Votes: 145 41.9%
  • After

Votes: 201 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I mean set mode isn't even particularly hard to ignore, literally just don't switch

But I get why people may be upset by it

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is there more than one town?

Please tell me S/V doesn't do the thing where theres only one big city/hub in the region and thats it. That was one of my fears.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I think several eyes would've been batted at the look of the "Iron - " forms lol
Perhaps. Functionally they're still identical to regional forms in all but name and dex numbers though, and design wise a lot of the Iron forms are more similar to their originals than some regionals. Compare Iron Bundle which is literally just a metal Delibird to something like Alolan Raichu which is pretty different. My point really is that if you include megas and regionals in the count for past gens, this dex is very much in line with those but it keeps being represented as significantly larger.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. If you don't want to design a player character like Red or Gold then at least let me create one that doesn't look like a normal NPC. I'd honestly rather them go back to actual named protagonists again instead of these half-baked custom characters.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
I looked at the trainer list and the variety of trainer classes are so disappointing. Not even fishermen, socialites (gentlemen/lady), Ace Trainers, athletes (swimmer/cyclist/jogger), rangers, campers, PokeFans, farmers, occultists (hex/psychics), etc... Not even skiers on the mountain.

Disappointing. Considering the open world aspect of the game, I've expected to meet a lot of people.
Wait seriously?? What the hell are the trainer classes then?

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I looked at the trainer list and the variety of trainer classes are so disappointing. Not even fishermen, socialites (gentlemen/lady), Ace Trainers, athletes (swimmer/cyclist/jogger), rangers, campers, PokeFans, farmers, occultists (hex/psychics), etc... Not even skiers on the mountain.

Disappointing. Considering the open world aspect of the game, I've expected to meet a lot of people.
I feel like trainer classes in general have been going downhill for the last couple of gens. Not only is there much less variety, I feel like their designs all kinda... suck now? Like they're ugly or super cartoony now. They used to be much cooler in the older games. I still have nightmares about some of the SwSh trainer designs....

50R0S5g.png
JY9Oqe4.png
WB52LVZ.png
evx7FgP.png
VqqLZAa.png

447gmcA.png
6M9UlSt.png
I03fa3y.png
HSQtBwy.png
LJFFxBn.png
a45Hz16.png
gnLpo8w.png
bZlWhOK.png

The old trainers managed to look cool even when they were just your average joe fisherman or office worker. I can't but feel like the new designs make Pokemon in general feel less cool, because they just look more like western toddler cartoon and less.. anime? I'm not sure how to put it into words really.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently not a lot of building to go in but eh I'll reserve judgement if there's a sense of liveliness
I'm fine with that as long as the towns themselves still have a good bit of identity.

The open air pokemon centers aren't anywhere near as cool/charming though.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
We won't know what the "official" 1000th pokemon is until Home is updated to support the game and they receive national dex numbers.

I'd also point out that, while the official number is 103 new Pokemon, 18 of those are just remixes of existing mons similar to regional forms that arbitrarily were given new names and dex numbers. (I know the lore. My point is if these designs had been introduced last gen as Galar forms no one would bat an eye.)
I've kind of been afraid to say it out loud but it does kind of feel like they're padding the numbers a lil bit.

But I reserve any real judgement on that until I see the whole dex for myself at launch. Still though, Wiggler and the paradoxes being their own dex numbers instead of unique forms still kind of rubs me the wrong way at first impression.

Wulava

Jul 18, 2022
Here they are (actual name might be different in the game):

Karate Man
Cleaning
Deliverer
Mountain Girl
School Boy/Girl
School Infant M/F
School Young M/F
School Middle M/F
School Senior M/F
School Child M/F
Youngster (tanpan)
Waiter/Waitress
Backpacker
Businessman
Chef
Mania
Dragon Tamer
Researcher
Worker
Model
Artist
Musician
Team Star Grunt
Team Star Sub Boss
Team Star Boss
Teacher
Gym Leader
Gym Trainer
Elite Four
Champion

Robbin__

May 26, 2018
I feel like trainer classes in general have been going downhill for the last couple of gens. Not only is there much less variety, I feel like their designs all kinda... suck now? Like they're ugly or super cartoony now. They used to be much cooler in the older games. I still have nightmares about some of the SwSh trainer designs....

50R0S5g.png
JY9Oqe4.png
WB52LVZ.png
evx7FgP.png
VqqLZAa.png

447gmcA.png
6M9UlSt.png
I03fa3y.png
HSQtBwy.png
LJFFxBn.png
a45Hz16.png
gnLpo8w.png
bZlWhOK.png

The old trainers managed to look cool even when they were just your average joe fisherman or office worker. I can't but feel like the new designs make Pokemon in general feel less cool, because they just look more like western toddler cartoon and less.. anime? I'm not sure how to put it into words really.
Not trying to undermine your points but I do see that you've snuck giovanni in there 👀

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

50R0S5g.png
JY9Oqe4.png
WB52LVZ.png
evx7FgP.png
VqqLZAa.png

447gmcA.png
6M9UlSt.png
I03fa3y.png
HSQtBwy.png
LJFFxBn.png
a45Hz16.png
gnLpo8w.png
bZlWhOK.png

Some others have become iconic enough, to the point of making it to Masters, like the Hex Maniac

4011515_1.jpg

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019

Karate Man
Cleaning
Deliverer
Mountain Girl
School Boy/Girl
School Infant M/F
School Young M/F
School Middle M/F
School Senior M/F
School Child M/F
Youngster (tanpan)
Waiter/Waitress
Backpacker
Businessman
Chef
Mania
Dragon Tamer
Researcher
Worker
Model
Artist
Musician
Teacher
Gym Leader
Gym Trainer
Elite Four
Champion
to be fair, unlike prior games there are actually a variety of looks and body types/ages/skin colors for each trainer class

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The school uniform customization thing is so baffling I can't help but wonder if it's just because most Japanese schools mandate uniforms and so they never even considered that a school setting wouldn't mandate them (never mind uniforms aren't standard in many countries, and that this is a game and people don't necessarily want to be bound by the conventions of real life anyways)

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH

50R0S5g.png
JY9Oqe4.png
WB52LVZ.png
evx7FgP.png
VqqLZAa.png

447gmcA.png
6M9UlSt.png
I03fa3y.png
HSQtBwy.png
LJFFxBn.png
a45Hz16.png
gnLpo8w.png
bZlWhOK.png

I hadn't thought about it until just now, but I really miss seeing these trainer spites sliding into place at the start of each battle.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018

Karate Man
Cleaning
Deliverer
Mountain Girl
School Boy/Girl
School Infant M/F
School Young M/F
School Middle M/F
School Senior M/F
School Child M/F
Youngster (tanpan)
Waiter/Waitress
Backpacker
Businessman
Chef
Mania
Dragon Tamer
Researcher
Worker
Model
Artist
Musician
Team Star Grunt
Team Star Sub Boss
Team Star Boss
Teacher
Gym Leader
Gym Trainer
Elite Four
Champion
So like..are there just no trainers in any bodies of water? Terrible variety, Jesus Christ.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
The school uniform customization thing is so baffling I can't help but wonder if it's just because most Japanese schools mandate uniforms and so they never even considered that a school setting wouldn't mandate them (never mind uniforms aren't standard in many countries, and that this is a game and people don't necessarily want to be bound by the conventions of real life anyways)
Yeah, I'm still crying about it too. I still don't know the full details about the clothes in the game but some people have said it's disappointing. Trainer customization and clothes should really be a huge selling point for every Pokémon game going forward. Internet will crash once they finally drop the damn kid avatar model and you can pick any kinda model to customize.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm still crying about it too. I still don't know the full details about the clothes in the game but some people have said it's disappointing. Trainer customization and clothes should really be a huge selling point for every Pokémon game going forward. Internet will crash once they finally drop the damn kid avatar model and you can pick any kinda model to customize.
It's weird how I think overall X/Y still feels like it had the best clothing options and that was literally their first attempt.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
We probably aren't getting actual National Dex numbers for awhile. The current internal listing makes no sense.
We probably aren't getting actual National Dex numbers for awhile. The current internal listing makes no sense.

The Japanese Zukan website updates after the games are out. And Serebii and Bulbapedia will start using them on Thursday forever engraving them.

I know the numbers break all paterns all have, but it's a fact that they are what they are.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Got a shiny Flittle from a mass outbreak. The good news is you can keep changing the date on the system clock to spawn new mass outbreaks. The bad news is it's very tedious, sometimes I have to do it twice before it works, and I'm seeing a lot of outbreaks of the same pokemon over and over. I really want a shiny Orthworm but idk if those can even have outbreaks.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I lost track of this game and didn't realize it was releasing so soon! I just bought a JRPG so I won't be picking this up at launch. Really interested in reviews and impressions though.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese Zukan website updates after the games are out. And Serebii and Bulbapedia will start using them on Thursday forever engraving them.

I know the numbers break all paterns all have, but it's a fact that they are what they are.
The Japanese site doesn't update immediately, it takes awhile.
I'm telling you, those internal numbers aren't going to end up being the actual national dex numbers, they make no sense and if they follow the regional dex then Gimmighoul will be #999.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese site doesn't update immediately, it takes awhile.
I'm telling you, those internal numbers aren't going to end up being the actual national dex numbers, they make no sense and if they follow the regional dex then Gimmighoul will be #999.
One rule of Pokémon games is that IDs are final and will never be touched in subsequent games. For everything; moves, items, Pokémon, etc. They have never been changed. That's why we still have lots of leftover data from XY.

The National Pokedex numbers won't change.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
One rule of Pokémon games is that IDs are final and will never be touched in subsequent games. For everything; moves, items, Pokémon, etc. They have never been changed. That's why we still have lots of leftover data from XY.

This happened once in Generation 3 (which was on the "modern" engine, gflib), the new Pokemon followed an older 'dex order internally that ended with Chimecho and had Gardevoir around the pseudo-legend slots. I've also yet to find the source of the corrected numbering seen in this following image, but these might be the sprites' filenames and therefore the correct order that will be seen in Home and going forward:
ecsswlhg9yz91.png

But if you're right, you're right. Guess we'll know soon.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This happened once in Generation 3 (which was on the "modern" engine, gflib), the new Pokemon followed an older 'dex order internally that ended with Chimecho and had Gardevoir around the pseudo-legend slots. I've also yet to find the source of the corrected numbering seen in this following image, but these might be the sprites' filenames and therefore the correct order that will be seen in Home and going forward:
ecsswlhg9yz91.png

But if you're right, you're right. Guess we'll know soon.
That's just the Pokémon ordered by the Paldea Dex number.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splurged on an Oled Switch even though my current one works just fine and that the successor is probably coming next year.

All for this game.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing has to move in internal numbers that nobody was supposed to even see.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone could share me an actualized list with the Scarlet and Violet exclusives for choosing wich version i should get ?

Status
Not open for further replies.