What Generation Has Been The Best For Resident Evil?

• Fifth Gen: Resident Evil 1-2-3-Survivor

Votes: 242 36.4%
  • Sixth Gen: Code Veronica, RE4, reMake, RE0, Outbreak 1/2

Votes: 254 38.3%
  • Seventh Gen: RE5, RE6, Revelations

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Eigth Gen: RE7, REmake 2, REmake 3, Revelations 2

Votes: 251 37.8%

• Total voters

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The poll says it all: What console generation had the best Resident Evil titles?

I'm personally leaning 8th gen. RE7 in VR was my Mario 64 moment this generation, and the remake of RE2 was above and beyond all my expectations.

Two votes allowed.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
REmake and RE4 are the two best RE titles, so that generation gets my vote. Current gen is also great.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't know what it is, but I think a lot of people slept on how incredible RE7 was.

In VR, it's easily a top 3 game experiences of all time kind of treasure.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
5th and 8th. Love all the classics and every new one including revelations 2 is fantastic.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5th gen. There is something special about playing those games for the first time. RE2 is one of the only games in my life that I beat in one sitting on launch day. It was a special experience.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Seventh. RE6 and RE5. Two of the top three RE games. Revelations was good too.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8th gen is the only one that doesn't have a bad game(Rev 2 is legit one of the best REs.)
Fifth has Survivor, sixth has RE 0, and seventh gen is just all around shit.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
5th Gen
8th Gen
6th Gen
7th Gen

Depending on my mood I could see 5th and 8th gen being interchangeable. OG 2 and 3 and superior to their remakes but I also really love RE7 and RE3R but it gets bought down by having Rev2. 6th gen has a wide quality of games but still has some of the best in the series and 7th gen is easily the worst with revelations.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Current gen is good, but apart from RE7 we've got two remakes. Sixth gen had Code: Veronica (great), RE4 (amazing) and REmake (which looked unbelievably good at the time). Zero was fine, but nothing more.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
RE1 Remake and RE4 are the bread and butter games for me, so gotta put my vote there.

The only truly GREAT RE game on PS1 was Resident Evil 2. 1 and 3 are good but not in the same league.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 6 on the strength of RE4 and REmake.

Gen 8 is damn close though with 7 and 2. Not sure how I feel about 3 yet.

KingTrainJumper

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2020
6th gen. RE4 was incredible. Zero was okay. CV is pretty good and REmake was great as well.

7th is worst because of RE6. Garbage game. Revelations was underwhelming. RE5 was solid, though.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The most notable games of the 6th gen were REmake and RE4. And for as good as they were, they can't shoulder average entries like CV and the Outbreak Files.

The eighth gen, comparatively, has the incredible return to form that is RE7 (I just beat it on Madhouse again, it's still amazing), the knockout REmake 2, and a pretty solid (if flawed) REmake 3 that channels the vibe of REmake 2 and the bombastic camp of RE4 in equal measure. I would put RE7 and REmake 2 on-par with REmake and RE4 in terms of quality, and argue that the other titles released adjacent to it (RE:R2 and REmake 3) are of higher quality than those that came out between REmake and RE4.

Frankly, Revelations 2 gets overlooked way too often. That game's got a legitimately great story, enjoyable levels and puzzles, and really creepy atmosphere. It's not nearly as graphically impressive as the games that would follow, but as RE's debut on the 8th gen, I'd say it was a good start.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
REmake and RE4 are probably two of the best games in the series.

But this gen has been amazing, to be a RE fan right now is a treat! Both new games that try their own thing and remakes of classics.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I played REmake 1 and RE2 PS1 for the first time two years ago and they are still head and shoulders above every other RE game I've played. Played 3 after that and thought it was pretty good too.

Tank controls and fixed camera angles just clicked with me and now they're my favorite games in the series. We need to go back...

I'd take the original trilogy over any other era. I know Remake 1 doesn't technically overwrite RE1, but I'm still fine with my choice.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Fifth and and eight generations both had 3 good one, eight offered more variety.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
5th Gen: it's the gen that introduced me to the series and defined what RE means for me. I've played all RE games in including survivor lol.

8th Gen: it's the gen that brought RE back to what I love. I loved RE7 and it's my favorite new RE since 3. RE2R and RE3$(so far) are sublime.

6th Gen: I liked Code Veronica and RE4 but I had some issues with them. CV had pacing and story issues. RE4 was revolutionary but I had many peeves with it.

7th Gen: This is the gen that hurted me the most with RE. RE5 was a good game but not what I wanted at all from the franchise. RE6 is still the only numbered RE that I haven't finish because I can't bring myself to. Each time I buy it and play it, I just hate every minute of it.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The 7th gen RE games sum up what I thought about that entire generation.

6th gen slightly edges out 8th gen.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
RE7, REmake 2 and REmake 3 are all incredible titles and REvelations 2 is pretty okay.

RE6 is dreadful, RE0 and CVX are pretty average to bad, and RE1-3 OG were fantastic but the remakes surpass them.

8th gen, with 6th gen in close second due to REmake and RE4

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Gen 6, for me. REmake and RE4 was a ridiculous one two punch, regardless of how great the Gen 5 trilogy was at the time.

Surprised to see Gen 8 leading.

I don't know what it is, but I think a lot of people slept on how incredible RE7 was.

In VR, it's easily a top 3 game experiences of all time kind of treasure.
It's easily one of my games of the generation but playing it in VR was very underwhelming.

In other words, it being incredible in VR will depend on wether or not you care about VR. I'm lukewarm on VR so playing it in VR didn't do much for me. Much like Astro Bot and Superhot, I liked the game alot but the VR added very little to the package for me.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Great poll, OP. Had to give it to 6th. RE4 alone is worthy for the generation.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I had to go with the fifth generation because all the classic titles are still fantastic games and thinking of just RE1, 2, and 3 all on Playstation there really was no weak spot for me. REmake and RE4 make a strong case for the sixth-gen because they're both some of my favorite games of all time; but RE0 doesn't hold up and Outbreak was a goofy experiment.

This new generation of games is top tier as well. This poll really makes me realize how bad RE5 and 6 were compared to the rest of the series. Especially RE6 being the black sheep of the family. I can't really fault anyone for choosing one gen over the other aside from seventh generation.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
RE2 is my favorite in the series so I'm bias for 5 and 8. I skipped revelations 2 after playing the first one (even though I own it) but I keep hearing that is a good game so I'm gonna have to play it soon.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, 6th gen had the RE that's considered one of the best games in general of all time, along with one of the few remakes that have become the definitive version of a game.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 and REmake are the best games in the franchise so it's pretty easily that.

Oct 31, 2017
It is incredibly close between the 5th and 6th Generation, but I voted for 6th because RE4 and REmake are the best Resident Evil games. That said, the original 3 titles are right there with those.

I don't think any of the other choices are close, to be quite honest.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Tough one but I'll go for 6th Gen. Just because Resi 4 and REmake are tippity top of the RE chain for me. 5th would be my next choice since the original Resi 2 is probably my third favourite.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
OG RE games were like cheap b-horror movies and very enjoyable.

Newer RE games are the same except they are lauded for their rich story and unique narrative, which makes me chuckle

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That's really tough but I gotta say this gen. The remakes and return to form are damn good.