2022 is gonna be a bloodbath!".

I swear there was a memo going around because i saw that nonsense way too much.

There's a huge online bubble where the default reaction is some combination of anger and misery, and it is hard to push through how/why a lot of takes are wrong. Huge chunks don't know what reconciliation is or isn't, so didn't realize that it was capped to $1.9T, and so then thought that any slight shift in any part of policy was a reduction in the overall amount, which it really isn't-- it was proposed as $1.9T, and ended at $1.9T. And if people don't know what reconciliation is, they think it is a total free for all where anything goes, so there's all kinds new votes to get livid about even though they wouldn't actually translate to actionable government policy.

Like, y'all, reconciliation being what it is is how/why Republicans ended up with the most modest repeal of Obamacare possible (defanging the tax incentives). If they could repeal the whole thing with 50 votes, they would, but they couldn't, so they could just go after the tax incentives/penalties which fit the tax/spend rules for the process.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My wife filed our taxes a month ago. We already got our state refund and our federal refund is currently pending.

I'm guessing we won't have to worry about these checks until next year's taxes?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
this deserves to be seen:

Manchin is almost always on board. I take it they solidified him going forward in backdoor talks before this bill passed. He's still going to play his will he/won't he game that everyone laughably falls for of course.

Glad to see some movement but this is probably already the will he of the won't he. Expect him to backtrack again. Then again!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

It's a good bill, but it ought to not be the only bill because Americans need a lot more help.
https://www.urban.org/research/publ...-assessing-four-american-rescue-plan-policies

The "child poverty cut in half" figure is true with or without the minimum wage increase. The child allowance is temporary for now, like you said, but Democrats have also committed to making it permanent. I wouldn't be shocked to see a permanent extension included in the infrastructure bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.