• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
"don't level up all your pokemon in amie/refresh"
well maybe i want a sylveon party

Jokes aside, it's still a weird situation. Camp is going to be a new system that they're going to encourage you to use at least once without being very clear about what the benefits are (if Amie/Refresh are any indication), and encourage you to play with your team or miss out on some of the content that they've added in.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't want Pokemon cries to go away, those are more charming than any 40 year old dude screaming a monster's name into a microphone could ever be.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
With the dex cuts and upon realizing Marill still isn't confirmed for the game, it made me wonder if they'd do something like dump Azurill and give Azumarill a new regional evolution.

I really doubt it.

The Pokémon that don't appear in SwSh aren't getting dumped. They'll still exist in Home (and any other aspect of the franchise) and surely in future games.

I don't think they'll ever make 4 stages evolutionary families (without counting Megas)

Oct 26, 2017
More than voice acted characters and such, I want actual pokemon voices. I'm tired of the cries, just give me the actual noises the pokemon make in the anime.

Those would run into the same 9 languages issue, as a lot of Pokemon have different names in different languages.
You'd also need an insane amount of VAs to cover everything for each language individually, never mind for all languages combined.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could show you my Hall Of Fame in Y with my team that had EXP Share on for the whole thing if you don't believe me. I fought every trainer and by gym 5 I was overleveled. I never grind.
I never said I don't believe you. I just don't put stock in the overleveling stuff since my experience never matches those comments. shit, I struggled against Seibold until I became overleveled. there's more ways to level up since they added catching pokemon to boost levels. I don't catch much more than I need for a party

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
there's more ways to level up since they added catching pokemon to boost levels

I only ever caught five Pokemon in Y to fill out my team, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I'm pretty draconian with Pokemon, I catch the mons I want on my team and maybe a couple for HM purposes. Maybe a legendary or two. Obviously a shiny if I see it (the only shiny I ever saw that wasn't on an emulator was a Pelipper in gen 7... thankfully I caught it despite it being an obnoxious horde battle).

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how The Pokémon Company works. They will either dub in every language or not dub at all.

The Pokémon Company is very very proud of their international support. They are not Nintendo.

Not how it works? They choose how they work. They've never dubbed a game before (as far as I know?) so there aren't any rules. But dubs in English + Japanese are how most international releases work. It would work well enough here as well. They would get more praise for Japanese + English dubs than they would get flack for not also have a dub in French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Just like FROM Software refuse to add difficulty options I guess? It's their game and they can do what they think is best. Also where does it say that they don't give a shit about concerns over the national dex? They have already said multiple times that they have discussed it in length and thought about it long and hard. They give a shit, they just disagree with the vocal minority over what is best for the franchise.
What you fail to account for is that From Software has never really added an easy mode before, and even then, a lot of people (like me) still clamor for one. Gamefreak, however, has included the ability to toggle EXP. Share off since they added it, and there is absolutely no reason why it should be gone.
The fact the box is portable is why they removed the option to turn off exp share, because if you wanna level up a single Pokémon at once you can deposit the other ones easily anywhere.
Also if you really want options the fact you can have a portable box shouldn't impact you, just don't use it to make the game easier.
This still does not explain why they cut it whatsoever. This does not address the issue of the feature being gone, instead tries to downplay it by finding ways around it. There is no reason why we can't have both. If you find one, please tell me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only if you choose to do so though. Completely down to you if you want to make things easier for yourself, the game isn't going to force you.

Well that's the issue for some people, they like to be "forced" into a certain difficulty, artificially making things harder on yourself isn't as satisfying for everyone. Just knowing you could swap your Pokemon out whenever tempts you to make use of it if necessary.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't mind the PC box being accessible at all times assuming it doesn't autoheal your Pokemon. It doesn't change the way I play, I can just ignore it (although I certainly prefer that to running back to the Pokecenter).

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I really doubt it.

The Pokémon that don't appear in SwSh aren't getting dumped. They'll still exist in Home (and any other aspect of the franchise) and surely in future games.

I don't think they'll ever make 4 stages evolutionary families (without counting Megas)
I mean, it would be Galarian Marill, though. The same way they say only Galarian Linoones can evolve into Obstagoon, they can just say Galarian Marills don't produce Azurill. Galarian Marill, Galarian Azumarill, and new evolution would functionally still be a 3-Pokemon evolution line.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the PC box being accessible at all times assuming it doesn't autoheal your Pokemon. It doesn't change the way I play, I can just ignore it (although I certainly prefer that to running back to the Pokecenter).

It didn't auto heal in Let's Go, so it's safe to assume it won't here as well

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What you fail to account for is that From Software has never really added an easy mode before, and even then, a lot of people (like me) still clamor for one. Gamefreak, however, has included the ability to toggle EXP. Share off since they added it, and there is absolutely no reason why it should be gone.
They have difficulty mode built in to the game design. What weapons you use, if you're using magic, etc

The reason why it should be gone is if the game's difficulty is based around the fact that exp share is gone, rather than previous games that are balanced (or not balanced) for the fact that the player might or might not use it. Whether they balanced that for Sw/Sh, we'll have to wait and see.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Those would run into the same 9 languages issue, as a lot of Pokemon have different names in different languages.
You'd also need an insane amount of VAs to cover everything for each language individually, never mind for all languages combined.
Sure, it would be a ton of people. But it's a record it once in high quality and you're good to go for that pokemon. Each person would do multiple lines of pokemon and I think it would end up being a lot less time consuming/costly than you think. The cries just don't do anything for me so I play the games muted, soundtrack be damned.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This still does not explain why they cut it whatsoever. This does not address the issue of the feature being gone, instead tries to downplay it by finding ways around it. There is no reason why we can't have both. If you find one, please tell me.
Developers always think about how they can streamline things so that general players can have a better experience without having to think about it. You don't have to agree with it or like it, but that's how things work.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
They have difficulty mode built in to the game design. What weapons you use, if you're using magic, etc

The reason why it should be gone is if the game's difficulty is based around the fact that exp share is gone, rather than previous games that are balanced (or not balanced) for the fact that the player might or might not use it. Whether they balanced that for Sw/Sh, we'll have to wait and see.
No, that's not a justification. I'll bring up my previous quote once again:

Let's say we live in fantasy land where Sword and Shield are perfectly finetuned and balanced for the new EXP Share system. Tell me why having the option of turning it off and allowing it for those players who want to play with an extra challenge takes away from that.

In other words, why is reducing the player options a good thing? There is no such thing as a perfect balance for everyone, which is why it is important to have options for players and taking them away is a net loss.
Developers always think about how they can streamline things so that general players can have a better experience without having to think about it. You don't have to agree with it or like it, but that's how things work.
I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say here. Removing an options is... streamlining things?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

What you fail to account for is that FROM has used mechanics that have made their games easier before then taken that away too.

There are plenty of other ways to make Pokemon games harder and by the sounds of it some of the content itself will be hard too.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
What you fail to account for is that FROM has used mechanics that have made their games easier before then taken that away too.

There are plenty of other ways to make Pokemon games harder and by the sounds of it some of the content itself will be hard too.
Ok:

Let's say we live in fantasy land where Sword and Shield are perfectly finetuned and balanced for the new EXP Share system. Tell me why having the option of turning it off and allowing it for those players who want to play with an extra challenge takes away from that.

What is the reason for taking away an option exactly?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If Dark Souls was a 20 year franchise that had a difficulty option, then suddenly it had it taken away, I think people would have a right to be upset over that.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What is the reason for taking away an option exactly?
The creators want to make a fine tuned experience wherein they have more control over what level people will likely be. That doesn't have to—and won't—convince you, but that's the answer.

Maybe you can just cycle pokemon in and out of the box if you want to make it harder on yourself and stay underleveled. Considering there's pc access in the wild area, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Well.
No.
No it isn't.

In fact, it is laughable that you think having to go into a portable PC to change your party disposition every time you want to "turn EXP. Share off" is streamlining things. If anything, it is the absolute opposite.
It's streamlining things for people who used to leave it on, which they say is the majority of people.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you can just cycle pokemon in and out of the box if you want to make it harder on yourself. Considering there's pc access in the wild area, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do
In other words you have to basically have to keep only a single Pokemon on you at all times. Completely taking away from the team building aspect of the entire franchise.

There's no good justification for forcing EXP share on you. It doesn't even streamline things for people that left them on, cause it was on by default in past games.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Because they wanted to? You can disagree with it as much as you want, keep complaining, whatever, it's not going to change the fact that there are plenty of other options to make the games easier and more difficult.
You are not addressing the issue. Even if there are more options, please explain to me the reasoning behind taking away one of them.
The creators want to make a fine tuned experience wherein they have more control over what level people will likely be. That doesn't have to—and won't—convince you, but that's the answer.

Maybe you can just cycle pokemon in and out of the box if you want to make it harder on yourself. Considering there's pc access in the wild area, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do
And? Because it is "their answer" (assuming it is) I should just accept it?
As I explained before, there is no reason why I should have to go through more loops to make the game harder just because they randomly decided to take away an option for no reason. There is no benefit to doing that. Absolutely none.
It's streamlining things for people who used to leave it on, which they say is the majority of people.
What? People that want to leave it on don't care about this in the first place. How is this streamlining things in any way?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It was already on by default. What is being streamlined?
It's an item that's given to you and requires an explanation. Then people have to wonder if it's better to leave it on or turn it off, or maybe juggle between leaving it on and turning it off just sometimes. They don't want people to worry about those things, as they feel it doesn't offer any huge benefit.
I mean take Apple for example. They are known to remove options and simplify things even when they are already simple just so that users don't have to worry about anything and they can have a curated experience just as they think it's best for their customers. It's the same principle. You don't have to like it or agree with it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The main thing to look for in difficulty is the enemy trainer movesets anyway.

See if they've got Elite 4 Pokemon that have STAB and Coverage moves that can hit all types, including those that it would normally be weak to. Or if we are back to Let's Go "The Elite 4 should only have 3 moves on each of their pokemon, right? We don't want to make things too hard on the player, do we?"

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
"If you don't want the Exp Share on then you can have one Pokemon in your party at a time and swap it out between each battle, and also skip the battles"

Jesus Christ lmao

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's an item that's given to you and requires an explanation. Then people have to wonder if it's better to leave it on or turn it off, or maybe juggle between leaving it on and turning it off just sometimes. They don't want people to worry about those things, as they feel it doesn't offer any huge benefit.
I mean take Apple for example. They are known to remove options and simplify things even when they are already simple just so that users don't have to worry about anything and they can have a curated experience just as they think it's best for their customers. It's the same principle. You don't have to like it or agree with it.
In other words they think making players think is bad. That doesn't bode well for the game.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The main thing to look for in difficulty is the enemy trainer movesets anyway.

See if they've got Elite 4 Pokemon that have STAB and Coverage moves that can hit all types, including those that it would normally be weak to. Or if we are back to Let's Go "The Elite 4 should only have 3 moves on each of their pokemon, right? We don't want to make things too hard on the player, do we?"

The thing is, it would be weird if every Trainer was super smart, too.

Like, it would make sense that a Veteran or a Cool Trainer uses complex strategies and mechanics to win, but it would be weird to have a kid being a master tactician.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
How many times does it need to be said that they are balancing around exp being shared for the team? there is no option anymore because the item no longer exists, past games weren't balanced around EXP shared, people think turning off EXP share was the way to make the game harder, but it was turning it on that made the game easier it's different, if Sword and Shield end up being easy or hard is not going to be because the way EXP is gained.
Being able to turn it off while the game is balanced around it being on would be ideal

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
"If you don't want the Exp Share on then you can have one Pokemon in your party at a time and swap it out between each battle, and also skip the battles"

Jesus Christ lmao
But that's streamlining for us core fans! This is our game!

The excuses for not having a "do you want to turn off the exp share" prompt is hilarious. A simple command, straight to the point. On/Off. That's it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, it would be weird if every Trainer was super smart, too.

Like, it would make sense that a Veteran or a Cool Trainer uses complex strategies and mechanics to win, but it would be weird to have a kid being a master tactician.

Now don't go dumping on Tristan like that,

hqdefault.jpg

He worked all the way up to get a competitive team to challenge for the championship, he's perfectly in his right to have a good AI to use it with as well.

Ok I know what you mean, don't start the beginning routes with really hard stuff. It's going to vary on trainer to trainer. Victory Road Trainers, Gym Leaders, Elite 4 should have good sets though. Your Rival should start with really basic sets and gradually develop more complex sets as the game progresses as well.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, let's say this is their explanation. Do you agree with it or are you against it?
I don't mind either way because this particular feature doesn't impact me but I might feel differently if it was about something I care about, like the option to go from Switch to Set battles

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind either way because this particular feature doesn't impact me but I might feel differently if it was about something I care about, like the option to go from Switch to Set battles
Out of curiosity, have they even confirmed if set battles are in? I know it would be extremely odd to remove them, but I would have said the same about the ability to turn off EXP share.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, have they even confirmed if set battles are in? I know it would be extremely odd to remove them, but I would have said the same about the ability to turn off EXP share.
Well set battles are how competitive works, and they do actually affect gameplay. I don't think they're comparable. But anyways people have played the game so if they weren't in we would know by now

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Then why do you go to these lengths to excuse GF for this? Do you honestly believe that what GF is doing, according to you, is worth the loss of a feature?
I'm not excusing them. You can criticize their decision, think it's stupid, and want them to revert it back. But it's still something developers think about when making games and they didn't remove it out of spite or laziness.