• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Death is too high a price for most endeavors, but if he didn't factor the chance of dying into his idiotic plan, he clearly didn't think this through very well.
giphy.gif

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
jumping out of bushes to jump scare people is one thing but the minute you take out actual knives you go into a fucked up territory. i feel bad he got himself killed but jeez man why not just pay some actors or get some friends to pretend to be scared from these pranks like many of these shitty prank youtube channels do. youtube needs to better police these channels because these idiots keep trying to one up each other and its gonna get people killed. this isn't even the first story i've heard of a youtuber getting killed for dumb pranks.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this play stupid games saying a bit overkill here..... He wasn't beaten up or smacked in the head once or twice, he's dead.

This was stupid but he shouldn't have died over this. I feel Era can be a really callous place at times.

"Play stupid games" isn't wishing bad to the person in question, it is literally saying that there are consequences to your every act, and a stupid act can have hash consequences. No one here is saying that he deserved to die, but that should should know that it was a very real possibility doing that.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Can't really get my head around anyone discussing this in terms of the YouTuber being the victim.

The people he approached with a deadly weapon and threatened to rob are the victims.

It's still sad.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Threatening another person's life as a prank is not a good idea and the consequences of doing so are immense. Do not do it.

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
These prank YouTube channels are the absolute dumbest things to come from YouTube by far. Every single so called "good" prank video has at least one person who rightfully trys to intervene and these fucking children go "bro, bro it's for YouTube it's a prank relax!" It's harsh but I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. I remember seeing one once where a guy would back up from around a corner begging like he was about to be shot, they would light a fire cracker off and he would pretend he got shot. Play stupid games win stupid prizes

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible thing to do to the prank victim too. Can't blame the 23 year old and now he has to live with having killed somebody

Mar 7, 2020
USA
...so the place that it happened is a amusement park place like Chuck E Cheese. So that was extra stupid, since there are kids and parents there as well.

It would be like doing a "No Russian" prank at disney land.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
This is why I can't fathom when I see these kind of pranks being done in America (scary clowns, for instance). I'd just assume everyone was holding and would put holes in me.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Can't really get my head around anyone discussing this in terms of the YouTuber being the victim.

The people he approached with a deadly weapon and threatened to rob are the victims.

It's still sad.
Can't imagine how the guy who shot is feeling after knowing the person he killed was pulling a prank. What a fucking terrible situation all around.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
This isn't even a prank... It's quite literally committing a crime (assault with a deadly weapon) and filming people's reactions. If you want to be generous, I suppose you can say the "prank" is that he didn't actually intend to commit an additional crime (robbery), but I don't know how much that would change people's reactions compared to just being assaulted with a knife.

Oct 27, 2017
Well that sucks.

But to my mind the real issue is, did some rando need to be walking around with a gun for "self defense"? Look at the outcome.

Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to carry weapons that can instantly kill someone with minimal effort -- potentially in a situation where the wielder's life is not in fact in danger! Just a thought.

Pulling a dumbfuck prank on someone doesn't make the prankster's death even a little bit acceptable.

your mind is wrong and that's not the issue. You're not taking a different stance from anyone else, even. You're just trying to change the topic, but in a rude way lol

In a general sense, you are technically correct. Nobody should have a gun...yay. but in the meantime, everybody should live their lives like other people could have a gun instead of living like they don't. Most people in the USA learn that by 20, particularly in the south.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Holding someone up for a prank? That seems not exactly legal prank or not

Eagledare

Oct 30, 2017
Don't approach random people aggressively in the south. You're just going to make some concealed carry holder's day.

Dec 30, 2020
That would trigger felony murder charges for all of them AFAIK (any deaths that happen in the process of certain crimes will be considered murder committed by everybody involved in the crime, even if the actual killing was self defense by a victim or even a cop).
Eh? I was talking more about how some folks don't get the whole "subvert reality" elements of comedy, followed by laughter. Being assaulted by idiots with knives isn't subversion or absurd.

Now if a gang of street thugs angrily tried to give you their wallets, that'd be good. Or if one person walking past you got mugged, and then their mugger immediately got mugged, and so on, that would also work. Or have a massive terrifying bloke come up to them, then cheerfully ask them what kinda cake makes the perfect Sunday.

Being mugged with knives only works if it's contrary to expected reality. Like seeing an astronaut on the moon suddenly get mugged by an astronaut in thief stripes, or seeing someone with a knife angrily threatening a snowman for its money.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I have honestly wondered how long it would take before someone tried to pull an aggressive and violent prank on someone armed with a gun and get shot.

Not my place to say if someone deserves it. But it is the inevitable outcome.

The prankster engineered a scenario in which the target believed they had a genuine reason to kill the prankster and that their life might be forfeit if they didnt.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to sound callous, but the stupidity of those participating in this stunt is staggering. Just for YouTube likes? Christ. This outcome would've been a very likely one.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am reminded of the youtube couple that thought a book could stop a Desert Eagle

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a contributing factor may be that this dude was operating in a mindset of someone who'd never been threatened and had people around him who'd never been threatened (to his knowledge). People who were like that might well just freeze or not react to a situation like this, which is probably why this guy thought he could run up on people like they had no survival instinct.

Bad move.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Threatening people with butcher knives isnt a prank, that type of shit can traumatize people. Someone went into flight or fight and they chose fight. Now the gunman has to live knowing he killed someone over a "prank" that's what's unfortunate about this.

I have no sympathy for stupidity.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I have a different idea of pranks. My kind pranks are , something like replacing the tire valve stems p my bosses car caps shaped like penises, or leaving a can of roasted eels in his office.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the replies in that thread recently where a bunch of people were up in arms about "So much for the tolerant left.", I'd say so. People are so quick to jump down each other's throats. In fact, I apologize for even replying to you, it just had been driving me crazy lately and I probably need to just look the other way, going forward.
I was responding to a specific post. Not sure why you replied to me at all, then. I think we all need to step back some times, though!

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this play stupid games saying a bit overkill here..... He wasn't beaten up or smacked in the head once or twice, he's dead.

This was stupid but he shouldn't have died over this. I feel Era can be a really callous place at times.
This is the exact literal definition of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes," next to playing Russian Roulette for reals and playing chicken with a freight train.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I guess a contributing factor may be that this dude was operating in a mindset of someone who'd never been threatened and had people around him who'd never been threatened (to his knowledge). People who were like that might well just freeze or not react to a situation like this, which is probably why this guy thought he could run up on people like they had no survival instinct.

Bad move.

100%

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Victim Blaming
Your perspective is warped. How about don't be a fucking idiot and approach someone with a butcher knife.

Guy didn't deserve to die but I don't blame the shooter at all.

I do. He didn't have to shoot. Pull out the gun, tell knife guy to stop or I'll shoot or say "make my day", or whatever it is cool gun guys say these days. if he keeps coming, then shoot. It's what we expect from the cops and we should expect it from civilians too.

"But it's fight or flight, his adrenaline was going and he went on instinct". If he can't calmly use his gun he shouldn't have one.

People here are saying "now he's going to feel guilty the rest of his life for shooting that guy". Well, that's what he did, so he should feel guilty.

To be clear, I think pranks are dumb and I want youtube pranks to go away, but people walking around with guns is dumb too. They can both be dumb.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Did the "prankster" deserve to die? No, of course not.

But was his death 100% his own fault? Yes, yes it was.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do. He didn't have to shoot. Pull out the gun, tell knife guy to stop or I'll shoot or say "make my day", or whatever it is cool gun guys say these days. if he keeps coming, then shoot. It's what we expect from the cops and we should expect it from civilians too.

"But it's fight or flight, his adrenaline was going and he went on instinct". If he can't calmly use his gun he shouldn't have one.

People here are saying "now he's going to feel guilty the rest of his life for shooting that guy". Well, that's what he did, so he should feel guilty.

To be clear, I think pranks are dumb and I want youtube pranks to go away, but people walking around with guns is dumb too. They can both be dumb.
Amazing

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

peak victim blaming. shit should be ban-worthy