Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider Odin looks way cooler than purple man wearing a bed sheet tbh

He's supposed to be really intimidating when he first appears in SMT4A and his OG design wouldn't have sold it

Yeah well, feast your eyes on Soul Hackers Odin

latest

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Almost every redesign in SMT4 and 4A is an abomination.* Kamen Rider Odin is among the least offensive, and he's still a huge downgrade from Soul Hackers Odin.

*Although I'll give Doi some credit for cleaning up a few of the terrible SMT4 designs for Apocalypse.

Jun 24, 2019
I know some of yous don't like Tokusatsu Odin, but I think he fits right in with the other Norse Gods.

0SM1jdQ.png

look at that flex

tenor.gif

Nov 1, 2020
Fire Emblem 3, I like you, but I think that ultimately, you giving Marth a pair of pants was a mistake.
Original:

FE3:

Now to pick one out of the hat for Megaten...
Let's go with... say, Medusa.
And game-wise... let's go with Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei (the remake of MT1 and MT2)
MT1:
(sprite)

(artwork)

(bonus sprite: Medusa Shadow, a different enemy. And for some reason, has a different design from the original Famicom version)

MT 2:
(sprite)

(Famicom artwork, upper left corner)

You know Medusa, while I do recall kicking your ass in the MT1 half of Kyuuyaku, the part where your entire body below the head disintegrated away, but also leaving your head intact, is not ringing any bells.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I love SMT ,but what were they thinking with Lucifer when they were doing SMTIV/A:

From this:

latest

To this:

latest
I actually like this change. Old Lucifer is way in the nose and cliché (fallen six wing angel + regular demon). I very much appreciate the series nonstandard takes in mythical Abrahamic creatures, like the archangels in SMT IV.

Another bad SMT one:

Satan

From this:

latest

To this:

latest
This I'll agree is a step down. The original had something going for it with that mother Alien look. New one isn't bad but should be a new demon entirely.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
While the Lucifer redesign could have been better in execution i still prefer the idea over stupid horned fabio demon.

Kinda bummed we got old lucifer back in SMTV. Lucifer should be either strike fear or be a charmer and not looking for the nearest gym.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC wasn't this more of a bad timing & planning sort of thing? This probably would have made way more sense if Mega Man Universe actually came out which was the first to acknowledge US Boxart Mega Man as a Capcom character proper. Glad they committed to the joke despite the complaints and had RE3 show off in-universe merchandise featuring this version (well, a much more idealized version of this version anyway).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They're good designs, but not good redesigns
They're not really good examples of redesigns imo as they span different narratively unconnected games, right? A design for "god" or "satan" wouldn't ever cross over between unrelated titles like this.

It's more a different take than a redesign. And this isn't just a semantic argument. A redesign writes over a previous established design for a specific character whose sotry is continuing or evolving, not the same as a different take on the same concept in an unrelated game. It's not overwriting something, which is what a redesign does and why a bad one can be so shit.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's fine if some people don't want to consider them redesigns, but I do so my opinions won't change.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
DRcx8EDX4AA6tIE.jpg

This is one of the worst character redesign to date. It's gets even worse when there's concept art of a more faithful recreation...
IMG_4864.JPG

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think IV Lucifer is still pretty good/interesting, but obviously not nearly as badass as the Kaneko original.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
po4k3pi4yc141.png

From high schooler to savvy business woman who's so busy she forgets her underwear and dresses 5 sizes too small.

Another bad SMT one:

Satan

From this:

latest

To this:

latest

Eh. It's a good design still. Just different. Granted, not as great as the SMT2 one, but not bad.

Eh, probably not. Lucifer's back to normal and the only redesign from Apoc that's carried over has been Odin, seemingly.

Speaking of which, holy shit Odin sucks.

latest

Kaneko Odin is nice and simple. He's got Gungnir, he's got the eyepatch, really the only problem is that he's got the horned helmet but that's the kind of embellishment attached to Vikings. SMT Odin is a super streamlined view of Odin down to his core essentials.

AND THEN THERE'S THIS ASSHOLE

latest

Having a raven with him is nice but come the fuck on, they turned him into Kamen Rider.

Old Odin sucks. Get that Wagner shit outta here. I'll handily take the new one.

Yeah well, feast your eyes on Soul Hackers Odin

latest

This ain't too bad. Minus the horns.

DRcx8EDX4AA6tIE.jpg

This is one of the worst character redesign to date. It's gets even worse when there's concept art of a more faithful recreation...
IMG_4864.JPG

The bottom art is still not that great. While the design is more faithful, the style isn't as great, the face looks somehow more infantilized, the pose is more passive, and there's increased focus on her legs, hips and butt. In some ways that unused concept is worse than the actual redesign.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no one mentioned him yet:

maxresdefault.jpg

He thankfully has been redeemed now. :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
po4k3pi4yc141.png

From high schooler to savvy business woman who's so busy she forgets her underwear and dresses 5 sizes too small.

Eh. It's a good design still. Just different. Granted, not as great as the SMT2 one, but not bad.

Old Odin sucks. Get that Wagner shit outta here. I'll handily take the new one.

This ain't too bad. Minus the horns.

The bottom art is still not that great. While the design is more faithful, the style isn't as great, the face looks somehow more infantilized, the pose is more passive, and there's increased focus on her legs, hips and butt. In some ways that unused concept is worse than the actual redesign.

He looks like he should be throwing hands with the Power Rangers!