• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I think pretending the President sits on their hands all day waiting for Congress to decide its own business with absolutely no input or badgering from the President is a soft lie, and lets the President off the hook for not corralling their party into line and/or for promising to do things they knew they would not expend political capital to get done.

Yes Presidents obviously try to have it both ways; they talk about their agenda and the things they want to do while running, but when they break their promises or fall short they defer to giving everyone a civics lecture about the seperation of powers.

Yet contrast it when they pass stuff.

We still call it Bidens Infrastructure Bill

Or Trumps Tax bill

Or Obamacare

Etc etc

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think pretending the President sits on their hands all day waiting for Congress to decide its own business with absolutely no input or badgering from the President is a soft lie, and lets the President off the hook for not corralling their party into line and/or for promising to do things they knew they would not expend political capital to get done.

But we don't know this. This is convenient thinking. Contrary to what was established in the Trump years, we don't live in a society where the President negotiates via aggressive twittering.

We're seeing this now with the Biden Administration. With how they lobbied Simona for BBB, with how VP Harris was deliberately sent to WV to pressure Manchin. The stories still coming out about how aggressive the administration was moving behind the scenes in coordinating a diplomatic response to Russia invading Ukraine. This is how Presidencies typically work; you don't find out until it's done.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Did those people decide who would be nominated to the Supreme Court? Would pro-choice people have won those seats instead?
I'm mostly commenting on the infighting that was mentioned. There is a lot of inconsistency within the party, and often there are sweeping attempts to silence progressives.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Ah we're still slinging that piece of fake news ?

The vast majority of american leftists did hold their nose and vote for Clinton. Same as for Biden. In fact, they did moreso than Clinton voters voted for Obama back then.

But yeah, it's the left's fault of the ineptitude of the democratic machine. You know, like minority leftists who did most of the work in Georgia

Who said its the minority leftists fault? They are the most reliable bloc. If its anyone's fault its white America - the Republican party in its entirety and the white america that identifies as liberal/progressives, dems or whatever but didn't both to vote for whatever reason(s).

It's incredible how people look at how Republicans did this, how Democrats did absolutely nothing to stop it, and blame progressives. Let me also remind you:

www.salon.com

How the Hillary Clinton campaign deliberately "elevated" Donald Trump with its "pied piper" strategy

An email released by WikiLeaks shows how the Democratic Party purposefully "elevated" Trump to "leader of the pack"

People often mention this, but I don't understand what is so scandalous about it. The Clinton campaign thought that an extremist candidate would be off putting to the general electorate, which would help their chances. This was like, elections 101 shit that you'd see play out in elections across the country for decades. They erred because because Trump's brand brought out previously dormant right -wing votes and didn't turn off enough regular GOP voters, but these tactics don't strike me as eye opening.

Exactly this! People post it as some gotcha but this is basic elections campaign tactics. It backfired, like everything did, but even the Rs were shit scared that Trump would sink their party.

We probably would be in a better place if he replaced RBG while the Dems had majority.

How?

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017

David Sirota is a moron, and he consistently posts this kind of thing in bad faith.

Our Senate is designed to give red states undue power to obstruct against progress. The Electoral College gives Republicans the White House even when they get millions of votes less than their opponents.

Sirota knows this, but it's his brand to post misleading tweets in order to paint a false narrative.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine pointing the finger at the ever nebulous progressive bloc and not, you know, white people collectively since this country has been built and it's supremacist ideologies still perpetuated by the one population who is virtually in control of everything.

Doesn't really matter which side of the aisle you want to blame, because ultimately we wouldn't be in this mess if white people had long since culled their bigotry in their own space.
Facts, but you know the make up of a gaming forum.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Who said its the minority leftists fault? They are the most reliable bloc. If its anyone's fault its white America - the Republican party in its entirety and the white america that identifies as liberal/progressives, dems or whatever but didn't both to vote for whatever reason(s).

Ding ding ding.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It was inevitable.

Abortion rights will be on a state-to-state basis.

You'll have to travel for an abortion if your in a red state most likely. Assuming they don't make that illegal as well.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
No it not an issue for "all of us". If it was, it would never have been reversed. For most, Roe was settled, there was never a need to defend it. Not caring is why it is gone .

I'm saying that it is an issue for all of us because it affects all of us.

There was always a need to defend it. It was slowly dying. Casey overturned some of it.

It's gone because a lot of people in the country decided that it is either abortion is bad/wrong or they decided that it's not as important as their taxes. Roe has majority support in my red state but folks are still gonna vote for the GOP after abortion has been illegal here for the better part of 8 months now. They STILL got the most votes in the primaries and folks are turning rightward in key Dem strongholds. They are the biggest reason for this.

I've been living the reality of Roe being overturned for almost a year and I've spent tons of time helping folks get out and get the care they need. Leftists/Progressives are the ones leading this charge in my state. Moderates and Independents are content to watch the country backslide.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm mostly commenting on the infighting that was mentioned. There is a lot of inconsistency within the party, and often there are sweeping attempts to silence progressives.

Dems are the side that has purity tests on issues. People from NY, CA expect Dems who manage to win in WV or Alabama to have the same stance on issues.

The GOP has no purity test other than loyalty to the party. That is why they have an advantage.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Voters have fought admirably against entrenched oppositional advantages to give democrats two shots at unilateral control over the electable arms of Federal government in recent years. That seems pretty good! That those politicians haven't done much with that makes me think it's perfectly fair to blame them.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
People often mention this, but I don't understand what is so scandalous about it. The Clinton campaign thought that an extremist candidate would be off putting to the general electorate, which would help their chances. This was like, elections 101 shit that you'd see play out in elections across the country for decades. They erred because because Trump's brand brought out previously dormant right -wing votes and didn't turn off enough regular GOP voters, but these tactics don't strike me as eye opening.
Not to mention, if you look at polls in March and April...Hillary did not beat Kasich in a head-to-head in ANY of them. While she thrashed Trump and beat Cruz.
It was the logical play.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, but it's pretty stupid for us to waste breath fighting each other instead of the GOP just because their evil goes without saying.
We are all mostly on the same page and fight the GOP by voting in Dems.

The progressives vs moderate Dems is going to be a battle for a long time since they should really be two different political parties. The latter doesn't take race nor class seriously and that's going to be off-putting for some.

Oct 27, 2017

Everything is a matter of priorities. If a President wants to get 100 things done but knows they only have the political cache to get 10 for sure, and maybe 10 more if they are lucky, then they prioritize. That prioritization is based on many factors:
  • What is the impact of the policy/law?
  • How will it effect them politically?
  • What is the urgency?
  • etc
In the case of, say, ACA, it took up much of Obama's cache and was needed and seen as urgent. In the case of codifying Roe v Wade, it was likely seen as less urgent since it wasn't expected that the GOP would actually overturn it anytime soon.

Everything in politics is compromise, and I don't mean politically; a President has a limited amount of guaranteed time to implement an agenda, and they need to pick one or two major things and then a few dozen small things. If Roe v Wade is codified then maybe the bailout doesn't happen, or ACA. I'm not comparing the impact of any of those, just providing an example.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
So when they overturn gay marriage ect what then? People won't just let their rights be taken away like that.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
I would bet good money that if Republicans didn't have the massive decades long advantage from the Electoral College that they have had then Mitch McConnell and Co would have figured out how to get it nuked by now. They always figure out how to rewrite the rules in their favor and Democrats are always far to scared to do the same.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Voters have fought admirably against entrenched oppositional advantages to give democrats two shots at unilateral control over the electable arms of Federal government in recent years. That seems pretty good! That those politicians haven't done much with that makes me think it's perfectly fair to blame them.
They absolutely deserve blame. Dems have pissed away their majorities without doing much.

But hand-waving the people who, without question, deserve the vast majority of the blame (the GOP) in order to set up a circular firing squad is lunacy.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Probably a more generous reading than he deserves, but part of the reason Republicans can achieve their goals with or without a national legislative majority is because they have put such a premium on nominating judges with a partisan slant.

As soon as they put ACB on the court it was full throttle on passing state laws that overturned previous precedent, and they're going after written-in-stone federal statutes (like OSHA or the VRA) that they don't have the votes to overturn either. They've also repeatedly signaled that they won't stop state legislatures from abusing what's left of the VRA, so the law is virtually dead.

You can always tell when someone is politically unserious if they think that one president can completely flip the country around, because even in a fairy tale world where Bernie is president and he strong-arms the party into passing New Deal 2.0, the Supreme Court can just say 'lol no' and we're in the exact same place. 2016 was the most pivotal election of our lifetime and we dropped the ball, and we'll be paying for it until our kids are having kids.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Nope. Every time the Dems fail they blame the left and refuse to change. It's a scapegoat for their bullshit practices and why they constantly lose.

I vote for this dumbass party time and time again. And then get blamed for them failing to get anything done. If you all want me to continue voting for this party earn it. Because you have everything we could have voted for and we're still getting shit on.

Why do people need coaxing to vote against the transparently evil Republicans? I'd vote for a pile of shit if it kept a Republican out of office. Democrats do suck, but it is completely beside the point.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I live in fucking NEBRASKA where my vote doesn't count for shit because I'm surrounded by dipshit hillbillies and I still get out to vote for every election. No one else has an excuse. Do it, your job will probably pay you for it.
I appreciate you <3

Why do people need coaxing to vote against the transparently evil Republicans?
So much this. Tired of absolving voters of their responsibility, as if they were babies needing to be coddled.

But I will and repeatedly blame every single person who *choose* to sit out 2016 regardless of how 'safe' their state was just as much as every single person who choose to pick Trump. This blood is on their hands, not the Democratic party's, not Clinton's, not those who showed up.
Agreed

But to be honest... we're past the blame game. It's too late now. I don't know what the solution is gonna be going forward, but I sympathize with all the activists on the ground. Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and everyone else in America fighting this -- godspeed y'all.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

That's not the point I was making. if congress had passed that law it wouldn't make a difference. The court privisional ruling is that there is no constituional right and that abortion rights are not an issue reserved to the federal government. Congress could pass 50 laws and it wouldn't matter, the Supreme Court would overturn them.

All the discussion on congress or the president doing something are a red herring. They don't matter. The *only* thing that can be done in to fix this is court packing. That's it.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
But we don't know this. This is convenient thinking. Contrary to what was established in the Trump years, we don't live in a society where the President negotiates via aggressive twittering.

We're seeing this now with the Biden Administration. With how they lobbied Simona for BBB, with how VP Harris was deliberately sent to WV to pressure Manchin. The stories still coming out about how aggressive the administration was moving behind the scenes in coordinating a diplomatic response to Russia invading Ukraine. This is how Presidencies typically work; you don't find out until it's done.
So where's the stories about Obama going to Senators in 2008 and badgering them into supporting codifying Roe into law? If it was such a huge priority why were those efforts (if they existed to begin with) abandoned?

Where's the stories about badgering for voting rights reform? BBB wasn't passed, so why was lobbying for it abandoned or past lobbying for it held up as a positive example?

They aren't playing 4d political chess, they're failing to advance the goals and positions they were elected to advance.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
They will go after everything. These extremists won't spare a thing I believe.

I just don't think it will happen (any time soon). A key pillar of modern white supremacy is the framing of racism as stuff that happened in 1950s. Everyone is still racist as fuck, but it allows the system to perpetuate it because everyone can point at shit like lynchings and separate but equal and go, "I'm not racist. I don't like that stuff, but black people need to get off welfare." Getting rid of interracial marriage would disrupt that illusion too much so I doubt you'll find enough republican voters to go along with it.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Again until dems stop letting Repubs out vote them mid terms by making it competitive this stuff is going to keep happening. The just as important as presidental elections. Fortunately if there is one silverlining the fall elections have chance being charged on our side now.

We need to keep the House and expand the Senate needs so Biden has power to do what he wants with legislation so we aren't stonewall by two fucking senators and their asinine views. The path is clear.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Biden reconsiders stacking the courts. We shouldn't be losing rights like this under a Democratic president. Republicans are probably going to try to go against gay marriage next.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
So where's the stories about Obama going to Senators in 2008 and badgering them into supporting codifying Roe into law? If it was such a huge priority why were those efforts (if they existed to begin with) abandoned?
Does it matter at this point? The court's opinion, as written, would overturn a codified Roe law anyways.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is a matter of priorities. If a President wants to get 100 things done but knows they only have the political cache to get 10 for sure, and maybe 10 more if they are lucky, then they prioritize. That prioritization is based on many factors:
  • What is the impact of the policy/law?
  • How will it effect them politically?
  • What is the urgency?
  • etc
In the case of, say, ACA, it took up much of Obama's cache and was needed and seen as urgent. In the case of codifying Roe v Wade, it was likely seen as less urgent since it wasn't expected that the GOP would actually overturn it anytime soon.

Everything in politics is compromise, and I don't mean politically; a President has a limited amount of guaranteed time to implement an agenda, and they need to pick one or two major things and then a few dozen small things. If Roe v Wade is codified then maybe the bailout doesn't happen, or ACA. I'm not comparing the impact of any of those, just providing an example.
So if it's the first thing on the chopping block to be compromised in the name of a short agenda don't go to Planned Parenthood and say it'll be the first bill you will pass

They can't have it both ways

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Biden reconsiders stacking the courts. We shouldn't be losing rights like this under a Democratic president. Republicans are probably going to try to go against gay marriage next.
I think Biden would consider it, but Sinema and Manchin won't support it because they love raking in cash on the status quo.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange that Roberts thinks the leak is what would causes people to lose faith in the courts, rather than unpopular decisions.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017

If the draft opinion wasn't leaked, people would still question the legitimacy of the Court. All of this is just a circus act just to shift some of the attention away from the actual opinion to it leaking. Hell it could be a Republican conspiracy to leak so outrage can be shifted, if we want to go down that rabbit hole. :/

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Does it matter at this point? The court's opinion, as written, would overturn a codified Roe law anyways.
That specific issue? No. The general point about how our Presidents run on stuff they have absolutely no intention to push for or belief will get done on its own? Yes.

Oct 27, 2017
We're being told what the right is going to do. It's not doomposting to pay attention.

They're coming for their white, Christian, ethnostate

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think Congress passing a law would have any impact anyways? This ruling states specifically you have no right to privacy, and its not a reserved matter for congress. The court would just find congress doesn't have the authority to implement such a law?
If there's no right embedded in the Constitution, Congress could still legislate one. That's their entire purpose. The Supreme Court is saying there is no right to privacy, so States can legislate to diminish your privacy. If Congress passes legislation saying that States cannot do that, then the states have to listen.