• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How has your income been impacted by the COVID-19 crisis?

• I have been permanently laid off

Votes: 28 2.0%
  • I have been temporarily laid off without pay or I am freelancer/contractor struggling to secure work

Votes: 101 7.1%
  • I have been temporarily laid off with pay

Votes: 29 2.0%
  • One or multiple other people in my household have lost their income

Votes: 118 8.3%
  • Members of my family outside of my household have lost their income

Votes: 102 7.2%
  • My income is secure for now, but I am uncertain of its future

Votes: 433 30.5%
  • My income is secure and I expect it will remain so through the duration of the crisis

Votes: 782 55.1%

• Total voters

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Consumer product company.

Products not moving, haven't been layoff yet. But if our aggressive sales strategy doesn't help, then I can expect more layoffs to happen in the coming weeks.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for: my income is secure for now, but I'm uncertain of its future.

I should be OK - I can't see my work closing any time soon. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if hours get cut, maybe even drastically. Thanks to that I've tightened my belts and am trying to brace myself just in case.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping I'm in about the best position I can be through the crisis.

I was already a remote contractor for Microsoft as a tech writer, which means that for one thing I didn't need to adjust my work flow due to the crisis, and also that I'm the kind of person Microsoft hires to save money on hiring full employees, so I doubt I'm at risk for layoffs anytime soon.

It's also encouraging that even with this situation going on I'm still getting occasional emails and calls for other offers, so at least for the next several months my industry seems to be remaining stable.

Oct 28, 2017
California
My income is secure, I'm getting a temporary pay increase, and any overtime I work I will be getting paid double.

I am very fortunate and will need all the money I can get. My sister's hours will be getting cut (she has a 6-year-old boy), my older brother might be getting laid off, and I help support my mother (she gets a SS check but it's not enough and she resells at flea markets on the side but those are all closed right now), so I might be having to help my family a lot more.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
My wife and I are both secure right now as we can both work remotely and are essential services. If for some reason my company decides to do more layoffs and I'm let go, my wife makes enough that it shouldn't really impact us in the short term.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm ok on my personal income and have confidence that it will remain secure.

My partner is currently out of work — their workplace did offer paid time off for the first two weeks and it sounds like there's still negotiations at the upper levels about beyond that. The two weeks ends this upcoming weekend and there will be several additional meetings and conference calls to discuss and relay any updates for my partner. I am guessing they will ultimately be out of pay after the initial 2 weeks comes to an end.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Should be an option in the poll for people whose salary is being reduced. My company just did rollbacks ranging from 5-40%

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in grocery retail but I already have to hold off due to being sick. So, uncertain future, but should be fine (especially if this is COVID rather than a cold and I and my family get past without complications) and I at least have some sick pay.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
The stuff I produce is considered essential or something, so unless my goverment enforces even stricter rules, I'm fine.

Sister and her partner though both got their hours cut. Could get ugly on their side.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
No changes. I work as a mail processing clerk for USPS and I'm essential. Business operations will continue as usual unless there's an outbreak in the plant.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
My pay is going up as a result of having much more work to do and thus more hours due to sustained panic shopping. We are allowed overtime because of this and every employee in the store will be given a bonus next month.

Jul 4, 2018
I had some work doing camera operation stuff just before everything turned to shit, but that has stopped for now and was only contract work so only paid for when I'm working anyways. Hopefully I can still get some more work with them out the other end of all this but for now no $$$ for me.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
No effect besides this thing absolutely murdering sales numbers, so bonuses are almost certainly not happening this month/quarter/next quarter.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm still working from home and my industry, while impacted, won't be hit as hard as others that are losing revenue by the day. I'm still receiving my salary every 2 weeks and I expect that to continue during and after the crisis.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If anything our income has went up due to doing extra overtime. My family hasn't been so lucky but thankfully I'm in a position to help them a bit.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I am doing a Phd and work freelance. I need to postpone my PhD for the time being and work will probably be reduced over the next months. I am pretty secure financially for the time being, but there is a great deal of uncertainty around how long this will last.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got told not to come in until I'm called. So Im officially without income :))))))))

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on leave but my company is paying for my scheduled hours. Those may get cut in the future but no confirmation yet.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I'm very lucky to have my pay guaranteed for the foreseeable future, I don't expect any kind of quarterly bonus but I'm glad I'm just getting paid normally. Though I expect my pay may reduce if the whole situation really drags out.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
We are an essential business and most of us can work from home but they did just cancel our overtime until further notice which is concerning.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Secure for now, but I expect utility bills to be way higher than usual so it'll be a budget overhaul on my part at some time.

I don't know how long my job is secure.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I'm fortunate and grateful that my income is secure and should be for the foreseeable future.

I used to work in hospitality. Boy would that have been unfortunate.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
My only concern is my bosses using this as an excuse to artificially shrink our staff if the government offers to compensate the unemployment % that an employer would normally pay themselves if they let someone go.

Yes, I believe that will happen depending on the government stimulus packages that might pass. I think a lot of companies see this as a free way to reduce payroll with no penalty for the long term.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised the votes are skewed so heavily toward secure income. I really hope that holds true and most people get to keep working through all this.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Secure for now, but uncertain. I'm in an industry where they don't mind culling the masses if they have to. I was hoping to buy my first home later this year, but now I'm not sure if I should even consider it given my uncertainty. :s

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
No. I work for an "essential service" company. Which is good because I'm now supporting the rest of my family who are making zero income. So while mine isn't directly impacted, I'm basically making zero dollars.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
My income is secure for now even gain more hours but my sister got laid off..and who knows what the future holds, I could lose mine in the coming weeks.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Secure and it should stay that way as I am able to work at home. I was lucky to end up where I currently am

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Self employed, less income, but I'll survive. I have several months of savings just in case something bad happens, just like this. And I just finished paying for my house AND car this year.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Waiting on EI which will be a 50% pay cut.
I'm temporary laid off until this all goes away as my entire industry is shutdown pretty much world wide. Wife makes more money and her job is secure. So...we should be...ok.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I've always worked in the healthcare field in some form so it's actually mandatory (or highly suggested) overtime everywhere at the moment

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I am secure because I work in an industry that needs to exist for everyone to live and function, so that is nice.

Although we've had untold levels of stress with people calling in to try and defer payments. Demoralizing to the core.

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This poll should have a furlough option. I've been furlough'd through losing 10 hours a week of work and 25% of my hourly wage.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
i make good $$ but my wife lost her small part time job which was nice for that rainy day fund.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I was reduced to 20 hrs a week at the hotel I work at after massive layoffs in other departments. I'm now back up to 40 thanks to two people quitting over the reduction to 20 hrs a week. But the state is now shutting down all non-essential business so I don't see us staying at this staffing level much longer.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Furloughed but I don't expect the company to make it. Worked for small company who's clients are hotels. SO also got furloughed, she works for a small paper/industrial printer company that was already in bad shape.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I work at the corporate office for a major hospital network in the IT department. My wife is the manager of the pharmacy technicians in a grocery store pharmacy. I thought we would both be fine.

However, my company just furloughed a shit ton of staff because our census is down and they can't perform any elective surgeries, physical therapy, medical imaging or anything that really brings in money. They're full fledge committed to nothing but combating coronavirus right now.

There were people significantly more important than me who were furloughed and I have no idea how I dodged the chopping block. Even my own boss was furloughed. I feel like I could be next any minute. If this virus continues to rage on like this then those furloughed employees may never come back.

I got one kid and another due in a month. This is horrifying.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Factory I work at has been deemed essential because we make things for medical equipment sometimes. I mean ti isn't our main bread and butter, but it's enough to keep the lights on apparently. Bro is working from home but his income is secure. Both of my parents will be able to do some mix of working from home and not, so they should be good too.

Strange to feel like nothing is really changing for me, but I won't pretend not getting a paycheck is a bad thing.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Secured for now but uncertain of its future. It's a cashless service so if people keep using it, we're fine. If not, guess I'm out of a job.