Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The problem with "anime cries" is that in the anime, every different Pokémon of different species has a different voice actor. An episode with a family of Onix had five different voice actors voicing the different Onix. It's not standardised, despite the dub standardising it.

Plus the dub doesn't really do it well, although Japan sometimes falls into this, where it's just clearly a person saying the Pokémon name. Japan they at least make it animal like. Like the Charizard voice you're accustomed to is actually the Japanese voice actor saying Lizardon in a dragonish way, it's not just a roar. Same with Onix, it says Iwark but in a loud roaring manner.

I am team animalistic noises by far. I am so happy that Legends brought back the Pikachu and Eevee ones from the games before they shifted to "standard" anime ones. Just continue improving them so they sound less and less 8-bit. The Gen 8 cries in general are top quality.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Man we're not getting official news for a minimum of 2 months, gonna be rough to wait it out. I wish they only revealed these games when they were ready to start the marketing cycle in earnest

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
If only one single change from Arceus could be kept in SV, I would want it to be using the original cries for Pikachu and Eevee.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Legends's implementation of cries is perfect and they don't need anything else (just like a lot of other stuff in Legends).

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
My problem with "animal cries" is that then what do you want for Bellossom or Gardevoir or Jynx or Porygon or Clefairy or Elekid or idk, there's lots of Pokémon that just don't fit these animal grunts that people want for those like Charizard or Squirtle, etc

Besides that, I think it's always been established that Pokémon are not animals, but a more evolved form of life with a higher intelligence. They form societies, they interact and "talk" to each other, within the same species, and with other Pokémon, most of them are able to "communicate" with their trainers, etc. I know people are gonna be like "yeah but dolphins, or yeah but elephants" but no, I think it really fits the Pokémon to have a language of sorts, without actually speaking human language like Digimons do. So to me, what the anime does is like there was a Pokémon language, where each species has their own "accent" which is most of the times just variation of their own names.

I think anime "cries" would be more suitable if they were ever to implement voice acting for the humans, but only if it's gonna be for everyone and not just two species. But I also like the classic videogame cries. The thing is, since Gen 6 rework, many of them lost their charm, so that's why I'm also not too fond of them at this point. But I guess the best implementation would be to use a toggle between the two styles, but that'd be more work for them.

PokéPark already used anime voice actors, but my only issue with the English dub at least, is that the same actors do multiple Pokémon, like you can always tell which ones are done by the same person, which ends up sounding kind of weird and repetitive.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with "animal cries" is that then what do you want for Bellossom or Gardevoir or Jynx or Porygon or Clefairy or Elekid or idk, there's lots of Pokémon that just don't fit these animal grunts that people want for those like Charizard or Squirtle, etc

Besides that, I think it's always been established that Pokémon are not animals, but a more evolved form of life with a higher intelligence. They form societies, they interact and "talk" to each other, within the same species, and with other Pokémon, most of them are able to "communicate" with their trainers, etc. I know people are gonna be like "yeah but dolphins, or yeah but elephants" but no, I think it really fits the Pokémon to have a language of sorts, without actually speaking human language like Digimons do. So to me, what the anime does is like there was a Pokémon language, where each species has their own "accent" which is most of the times just variation of their own names.

I think anime "cries" would be more suitable if they were ever to implement voice acting for the humans, but only if it's gonna be for everyone and not just two species. But I also like the classic videogame cries. The thing is, since Gen 6 rework, many of them lost their charm, so that's why I'm also not too fond of them at this point. But I guess the best implementation would be to use a toggle between the two styles, but that'd be more work for them.

PokéPark already used anime voice actors, but my only issue with the English dub at least, is that the same actors do multiple Pokémon, like you can always tell which ones are done by the same person, which ends up sounding kind of weird and repetitive.

Those sound absolutely dreadful. I can't inagine playing Arceus or SV wandering around an open field with Pokémon constantly screaming their names again and again with those voices that sound like person doing an impression to entertain a baby or talking to their pet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All they need to do is make the pokemon not sound like they are reusing the Gameboy sound font

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Those sound absolutely dreadful. I can't inagine playing Arceus or SV wandering around an open field with Pokémon constantly screaming their names again and again with those voices that sound like person doing an impression to entertain a baby or talking to their pet
100%. Animal cries work for every species, including the more human-like creatures.

Feb 24, 2018
Something I've been noticing about the Fakemon's for Fuecoco evos is that they all seem to ignore the chili pepper angle in favour of going for a Dino look.

Nothing wrong with that but I just don't see the chilli pepper thing being dropped and if their doing a prehistoric look, I hope it's less Dino and more like the prehistoric cousins of Crocs like the Postosuchus, Fasolasuchus or Arizonasaurus.

Feb 20, 2019
Bannana Fish though

banagnaw_pokedex_by_subjectively5_dezu4fn-fullview.jpg

In all seriousness, i get why pepole have issues with these designs in that they pretty much follow the approach of making it more tough and aggressive.
I do like banana fish though

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I want to lose the distinct cries, that make every Pokemon sound unique and unlike anything else, that you can identify just by hearing it, so that we can have voice actors making funny cartoon noises for every Pokemon, or animalized sounds?

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just the clothes on the new MCs, but they look significant younger than these designs

The above look a lot more stylish and creative too which I prefer. The new ones are thematically sound I guess...but that's it.
I know In X&y and B&W/2 the protagonist are 14-17. The rest I'm not sure depends how old the new ones are it's mainly the school uniforms for me doing it tho

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just the clothes on the new MCs, but they look significant younger than these designs

The above look a lot more stylish and creative too which I prefer. The new ones are thematically sound I guess...but that's it.

They look younger but at the same time th artstyle seems to be more grounded. Maybe the franchise is going for a slightly older audience now (Legends is good indication) so I'm happy about the designs.

What I don't like is the in game models looking like new pokemon snap.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only place where I wish all the anime cries stayed is in Smash, the Melee cries were the best and they only accounted for maybe half of the pokemon. If they're going to go with the natural cries going forward the next Smash game should have a Pokemon Stadium style announcer, there are just way too many pokemon spread too widely over the series' history for most people to recognize them.

brinstar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how you can play PLA and think it'd be improved with all the cries in the background when pokémon spawn replaced with VAs shouting pokémon names lol

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
youtu.be

Guzzlord Screaming Compilation

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!Everytime Guzzlord screamsPokemon Sun and Moon episodes 100, 101, 140SideArms4Reason's Guzzlord video https://youtu.be/koyBobvqM_Q✨ Watch...

I want this in the games.

Otherwise, all the anime cries can stay in the anime, they're lame.

Oct 27, 2017
Anime cries were only for kids to learn the names of Pokemon. They're completely stupid in any other context, especially so in a game that will always show the name of whatever is making the cry on screen

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Cries are iconic and recognizable without the lameness factor of the anime ones. They should stay and be improved upon.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Why would I want to lose the distinct cries, that make every Pokemon sound unique and unlike anything else, that you can identify just by hearing it, so that we can have voice actors making funny cartoon noises for every Pokemon, or animalized sounds?

that's the thing, both anime cries or animal-like grunts would end up sounding very similar to each other, and the point was to make each Pokémon distinguishable.

But if I had to pick between anime or animal, I'd still pick anime :P Maybe because I still watch the anime after all these years so I'm used to it, but there's definitely more voices that are as iconic as Pikachu, such as Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Psyduck, Victreebel, etc.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
that's the thing, both anime cries or animal-like grunts would end up sounding very similar to each other, and the point was to make each Pokémon distinguishable.

But if I had to pick between anime or animal, I'd still pick anime :P Maybe because I still watch the anime after all these years so I'm used to it, but there's definitely more voices that are as iconic as Pikachu, such as Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Psyduck, Victreebel, etc.

I think the nice thing in the end is we have different things for different mediums. I also wouldn't be opposed to specific games with smaller rosters going with the anime sounds.

But at the same time, hearing Pikachu and its cry in Legends, I was quite happy, as it had been so long since I was able to hear it in game.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think the nice thing in the end is we have different things for different mediums. I also wouldn't be opposed to specific games with smaller rosters going with the anime sounds.

But at the same time, hearing Pikachu and its cry in Legends, I was quite happy, as it had been so long since I was able to hear it in game.

I definitely prefer the videogame cry for Pikachu and Eevee. But it's also a matter of consistency, either all of them have the videogame cry or the anime one.

It's as if Pikachu model was in 3D but everyone else was 2D, or idk, just something that made a Pokémon notably different than all the rest, it just clashes, it feels out of place

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Something I was wondering looking at that Zoroark again is, do y'all think that the pokéballs from Legends will turn into normal Pokéballs, Great Balls, etc when transferred to HOME? Or will they retain that classic shape and patterns? Well, I know there's more kinds introduced in Legends, but maybe they just turn into generic blue pokéballs or like, a modernized version of them or idk I think it'll be cool if they stay the same as in Legends.

What I suppose is not getting retained is sizes and alpha status, right? they'll surely become standard size just like the Totem Pokémon from Alola

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Something I was wondering looking at that Zoroark again is, do y'all think that the pokéballs from Legends will turn into normal Pokéballs, Great Balls, etc when transferred to HOME? Or will they retain that classic shape and patterns? Well, I know there's more kinds introduced in Legends, but maybe they just turn into generic blue pokéballs or like, a modernized version of them or idk I think it'll be cool if they stay the same as in Legends.

What I suppose is not getting retained is sizes and alpha status, right? they'll surely become standard size just like the Totem Pokémon from Alola
There was a datamine of PLA that uncovered a special ball in both PLA and BDSP after the update that seems to be the transfer from PLA to the future ball

4waqkq741oc81.jpg

Its the big green one

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I would sacrifice the whole Alola roster to make it real.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
There was a datamine of PLA that uncovered a special ball in both PLA and BDSP after the update that seems to be the transfer from PLA to the future ball

4waqkq741oc81.jpg

Its the big green one

oh I hadn't seen this, or at least I didn't remember the green one. That's cool and sad at the same time, I like it, but it looks more like a "Pokémon HOME" pokéball. I was expecting to see at least a blue pokéball for Feather, Jet and Wing