• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Basically an insider known as the "VR Plant Leaker" (leaked that fire piranha plant would be joining Mario Tennis Aces and that Smash was getting a VR mode days before the announcements) has been feeding a YouTuber named Papa Genos lot's of info recently that's all been 100% correct so far. Here's their info they have, alebit vague, on Sword and Shield:

-Wild Pokemon are like Pokemon Let's Go (not sure about catching mechanics)
- "Open World" in routes
-Will have raid battles for local and online
-Release date is November 15th

Curious to see how this info will pan out for tomorrow's direct.

Edit: more VR Plant Leaker cred

DOUBLE EDIT: IT'S ALL REAL

Triple Edit: New trailer may have confirmed stuff that was leaked in an old 4chan post

t6x5WQn.png

Transcribed:

-Your rival is named Hop, but you will also be facing of against Bede and Marnie

-Team Yell is the gang in this game, who are well meaning fans of Marnie causing trouble

-To become part of the gym challenge, you will have to get an endorsement. Bede gets an endorsement from Chairman Rose and his secretary Oleana

-Eternatus is the evil legendary. The other legendary will be a wolf, who will either have a shield mane or hold a sword like Great Wolf Sif. Don't recall its name

-Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing are new dynamics that will supersize pokemon in specific areas. Gigantamaxing is different from dynamax as it changes what the Pokemon looks like. Meowth looks like a long cat. Lapras gets layers like musical bars to its shell and music notes. Pikachu looks like retro fat pikachu

-Sonia is Leon's former rival who is researching the dynamax phenomenon at the behest of her grandmother and professor of the game

-Some pokemon, like Farfetchd, will get regional evolutions, like Sirfetchd. Meowth looks like a ball of spiky grey fur.

-Skwovet and Greedunt iirc are chipmunk pokemon whol will hide in berry trees and attack randomly if you shake for too many berries. If they attack, you lose half of the berries that dropped

-The fourth gym is the first Fairy type gym, led by an actress named Opal. Milo, Nessa, and Kabu are the first ones

-Before fighting the gym leaders, you have to complete the gym challenges:
1. Milo has you herding sheep pokemon named Wooloo, but Pamper, electric corgi pokemon, will startle them and send them rolling elsewhere
2. Nessa has you running through a maze where water blocks the way
3. Kabu requires you to catch pokemon and get 5 points, byt you have to be in a party battle with another trainer who's also trying to catch it

-While there is a transit system, you will have to go through the Wild Area at times, an open world biome that has a weather system and little pockets where will pokemon dynamax and have to be beaten in for a person raid. You will randomly see nearby players and interact with them to get their league cards and items

-Camping is how you play with pokemon now. You'll get two toys, a feather toy and toy pokeball, which can raise friendship. You can make curry which will raise stats and friendliness

-Pokemon will not walk besides you in the overworld map

-Scorbunny will have fighting moves, but is pure fighter (may have meant "pure fire" ?). It becomes Raboot, but I don't remember the final evolution, except that it looks like a fighter. It looks humanoid.

-Sobble becomes Sizzle and then Intelleon, a chameleon with a spy theme

-Grookey will end up as a giant gorilla that beats a wood drum to attack

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of anything more irritating than taking the catching mechanics of Let's Go and sticking them into mainline Pokemon >.<

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If the wild Pokemon are like in Let's Go, does that mean they appear in the field? If so, maybe they disabled their appearance in the footage so far to avoid TEH SPOILERZ.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
If the catching mechanics are like the older games but with the visual monsters on the field, sign me up. Maybe have some "jump scare" encounters to go with it. But no random encounters has been one of my favourite JRPG trends over recent years (most recently DQ11) and I would love to see it continue here.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Open world routes? I wonder how HMs and gym levels will be done. Also, Death Stranding and Pokemon Sword in the span of a week...

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Pokemon running about in the overworld will get me pretty on board. I don't want to go back to tall grass after Let's Go, personally.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. We saw one of the routes was very much linear. So? I feel like that instantly writes that off.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully this means visible Pokémon in the wild rather than motion controls.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Pokemon would be like super nice and I guess makes sense that it might not have been enabled in the previous stuff.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
id be SO fucking downf for open world routes. Like I assume they're saying that routes will be little bubble/hubs with connections to other maps and you can walk all around instead of just a predetermined limited path.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The only way I understand why Pokemon didn't appear in over world is because GF disabled them to prevent them from popping up before reveal

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
This seems like fake. We have already seen wild encounters in tall grass in Pokémon Sword and Shield (go back and watch the announcement trailer).

Edit: They could of course changed stuff since then I guess

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. We saw one of the routes was very much linear. So? I feel like that instantly writes that off.
Might be like Evil Within 2 where it's a mix of linear and open. Maybe there are several large sandbox-y "routes." Looking at the map of Galar, the farmland section down south looks rather open.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't mind a mix of random Pokemon in tall grass plus some monsters wandering the fields. The ability to gradually move to something more akin to DQ11 is what I'd like to see.

Larger, and more branched paths in the routes would be great too, not necessarily "open world". Though the center area of the region looks like a big open space.

Raids with larger Pokemon that you have to fight with two or three of your own team sounds like a fun addition. Maybe more? Teaming up with others?

Can't wait to find out.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it if GF gave us the choice of catching pokemon the old way or the Let's Go way. Maybe doing it the old way gives you an extra something for your efforts if you're into the hardcore aspect of the series. I would rather not go back to "the old way" since I really just want to complete my pokedex for myself and want no part of the competitive aspect. Let's Go was the first time I have completed my Pokedex since R/B/Y thanks to the new mechanics, plus seeing the pokemon wandering the area actually makes me want to catch them even if I already caught that type before.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
If the catching mechanics are like the older games but with the visual monsters on the field, sign me up. Maybe have some "jump scare" encounters to go with it. But no random encounters has been one of my favourite JRPG trends over recent years (most recently DQ11) and I would love to see it continue here.

yeah would totally be down with this

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
WabiSabi are also leaking their own info on their Discord. Says 2 gimmicks will be revealed tomorrow.

ZNWyzCf.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind a mix of random Pokemon in tall grass plus some monsters wandering the fields. The ability to gradually move to something more akin to DQ11 is what I'd like to see.

Larger, and more branched paths in the routes would be great too, not necessarily "open world". Though the center area of the region looks like a big open space.

Raids with larger Pokemon that you have to fight with two or three of your own team sounds like a fun addition. Maybe more? Teaming up with others?

Can't wait to find out.
Something something, maybe it's like FFXIII and there's a single, very wide area at the end.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Calling Ultra bullshit

"Guys Sword and Shield will be just like the other main games and not like LGPE"

"Oh wait actually no it's not lol got em"

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Just a few hours and we'll know. At least the larger monsters should be visible on screen tho.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Might be like Evil Within 2 where it's a mix of linear and open. Maybe there are several large sandbox-y "routes." Looking at the map of Galar, the farmland section down south looks rather open.

I hope at least it would be similar to Red/Blue, ex : after getting out of dark cave you can choose to tackle Lavender, Saffron or Celadon in any order.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they could have just disabled the Pokemon for the trailer. I don't really care, direct is in a few hours anyways

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I DO think the water area in the middle looked open enough to simulate a open world but I really doubt they mixed both. I mean we will see in a few hours of course.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Visible Pokémon on the over world was one of the few redeeming qualities from Let's Go. If it's introduced then that's great. A big fat NO for the Let's Go catching mechanics though but I doubt this is likely at all.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Hoping they combine Go's catching with the prior method. Battle wild monsters -> throw ball and time it correctly for an improved chance of catch would be compelling. I've always spammed A when I tossed a ball - it'd be nice if they made that into a mechanic.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Also I kind of doubt the Go catching mechanics are there. A mix of the two (Pokemon on the Overworld + Old school catching) would be ideal.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fake and I hope it's fake. Enough with disappointments, just make a normal Pokémon game.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I mean they could have just disabled the Pokemon for the trailer. I don't really care, direct is in a few hours anyways
Honestly I find it strange. I think that the intention of showing traditional encounters in the trailer was to make us understand that for these games we won't have visibile wild Pokemon unlike Pokemon Let's Go, avoiding all the future complaints after false hopes.