• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people are unaware of how diverse crocodilians were at one point.
default-1464360350-98-galloping-crocodiles-ate-dinosaurs-in-north-africa.jpg

Some of them could possibly run you down like lion. ...Some things, I'm glad are extinct.

Pretty sure that's from Monster Hunter.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Most of these are so hideous. Their extinction was obviously some kind of divine retribution.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Reminder that we had all kinds of amazing animals roaming around all 5 continents until about 12.000 years ago when humanity wiped them out.

Mammoths, Giant Sloths, Sabre Tooth Cats, Whooly Rhinos, gigantic deer, Cave Lions, Cave Bears, American Cheetahs, European Hyenas and forest Elephants. Tiny hippos on some islands in the Mediterranean, all kinds of cool birds etc.
Giant lizards and marsupial lions in Australia.

This planet was once flourishing with animal and especially mammal life.

And most of what's still left today is not going to survive this century. Let that sink in for a moment.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
TIL : Modern animals existed in the past, and they were enormous ! Far from the kid-sized ones we have today.
So, even evolution is capable of downsizing huh.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Eryops

1280px-Eryops_-_National_Museum_of_Natural_History_-_IMG_1974.JPG

A big fat 10ft long salamander with needle teeth around it's maw and 3 pairs of backwards facing fangs on the roof of it's mouth.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It always impressed me that the only instance in pop culture of a giant sloth (and other awesome extinct animals) is the Ice Age movies

TIL : Modern animals existed in the past, and they were enormous ! Far from the kid-sized ones we have today.

Every few centuries nature releases a lite version

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
There's tons of weird shit in the Pliocene era, some of it in this thread already, that I always feel has something uncanny about it, in that they're often recognisably related to modern animals but are gigantic, strangely proportioned or are now dangerous predators with extra horns and teeth. I wish someone would get creative with it instead of more dinosaurs, cool as they are.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Quetzalcoatlus was just built to terrorize people in films and Jurassic World is still using Pteranodon, which was the equivalent of a large duck.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Titanaboa, although there have been movies with similar ideas like Anaconda, but those weren't big enough.

Titanoboa.jpg

1449_titanoboa_vlad_konstantinov.jpg

Gorgonops is cool looking too. IMO

monster-gorgonops.jpg

30699157483_bb27b3d355_c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
So you are actively trying to give a brother nightmares? I don't even like little birds and you go and post giraffe size monster's.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
This is probably my favorite thread. About every 6 months or so, I go down a Wikipedia rabbit hole looking through all the megafauna entries.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Threads making me wish Primeval was still around and hadn't gone shit.

The BBC used to have this show called walking with dinosaurs and then they made one called walking with monsters Which was about mammals and stuff post dinosaur apocalypse. Which was way cooler cus I didn't know half the things on that had even existed and some were real uncanny freaky looking in comparison to their mdoern descendants.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well then where the fuck is Dunkleosteus? It was a predatory fish around as long as a great white shark, except its head was covered in armor, and instead of teeth it had sharp bone plates. Its skull alone is the stuff of nightmares. Yet has this badass ever appeared in a movie?

Dunkleosteus_%2815677042802%29.jpg

dunkleosteus-fig4b-Ferron-Martinez-Perez-Botella-2017.jpg

I'll...I'll be in my bunk
--
48897.jpg

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Couple dinosaurs I like:
GqPSFwg.jpg

Majungasaurus--basically a big sausage with legs.

Q6FiIQX.jpg

Therizinosaurus
--big fat plant eating feathered dinosaur with big Freddy Krueger claws.

deinocheirus.jpg

Deinocheirus
--T.Rex sized relative of Gallimimus with a duck like bill and a hump or sail of some sort on its back.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think a turtle the size of a goddamn car would be more exciting to film makers. Only example of an Archelon I can remember in media was "Chased by Sea Monsters", which also had Dunkleosteus. But I feel like that doesn't really count.

800px-Archelon_skeleton.jpg

EDIT: Oh wait, it also had a Pokemon.

1200px-565Carracosta.png
if in new haven one day ; definitely head to the Peabody and see this specimen(the photographed one!) with your own eyes; one of the coolest things about being around this uni edit; lol this has to be a poke go spot right?

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks for posting all the pictures! I don't actively look for these so it's really cool seeing these animals.

I got to say that the first posts pictures are kind of creepy, especially the first one where they're using all four limbs. I don't know why I feel that way.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Not evolution, humanity. Wherever we went we wiped out the megafauna in a few thousand years. The only ones to survive are in the ocean or Africa, where they learnt to deal with our shit.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Cause those things are awesome and terrifying!

Jurassic World is a cookie-cutter, kids movie on dinosaurs. I'd love a "real" sci-fi version of Jurassic Park but I doubt it would be good. I'm probably going to use those for an RPG of mine though!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Prehistoric animals are cool af.
This generation sucks.

Our era has the largest animal that ever lived, so that's pretty cool.
Also, if you want to include animals that are now extinct but were alive at the same time as humans, there's a lot of cool shit. New Zealand had a species of eagle that was big enough to, and probably did on occasion, carry away human children.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad when you think about how many species existed and died long before we ever did and also so many that existed and we killed them. Fuck humans man.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Prehistoric animals are fucking awesome.
If animals were pokemon then our modern animals would be the first in evolution line

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Pretty much any unique critter that existed after dinosaurs but before humans probably qualifies.

Of those not mentioned yet ITT...
darwin-enigma.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Macrauchenia. Literally just a Star Wars alien with ears.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
invertebrates in general, prehistoric or modern, get unfairly treated in media. I want to see more sympathetic depictions of arthropods and other creepy crawlies in media!

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
It's really sad when you think about how many species existed and died long before we ever did and also so many that existed and we killed them. Fuck humans man.

Would you rather be the apex predator or have some other animal occupy that position?

I'm choosing the former, our inability to sustainably use resources is what's at issue here.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Armadillosuchus was a crocodilian playing an armadillo :
hqdefault.jpg

Yi Qi was a Dinosaur playing a Wyvern

220px-Yi_qi_restoration.jpg

Gigatoraptor was an Oviraptor playing a T.rex sized chicken.
Gigantoraptor_BW.jpg

Halszkaraptor was a dromaeosaur ("raptor" dinosaur) playing a duck

Halszkaraptor_Lukas_Panzarin_horizontal_11-1024x679.jpg

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
There's so much diversity in prehistoric animals that it's really unfair how much of a focus dinosaurs are, even if they are cool as shit, and how limited the "dinosaur pantheon" actually is anyway.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Small herbivorous dinosaurs are in general not given their due.

Heterodontosaurus_restoration.jpg

Heterodontosaurus--small, angry looking herbivorous dinosaur with big fangs.

leaellynasaura_by_prehistorybyliam_dd3m7ow-fullview.jpg

Leaellynasaura
--the feathers (both their presence and extent) are pretty speculative here, but it did live in Australia when Australia was in the Antarctic circle, so even though it wasn't as cold as it was today, it would have seen some very, very long nights. Also had a really, really long tail in comparison to its body size.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Its absolutely insane to me that these things once walked the planet we live on. Unfathomable really.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Favorite prehistoric mammal:

D1e0Je-U4AAEFaC.jpg

Ambulocetus--which means "walking whale," though it was probably fully aquatic. Early whale that still retained a lot of anatomy of their land walking ancestors, was likely a crocodile like ambush predator.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Also, who can forget Megalania: a kaiju sized relative to Komodo Dragons and monitor lizards:
megalania-78ad95d7-cc76-4c93-9f41-dd994130b15-resize-750.jpeg

Entelodonts (also known as "Terminator Pigs") were relatives to modern day boars and peccaries that reached taller than 6 feet at the shoulder

daeodon.jpg

Pelagornis is the largest flying bird ever discovered, clocking in with a wingspan of over 24 feet

pls_471_p054_image_oiseau.jpg

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
There's a recently discovered icthyosaur that's blue whale sized or possibly even larger.
slomze88q6c21.jpg