• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are PlayStation Fans Happy With Sony's Current Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 598 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 717 24.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1,586 54.7%

• Total voters

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
I have confidence in Sony, I am glad they are holding back while preparing for PS5. I am expecting a huge blowout of game announcements(if the announce PS5) when they do have a show sometime next year. Cannot wait.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I have a huge backlog of games. Playing Spider-Man now and waiting for God of War and Red Dead for Christmas. I'll be fine to wait for a while.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine at this point it is mostly all hands on deck for the PS5, so there really isn't much "new" to be announced with the PS4. Also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if some of their "big" releases have been pushed back to either be PS5 or crossgen, so remaining quiet is probably the way they want to approach that as well.

The PS5 is on the horizon and they want to unveil it in a way that is "smart" and on their own terms. They are sure to get the attention when they're ready and hopefully this extra time to "cook" will blow us away.

Selfishly, of course it's a bummer they've gone silent as I love the big stupid reveals and events, but this is probably the smart way to do it. Appearing at these events and having a series of lackluster showings as they're holding back for the PS5 and/or announcing things comically early doesn't help them in the slightest.

By the time they're ready to talk, they will have basically taken off two PSX's, two E3's and other events when it comes to new announcements. Obviously, things must be crazy (hopefully in a good way) behind the scenes, so when they're ready it should be an insane showing.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I have played amazing PS exclusives and i know a tons of them are also incoming

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have one of the greatest lineups of games we have ever seen to end a console lined up. Who cares if they don't talk, they don't have to. No one comes close to their lineup. I also rather them gear up for PS5 than release any more new games for PS4, have your big guns exclusive for PS5 launch like horizon 2.
Just to bring some context to this post, i figured i'd list the potential Sony line up for the next 3 years.

1. Dreams
  2. Days Gone
  3. The Last Of Us
  4. Ghost of Tshushima

1. Death Stranding
  2. Horizon 2 (3.5 years dev time)
  3. GT7 (3 years dev time)

1. Next Bluepoint remaster (3 years dev time)
  2. Gow 2 (3 years dev time)
  3. Spiderman 2 (3 years dev time)
  4. New IP or teh rumored Uncharted reboot from their new San Diego studio
  1. New Naughty Dog IP (3 years dev)
  2. Ghosts of Tshushima 2
  3. Days Gone 2
  4. Dreams 2 and the cycle repeats.

So basically 3-4 big exclusives a year. They might sneak in a second party game from Supermassive (hopefully until dawn 2), quantic dream (detroit 2), a next gen ratchet game and maybe bloodborne 2 from From Software. So 4-5 big exclusives a year.

I still think that killing off Incognito, Zipper, Guerrila Games Cambridge, Evolution Studios and even big big studios was a mistake. Team Ico is no more as well so their entire Japan studios are basically a no show on these AAA lists. They would have had a lot more to talk about if they had continued to invest in these studios.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, yeah we'll see. E3 is still the biggest platform in the industry so it's odd though.

I was listening to the Easy Allies podcast and they were speculating that Sony doesn't like how E3 is both public and an event for the press. The lines are insane and it's chaotic and logistically I bet it's some sort of a mess trying to get everyone around. I'm sure the major reason for skipping is not having enough new things to show, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is because they don't care for how chaotic the E3 format is now.

Oct 30, 2017
Boston
Their silence really doesn't matter to me. I still expect the PS5 to be an amazing console with some fun exclusives to play.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao Zelda didn't have two consecutive years of gameplay demoing. Nice try.
No, it was just teased at 2 E3s before getting an entire one to itself. And being crossgen it was capitalized on perfectly in that "dead year" to set up the next hardware launch.

There's likely parrallels here with Sony's big 3. Nice try tho.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No no no no no. If Sony launches the PS5 with games exclusive to that hardware I'll be pissed. That doesn't work in 2020.
2 of the most comical posts in this thread within 30 minutes of each other. We are blessed.

I, too, want my PS5 games designed to accommodate a Jaguar CPU. /s

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not hung up at all because I'm used to getting update few and far in-between. I've been a Nintendo fan since the NES so Nintendo not talking through most of the year is natural to me and I have enjoyed Nintendo being more opened with their Directs. Which is why I said I don't see the issue with Sony going long periods without saying anything, especially since you know what is coming down the pipeline. Isn't like the long drought with the N64, GameCube, and Wii U when you didn't know when Nintendo was going to give you your next game. Especially during the N64 when Nintendo was infamous for their delays.

But I don't know what I'm talking about, so whatever.
Not sure why you're so hung up on gens past. We're talking about here and now. Yes, I agree Nintendo was silent way too frequently in gens past. But that has not been the case for a number of years now.

We know the big titles coming, but we haven't seen much, if any, gameplay. And most of us aren't asking for weekly or monthly updates. Maybe just a presence at E3 to talk about these titles coming shortly thereafter. They're not even doing that.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2 of the most comical posts in this thread within 30 minutes of each other. We are blessed.

I, too, want my PS5 games designed to accommodate a Jaguar CPU. /s
What's funny is if you actually think the PS5 launch titles won't be cross gen. You can /s all you want, but it's gonna happen. Maybe you'll get a Resogun 2 or a Knack 3 exclusive to the PS5, but there won't be any AAA games exclusive to the PS5. It doesn't make financial sense for any publisher to do that.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
We know the big titles coming, but we haven't seen much, if any, gameplay. And most of us aren't asking for weekly or monthly updates. Maybe just a presence at E3 to talk about these titles coming shortly thereafter. They're not even doing that.

We've seen pretty lengthy demos for Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams.

Only Death Stranding we haven't seen a full blown demo.

What's funny is if you actually think the PS5 launch titles won't be cross gen. You can /s all you want, but it's gonna happen. Maybe you'll get a Resogun 2 or a Knack 3 exclusive to the PS5, but there won't be any AAA games exclusive to the PS5. It doesn't make financial sense for any publisher to do that.

Horizon 2 won't be cross gen. There'll have something exclusively for PS5 near launch. It'll makes sense for Sony because they want to sell you a PS5, and show you what the developers can do with it.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
They had only Zelda at that E3 and it went over amazing. Their 2016 lineup was pretty great for 3DS too and really even Wii U had a couple worthwhile titles yet so it's not even like BOTW was all they had to talk about either. Going "Zelda only" was a strategic move that paid off because the game was just that compelling.

Sony has this stand out content so why aren't they confident enough to show up and push it at E3? Why not do for Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima and TLOU Part 2 what Nintendo did for BOTW?

Unlik Nintendo Sony has been showing those games for years. A third year of the same game is overkill and will create the narrative that they have nothing new.

The reason they are not going to e3 is because PS5 is not ready, that's it. If they didn't reveal PS5 everyone would say "that sucked, where is PS5". They should release some online trailers of their games during e3, I would expect them too. But them saving all their future announcements for whatever PS5 event they will do is not a bad strategy.

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, either you're missing a /s, or this might be with hottest of hot takes
For the hottest of hot takes you sure spent a lot of time trying to counter my points. I know there's good stuff too but that's not the point of my post. My point is showing that Sony's making bad choices and is getting PS2-era cocky again which is only going to lead to bad mistakes made for the next generation. If you can't see that through their mindset, history and priorities then I don't know what to tell you.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How is that "funny"? I made no claim that there would be no cross-gen titles at launch and my post history suggests I think there will be. The dude I was responding to (at least in my view) seemed to be saying that they don't want any PS5 games to not be playable on the PS4, from launch and going into the future. The games you're talking about being cross-gen, are PlayStation 4 games. I know that, you know that and you are being disingeuous if you are trying to catch me out on anything. You knee-jerked to my comment, and didn't understand what I was actually responding to or what about.

The reality is, it can continue to and has in the past made absolute sense for Sony to promote a new console with games that take advantage of it in ways that the previous gen hardware cannot. It makes absolute sense for Sony to create games that accentuates PS5's strengths, as well as enhance baseline PS4 games for a PS5 release. It makes sense for Sony to create system sellers for its hardware. Your argument doesn't have any realistic basis to it, other than "I think I know what Sony plans to do with PS5". I know exactly what your argument will be if it turns out that Sony does indeed have PS5 exclusives prepped, and I'm waiting.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
Dont care dont need to hear from them. I'm sure they will speak when they're ready to.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'm happy. I have loads of games on the backlog to play, Q1 2019 is loaded and we know what games will be coming late 19/early 20. Nothing to complain about.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Unlik Nintendo Sony has been showing those games for years. A third year of the same game is overkill and will create the narrative that they have nothing new.

The reason they are not going to e3 is because PS5 is not ready, that's it. If they didn't reveal PS5 everyone would say "that sucked, where is PS5". They should release some online trailers of their games during e3, I would expect them too. But them saving all their future announcements for whatever PS5 event they will do is not a bad strategy.
I don't think a focused deep dive into Sony's big 3 (maybe 4 with Dreams) would hurt Sony's image, at least not anymore than skipping E3 entirely already does. You say it'd create the narrative they've got nothing else but they already did exactly that by backing out of the gaming industry's biggest event and public platform.

I think these 3-4 games are pretty likely to end up crossgen too so like Zelda, really getting the press and audience invested could work out on two fronts as both driving the titles themselves and also whetting the appetites for the "best version" when PS5 finally unleashes. We'll see how things go though, Sony's doing PAX West so maybe their decision to drop E3 is something other than the (self defeating) avoidance strategy you're suggesting.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch didn't come out in 2018

This was already addressed to me about what the graph was thanks.

Do you? Nintendo has Directs every couple of months. They are actually much more present than Sony or Nintendo. Are you talking about Nintendo from 10 years ago or something?

Nintendo tries to just show what's coming within the year with a few exceptions like Metroid. Which explains Sony's current silence as they have announced games rather early this entire generation and are prepping for the PS5.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo tries to just show what's coming within the year with a few exceptions like Metroid. Which explains Sony's current silence.
Makes too much sense.

Their lineup for 2018 is final (other than Dreams beta). They are quiet now, because what else do they have for the year? They have promised to share more in 2019 (when a great deal of the rest of the lineup is expected, and hardware announcements are coming). Not sure why that is difficult for people to grasp.

Ruin

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
What silence, they have 5 giant triple A exclusive games coming within 18 month. And they have shown a lot of them.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm in for games and they continue to come out. So I'm largely indifferent to Sony not being at E3 etc. Yeah, the announcements are cool but I'm waiting for the ones they have already announced. Ghosts of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 - I want them and I don't mind waiting so if they are busy with those and prepping for PS5 - I'm good.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
People are apparently so addicted to being marketed to that they crave it. I'm sure when there is more info and soundbites to share Sony will be happy to indulge you. What, you think they suddenly don't want our money?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

I don't see this as a good defense at all. The fact that most of these games have been shown and known for years, especially Dreams and Days Gone but even TLO2 and Death Stranding, is the very reason why new announcements for PS4 would have been appreciated. It won't affect PS4 as a platform, but looking back Sony really slowed down quite noticeably compared to past gen. The focus seems to be on 2017/2018s few well positioned highlights, but as a whole this generation the 1st Party output on PS4 left alot to be desired, compared to past gen in regards to variety and quantity, even worse if you consider their output from PSP to PSV. Positive thing that can be argued is that their highs were higher (debateable).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's fine for me. I'd rather them be silent than spouting sweet nothings just for the sake of it.

They have the games coming, so I'm not worried. Maybe if they say absolutely nothing for all of 2019 then I might be.

Plus I'm still way behind on Sony 1st party games. Still need to play God of War, Uncharted 4, Until Dawn, Detroit, Last Guardian, and a couple of other smaller Sony games. I have plenty to keep my PS4 on for a long while.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm indifferent. I don't like it, but I'm not too bothered either. It really comes down to whether or not they deliver in the end. Based on everything we've seen this gen, they have and I expect they will continue in the next gen. Until they let me down, I'm not going to assume they won't come through.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It doesn't bother me. They were heavily destroyed last year when they had a toned-down PSX keynote. If there's nothing substantial to show, then hold off. There are still several big exclusives coming in 2019 and beyond. PS4 is doing just fine. If this is indeed near the end, then it probably makes sense for them to be silent until the PS5 reveal.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes too much sense.

Their lineup for 2018 is final (other than Dreams beta). They are quiet now, because what else do they have for the year? They have promised to share more in 2019 (when a great deal of the rest of the lineup is expected, and hardware announcements are coming). Not sure why that is difficult for people to grasp.

I don't recall Sony ever being this silent near the end of the PS2 and PS3 era prior to announcing a new system. Or cancelling shows. Not sure why it's so difficult for some of you to grasp why we're talking about it.

Why do people still ignore that they showed more than just 4 games during their conference at E3?

Probably because it was more of a sizzle reel like when they show indie games.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
The silence is not related to their software lineup. It is the general silence that started in the months following E3 2018.

But they attended The Tokyo Gameshow, The Brazilian Gameshow, The Paris Gameshow, and PAX Australia in September and October and now are being rumored to be attending PAX South in January. How much information are they meant to be putting out there.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We've seen pretty lengthy demos for Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams.

Only Death Stranding we haven't seen a full blown demo.

Horizon 2 won't be cross gen. There'll have something exclusively for PS5 near launch. It'll makes sense for Sony because they want to sell you a PS5, and show you what the developers can do with it.
I don't think that's true. What were the PS4 exclusive games at launch? Resogun and Knack off the top of my head. Neither is AAA (or AA for that matter). I can't see Sony releasing a AAA game at launch without a cross gen port. It doesn't make financial sense when they've sold so many PS4 consoles.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall Sony ever being this silent near the end of the PS2 and PS3 era prior to announcing a new system. Or cancelling shows. Not sure why it's so difficult for some of you to grasp why we're talking about it.
Because they said they want to do things different now. What's so hard for you to understand here?
Games-wise they are set. They delivered again and again. Now they wanna to their own shit, without E3. Easy to follow, right?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's true. What were the PS4 exclusive games at launch? Resogun and Knack off the top of my head. Neither is AAA (or AA for that matter). I can't see Sony releasing a AAA game at launch without a cross gen port. It doesn't make financial sense when they've sold so many PS4 consoles.
So Knack isn't a AAA or AA game? lol. And Killzone: Shadow Fall is an "A" game, too?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
What's the timeline of this silence that makes it so troubling or unacceptable? It's a few months following their biggest releases of the year, and it's unlikely that Sony are going to be quiet during the launches of games like Days Gone in April, along with when they decide to show more from their other games. PSX didn't appear before this gen, and even though E3 isn't for Sony this year, they have already said they're doing their own thing in 2019 which includes the "new and familiar". It's the concern itself rather than people talking about it, which gets me.

So Knack isn't a AAA or AA game? lol. And Killzone: Shadow Fall is an "A" game, too?
Well it's tales from the rear end, as usual.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How is that "funny"? I made no claim that there would be no cross-gen titles at launch and my post history suggests I think there will be. The dude I was responding to (at least in my view) seemed to be saying that they don't want any PS5 games to not be playable on the PS4, from launch and going into the future. The games you're talking about being cross-gen, are PlayStation 4 games. I know that, you know that and you are being disingeuous if you are trying to catch me out on anything. You knee-jerked to my comment, and didn't understand what I was actually responding to or what about.

The reality is, it can continue to and has in the past made absolute sense for Sony to promote a new console with games that take advantage of it in ways that the previous gen hardware cannot. It makes absolute sense for Sony to create games that accentuates PS5's strengths, as well as enhance baseline PS4 games for a PS5 release. It makes sense for Sony to create system sellers for its hardware. Your argument doesn't have any realistic basis to it, other than "I think I know what Sony plans to do with PS5". I know exactly what your argument will be if it turns out that Sony does indeed have PS5 exclusives prepped, and I'm waiting.
I'm not being disingenous at all. Maybe you just COMPLETELY misread that comment you responded to. The other poster said he didn't want launch games exclusive to the PS5 (meaning not cross gen). You said it was the most comical thing in this thread? Are you for real right now? Were you in such a hurry to respond that you didn't read his post?

How are you in the same breath saying that you have posted that you think there will be cross gen games and that Sony will have exclusive PS5 games? Huh? Unless you're talking about a Knack situation. Sure. They may have a Knack game. They won't have a Spiderman game or a Last of US game or an Uncharted game at launch exclusive to the PS5. That's wishful thinking from you.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This was already addressed to me about what the graph was thanks.

Nintendo tries to just show what's coming within the year with a few exceptions like Metroid. Which explains Sony's current silence as they have announced games rather early this entire generation and are prepping for the PS5.
But there are still games coming in 2019. And in regards to Sony's silence I'm mostly talking about their non-show at E3. They have games to promote still for the PS4. Why not show up? Maybe not do the full conference, but still have some floor space. That's the baffling thing

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not unhappy but I'm not indifferent. I'll say I understand games take time so I'm fully aware of why they had to go silent, but I do WISH they had even more output because I enjoy their games so much, and love the conferences and feeling that there's always something on the horizon.

That said, I'm really anticipating the next time they have things to say, and I expect great things from that time.

I hope the cadence doesn't drop further next-gen when games inevitably cost more to make and take more time. It might be good for them to think of investing in new studios so they can grow and eventually get on the level of their other great studios.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, I forgot about Killzone. My bad. But I think everyone has forgotten about that game. LOL!

When people are discussing launch games and more people know about Knack than this game, that shows you how many people cared about it. There's a reason Killzone was put out to pasture after that game.

And no, Knack is not a AAA game. LOL, do you actually believe it is?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It seems pretty clear they are saving up for the PS5 reveal. They have had constant hits with plenty of upcoming games announced. They aren't being silent anyway. They clearly said they will talk in the new year but have nothing more to show at E3, that's pretty open communication I feel.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading through this thread it appears "Noise" and "Silence" aren't based on what the console delivers. More so, how much time, or lack thereof, the execs dedicate to PR on social media. In retrospect, Detroit, Niche Spider-Man, God Of War, all broke records this year. PSVR hit 3 million earlier in the year. And Astro Bot introduced a new bonafied ip.

Arguably PS has turned it's dominance in Europe into a stranglehold on that market over the gen. And the mind share and momentum appear to be at an all time high. I'd argue that outside the gaming forum bubble, some of the responses here are a bit of a head scratcher.