• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Rey's name will get retconned in the next 10 years?

• Yes

Votes: 134 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 322 64.3%
  • It will happen, but in more than 10 years.

Votes: 45 9.0%

• Total voters

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
The ending was weird because people are like 'why isn't Kylo Ren there?' was he like only half redeemed so he couldn't be standing next to the ghosts?

Overall 'Rey Skywalker' feels too simplistic like there's a missing gear between these characters. Rey had a closer relationship with Leia but they don't actually meet much, even before Fisher sadly passed away.

Doing binary sunset again is overkill too and makes the scene more cynical and uncreative.

Rey spent several months getting to know Leia and being trained by her. It was justified enough.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of a 2 minute pep talk, her entire interaction with the only person she knew with the name Skywalker was trying to get him to help, and him saying "Nah."

If we're going with this weird "Whatever family you're closest to is the name you get" thing, then she should have been Rey Solo. She was way closer to Han and Ben than Luke.
what?

she literally was a year with Leia.

;s

grand

Oct 25, 2017
If it hasn't started retconning yet, it's not going to start now. They'll either redo the universe again in a few decades or it won't matter because they've already moved into a new trilogy.

The only retcons will be the Han shot first dance and the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda hoping any new major star wars films just dont mention any of the Skywalker saga characters ever again.

Or at least not a direct continuation of that narrative anymore I guess is more what I mean.

This new trilogy was so botched I just don't want to rely on its choices when making any new films.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
She's a Skywalker in name now and forever. They aren't changing it. The degree to which they will reference her as a Skywalker though is yet to be seen.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Remember how Ben became one of the pivotal people in Luke's life even though he knew him for an afternoon?

But no, Leia and Rey training together for months and her spending a small but significant time with Luke doesn't mean anything.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Luke played a role in what was significant to her, as did Ben. Going with Skywalker over Organa is splitting the difference between all three characters that had a massive impact on her life.
Ben was a Solo. And if she was splitting the difference, with Han, she'd be Rey Solo. Because she's alone by the end of the movie.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Rey Palpatine slaps as a name. She goofed by not taking it, but it doesn't bother me as a fan of the series.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
UFhTPfY.png

have you ever heard the tragedy of Rey Skywalker
I thought not, its not a story the Jedi will tell

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember how Ben became one of the pivotal people in Luke's life even though he knew him for an afternoon?

But no, Leia and Rey training together for months and her spending a small but significant time with Luke doesn't mean anything.
Luke didn't up and take the last name Kenobi.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Ben was a Solo. And if she was splitting the difference, with Han, she'd be Rey Solo. Because she's alone by the end of the movie.

I said between Leia, Luke, and Ben. You're being intentionally facetious if you don't think that those three have something to do with the name "Skywalker."

What this is really about is this idea that Rey had to somehow "earn" this name and that she's somehow wrong to choose how she self identifies.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a blatant, on-the-nose retcon ala the parents reveal in TROS. I think it's more likely that we just don't see Rey again for the foreseeable future, so any question of what name she chooses to go by is moot. Star Wars isn't dead, but I don't see Disney/LF returning to the Sequel Trilogy era and characters any time soon.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I said between Leia, Luke, and Ben. You're being intentionally facetious if you don't think that those three have something to do with the name "Skywalker."

What this is really about is this idea that Rey had to somehow "earn" this name and that she's somehow wrong to choose how she self identifies.
You know what name all 3 of those people (and Han, who still counts in her circle of important people) have something to do with, even more than Skywalker? Solo.

As for idea of 'earning' the name...pfff. I can't speak for other people, but I assure you that I have less than zero respect for family names as tokens of honor. The entire concept is farcical and especially at the name Skywalker. But more important, it's undermining the entirety of Rey's character development over the last movie, but that's what TRoS is all about.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
You know what name all 3 of those people (and Han, who still counts in her circle of important people) have something to do with, even more than Skywalker? Solo.

As for idea of 'earning' the name...pfff. I can't speak for other people, but I assure you that I have less than zero respect for family names as tokens of honor. The entire concept is farcical and especially at the name Skywalker. But more important, it's undermining the entirety of Rey's character development over the last movie, but that's what TRoS is all about.

Luke has absolutely nothing to do with the name Solo, beyond being Han's buddy.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
How about they just retcon this abortion of a film with the Colin Treverrow version please? Thanks.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Which...*checks notes*, yes, it is having something to do with the name Solo.
I have a best friend whose last name is Johnson. I'm gonna change my name to Johnson.

Yeah, that sounds super weird.

Also, the name Solo doesn't carry the same in universe or out of universe impact. It's obvious why they went with Skywalker.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
The fact that their next big push is going to the past speaks volumes. They have no idea how to create new stories past the ST and I don't blame them. It's a mess and they supposedly vanquished Palpatine, the big bad again. Is some new super villain that vaguely resembles Palpatine or a guy in a black mask/costume going to be running around with some new stormtroopers? That would be super lame. So they are taking the easy way by going to the past.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
The version where Rey hooks up with Poe? Yuck.

versus the version that had a non-sensical Goonies side quest, space horse battle on the wing of a Star ship, fake death scenes, dumber head scratching Force Powers,Force ghost Luke barely guiding Rey At All, Finn doing absolutely fuck all, etc etc etc.

Yes, I will put up with Poe being attracted to Rey over all that.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Besides that she became extremely close with Ben Solo, and trained under Leia Organa Solo for a year.

The same Leia who NEVER identified as a Skywalker

Obviously, Luke is the deciding factor here. Having her decide to be "Rey Solo" doesn't work because Han was Luke's friend, which, while significant, doesn't close the arc, mean as much to Luke personally, or carry on the theme of the Skywalker legacy from a narrative POV. This is just picking nits at this point. They don't have to literally go by the name Skywalker for it to be the primary motivator in Rey's choosing it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I have a best friend whose last name is Johnson. I'm gonna change my name to Johnson.

Yeah, that sounds super weird.

Also, the name Solo doesn't carry the same in universe or out of universe impact. It's obvious why they went with Skywalker.
Yeah, because it is wierd. As weird as changing your name with Skywalker.

They went with Skywalker because (they thought) it punched your SW fanboyism button hard enough to make you ignore how asinine the entire thing is and antithetical to the Rey's character. That's all this is. No attention paid to story or character, just "FANS LIKE SKYWALKER SO LETS HAVE REY BECOME SKYWALKER AT THE ALTAR OF SKYWALKER"

God, I fucking hate this movie.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Doubtful, I expect Dave Filoni to produce an animated series dedicated to the sequel trilogy in the same realm as Clone Wars and Rebels

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, in a comic.

It will be something like in a monologue in mid-battle via flashback:
"For some time I made myself known as Rey Skywalker"
"But right here, right now, I became something more."
"I needed to be a leader of the post-resistance."
"I needed to be Rey Organa."
It ends with Rey in a congress meeting of some sort.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
versus the version that had a non-sensical Goonies side quest, space horse battle on the wing of a Star ship, fake death scenes, dumber head scratching Force Powers,Force ghost Luke barely guiding Rey At All, Finn doing absolutely fuck all, etc etc etc.

Yes, I will put up with Poe being attracted to Rey over all that.

Everything you just listed is subjective.

Pulling a relationship out of two characters who never spoken more than two sentences to each other's ass is less so. Also it reeks of the most compulsory heterosexual plot development ever.

Space horses? That's a fun new idea to me. Poe/Rey is the most tritely and cliche thing they could have possibly done and I'm glad it'll never see the light of day.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, because it is wierd. As weird as changing your name with Skywalker.

They went with Skywalker because (they thought) it punched your SW fanboyism button hard enough to make you ignore how asinine the entire thing is and antithetical to the Rey's character. That's all this is. No attention paid to story or character, just "FANS LIKE SKYWALKER SO LETS HAVE REY BECOME SKYWALKER AT THE ALTAR OF SKYWALKER"

God, I fucking hate this movie.

I didn't feel pandered to at all. I thought it was the natural decision for her to make, rather than continue not having a name or being "Rey Palpatine". Antithetical to Rey's character? Please. I could have seen this happening even if they'd kept the plot where Rey's parents were just drunk people who forgot their daughter on Jakuu. Star Wars is all about how the Force links people together; just standing alone as "Rey" would have continued to isolate her and wouldn't have been a fitting resolution at all.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't feel pandered to at all. I thought it was the natural decision for her to make, rather than continue not having a name or being "Rey Palpatine". Antithetical to Rey's character? Please. I could have seen this happening even if they'd kept the plot where Rey's parents were just drunk people who forgot their daughter on Jakuu. Star Wars is all about how the Force links people together; just standing alone as "Rey" would have continued to isolate her and wouldn't have been a fitting resolution at all.
I mean....that's....fine, I guess, if it works for you? Me, on the other hand, it makes me want to die.

No accounting for taste, I guess.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I mean....that's....fine, I guess, if it works for you? Me, on the other hand, it makes me want to die.

No accounting for taste, I guess.

I'm not gonna presume your reasons for liking it like you did with that "You like it because you think Luke Skywalker RULES", and I tried to explain why it worked from a storytelling standpoint, so I really have no idea what to say to this.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna presume your reasons for liking it like you did with that "You like it because you think Luke Skywalker RULES", and I tried to explain why it worked from a storytelling standpoint, so I really have no idea what to say to this.
I wasn't explaining why you like it, I was explaining why they did it. If you rationalize it with deeper meaning after the fact, that's your business, but Abrams himself was just hitting the nostalgia button on you.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Sure why not?

Rise of Skywalker retconned the core premise of entire Prequel Trilogy and Original Trilogy, why not expect it's core premise to similarly be retconned in the future.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Not super hot on the trilogy but the name thing at the end was understandable and i was OK how it ties it up in the end but it was expected that hardcore SW people would rage about it.

So no, i don't think there's gonna be a recon. Get some fresh air.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I wasn't explaining why you like it, I was explaining why they did it. If you rationalize it with deeper meaning after the fact, that's your business, but Abrams himself was just hitting the nostalgia button on you.

My read is just as likely as yours, and there's never gonna be any way we'll know for sure unless Abrams himself says it.

So I guess we're at an impasse here.