• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't we know that a few weeks ago? I thought it was already debunked, but maybe it was an unconfirmed debunking

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Its never aliens. Mistaking something for aliens has to be the most common mistake in astronomy.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Question. Probes supposedly landed on Venus, way back. How the fuck did they land when the air temperature is north of 400 degrees, assuming they parachuted in?

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
latest

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. I need to block this thread. Of course the team who was originally on this is still confident.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
futurism.com

MIT Scientists Say Life May Have Been Detected on Venus After All

MIT scientists say sulfuric acid in the clouds of Venus could be neutralized by the presence of ammonia, possibly the result of biological processes.

But now, a new study is giving new life to the tantalizing theory. Sulfuric acid, MIT scientists say, could be neutralized by the presence of ammonia, which astronomers also suspect to be present in the planet's atmosphere thanks to the Venera 8 and Pioneer Venus probe missions in the 1970s.

Ammonia would set off a long chain of chemical reactions, they say, that could turn Venus' clouds into a hospitable place.

In short, "life could be making its own environment on Venus," the researchers write in their paper, which was accepted into the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

www.pnas.org

Production of ammonia makes Venusian clouds habitable and explains observed cloud-level chemical anomalies

This research provides a transformative hypothesis for the chemistry of the atmospheric cloud layers of Venus while reconciling decades-long atmosphere anomalies. Our model predicts that the clouds are not entirely made of sulfuric acid, but are partially composed of ammonium salt slurries...

This research provides a transformative hypothesis for the chemistry of the atmospheric cloud layers of Venus while reconciling decades-long atmosphere anomalies. Our model predicts that the clouds are not entirely made of sulfuric acid, but are partially composed of ammonium salt slurries, which may be the result of biological production of ammonia in cloud droplets. As a result, the clouds are no more acidic than some extreme terrestrial environments that harbor life. Life could be making its own environment on Venus. The model's predictions for the abundance of gases in Venus' atmosphere match observation better than any previous model, and are readily testable.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this ends with a floating base in Venus' upper atmosphere just for the coolness factor. If you could make a high altitude blimp as a relay platform and shoot short range probes off it, you could probably collect a lot of data.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Enough speculation. Get some probes over there and find out! I know NASA had a Venus mission or two under consideration.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Venus is a hellhole. Life may have existed a long time ago but it's long, long dead now.

Evidence of that life may exist, but...it's Venus.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Life on Venus? Sounds like pranks and subterfuge from the life forms of the "planet of novelty items" (also, Crow predicts the future around the 2 min 55 second mark):

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, it always sucks that it seems like there's nothing else out there like Earth.

So many planets out there and we're really all there is?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it always sucks that it seems like there's nothing else out there like Earth.

I think we're just in a boring corner of the universe. I'm sure there's Earth-like planet colonies partying it up with each other elsewhere in the universe.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure why you're drawing that conclusion. We barely know anything about the billions of planets beyond our solar system, and we've already found a few that could potentially harbor life.

The reality is, the places where we might be able to find more complex lifeforms within our solar system (places with oceans) have not been explored yet. However, the promise of finding any life, especially in a place like Venus, would be game-changing for humanity on many levels.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017

It only seems that way because our current methods of detecting exoplanets lends itself more to discovering planets that are much larger than our own.

Even then though, as the poster above mentions we already have found a handful that have the potential to sustain life.

Once the James Webb telescope launches and starts its mission we'll also start being able to discern the atmospheres of exoplanets which will also help determine which ones might be suitable for life as we know it.

We've really only begun to scratch the surface of our understanding of just how unique (or not) life is in our universe.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
The studies focused on possible life in the temperate parts of the atmosphere, not on the surface.

Which is great at a sci-fi level, but the tech we have at our disposal/ability/budget (that the US government allocates) is nowhere near enough to study that in ways that make advancements within our lifetime.

I think.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
Which is great at a sci-fi level, but the tech we have at our disposal/ability/budget (that the US government allocates) is nowhere near enough to study that in ways that make advancements within our lifetime.

I think.

www.forbes.com

Venus: Will NASA Send Its 63-Minute Mission To Find Phosphine And ‘Proof Of Life?’

NASA is currently considering sending a chemistry lab and orbiter to Venus that could launch in 2026.

Could DAVINCI+ confirm the existence of phosphine at Venus?

Yes. It includes two analytical instruments—the Venus Mass Spectrometer (VMS) and the Venus Tunable Laser Spectrometer (VTLS)—specifically designed to measure trace gases from around 70 km to the surface.

So if phosphine is abundant enough in the lower clouds and haze layers and in the deeper atmosphere, then phosphine can be searched for.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019

I think.

Of course money will always be an issue with launching space probes, but I think the value of research like this is that it helps put focus on where to look for life on Venus. With the atmospheric theory, an orbital spacecraft could gain a lot of information just through spectroscopy and sampling trace quantities of the atmosphere from orbit.

Another possible exploration would be to use a Venera type probe that would collect data as it goes through the atmosphere and transmits it from the ground before the heat destroys the probe.

I find the information and research on organic molecules in the atmosphere of Venus to be interesting and I'm hopeful we'll see some further investigations in the next few decades.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I think we're just in a boring corner of the universe. I'm sure there's Earth-like planet colonies partying it up with each other elsewhere in the universe.

Posts like this always remind me of a line in the Babylon 5 prequel movie "In the Beginning" where Londo is at one point recounting how his race came into contact with humans and he actually says that the reason first contact wasn't made for a long time was simply because earth was seen by them (and by implication the other alien races) as basically some boring, whatever planet in a backwater location of the galaxy "which held little strategic value" so there was simply no incentive for them to spend the time and resources to check us out until Centauri culture became so materialistic, decadent and obsessed with things like obtaining "trinkets" they found out that "Hey, it turns out that weird earth planet actually has some neat collector's type stuff we probably want to have" so because of that they eventually made contact with earth and made a trade deal in return for jump gate tech, haha.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This might be a stupid question to more knowledgeable people, but isn't it entirely possible that any life found on Venus is life accidentally brought over by any one of the various probes we've sent to Venus?

Like, our planet is full of all sorts of microbes and other shit that could theoretically survive a trek to Venus (I think tardigrades have been proven to be able to survive in space as an example) so if that did happen, is it possible that we accidentally brought some microbes over and what we are seeing now is the result of several decades of evolution of these microbes?

Like, there's that one doctor whose done the same evolution experiment with some bacteria (I wanna say E. Coli but don't quote me on that) for like 20 something years now and there have been several crazy traits that have evolved during the experiment, and that's only 20 something years, whereas any life brought over would have almost 60 years at most to evolve to succeed in Venus considering the first mission to Venus was in like 61 or 62 I think

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a stupid question to more knowledgeable people, but isn't it entirely possible that any life found on Venus is life accidentally brought over by any one of the various probes we've sent to Venus?

Like, our planet is full of all sorts of microbes and other shit that could theoretically survive a trek to Venus (I think tardigrades have been proven to be able to survive in space as an example) so if that did happen, is it possible that we accidentally brought some microbes over and what we are seeing now is the result of several decades of evolution of these microbes?

Like, there's that one doctor whose done the same evolution experiment with some bacteria (I wanna say E. Coli but don't quote me on that) for like 20 something years now and there have been several crazy traits that have evolved during the experiment, and that's only 20 something years, whereas any life brought over would have almost 60 years at most to evolve to succeed in Venus considering the first mission to Venus was in like 61 or 62 I think

Not likely, but probably not impossible. If some microscopic life survived on or in a probe from Earth, it would still almost certainly die when exposed to Venus' atmosphere.

Anyway, if there did turn out to be microbial life on Venus, it would be immediately apparent if it were of recent Earth origin, as soon as we got a look at its DNA.