Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
By making Manchin's and Sinema's lives a living hell until they sign on. You take away their committee positions, threaten to cut reelection funds. Have Biden and/or Harris hold rallies in their districts and call them out directly for holding things up. In Sinema's case you threaten to primary her. Basically anything short of threatening violence should not be off the table.
What do you do if Manchin decides he's better off switching parties? WV is a hard R state. Biden is not popular there. Why do you think a president they already don't like would hurt Manchin's popularity? The people there know Manchin's deal. They elected him BECAUSE this was his deal

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

AFAIK this isn't news. This tweet is literally just explaining what the last line that references "bending the rules" is referring to. What I have been trying to find however is how it could be overturned or retracted; because that's the issue with "bending the rules" is that it gets challenged somewhere along the way and reversed by a Conservative heavy body/court.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We're at a point where progress vs moderates on era are just arguing in circles, and I don't see either side changing the other side's opinions or beliefs. As a progressive, if we don't nuke the filibuster at all then I don't see what meaningful bills the Dems can pass. Two years go by pretty quickly and the clock is ticking. I get that people are fine with the status quo but I'm sick and tired of this country and want meaningful change and progress.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
What do you do if Manchin decides he's better off switching parties? WV is a hard R state. Biden is not popular there. Why do you think a president they already don't like would hurt Manchin's popularity? The people there know Manchin's deal. They elected him BECAUSE this was his deal
Switching parties would be the end of his career. Republicans aren't going to vote for an ex-Democrat, they'll vote for the person that's been an actual Republican. And considering it wasn't a complete blowout, he would lose all of the voters that voted for him because he was the only option.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who gives a shit? At least he would finally be more honest about what he is.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so fire them

From the constitution:
"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings"

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I blame the people in dem states like Maine where they relected Susan Collins, a republican, over a decent democrat more than Manchin who is somehow miraculously able to hold a dem seat in a hard red state. If we had even one more dem senator right now Manchin's importance would be drastically reduced. Two more and we'd be able to ignore Sinema as well

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a good way to give Manchin an easy out to vote against it. Plus then you have to worry about the extra legal challenges it will spawn. At best it's the other nuclear option
it's established law a court doesn't have the ability to tell congress how to run its business

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Switching parties would be the end of his career. Republicans aren't going to vote for an ex-Democrat, they'll vote for the person that's been an actual Republican. And considering it wasn't a complete blowout, he would lose all of the voters that voted for him because he was the only option.
Killing the filibuster is probably also the end of his career. Also Republicans are already voting for him right now when he has a D next to his name (hence why he has a seat despite the state going to Trump by an almost 40% margin)

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, one of four Republicans at the meeting, stressed to Biden and the group that he didn't think raising the wage was directly related to the immediate problems caused by the pandemic, according to two of the sources. Biden didn't push back on Hogan's point at the time. Nor was there a protracted discussion on the minimum wage. The conversation simply moved on.
Fuck Larry Hogan

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Frankly I blame the people in dem states like Maine where they relected Susan Collins, a republican, over a decent democrat more than Manchin who is somehow miraculously able to hold a dem seat in a hard red state. If we had even one more dem senator right now Manchin's importance would be drastically reduced. Two more and we'd be able to ignore Sinema as well

Manchin gives cover to Sinema, if it were just her standing against a $15 minimum wage or nuking the filibuster I think the political pressure would be impossible for her to withstand.

We really only need 1 more Democratic Senator to move things to where we want them to be.

less

Oct 25, 2017
We're at a point where progress vs moderates on era are just arguing in circles, and I don't see either side changing the other side's opinions or beliefs. As a progressive, if we don't nuke the filibuster at all then I don't see what meaningful bills the Dems can pass. Two years go by pretty quickly and the clock is ticking. I get that people are fine with the status quo but I'm sick and tired of this country and want meaningful change and progress.

I don't think anyone in this thread is fine with the status quo given the mounting challenges facing Dems in upcoming elections. Everyone here wants the filibuster to go and for meaningful legislation to pass. I personally am waiting until proper bills like the new voting rights act are brought up for a vote to see how things turn out. If Manchin and Sinema dig their heels in and refuse to nerf/kill the filibuster that is when I am planning on getting mad. Until then talk is cheap and theater coming from those two. Better for my mental health that way.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Manchin gives cover to Sinema, if it were just her standing against a $15 minimum wage or nuking the filibuster I think the political pressure would be impossible for her to overcome.

We really only need 1 more Democratic Senator to move things to where we want them to be.
I agree. Honestly it's why I blame Maine voters more than anyone right now. Susan Collins winning reelection there fucked us more than anything else in that election and it's frankly something we should've been able to avoid

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
McConnell is going to be speaker again anyway if nothing gets done because of Manchin. If your only argument for why we can't pressure Manchin is because he will literally betray us for the Republicans then it sounds like he was never on my side to begin with

Nothing gets done? With a Democratic majority, we're getting two big reconciliation spending bills, Biden getting a full Cabinet, and a ton of lower courts being filled (maybe a SCOTUS seat if Breyer retires). If Manchin became a Republican, we would get none of that.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
I want the Fili nuked too. I want as much progressive legislation as possible passed, it's gotta go. I'm still optimistic that it will be when the right legislation gets obstructed to hell and back by GOP.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
McConnell is going to be speaker again anyway if nothing gets done because of Manchin. If your only argument for why we can't pressure Manchin is because he will literally betray us for the Republicans then it sounds like he was never on my side to begin with
I mean perhaps you're right. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation right now which is that there's literally no way of putting effective pressure on him and that trying to do so is literally only going to make our current situation worse

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I agree. Honestly it's why I blame Maine voters more than anyone right now. Susan Collins winning reelection there fucked us more than anything else in that election and it's frankly something we should've been able to avoid

Don't forget Cunningham's inability to not sext for the duration of the campaign. By final margin that was an easier pickup than Maine.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

It was by far the most shocking (in a bad way) result of the 2020 election. I don't understand the logic of voting for a split ticket of Biden and Collins (at all).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is also another reason DC statehood needs to be a priority. If DC becomes a state we'll get 2 Dem senators. If we can make it happen soon we can get those senators in by the end of the year and at that point we now have 52 seat in a 102 seat senate, which is a much more comfortable position since it effectively renders Machin powerless in cases like this

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I remember liking some of his videos, but damn he looks like a complete fool in these two tweets.

his Video essays are excellent and well researched, his Twitter political commentary however can be very bad,

this is a good example he often makes straw man arguments which is really fucking weird given his general video quality.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe his career is worth saving the nation for.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I am beyond tired of hearing about West Virginia and the 11th dimensional and eternal chess matches Manchin is playing with it.

Again, punditry at the individual level is a waste of energy. It's not your job to fantasize about whether an idea is palatable to some demographic, or to analyze senate margins. You're not a political strategist. Support what you think is good, pressure politicians to act on it

No one gives a flying fuck about WV and Manchin and why better things aren't possible today, no one here and especially not those in the real world outside this "progressive" videogame forum who are struggling and demanding better.

This is nice and all, but isn't this the job of her and other Democratic reps? Why is she saying this as if the responsibility to convince the hold ups is on someone else? We, as the people, aren't the ones against it. Biden doesn't seem to be against it either.

Probably because she recognizes that POTUS holds a lot of power, and that the POTUS shouldn't be speaking on the issue fucking up their positioning and submarining expectations. IF POTUS is for it then the time he took to call governors about it is time he could've said what Jayapal is saying here.

It's also a call to arms for the media and to you the reader that yes, it's primarily a couple of arcane dinosaur assholes preventing movement on this and not arcane rules.

lightning2k3

Oct 25, 2017
People are upset at the wrong crowd. There were plenty of pickups that were infinitely more winnable than WV. If we won in Maine or North Carolina or Montana or South Carolina or Mississippi then Manchin wouldn't even be a concern right now.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder how Manchin will feel in ten years knowing he failed America and, quite possibly by extension, the entire world in a pivotal moment of looming crisis.

I wonder if he'll look at the blasted ruin of authoritarianism and out-of-control environmental disaster and say, "Well, at least I got a couple more years out of my seat before I got sniped by a Republican running on a platform of strongman nationalism."

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean perhaps you're right. But that doesn't change the reality of the situation right now which is that there's literally no way of putting effective pressure on him and that trying to do so is literally only going to make our current situation worse

But that's not true. I literally just listed ways they can pressure him. Most of those are basic things you can do to whip votes
What is this in reference too? Cause it definitely isn't about the minimum wage

That tweet was about Biden's unwillingness to use executive orders to wipe out student debt. So not exactly relevant to this conversation.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I find its hilarious that people here think Manchin is going to nuke the filibuster so the Dems can making him powerless.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because she recognizes that POTUS holds a lot of power, and that the POTUS shouldn't be speaking on the issue fucking up their positioning and submarining expectations. IF POTUS is for it then the time he took to call governors about it is time he could've said what Jayapal is saying here.

It's also a call to arms for the media and to you the reader that yes, it's primarily a couple of arcane dinosaur assholes preventing movement on this and not arcane rules.

How is Biden commenting behind closed doors "fucking up their positioning"? And what positioning do they have exactly that he has little confidence in them being able to add the min wage increase to the reconciliation bill?

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sexism
If it can't be done this way, we basically gotta hope they nuke the fillibuster.

Doing that will revolve around Manchin and Sinema.

Manchin will do his dance, and I wanna say, probably fall in line, but I'm less sure about Sinema, who might actually be as stupid as she appears.

220px-Kyrsten_Sinema_%28cropped%29.jpg

Really cannot emphasis the amount of stupid white woman energy Sinema gives off.

Last edited:

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I want the Fili nuked too. I want as much progressive legislation as possible passed, it's gotta go. I'm still optimistic that it will be when the right legislation gets obstructed to hell and back by GOP.
Minimum wage increase needs to be the first bill. It's worth nuking the filibuster for that given how even $15 an hour is too low.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But that's not true. I literally just listed ways they can pressure him. Most of those are basic things you can do to whip votes

That tweet was about Biden's unwillingness to use executive orders to wipe out student debt. So not exactly relevant to this conversation.
Threatening him that you'll take actions to make it harder to be reelected seems kind of pointless if taking those actions you want him to do will also guarantee he doesn't get reelected. He's no worse off in either situation, but now he has a reason to form a grudge against the people putting him in that situation. It'll lead to less getting done, not more

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
??

He has no power on filibustered bills and all the power on bills that get votes
Yeah the issue here isn't power (If that were the case the right concessions would get him to nuke the filibuster, since if he refuses to nuke it under any circumstance he's giving up the one chip he has in that negotiation)

THe issue is that either he's objecting on purely ideological grounds, or more likely he's objecting because he thinks nuking it himself will kill his chance at reelection

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
I don't know which is worse, that posts like this keep getting made by either ignorant or dishonest OPs, or that the respondents don't take the time to read the article and learn what the fuck they're actually supposed to be discussing.

It's in the article. READ THE GODDAMN ARTICLE.

Interesting thread read that's for sure.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
How is Biden commenting behind closed doors "fucking up their positioning"? And what positioning do they have exactly that he has little confidence in them being able to add the min wage increase to the reconciliation bill?

You literally explained it yourself. Biden having little confidence in them being able to add it in is how you fuck up their positioning. Now it's considered a reach from the start, and the true reasons it's considered a reach aren't discussed or given light.

Also, nothing remains private, especially calls with governors where a bill is concerned. I'll tell you 1 group very happy with Biden right now - Republicans.

BeeksElectric

Oct 25, 2017
OMB has already said that raising the minimum wage will have a material impact on the budget due to more tax income and lower costs from welfare. The parliamentarian can eat a dick if they think otherwise.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
??

He has no power on filibustered bills and all the power on bills that get votes
Yeah if anything Manchin's power would be significantly higher if the filibuster went away. Right now he matters for reconciliation bills or executive/judicial appointments but for standard legislation, the most powerful senator is the 10th Republican willing to vote for something (if all 50 Democrats and 9 other Republicans are behind it).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You literally explained it yourself. Biden having little confidence in them being able to add it in is how you fuck up their positioning. Now it's considered a reach from the start, and the true reasons it's considered a reach aren't discussed or given light.

Also, nothing remains private, especially calls with governors where a bill is concerned. I'll tell you 1 group very happy with Biden right now - Republicans.
It was always a reach. Reconciliation has rules for what can be considered and using it for minimum wage was always a huge reach because it clearly doesn't really fit with those rules

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
A lot of people in this thread don't understand the Byrd Rule and the bullshit the Parliamentarian is pulling. The Parliamentarian is on record saying that her office finds the budgetary impact of a minimum wage increase is negligible ($75 million) because they only consider it from the perspective of the federal government's increased payroll and contractor costs. That is total bullshit and doesn't even comport with what the flawed CBO report said, $54 billion deficit. Shit is a total joke. Even conservatives are not trying to make the argument that it would have only an incidental effect on the budget.

This is political posturing and a fight the Biden administration doesn't want to take. Judgment calls like these are why I didn't want Biden. He was on the wrong side of way too many decisions just in the Obama White House, even setting aside his awful record. This is why policy matters, he is not willing to risk political capital on ONE OF FUCKING THREE PIECES OF MAJOR LEGISLATION HE IS LIKELY TO GET IN HIS ENTIRE FUCKING PRESIDENCY. ONE THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DESPERATELY NEED.

One, they could overrule the Parliamentarian. Two, we all know the Parliamentarian's stance is total bullshit. There is no way this does not significantly effect revenues and outlays (just spending on welfare programs alone). We have seen ton of examples of minimum wage increases at the state level and they have been huge successes ----> increased tax base, less social safety net spending. It meets the 10 year budget deficits rule too for those same reasons.

STOP COPING FOR THESE SHITTY POLS THAT CONTINUALLY FAIL US.

Oct 27, 2017
You literally explained it yourself. Biden having little confidence in them being able to add it in is how you fuck up their positioning.
This makes no sense. Their positioning was fucked up from the start. Biden voicing what was already known isn't doing anything at all. Some of you grab onto the least consequential things

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OMB has already said that raising the minimum wage will have a material impact on the budget due to more tax income and lower costs from welfare. The parliamentarian can eat a dick if they think otherwise.
The issue is that for a bill to qualify for reconciliation, none of the following can apply
  1. If it does not produce a change in outlays or revenues;
  2. If it produces an outlay increase or revenue decrease when the instructed committee is not in compliance with its instructions;
  3. If it is outside the jurisdiction of the committee that submitted the title or provision for inclusion in the reconciliation measure;
  4. If it produces a change in outlays or revenues which is merely incidental to the non-budgetary components of the provision;
  5. If it would increase the deficit for a fiscal year beyond those covered by the reconciliation measure (usually a period of ten years);[c] or
  6. If it recommends changes in Social Security.
It definitely has a direct affect on revenue, but the issue is 4, because it's pretty hard to argue the main goal of raising minimum wage is the increased tax revenue