TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
From a friend:

IMG_0961.jpg

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah they're better come on. Not perfect but still

The gen 2 ones do sound better since they were just cleaned up, but a lot of the gen 1 sound worse quality than the originals somehow? Like they mixed a bunch of noise together and made it harder to hear the actual cry. Look at Charizard, for example, the original is cleaner. Maybe it was an attempt to make them sound more natural, but some of them just sound like grumbling to me.

Still miles and leagues better than any anime cry though.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
There was a datamine of PLA that uncovered a special ball in both PLA and BDSP after the update that seems to be the transfer from PLA to the future ball

4waqkq741oc81.jpg

Its the big green one

Bah, they can't just do the obvious thing and turn Old Pokeballs into Pokeballs, can they? Guess nothing from PLA will be contributing to my Pokeball-only Living Dex, then.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Another thing I want to see is the UI they're gonna use for SV. You can say whatever you want about SwSh, but the UI was definitely high quality, it was very modern and fresh and elegant, it had the right font style and size, perfect icons, great distribution, the colors weren't so saturated and childish.

From the menus
Pokmon-Sword-and-Shield06132020-034813-77656.jpg

to the battle screen
Pokmon-Sword-and-Shield06132020-034811-30729.jpg

the boxes
Pokmon-Sword-and-Shield06132020-034811-86877.jpg

well, my only complaint with the boxes is that I wish we could see both the stats and the Pokémon model at the same time

the Pokédex was also very easy to read, very clear,
Pokmon-Sword-and-Shield06132020-034813-34749.jpg

everything in general just looks very sleek, so I wish SV continues this path instead of going for something too

Pokémon Legends was also good, but I think it was too tailored for the elements and style of the game
Pokmon-Legends-Arceus03082022-103546-78651.jpg

but my issue with Legends' menus is that is not very intuitive. That thing about using ZL and ZR and other things always have me wondering what is the button I need to use to this day lol

And the boxes just showing the Pokémon faces, I didn't like that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I want to see is the UI they're gonna use for SV. You can say whatever you want about SwSh, but the UI was definitely high quality, it was very modern and fresh and elegant, it had the right font style and size, perfect icons, great distribution, the colors weren't so saturated and childish.

From the menus

to the battle screen

the boxes

well, my only complaint with the boxes is that I wish we could see both the stats and the Pokémon model at the same time

everything in general just looks very sleek, so I wish SV continues this path instead of going for something too
TOUCHSCREEN SUPPORT

SS's UI was practically built for it

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019

From the menus

to the battle screen

the boxes

Pokémon Legends was also good, but I think it was too tailored for the elements and style of the game

but my issue with Legends' menus is that is not very intuitive. That thing about using ZL and ZR and other things always have me wondering what is the button I need to use to this day lol

For sure, the Sword and Shield UI is the best they've done. The menus in Arceus are a mess to use, even if they look pleasing in photos.

Purple

Oct 12, 2021
As much as I love the game, Arceus' menu system is beyond wonky. I can't remember the last time I put 60+ hours into a game and was still accidentally pressing wrong buttons while navigating the UI. Really surprising after how great it was in SwSh.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

From the menus

to the battle screen

the boxes

100%. I always forget how much I enjoyed the UI and Navigation in Sw/Sh until I open it back up for a spell, and every time it is so jarring to go back to any other game after that.

Arceus has some stylish menus that I enjoy the look of, but it's baffling that there are three different buttons that pause the game in different ways, and none of them are on +. I'm in the post game and constantly press the wrong buttons, even now. And that can very easily get you killed. Like when you try to change your active Pokemon, but change your mount instead...mid-flight.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I expect large, high-resolution icons to be the norm for this, including close-ups of the Pokemon faces. People just recognize faces easier. And it was jarring then to see the same old sprite art from maybe the DS games poorly enlarged on the TV on the Switch. So it just seems like a holdover like how they continued to use the gen 6 models in Sword/Shield. They're growing into a more console-centric design, by doing things that couldn't be done on handhelds of before.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Bah, they can't just do the obvious thing and turn Old Pokeballs into Pokeballs, can they? Guess nothing from PLA will be contributing to my Pokeball-only Living Dex, then.

what the heck, when I found out we'd be getting those amazing green pokeballs i was like heck yes i am going to transfer everything

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I expect large, high-resolution icons to be the norm for this, including close-ups of the Pokemon faces. People just recognize faces easier. And it was jarring then to see the same old sprite art from maybe the DS games poorly enlarged on the TV on the Switch. So it just seems like a holdover like how they continued to use the gen 6 models in Sword/Shield. They're growing into a more console-centric design, by doing things that couldn't be done on handhelds of before.
They updated the sprites in SWSH. Also I'd argue the full body pixelated sprites are more recognizable than the round circle with a face in it from Legends.

For all the shit I give SWSH I'll agree that the UI there is the best it's ever been. I already miss those type icons.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They updated the sprites in SWSH. Also I'd argue the full body pixelated sprites are more recognizable than the round circle with a face in it from Legends.

For all the shit I give SWSH I'll agree that the UI there is the best it's ever been. I already miss those type icons.
It definitely feels harder to find specific Pokémon in Legends than in SWSH

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil

Agreed. Searching for a gray Pokémon in PLA is a nightmare.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GF: press minus to sort the items in your bag

Me: cool, that works with the pasture right?

GF: ...

Me: ...right?

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
man, SwSh has arguably the best UI across any JRPG let alone pokemon games; it's efficient, beautiful, and modern.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think SwSh's UI is way too bland.

Anyways, I also prefer menu sprites for Pokemon, they just need to represent shinies.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
The pastures work the same as PCs. I'm glad there isn't a permanent auto-sort shortcut, as it would fuck up up my organization style. Maybe a temp one would be okay.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pastures work the same as PCs. I'm glad there isn't a permanent auto-sort shortcut, as it would fuck up up my organization style. Maybe a temp one would be okay.
I just want to find a pokemon I'm looking for fast. the pasture is straight garbage for sorting and finding. even the search is trash because it doesn't even list what you want, just greys what isn't your search.

I just released a load of pokemon for grit and now I'm saddled with all these holes across 11 pages. why is there no button to push everything up? and for that matter, why doesn't this game have a "go to pokedex entry" shortcut? that's the primary reason I even keep going back to the pastures

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I learned quickly that the best way to handle the pastures was to organize my collection starting with Pasture 5, and letting new catches clog up the first four. Made everything so much more manageable.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to find a pokemon I'm looking for fast. the pasture is straight garbage for sorting and finding. even the search is trash because it doesn't even list what you want, just greys what isn't your search.

I just released a load of pokemon for grit and now I'm saddled with all these holes across 11 pages. why is there no button to push everything up? and for that matter, why doesn't this game have a "go to pokedex entry" shortcut? that's the primary reason I even keep going back to the pastures

It's especially frustrating because they solved this exact problem perfectly well in LGPE, and then just completely forgot about it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even buy BDSP but actually their "sprites" are my favorite. I love the actual sprite art of SWSH but it doesn't always scale up perfectly at high resolution.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't box/pasture always been lacking? I can't remember how it was in SW/SH but I feel like I remember wishing it was easier to navigate and sort things. Regardless it was definitely bad in PLA and I sincerely hope it gets fixed. Especially when the game did a much better job at actually encouraging you to catch a bunch of stuff.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Hasn't box/pasture always been lacking? I can't remember how it was in SW/SH but I feel like I remember wishing it was easier to navigate and sort things. Regardless it was definitely bad in PLA and I sincerely hope it gets fixed. Especially when the game did a much better job at actually encouraging you to catch a bunch of stuff.
I do hope SV, and hell pokemon Home too, introduce some sort of autosort feature eventually, just being able to press a button and sort by type/level/dex number etc would be so helpful

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

SwSh was way better and faster than BDSP at least

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Nothing will ever be worst than the disparity in organization features between the Switch and mobile versions of Home.

Want to change boxes on the go? Too bad, only Switch can do that
Want to assign labels on Switch? Nope, take out your phone instead.

Labels are such a powerful organization tool but the segmentation is just so dumb. Home really needs more features. Remember Great Oak? What ever happened to him?

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Nothing will ever be worst than the disparity in organization features between the Switch and mobile versions of Home.

Want to change boxes on the go? Too bad, only Switch can do that
Want to assign labels on Switch? Nope, take out your phone instead.

Labels are such a powerful organization tool but the segmentation is just so dumb. Home really needs more features. Remember Great Oak? What ever happened to him?
Agreed, Home is like a quarter of a good app on each platform. There's no good reason for the feature segmentation at all.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I really hope regional variants return in this game. I do wonder how many will end up being Ice Type like with Alola.