Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
7ZshPJn.png

I still have no idea what Lysandre's motives are or what the fuck he's trying to do. What the fuck is going on here?

Oops wrong forum.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Sounds like he wants more people and more pokémon so there are foolish actions.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Any time Pokemon games get story heavy they become utterly painful. No skipping cutscenes either.....

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Pokemon is at a weird stage where it wants to make its plot more of a thing compared to previous games but it simultaneously half-asses the shit out of them. I'd love a Pokemon game with a good plot, but I prefer the early nearly non-existent stories to the stuff we get nowadays lol

(I did actually enjoy BW's story though)

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
So you managed to avoid Xenoblade Chronicles 2 AND Fire Emblem Birthright/Conquest?

I found Sun/Moon's writing worse because I had to be subjected to so much more of it than in X/Y.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Lysandre's goals are actually pretty simple to understand. He's basically a generic anime villain who wants to "purify" the world of everyone and everything he deems unworthy, except he's a hypocrite and an elitist because the only way you are allowed to be "saved" in his eyes is pay a massive fee to join Team Flare.

But yes the writing in X/Y and Pokemon in general is serviceable at best, downright bad at worst.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon needs to either have no story or hire actual writers (prior Pokemon games couldn't have been written by human beings, right?)

I hear the writing and characters of the Pokemon Sun and Moon anime is actually pretty solid. Maybe hire them?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Most Pokemon games feel like this. Pokemon is at its absolute worst when they try to take the subject matter deathly serious.

You ain't played many games then OP.

Kingdom Hearts 3 just came out.

Kingdom Hearts feels comparable in how its a completely silly concept played completely straight.
The difference I think is that's always been one of the appeals of Kingdom Hearts

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Go to Lumiose and talk to any random NPC on the street

Feast upon the fucking least natural text dialogue you've ever seen

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah it was a big letdown coming off of Gen 5. The pieces are all there but the execution, oh lord. I still like the game regardless but man.

Read Pokemon Special everyone.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I remember being pretty put off by it. I honestly think Pokémon stories are at their best when it's incredibly simple. It feels like they might think they just have to keep topping how insane the last gen's story was but I would be completely fine with them toning it down and grounding it more.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't expect much from Pokemon but XY just shat itself with its story and characters. The final battle with Team Flare jsut kinda happens and you move on to go complete the game.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
ummm I was a bit underwhelmed at this

I mean I can make sense of this, much more than that OP image anyway lol
I mean, I think the joke is less that what Lysandre is saying is incomprehensible and more that he's VERY clearly a deranged bad guy and yet nobody seems to take this very seriously or confront him despite how obviously evil he sounds.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
7ZshPJn.png

I still have no idea what Lysandre's motives are or what the fuck he's trying to do. What the fuck is going on here?

Oops wrong forum.

He basically believes that if there are too many resources people take them for granted and that will lead to ruin afterwards. The world needs to be cleansed and in spite of initially saying it shouldn't fall upon men to decide to who is worthy of the new world, he took that choice for himself. He'd save a few humans chosen by him and kill everyone else. He also would kill all Pokemon since he believes the powers brought by them are great resources that will inevitably lead to human evil.

"When I was young, I went on a journey around Kalos with my Pokemon. I reached out to help those suffering because they had nothing. At first, they were grateful, but eventually, they began to take my help for granted and demand more and more… Will fools like those people consume the Kalos region? This world is stable and secure. So the population of people and Pokemon continues to increase unabated. But there is a limit to the amount of money and energy the world is capable of producing. Either everything is lost, or only a handful are saved. This is something best not left to man… I must use a tool of higher power."

"Pokémon... Shall no longer exist. Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!"

"This world will eventually reach the point of no return... Saving the lives of all is impossible. Only the chosen ones will obtain a ticket to tomorrow. Do you want to have a ticket? Or, do you want to stop me? Show me in battle."

ummm I was a bit underwhelmed at this

I mean I can make sense of this, much more than that OP image anyway lol
In that part he's just being very indirect about saying that people need to die to improve the world, which is why his wording is so odd. He only outright starts talking about "filth" and "cleansing" once he announces his plans openly and is about to fire a giant cannon.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Lysandre believes humanity is corrupt and in order to fix the world he must wipe the slate clean and start over. He plans on going about doing this by using the Ultimate Weapon to literally commit global genocide, on both people and pokemon.

So of course the people who he enlists to help in this global genocide consist of idiots who constantly make poses and are obsessed with fashion?!?!??!

Wrong board, but agreed.

2013-11-25.jpg

This will never fail to make me laugh, Lysandre is so fucking ridiculous.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Go play Fire Emblem Fates, specially Conquest and Revelations, OP, then come back.
Those aren't only bad, they're awful.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The biggest issue with Lysandre plan is that he's worried about things we see mentioned but never see. What wars?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being pretty put off by it. I honestly think Pokémon stories are at their best when it's incredibly simple. It feels like they might think they just have to keep topping how insane the last gen's story was but I would be completely fine with them toning it down and grounding it more.

Lysandre felt like basically Vaccine Man (from One Punch Man) only played completely straight as the main antagonist. They have already done parallel-dimensional bizarro villains so id assume they can only tone it way down from there, but you know Dynamax is going to play into the story in some insane way.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've actually yet to play a KH game because I've heard the story goes completely off the rails. I wanted to "jump in" at KH3 but I know I'll be confused as hell.

How many times can you stand the word "heart" being repeated in the most generic anime fashion possible. Example:

"You know nothing about hearts or love."

"All around us we are surrounded by hearts."

"Now, I'm gong to combine your heart with mine",

etc, etc...

Guess OP hasn't made it to Sun & Moon yet.

Sun and Moons villians are top tier how dare you insult da Skull Bois!

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Comparatively XY actually had less of a story than Black/White or Sun/Moon. During most of the game Team Flare is just Team Rocket with red suits, it's just Lysandre gets a few moments hinting at and then revelating his real plan right at the end, but he barely has a full page of dialogue.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the story of a rich technocrat with messianic delusions seems fairly poignant, if not slightly ahead of its time.

Understanding this, it becomes entirely on-brand that Team Flare are just a bunch of bumbling rich people with peculiar fashion.

OP
OP
Uncle at Nintendo

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Sun/Moon goes off the rails with weird dimensional travels and domestic abuse, but it doesn't have straight up shit like AZ, who feels like the developers forgot to cut him out.